• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 16, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
Perhaps because you never bothered to check their name nor mission statement:

https://www.californiarailroad.museum/visit/exhibits

From our immaculately restored, iconic engines and rolling stock to rotating exhibits carefully curated to illuminate life along the historic California railways, our exhibits are sure to enthrall both the most avid rail enthusiasts and first time visitors alike.

Locomotives

The locomotive collection of the California State Railroad Museum contains 19 steam locomotives dating from 1862 to 1944. The Museum’s locomotives illustrate the development of steam technology from its early years in the mid-nineteenth century through its apogee and climax in the 1940s.
The engines range in size from the diminutive Southern Pacific No. 1, “C.P. Huntington,” to the million-pound giant, Southern Pacific articulated cab-forward No. 4294. Fewer than 45 full-size steam locomotives built prior to 1880 exist in the United States. The Museum has eight of these, including Central Pacific Railroad locomotive No. 1, “Gov. Stanford.” While the locomotive collection of the California State Railroad Museum is extensive, only a portion is on public exhibition at any one time. The remaining engines are either undergoing restoration or awaiting restoration in the Museum’s shop facilities.

You see it's a state museum focusing on state railroads...

:o

Is that supposed to be an excuse? Bloody damn shoddy one.

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 05:05:48 PM

And we got curry..

Stole it really... :-[

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/24432750But curry's origins may go even further back.

Scientists believe they may have found evidence of a 4,000-year-old "proto-curry" in India's ancient Indus Valley civilisation.

Traces of cooked ginger and turmeric (which remain in use in curries such as lamb vindaloo today) were found in starch grains in human teeth and a cooking pot found in the ancient town of Farmana, west of Delhi by anthropologists.

The findings made by Arunima Kashyap and Steve Weber of Washington State University, Vancouver were published in the journal Science.

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 05:08:05 PM

Ding!

Fresh button to push... ;D

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 16, 2018, 05:07:11 PM
Potato chips, cotton candy...and...the machine gun!

:D
Muscle cars, "Spring Break,"  Lever-action rifles, bourbon, Men on the Moon, .....

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 05:08:05 PM

It's the same for the one in Duluth, MN, we get the Cliffs Notes version, state only.  The RR was instrumental in hauling all that iron ore.  They prolly used Davy lamps too without giving any credit!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 16, 2018, 05:10:44 PM
Stole it really... :-[

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/24432750But curry's origins may go even further back.

Scientists believe they may have found evidence of a 4,000-year-old "proto-curry" in India's ancient Indus Valley civilisation.

Traces of cooked ginger and turmeric (which remain in use in curries such as lamb vindaloo today) were found in starch grains in human teeth and a cooking pot found in the ancient town of Farmana, west of Delhi by anthropologists.

The findings made by Arunima Kashyap and Steve Weber of Washington State University, Vancouver were published in the journal Science.

Hardly, if the 4000 year old discovery has only just come about. What was there to steal?

Curry was developed as a means to eat rotting meat that perished in the sun with no refrigeration, by the British soldiers sent out there.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 05:12:04 PM
Muscle cars, "Spring Break,"  Lever-action rifles, bourbon, Men on the Moon, .....

Both with their origins from other countries.

Cliff's Notes too.  Cliff was from Nebraska, and God bless him!

albrecht

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on June 16, 2018, 05:12:37 PM
It's the same for the one in Duluth, MN, we get the Cliffs Notes version, state only.  The RR was instrumental in hauling all that iron ore.  They prolly used Davy lamps too without giving any credit!
As per the other post many of the small local train museums are about some regional thing. A certain train, a certain track, etc. The museum itself said what the purpse was- not the history of steam power or history of science. Plus everyone knows who/where invented the steam engine* and it is mentioned in our schools (or was) now it is probably replaced by some lecture about the importance of sub-saharan bush people or why switching your gender is so important.
* at least the official patent holder and popularizer.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 05:16:25 PM

Yet you claim curry? Of all the absurdities.... sure precursors and ideas from other places involved but muscle cars are not like the European or British super cars or even sports cars. Loud, inefficient, powerful, beautiful,  bad handling, tough cars- not sleek, super expensive, fast, good handling cars that a "everyday joe" could never afford.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 05:23:25 PM
Yet you claim curry? Of all the absurdities.... sure precursors and ideas from other places involved but muscle cars are not like the European or British super cars or even sports cars. Loud, inefficient, powerful, beautiful,  bad handling, tough cars- not sleek, super expensive, fast, good handling cars that a "everyday joe" could never afford.

Okay...I'll give you that..I do have a liking for a 68 Camaro. Pretty car...even today it's a pretty car.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 05:26:24 PM
Okay...I'll give you that..I do have a liking for a 68 Camaro. Pretty car...even today it's a pretty car.
A friend of mine has a 68 he shows. Neighbor has a '68 Firebird which is pretty sweet. 68 was a good year for cars. Guy down the street has some old Broncos. One stock and looks really nice, and one modified for more off-road fun. Last year there was a whole bunch of them on the street. I guess a ride or a meet-up for Bronco guys at his place?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 05:37:25 PM
A friend of mine has a 68 he shows. Neighbor has a '68 Firebird which is pretty sweet. 68 was a good year for cars. Guy down the street has some old Broncos. One stock and looks really nice, and one modified for more off-road fun. Last year there was a whole bunch of them on the street. I guess a ride or a meet-up for Bronco guys at his place?

My other half had a 68 Camaro she inherited from her mother. Gold with a white vinyl roof. I think 327(?) block. Nothing fancy and it didn't steer straight apparently after her brother kerbed it...  ;D 

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 05:15:24 PM
Hardly, if the 4000 year old discovery has only just come about. What was there to steal?

Crikey!

You'll even lie about curry... :-[

QuoteCurry was developed as a means to eat rotting meat that perished in the sun with no refrigeration, by the British soldiers sent out there.

Cultural imperialism by food:

Victorian cookbooks served a particularly important purpose in the colonisation process. Susan Zlotnick, in a fantastic essay, describes how the cookbook became the way India was assimilated into the Empire. British women were given the task of bringing imperialism home in an easy-to-swallow manner. They used the medium of cookbooks and “incorporated Indian food, which functioned metonymically for India, into the national diet and made it culturally British”.

Subsequently, by the time the nineteenth century gave way to the twentieth, curry and curry powder became established signifiers for Indian food, but on entirely British terms. Walk into a grocery store in India and you find that the singular curry powder does not exist, neither as material nor idea. In India, we use endless varieties of spice mixes instead. Uma Narayanan writes that British curry powder replaced varied local masalas and distinctive eating cultures and fabricated a homogenous notion of Indian food, in much the same way that the British rule fabricated a unified India.

The continued use of a colonial term to categorise a complex nation is both reductive and factually flawed. It takes a country, obscures it and creates an imagined community on the coloniser’s own terms. For a British audience to take to a show about India, it would be almost foolish to problematise the word they associate most with it. When a British man goes out to tell the rest of Britain what India really eats, it would not do to simply let locals guide the premise of the show, for that would undermine Britain’s powerful position in the equation between the two countries. And while things are perhaps changingâ€"more localised restaurants are now serving up appams and vada paos instead of kormas and rogan josh in London, for the moment it looks like “going for an Indian” anywhere in England will continue to most often mean a cold glass of beer and a cloyingly sweet chicken tikka masala.

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 05:16:25 PM

1885, Skyscraper, William Le Baron Jenney
1937, Edwin Land, Polarized sun glasses
1929, Frozen Food, Clarence Birdseye

Now do tell us they all existed somewhere else first, lol... ;D

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 05:37:25 PM

Broncos are red hot on the classic car auction circuit now.

Think upper $30Ks to the 40s...

God save the Queen and all that...

God bless America....

8)

Gd5150

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on June 16, 2018, 06:15:17 PM

God bless America....

The Union Jack does make everything look better. Good thing we capitalist Americans are around to make that happen for a buck.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 16, 2018, 06:08:20 PM
Crikey!

You'll even lie about curry... :-[

Cultural imperialism by food:

Victorian cookbooks served a particularly important purpose in the colonisation process. Susan Zlotnick, in a fantastic essay, describes how the cookbook became the way India was assimilated into the Empire. British women were given the task of bringing imperialism home in an easy-to-swallow manner. They used the medium of cookbooks and “incorporated Indian food, which functioned metonymically for India, into the national diet and made it culturally British”.

Subsequently, by the time the nineteenth century gave way to the twentieth, curry and curry powder became established signifiers for Indian food, but on entirely British terms. Walk into a grocery store in India and you find that the singular curry powder does not exist, neither as material nor idea. In India, we use endless varieties of spice mixes instead. Uma Narayanan writes that British curry powder replaced varied local masalas and distinctive eating cultures and fabricated a homogenous notion of Indian food, in much the same way that the British rule fabricated a unified India.

The continued use of a colonial term to categorise a complex nation is both reductive and factually flawed. It takes a country, obscures it and creates an imagined community on the coloniser’s own terms. For a British audience to take to a show about India, it would be almost foolish to problematise the word they associate most with it. When a British man goes out to tell the rest of Britain what India really eats, it would not do to simply let locals guide the premise of the show, for that would undermine Britain’s powerful position in the equation between the two countries. And while things are perhaps changingâ€"more localised restaurants are now serving up appams and vada paos instead of kormas and rogan josh in London, for the moment it looks like “going for an Indian” anywhere in England will continue to most often mean a cold glass of beer and a cloyingly sweet chicken tikka masala.

Invented by an Indian who emigrated to Glasgow. Opened a restaurant and his son runs it today-I've been in it, second best Indian food I have ever had..first was in Kenya, in the Indian restaurant in the basement of the hotel I was in..nice and air conditioned.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 16, 2018, 06:11:17 PM
1885, Skyscraper, William Le Baron Jenney
1937, Edwin Land, Polarized sun glasses
1929, Frozen Food, Clarence Birdseye

Now do tell us they all existed somewhere else first, lol... ;D

I didn't say everything. Only most things.. The toilet you flush? The faucet on your sinks and bath?  The stainless steel you have in everyday things? The pneumatic tyres on your car? TV? Radio? Thank a Brit

You're welcome.

Metron2267

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 06:22:23 PM

Invented by an Indian who emigrated to Glasgow. Opened a restaurant and his son runs it today-I've been in it, second best Indian food I have ever had..first was in Kenya, in the Indian restaurant in the basement of the hotel I was in..nice and air conditioned.

Cripes you even 'imperialised' them with AC! :o

Metron2267

Quoteauthor=Yorkshire pud link=topic=2284.msg1251705#msg1251705 date=1529195184]

I didn't say everything. Only most things.. The toilet you flush? The faucet on your sinks and bath?  The stainless steel you have in everyday things? The pneumatic tyres on your car? TV? Radio? Thank a Brit

You're welcome.
[/quote
1930, Chocolate chip cookie, Ruth Wakefield

1937, modern day digital computer was invented by George Stibitz while he was working at Bell Labs.

1938, Nylon, Wallace H. Carothers 1956, Pantyhose, Ernest G. Rice

1939, The fully automatic automobile transmission was invented by General Motors and introduced by Oldsmobile & Cadillac.

1945, Microwave Oven, Percy Spencer

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 16, 2018, 06:48:16 PM
Cripes you even 'imperialised' them with AC! :o

I should bloody think so..and railways...

Metron2267

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 16, 2018, 06:49:02 PM
Quoteauthor=Yorkshire pud link=topic=2284.msg1251705#msg1251705 date=1529195184]

No thanks.

QuoteYou're welcome.
1930, Chocolate chip cookie, Ruth Wakefield

1937, modern day digital computer was invented by George Stibitz while he was working at Bell Labs.

1938, Nylon, Wallace H. Carothers 1956, Pantyhose, Ernest G. Rice

1939, The fully automatic automobile transmission was invented by General Motors and introduced by Oldsmobile & Cadillac.

1945, Microwave Oven, Percy Spencer

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 06:26:24 PM

You're welcome.
I note here that Pud is saying "Brit," not English, and soon will likely expand to anybody, anytime who was living in a British Colony, Commonwealth country, or under the British Empire, etc. Many of the people/inventions he is lauding were by Scots etc, not English and not Yorkshiremen.

Faucets are reversed and somewhat inexplicably have two (one hot, one cold.) Sort of nice for shaving (can use the all hot one) but not so good for things like brushing teeth, washing hands, etc where one might want warmish water- not extremely hot or ice-cold.

I saw some apartments that still had coin-op system for electricity!

Most of your 'bathroom' conditions in public places or bars is appalling. The continental idea of making someone pay might not be a such a bad idea.

Sometimes water in some places (like say bathroom sink versus kitchen sink not potable because could come from cold-water storage tanks, not treated water mains and don't want to risk contamination. (I'm not sure this explanation is true though? Why not a backflow preventer, check valve, or U air-gapped system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHgUu_8KgA&feature=youtu.be

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 06:22:23 PM

Thanks to Mr. Carrier from the USA (and some science and theorizing by others beforehand.)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 07:00:30 PM
I note here that Pud is saying "Brit," not English, and soon will likely expand to anybody, anytime who was living in a British Colony, Commonwealth country, or under the British Empire, etc. Many of the people/inventions he is lauding were by Scots etc, not English and not Yorkshiremen.

Faucets are reversed and somewhat inexplicably have two (one hot, one cold.) Sort of nice for shaving (can use the all hot one) but not so good for things like brushing teeth, washing hands, etc where one might want warmish water- not extremely hot or ice-cold.

Most of your 'bathroom' conditions in public places or bars is appalling. The continental idea of making someone pay might not be a such a bad idea.

Sometimes water in some places (like say bathroom sink versus kitchen sink not potable because could come from cold-water storage tanks, not treated water mains and don't want to risk contamination. (I'm not sure this explanation is true though? Why not a backflow preventer, check valve, or U air-gapped system?

I say Brit because James Watt (Steam engine) and John Dunlop (Pneumatic tyre); (and many others) were Scottish. The solid fuel rocket was English..

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 07:03:49 PM
Thanks to Mr. Carrier from the USA (and some science and theorizing by others beforehand.)

Condensors are fascinating things.. Simple heat exchanger theory. Watt used one on his steam engine.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on June 16, 2018, 07:00:30 PM

Agreed, but several Yorkshire inventions.. Stainless steel is one of em. The building it was invented in is still there.

Most are these days.

Not sure what you mean..But the cold water main come from treated water, and depending on where that is, it could be purified several times (London water is reputedly through 7 people before it eventually goes into the rivers and sea)...Whereas Scotland, Lake District, Derbyshire, North Yorkshire, Cumbria will be very pure and not have much treatment..All of it is drinkable straight out of the faucet, but also is the same water in the toilet bowl. The move is less to cold water tanks and more to closed loop systems. Having a cold water tank in the attic/loft is fine (Gravity fed to the house) but unless it's sealed up properly you can get insects, birds, bat shit and all sorts in it.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 16, 2018, 07:23:17 PM
I say Brit because James Watt (Steam engine) and John Dunlop (Pneumatic tyre); (and many others) were Scottish. The solid fuel rocket was English..
I always heard claim that the Chinese invented this (though something like black-powder and obviously not the type of solid rocket fuel used to go to the moon) I thought that idea was Jack Parsons though English might have claim since he, apparently, was into channeling Crowley and weird stuff.  ;)