• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Should the "Ignore User" feature be reinstated?

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 08, 2017, 01:03:40 PM

Should the "Ignore User" feature be enabled?

Yes
36 (65.5%)
No
9 (16.4%)
Allahu Akbar.
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: May 03, 2020, 01:05:22 PM

MV/Liberace!

The feature was disabled because I believe nobody really benefits when vast swaths of written interaction can be permanently hidden due to personal preference. I think everyone should be compelled to occasionally read things they don't like.

Thoughts? Vote in the poll above. Thank you.

GravitySucks

Quote from: mv on August 08, 2017, 01:03:40 PM
The feature was disabled because I believe nobody really benefits when vast swaths of written interaction can be permanently hidden due to personal preference. I think everyone should be compelled to occasionally read things they don't like.

The ignore feature didn't "permanently" hide anything. Individuals can toggle it on and off at their leisure.  And if anyone that wasn't ignored replied to a post, the text of the post was in the reply.

Make it a TurboMode option if you like, but the ignore feature has its merits.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 08, 2017, 01:09:27 PM
The ignore feature didn't "permanently" hide anything. Individuals can toggle it on and off at their leisure.  And if anyone that wasn't ignored replied to a post, the text of the post was in the reply.

Make it a TurboMode option if you like, but the ignore feature has its merits.

Noted, and thank you.

I think it should be reinstated with turbomode.  I only tried to use it once in the past and I found out I became curious wondering what the target of my ignorance was saying so I just dropped it.  I doubt I'll use it but the option should be available.

Gd5150

Part of joining the BellGab "Insiders Club" is access to the new and improved "ignore button" that allows users to ignore those they choose.

For a slightly increased donation one can choose to join the BellGab "Players Club" and receive free insurance against the ignore button preventing them from being ignored.

Do you have what it takes to be a "player".

Quote from: Gd5150 on August 08, 2017, 01:20:27 PM
Part of joining the BellGab "Insiders Club" is access to the new and improved "ignore button" that allows users to ignore those they choose.

For a slightly increased donation one can choose to join the BellGab "Players Club" and receive free insurance against the ignore button preventing them from being ignored.

Do you have what it takes to be a "player".

Who loves you, baby? ;D ;D Now where did I put my lollipop?

But isn't that a form of controlling what others see and don't see?

I used it a couple times, once when one person was just too annoying, and another time when it seemed like several were.  In both instances I turned it off shortly after, and now just scroll past certain posters.

But I believe it should be there, if for no other reason than a shit poster will know they can be ignored by anyone and everyone

ItsOver

I'd really like not being trolled by a certain drama queen who's into cats and Asian chicks.

GravitySucks

I liken it to using twitter. Just because I have an account, it doesn't mean that I should have to view all of Hillary Clinton's tweets to use it.

Funny you should bring it up. Lately every time that I come to Bellgab, there is so much spam that I either scroll, scroll, scroll or just look at one or two posts from the entertaining posters, then leave. I don't know that not being able to see the posts would help, since then there would only be a fraction of the posts from the good posters to view. I think there should be a limit on how many posts someone can make in a given day.

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on August 08, 2017, 02:22:22 PM
Funny you should bring it up. Lately every time that I come to Bellgab, there is so much spam that I either scroll, scroll, scroll or just look at one or two posts from the entertaining posters, then leave. I don't know that not being able to see the posts would help, since then there would only be a fraction of the posts from the good posters to view. I think there should be a limit on how many posts someone can make in a given day.

Ignoring Zaza weeds out most of the superfluous posts.

zeebo

I guess it's better to have than not, but just barely since the original feature is way too weak imho.  I hardly ever ignore anyone, but for those few, I'd like their content totally obliterated from my viewpoint, which I'm thinking is not an option with this forum software.

Dr. MD MD

Words hurt. Everyone needs safe space these days. Break out the crayons and Playdoh!  ;D

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 08, 2017, 04:45:34 PM
Words hurt. ...

Nah more often they're just tedious.  It's like having a mute on your tv - sometimes e.g. after the hundredth Geico ad it's nice to tune them out.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on August 08, 2017, 04:51:56 PM
Nah more often they're just tedious.  It's like having a mute on your tv - sometimes e.g. after the hundredth Geico ad it's nice to tune them out.

I'm sorry that some of the cool people who were here when I first started posting aren't anymore but who knows why that is? People who don't like free speech are just using this as grist for their mill. I imagine that making one of these websites is relatively easy given the resources and tools at our disposal these days. If people really want an Elysium for only the good people then why doesn't anyone create it? Nope. It seems the only two options are leaving Bellgab or complaining about Bellgab.  :D

To me, the ignore feature is a kind of self-selected censorship, and it just grates me the wrong way. 

I vote no. 

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 08, 2017, 04:45:34 PM
Words hurt. Everyone needs safe space these days. Break out the crayons and Playdoh!  ;D
Don't worry snowflake. You're still special. In that special ed kind of way.

(joke)  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on August 08, 2017, 05:15:16 PM
Don't worry snowflake. You're still special. In that special ed kind of way.

(joke)  :D

I've always considered my education special.  ;)

Little Hater

Geez, I thought you'd never ask. I voted 'Yes', not because I don't want to read posts I disagree with ( I read and enjoy posts from the two guys in the UK, and they haven't got anything right since they showed up here). I'd like to be able to Ignore the nitwit trolls who post a dozen times n a row in a thread and spend most of their time here insulting each other.

Lilith

No. 

That would be like having a GabCast where Falkie and/or Falkie Talk is banned, emotionally.  :'(

And most people would miss most of ZaZas High IQ commentary.

Bad.  Just Bad Man!   >:(

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Little Hater on August 08, 2017, 05:35:46 PM
Geez, I thought you'd never ask. I voted 'Yes', not because I don't want to read posts I disagree with ( I read and enjoy posts from the two guys in the UK, and they haven't got anything right since they showed up here). I'd like to be able to Ignore the nitwit trolls who post a dozen times n a row in a thread and spend most of their time here insulting each other.

At least you don't mean me; I love you more than you'll ever know.

zeebo

MV's feather-light touch when it comes to moderation is largely responsible for what's made this forum special over the years.  I'd guess most folks who stick around probably have a pretty high tolerance for conflicting opinions as it is.  However anyone who thinks they're not already ignoring things would have to convince me they've read the entire falkie thread.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: zeebo on August 08, 2017, 05:55:52 PM
MV's feather-light touch when it comes to moderation is largely responsible for what's made this forum special over the years.  I'd guess most folks who stick around probably have a pretty high tolerance for conflicting opinions as it is.  However anyone who thinks they're not already ignoring things would have to convince me they've read the entire falkie thread.

It is a mandatory requirement for turbo plus special mode.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on August 08, 2017, 05:55:52 PM

It's the one thread I really never go to.

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 08, 2017, 06:40:42 PM
It's the one thread I really never go to.

OMG!

Is that even allowed on bellgab?   :o

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on August 08, 2017, 06:56:23 PM
OMG!

Is that even allowed on bellgab?   :o

I've been and even posted a cople times but just no.  :-\

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on August 08, 2017, 07:10:45 PM

Ok then.  :'(

Poor Falkie already has enough people pilled on him there. Any more and the whole thread might collapse.  ;)

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 08, 2017, 07:14:00 PM
Poor Falkie already has enough people pilled on him there. Any more and the whole thread might collapse.  ;)

Right?  ;D