• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Yorkshire pud

I bet this was pretty scary. Respect to the driver.

US truck driver slides down icy road

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38622002

CornyCrow

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 14, 2017, 04:35:16 PM

Yes.  Where I live there is also a highway with a curve like that which becomes icy.  There are a number of truck accidents on it annually.  In fact, that picuture looks just like it!  People, even in cars, take that curve too fast, not thinking that there could be ice or oil slick on it. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 14, 2017, 04:35:16 PM

I've driven on roads like that before.  Practically impossible if you don't have chains.

whoozit

This place be a tiger that eats it young.

This sucks:( I leave for a few months and I can't logon .
I'm forced to be a real girl

Quote from: Cynthia Shoe Martinez on January 14, 2017, 07:56:21 PM
This sucks:( I leave for a few months and I can't logon .
I'm forced to be a real girl

Don't tell, potato head?

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 14, 2017, 09:57:27 PM
Ringling Bros. circus to close 'The Greatest Show on Earth' after 146 years
I get the idea of animal abuse and certainly understand that kids these days like digital and immediate gratification entertainment but still sad because it was an American institution with a long history. Certainly in a Trump era it should be made "great again." Perhaps reintroducing elephants would help? Certainly they are better off there than being poached by crazed child soldiers for Chinese ivory products? Or worked in some jungle clearing trees for more greenhouse gas producing agriculture? And won't this just mean that the more "fly by night" circuses and fares will become more prevalent? With possible worse abuses and more evil carnies?
ps: brings to mind also the expression, used in various circumstances, about "seeing the elephant."

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 14, 2017, 10:38:42 PM
I get the idea of animal abuse and certainly understand that kids these days like digital and immediate gratification entertainment but still sad because it was an American institution with a long history. Certainly in a Trump era it should be made "great again." Perhaps reintroducing elephants would help? Certainly they are better off there than being poached by crazed child soldiers for Chinese ivory products? Or worked in some jungle clearing trees for more greenhouse gas producing agriculture? And won't this just mean that the more "fly by night" circuses and fares will become more prevalent? With possible worse abuses and more evil carnies?
ps: brings to mind also the expression, used in various circumstances, about "seeing the elephant."

I doubt it. Somethings should fall into the dustbin of history. Don't take this the wrong way but you tend to see animals as objects. You couldn't see anything wrong with Romney strapping his dog to the roof and saw it as akin to letting a dog travel in the back of a flatbed. I don't want to see zoos go this way too thought because of the research involved but even there the trend will be to make these more like nature preserves, allowing the animals to live in their natural habitat.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 14, 2017, 11:09:10 PM
I doubt it. Somethings should fall into the dustbin of history. Don't take this the wrong way but you tend to see animals as objects. You couldn't see anything wrong with Romney strapping his dog to the roof and saw it as akin to letting a dog travel in the back of a flatbed. I don't want to see zoos go this way too thought because of the research involved but even there the trend will be to make these more like nature preserves, allowing the animals to live in their natural habitat.

I agree about the circus.  Truly awful, good riddance.

And with zoos having the animals in natural habitat.  I think going to the zoo to see them gives kids an appreciation for animals, the environment, etc. 

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 14, 2017, 10:18:25 PM
I have mixed feelings about circuses, and just hope this isn't a sign of some sort of apocalypse.

I have similar  mixed feelings. I get it's  probably  time to move away from animal traveling  circus. But i also remember going to the circus  as a kid with my family, it is one of the most vivid  memories  I had going to an event with my parents.

TigerLily

Quote from: Zetaspeak on January 15, 2017, 12:39:54 AM
I have similar  mixed feelings. I get it's  probably  time to move away from animal traveling  circus. But i also remember going to the circus  as a kid with my family, it is one of the most vivid  memories  I had going to an event with my parents.

Now we have to threaten to run away and join Cirque de Soleil

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bateman on January 03, 2017, 09:14:06 PM

Traveling at the speed of light, it took almost six hours for the first bit of data to reach Earth as this photo was transmitted back.

Juan

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on January 15, 2017, 12:04:24 AM
I agree about the circus.  Truly awful, good riddance.
You've obviously never had a night with a trapeze artist.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 14, 2017, 11:09:10 PM
I understand the opinion, and decades of Disney has had its effect, but I still wonder if some elephant wouldn't mind, if just better cared for, rather be in Wisconsin in a heat big-top versus being slain by some wild-eyed, poacher with an AK-47 in the African bush to satisfy some Chinese zillionaire fetish for ivory? Having said that I'm tending to agree thinking about it. Move on. Though I wish the tradition could be kept alive, for example, does anyone have problem with trained dogs, horses, etc being used in a circus or performance?

At some point in human history the "dog" and "horse" were wild and, over years and centuries, "domesticated." Was there a pressure group back then who said "hey, don't collar that wolf/fox/etc" or train it to help us hunt, help detect enemies, fight enemies, retrieve birds, etc because that is animal abuse. When a coyote kills a fawn should we cry and blame the coyote? Assuming the position that Darwin etc was correct and humans are animals why are we held to a higher standard? Or expected to operate differently? (Does any other apex predator act in forethought to protect other animals?) Actually this might be counter-intuitive: maybe the logical and "natural," actions for humans, being animals, would be to WANT to kill off the smarter of the other animals- lest they evolve to rival us.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2017, 03:10:15 PM
Assuming the position that Darwin etc was correct and humans are animals why are we held to a higher standard? Or expected to operate differently?

Well, because you are able to ask that question, while every other creatures can't. A few hundred years ago it was considered a jolly good day out in France to watch a cat being slowly lowered over a fire in a cage, and watch it gradually burn  to death. There are all sorts of practices that die out because we gradually realise they are immoral. I think it's referred to as the expanding circle of empathy, that slowly widens over time. A lot of animal cruelty can be traced back directly to Descartes, who believed that animals were no more than machines who didn't feel pain.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 15, 2017, 03:57:33 PM
Well, because you are able to ask that question, while every other creatures can't. A few hundred years ago it was considered a jolly good day out in France to watch a cat being slowly lowered over a fire in a cage, and watch it gradually burn  to death. There are all sorts of practices that die out because we gradually realise they are immoral. I think it's referred to as the expanding circle of empathy, that slowly widens over time. A lot of animal cruelty can be traced back directly to Descartes, who believed that animals were no more than machines who didn't feel pain.

Yeah, that insensitive bastard Descartes always put himself before the horse.

pate

Limon squeezings and perusal of tubes led to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2vT665bGI

Intar-easting bit...

Leave it to Jung McGivers to test.

Fun and mystique in-evolve Politi_Po-Lease?

Butter Rent/Trunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqMgZzp5l1Q

Aw, full...  Hill, Drum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7OlduP4-AU

No Wonder, Sirius-lee

pate

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 15, 2017, 03:57:33 PM

cat

Not to surprise the victime the actual practice is to gently cajole them into a brick laden sack, perhaps with yarn or even the constituents of the burlap sack, then quickly and playfully tying off the neck of the sack while playfullingly humoring the satan-spawn calmly walk/drive to a suitable body of water (river is preferred) toss them in.

Reports from resuscitated Anglish sailors say that this is a most humane way to go...

I digress, you two should really re-thank this shoddy flaxen shroud of ashes, ashes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjH8QDpBFY

Qwhat taht menz I leave two ewe ruddy eye'd (sum theen)

Quote from: Zetaspeak on January 15, 2017, 12:39:54 AM

Same with me.  I never liked clowns that much but I did enjoy the circus when I went.    All things must pass, I guess.