• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

onan

Quote from: HumanBeing on January 01, 2016, 01:18:04 PM
Ian didn't do too well when the topic was outside his belief system. I expect that naturally but he didn't hide it very well.

Agreed. It always seemed to me that Ian was popular more because Dave has always been horrid. I don't think I could give Ian a listen. I was always bothered by his over qualified questions. It especially seemed to me that he wanted to always be the smartest guy in the room and that doesn't make for the best interview. Lots of other listeners like him a lot.

Robert

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 01, 2016, 01:16:04 PMIan didn't reject it out of hand, I do hope he is doing better with the tinnitus.
There are types of programs he could do w/o wearing headphones.  It was the headphones that were the problem IIRC.  If he doesn't take phone calls, if he doesn't need a delay, no need for them.  Remote cx can be made that suppress echoes & allow recording.

Robert

Quote from: onan on January 01, 2016, 07:51:33 PMAgreed. It always seemed to me that Ian was popular more because Dave has always been horrid.
No, Ian was popular because he was good even when Noory was quite acceptable.  When Noory started on C2C, I was like, well, he's not Art Bell, but he's not horrid.  I think Noory was actually working at the show in the beginning, but gradually stopped doing so.  Ian kept giving the same effort all along.  He would take the trouble to get to know a subject.  If that resulted in his being a know-it-all, at least that's better than a don't-care-about-it-all.  John Batchelor often in his questions reveals he knows a lot about the subject, but that doesn't seem to hurt his interviewing; sometimes he'll ask a leading Q & the interviewee corrects him.  I don't recall any interviewee's being cowed into going along w Ian, because for me at least he never projected the air that to contradict him would be to get on his bad side.

onan

Quote from: Robert on January 01, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
No, Ian was popular because he was good even when Noory was quite acceptable.  When Noory started on C2C, I was like, well, he's not Art Bell, but he's not horrid. 

You say tomato, I say brussel sprouts. In all honesty, I don't remember any specifics from then. I do remember thinking: I can't believe Art said he gets it.

I don't want to get into an argument about Ian. He is much better than dave. But, you have to admit, Ian, often over qualified his questions. To me, it seemed he did so to show how smart he was/is. That, again, to me, made him harder to listen to.

Uncle Duke

I always enjoyed Ian's annual D B Cooper show, that story still fascinates me.  My favorite single show with him  was his interview with one of the "we never went to the moon" wackjobs.  Ian made the guy look a bigger goofball than he was.

whytide

Bring back Ian Punnett

paladin1991

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 02, 2016, 07:46:22 AM
I always enjoyed Ian's annual D B Cooper show, that story still fascinates me.  My favorite single show with him  was his interview with one of the "we never went to the moon" wackjobs.  Ian made the guy look a bigger goofball than he was.

Yeah.  The DB Cooper show.  And the occasional updates.  Ian had an interest that always showed through as genuine somehow beyond the usual give and take .

whytide

Quote from: paladin1991 on January 02, 2016, 12:57:02 PM
Ian had an interest that always showed through as genuine

This is impossible to fake.

This "genuine interest" combined with a good voice, interviewing skill (not just reading a prefab list of Qs; following up on answers; not talking down to audience; minimal umming, etc.), intelligence and general knowledge, and courage make a good talk show.

Art Bell had all the above, and so did Ian Punnett in my view. Art Bell and Ian Punnett are very different broadcasters but were both great.

BobGrau

I'd be happy to hear Ian again, but... geez is it worth the hassle?

Nebraska888

Quote from: BobGrau on January 03, 2016, 02:08:31 AM
I'd be happy to hear Ian again, but... geez is it worth the hassle?

As I always say:  I miss Ian.

Uncle Duke

After hearing Mary Roach interviewed last night by George and last week by NPR automaton Terry Gross, I was reminded what a talented radio interviewer Ian was.  Looking forward to reading Mary's new book, "Grunt'.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on June 14, 2016, 04:52:42 PM
After hearing Mary Roach interviewed last night by George and last week by NPR automaton Terry Gross, I was reminded what a talented radio interviewer Ian was.  Looking forward to reading Mary's new book, "Grunt'.
Mary Roach was fun even though Norry was doing his usual googling things and then giving comments like he had so many facts known in his head. And he got so nervous when Mary mentioned "penis"- "this is a family show," guess what Norry, you won't have families without a penis (well, ok, until recently.) It was funny though. I miss Ian also, especially when religious callers or religious crack-pots call in or are guests.

TigerLily

Kind of sorry I missed Mary Roach. But I the whole time I know I would be annoyed with sNoory and remembering how great Ian was interviewing her

albrecht

Quote from: TigerLily on June 14, 2016, 06:53:03 PM
Kind of sorry I missed Mary Roach. But I the whole time I know I would be annoyed with sNoory and remembering how great Ian was interviewing her
It is shame that Ian has sorted gone down the memory-hole. Not many archives of his stuff and I don't recall I Hate Media, Inc replaying any of his shows in SIT or recently. Maybe he had different contract or just wasn't as well liked by audience as Art (well, that is obvious, but he was certainly much better than Norry.) No ultimate archive or many youtube or torrents out there of Ian shows.

littlechris

Quote from: whytide on January 02, 2016, 07:54:43 AM
Bring back Ian Punnett

Definitely. Wish he would post here.

Robert

Quote from: albrecht on June 14, 2016, 07:23:13 PMIt is shame that Ian has sorted gone down the memory-hole.
But Noory mentioned him this week.

paladin1991

Quote from: Robert on June 14, 2016, 08:19:36 PM
But Noory mentioned him this week.
Annnnnnnd.......

Ian's buddy Steve Quack, er Quayle is on with Snoor tonight. I'm sure Steve is happy Ian's gone.

Robert

Quote from: paladin1991 on June 14, 2016, 08:20:27 PMAnnnnnnnd.......
It was just a matter of, "Oh, yes, my colleague Ian interviewed [whoever it was] 3 years ago."  Interesting that Noory went by Ian's 1st name, also I thought it's been 4 yrs. or more he's been off.  Maybe just seems like that long.  I really have a hard time deciding whether he or Art Bell was my favorite overnight m.c. -- leaning towards Ian.

TigerLily

Art Bell,  Ian Punnett, George Knapp ............................ everyone else

JesusJuice

Ian Punnett will be the first half guest on Coast To Coast AM this coming Tuesday. It will be hosted by the King Of Late Night Radio, George Noory. Ian will also be the live chat guest.

>Former Coast to Coast AM host Ian Punnett is working on his PhD from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University. He'll discuss his research at the University as well as his latest book detailing the murder of his family member Verna Garr Taylor - a story as dark and twisty as an old Kentucky backroad on a moonless night. Coast Insiders-- Ian will be our Live Chat guest, just before the show. Have an email reminder sent to you. Open Lines are featured in the second half of the show.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2016/06/21

Quote from: JesusJuice on June 16, 2016, 10:22:11 PM
Ian Punnett will be the first half guest on Coast To Coast AM this coming Tuesday. It will be hosted by the King Of Late Night Radio, George Noory. Ian will also be the live chat guest.

>Former Coast to Coast AM host Ian Punnett is working on his PhD from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University. He'll discuss his research at the University as well as his latest book detailing the murder of his family member Verna Garr Taylor - a story as dark and twisty as an old Kentucky backroad on a moonless night. Coast Insiders-- Ian will be our Live Chat guest, just before the show. Have an email reminder sent to you. Open Lines are featured in the second half of the show.

I like Ian.  I'll be listening. I've missed him.  Would love to see him back in the rotation replacing Lisa Garr.

Morgus

Quote from: JesusJuice on June 16, 2016, 10:22:11 PM

Interesting - Ian as a guest instead of host.
I bet Noory won't allow Ian to say the full title of one of his books though...  ;)

Nebraska888

Quote from: Morgus on June 16, 2016, 11:58:16 PM
Interesting - Ian as a guest instead of host.
I bet Noory won't allow Ian to say the full title of one of his books though...  ;)

Ian will take charge..........looking so forward to hearing him!  Looks like a good program....if Noory keeps his mouth shut.

Quote from: Nebraska888 on June 17, 2016, 11:08:02 AM
Ian will take charge..........looking so forward to hearing him!  Looks like a good program....if Noory keeps his mouth shut.

An update on Paul the Octopus?

albrecht

Audiofile

I'm sure many of you remember the time Ian had Steve Quayle on as a guest  and started challenging him in a manor that Steve was not accustomed to.
As a result, the next time George was on he kept apologizing for the unfair treatment Steve received.  He even had Ian apologize several times for the way he conducted the interview.
I believe it was at this time that Ian began to plan his exit strategy from Coast.
Ian has cited his tinnitus as a reason for leaving Coast.
I always enjoyed the evenings Ian was a host on Coast. He seemed to always be well familiar with the topic and the interview, going so far as to actually reading the books the guest wrote.
Could it be that one of the reasons Ian is going to be a guest on Coast is that he will become a host once again.
I don't know. It's just me thinking.

Love the avi, ready for some TdF

UFQuack

You think his phone will be able to pick up his trademark gasps and breathing?

Followed by an update on the status of his tinnitus and DB Cooper. Well done Snoorch!

TigerLily

Quote from: Audiofile on June 20, 2016, 08:16:56 PM
I'm sure many of you remember the time Ian had Steve Quayle on as a guest  and started challenging him in a manor that Steve was not accustomed to.
As a result, the next time George was on he kept apologizing for the unfair treatment Steve received.  He even had Ian apologize several times for the way he conducted the interview.
I believe it was at this time that Ian began to plan his exit strategy from Coast.
Ian has cited his tinnitus as a reason for leaving Coast.
I always enjoyed the evenings Ian was a host on Coast. He seemed to always be well familiar with the topic and the interview, going so far as to actually reading the books the guest wrote.
Could it be that one of the reasons Ian is going to be a guest on Coast is that he will become a host once again.
I don't know. It's just me thinking.

I like the way you think.  However as you said since he made a gracious exit, not sure he would want to come back but I hope you are right.   Vive le Tour