• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Human Stupidity

Started by pyewacket, July 24, 2017, 08:23:48 AM

pyewacket

I can only hope that these people were trolling this show. Shark Week aired a simulated race between Olympic medalist, Michael Phelps, and a CGI great white shark. Apparently, some people felt cheated and put their stupidity on display by taking to social media to express their outrage that Phelps was not put into the water with a real shark. They complained that they took sixty minutes out of their busy lives to watch this show. I'm guessing Sharknado 5 would be a better choice for this crowd.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/07/24/michael-phelps-didnt-actually-race-a-real-shark-on-tv-and-viewers-arent-happy/?utm_term=.4032b83994f2

So what did these people expect? The shark would stand poised on the diving block and jump into the water on cue? The shark would stay in its lane and resist its natural instinct to disable and consume its opponent?

The other interesting issue I question, is how an Olympic swimmer capable of a top speed of 6 miles per hour can race a large fish capable of swimming 25 miles per hour and only lose by 2 seconds over the 100 meter race.

The computer simulated great white shark swam 100 meters in 36.1 seconds. Phelps, fitted in a special wet suit and monofin that bound his feet together, took 38.1 seconds to swim the same distance. So close â€" but no dice.

I probably should wait for George to give us the old C2C in-depth analysis in the coming weeks.       

I am astonished by the ridiculous expectations of this segment of our population. Please feel free to share any similar stories here.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: pyewacket on July 24, 2017, 08:23:48 AM
So what did these people expect? The shark would stand poised on the diving block and jump into the water on cue? The shark would stay in its lane and resist its natural instinct to disable and consume its opponent?

It would have been quite simple. Just get a large cardboard tube approx 100m long (available from any Walmart). Insert your shark, and then apply a blowtorch to its nethers when the starting pistol goes off.

Gd5150

People are so dumb falling for that. Obviously Phelps wasn't going to swim against a real shark. Discovery channel needs to get back to what made it a good channel. Like searching for this magladon that was photo'd breaching the surface near one of our carriers. That would be interesting and exciting!

I can only hope that these people were trolling this show. Shark Week aired a simulated race between Olympic medalist, Michael Phelps, and a CGI great white shark. Apparently, some people felt cheated and put their stupidity on display by taking to social media to express their outrage that Phelps was not put into the water with a real shark. They complained that they took sixty minutes out of their busy lives to watch this show. I'm guessing Sharknado 5 would be a better choice for this crowd...

The other interesting issue I question, is how an Olympic swimmer capable of a top speed of 6 miles per hour can race a large fish capable of swimming 25 miles per hour and only lose by 2 seconds over the 100 meter race. ...

Hey spoiler alert.  I recorded that and had some friends coming over tonight.  Besides, I think Michael Phelps can swim much faster than he has in the past, when properly motivated, and he knows that.

pyewacket

This one is a contribution from Mr. Pye's world of electronic engineering - Solar Panel Roadways. Refitting all the crumbling asphalt highways with solar panels- sounds green and environmentally friendly... until you run the numbers or a snow plow/salter across them in the great Northeast of the USA- then, not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds

ItsOver

Quote from: Gd5150 on July 24, 2017, 09:42:41 AM
People are so dumb falling for that. Obviously Phelps wasn't going to swim against a real shark. Discovery channel needs to get back to what made it a good channel. Like searching for this magladon that was photo'd breaching the surface near one of our carriers. That would be interesting and exciting!

Exactly.  And the History Channel needs to get back to real history, like "Big Rig Bounty Hunters!"

pyewacket

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on July 24, 2017, 09:56:32 AM
Hey spoiler alert.  I recorded that and had some friends coming over tonight.  Besides, I think Michael Phelps can swim much faster than he has in the past, when properly motivated, and he knows that.

My apologies, PB! Who knows- this might be a new Olympic event.

Hog

The other interesting issue I question, is how an Olympic swimmer capable of a top speed of 6 miles per hour can race a large fish capable of swimming 25 miles per hour and only lose by 2 seconds over the 100 meter race.

Was Phelps' top speed 6mph with the single blade flipper?  I would think an Olympic champion swimmer should be able to break 6mph with a fin/s on his feet.

peace
Hog

pyewacket

Quote from: Hog on July 24, 2017, 09:06:14 PM
Was Phelps' top speed 6mph with the single blade flipper?  I would think an Olympic champion swimmer should be able to break 6mph with a fin/s on his feet.

peace
Hog

Apparently the shark wasn't doing anything near its potential either- perhaps it wasn't properly motivated. Maybe they should have used some CGI chum in the water. 

pyewacket

"I'm not wearing those stupid looking safety goggles."

pyewacket

"I'm not gonna lose an arm like my stupid brother did!"

ItsOver