• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dell <R.I.P.>

Started by Mordred478, March 15, 2009, 12:31:17 PM

Caruthers612

I have been buying Dell computers for so many years I can't remember. Every time I needed a new one I'd do so without thinking. It was so easy, they were the best, most reliable off-the-shelf computers around, and with a few clicks I'd have what I wanted.
         I do not want to get into a detailed, argumentative explication of why, but in the last couple of years, their computers and their "customer service" have come to be equalled only by rough, rough jail sex.
       Most recently, one Dell computer died a premature and ignoble death. I needed a replacement and so, despite the fact that my gut told me not to go with Dell again, I did so.
       For the first time in all my years of buying computers, the unit they sent me was a bonafide lemon. Fundamentally defective, screwy motherboard I think. Inoperable, with rudamentary manufacturing errors which make it beyond repair.
        Naturally, as per their corporate seminar training, every "customer service rep" and "senior technician" did nothing but give me the runaround, try to get me off the phone, direct me to other equally feckless douche bags, and refuse to pay heed to the expensive extended warranty and Complete Care coverage that I had purchased for it.
       So, rather than get angry, I got smart. Luckily for me, a family member is a lawyer. As some of you may know, it is positively uncanny the power a simple, one or two paragraph letter from an attorney on his or her official letterhead has. It puts the fear of God into people as nothing else does. With luck, this relative will send such a letter to Douche--uh, I mean Dell--and with further luck, I will eventually have my money back.
      We'll see. Meantime, let this be a cautionary tale for those who did not already know. It's said, because Dell used to be a good company, even if you paid a premium for their stuff. Now, however, they are a chainsaw enema. And that's on a good day.

M

EvB

They're ALL going that way, and with outsourced tech support (anyone got a goat to sacrifice to Gonish?) it gets worse every day

I will say that since I've been to busy with other things to be my own tech support (though I am anyway - I just need backup) I bought my last PC off the shelf rather than build.  I went with HP - and have been fairly satisfied with their support.  But - still, it's a pain in th rear.

Frys Girl

Quote from: EvB on March 15, 2009, 01:48:29 PM
anyone got a goat to sacrifice to Gonish?

Do you remember when Homer pretended to be Gonish for Apu's Indian wedding so he could break them up? I AM THE GOD GONISH! DO NOT MARRY THIS WOMAN! MAKE LOVE WITH HOT AMERICAN WOMEN!

Nboy

Quote from: EvB on March 15, 2009, 01:48:29 PM
They're ALL going that way, and with outsourced tech support (anyone got a goat to sacrifice to Gonish?) it gets worse every day

SO true. I was once a faithful gateway supporter. Had great customer service, AND a store dedicated to them that I could walk into at any time and get help. But alas, the days of good pc customer service have ended. I'll build my own PC next time I need one.

Boomer

Quote from: Mordred478 on March 15, 2009, 12:31:17 PM
equalled only by rough, rough jail sex.

Man...that can't be good.

Myself I've always had good luck with any name brand computer I've bought at Best Buy. I've probably purchased 6-8 of them over the years, all Sonys, HP and one Aptiva as I recall. When I've purchased sound boards, graphics accelerators, ram, if there was an incompatibility problem I've always been able to return them with no questions asked. I just purchased a HP laptop to replace a Sony Laptop and it runs like a dream. My Sony desktop which I've had longer than any of them still run flawlessly after 5 years, I can't find an excuse to replace it. One thing to bear in mind at Best Buy, don't ask the sales people any techie questions cause they're generally full of shit, do the techie research yourself. I'm surprised about Dell, they were always pretty good. One guy told me his son bought one of those $300 laptops for school, he said they were junk.

slipstream

Quote from: Nboy on March 16, 2009, 09:33:56 PM

SO true. I was once a faithful gateway supporter. Had great customer service, AND a store dedicated to them that I could walk into at any time and get help. But alas, the days of good pc customer service have ended. I'll build my own PC next time I need one.

Yeah build your own.  You'll know exactly what is in that thing.  You will be able to avoid all the bloat wear they pawn you off with when you by a new computer at Besy Buy etc. 

http://www.newegg.com/  Shameless plug for a company that I like to do business with.