• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 29, 2016, 03:25:30 PM
Thanks, but I have to pass. I have a small mountain of backlogged movies, music, and books that I need to get through before I take on anything else.  I'll wait until TCM does another pre-code feature.

I should do the same but I won't.  :-[

ItsOver

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 02:38:48 PM
I never sat through one of her movies. But if one happened to be on I might take a moment to watch a pool extravaganza or gaze at her romantic interest. Ricardo Montalban, Fernando Lamas ...
I would have loved to seen Fernando playing in a movie as Ricardo or vice versa.  Or maybe they did and I just didn't realize it.

Olivia de Havilland turns 100 today.  Happy Birthday, dear Lady.

Picture is from June 25, 2016 at an Associated Press gathering.

In her youth.

Olivia will be celebrating her birthday with drinks and dining with friends.  She must have an incredible constitution.  To many more healthy years.

TigerLily

Olivia de Havilland is 100 today. Still kickin' it in Paris.  Happy Birthday immortal lady

TigerLily

One of my all time favorite screen couples. I wonder what the whole story is on these two. 21 would know

TigerLily

And just because he was so beautiful

albrecht

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2016, 06:20:17 PM
One of my all time favorite screen couples. I wonder what the whole story is on these two. 21 would know
You will have to stay up late tonight as TCM is featuring several of their films tonight, including Robin Hood and Captain Blood and Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (which I don't think is available on DVD though not sure.)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 01, 2016, 04:11:52 PM
Olivia de Havilland turns 100 today.  Happy Birthday, dear Lady.

Picture is from June 25, 2016 at an Associated Press gathering.

In her youth.

Olivia will be celebrating her birthday with drinks and dining with friends.  She must have an incredible constitution.  To many more healthy years.

She really does look terrific, and in a recent interview she quipped that "only the pearls are fake."  I don't know much about her life, but she certainly has an elegant grace that's enhanced by the fact that O de H is her real name.  It sounds like one a studio would have made up for someone born Enid Clompdiddle.  I am having a drink in her honor right now, and will probably repeat the process a few times.  Cheers!

TigerLily

Quote from: albrecht on July 01, 2016, 06:32:10 PM
You will have to stay up late tonight as TCM is featuring several of their films tonight, including Robin Hood and Captain Blood and Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (which I don't think is available on DVD though not sure.)

She's the Star of the Month so her movies will air every Friday. That's how I knew it was birthday.  TCM is like my default homepage.  When I first turn on my tv there is TCM

albrecht

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2016, 07:43:05 PM
She's the Star of the Month so her movies will air every Friday. That's how I knew it was birthday.  TCM is like my default homepage.  When I first turn on my tv there is TCM
Same. No commercials, good movies? What is not to like? I remember when AMC was good- with old movies and no commercials also- but then it shifted to so many commercials and more modern content and new shows (some of which is good but so many commercials, I've heard number 1 in commercial saturation.)

Quote from: albrecht on July 01, 2016, 07:47:32 PM
Same. No commercials, good movies? What is not to like? I remember when AMC was good- with old movies and no commercials also- but then it shifted to so many commercials and more modern content and new shows (some of which is good but so many commercials, I've heard number 1 in commercial saturation.)
d

Completely agree about AMC.  The quality of the movies diminished a long time ago, and it seem like they're more interested in their original series. They also repeat the same movies month after month. I like "The Green Mile," but not two hundred times a year.   ::)

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 01, 2016, 07:59:26 PM
d

Completely agree about AMC.  The quality of the movies diminished a long time ago, and it seem like they're more interested in their original series. They also repeat the same movies month after month. I like "The Green Mile," but not two hundred times a year.   ::)
Yup. I recall the AMC stuff/changes had something to do with a lawsuit with Turner and changes in ownership. For the modern AMC "The Green Mile" is equivalent to seeing a Burt Reynolds vehicle or a Braves game back with TBS was good- that gimmick with started shows 5 minutes later (genius, get own line in TV Guide and if some other show sucked you could switch over to TBS and still catch the beginning of whatever Burt Reynolds movie you've seen 100 times.)

I can't say for certain about anything except for the fact that they did fall in love with each other.  However, I don't think she wanted to be known as another one of Flynn's conquests.  He always spoke of her with a respect that he really didn't have for other women and men for that matter.  His autobiography makes it clear that their relationship was close for a time but it is mum about whether actual sex was involved.  I doubt that she will divulge anything further about their relationship but who knows.  My guess is if they had an affair, it was very discreet so it wouldn't make headlines in the gossip rags.

Quote from: albrecht on July 01, 2016, 08:20:22 PM
Yup. I recall the AMC stuff/changes had something to do with a lawsuit with Turner and changes in ownership. For the modern AMC "The Green Mile" is equivalent to seeing a Burt Reynolds vehicle or a Braves game back with TBS was good- that gimmick with started shows 5 minutes later (genius, get own line in TV Guide and if some other show sucked you could switch over to TBS and still catch the beginning of whatever Burt Reynolds movie you've seen 100 times.)

Bob Dorian was a great host for AMC back in the day.

I quit the network after they started putting commerical breaks into the movies.  The quality of movies also went downhill.  I think Viacom was to blame. They always fuck up channels that they purchase.  Thank God TCM came along to fill the void.

In a recent interview, she said she used to refer to her sister, Joan Fontaine, as the Dragon Lady.  Apparently Fontaine was always deriding de Havilland and did not go out of her way to be pleasant with her.  Of course, that is just one side of the story.  Very sad though no matter how you cut it.

Quote from: albrecht on July 01, 2016, 08:20:22 PM

I have a great deal of admiration for Ted Turner's visionary media genius. Starting his shows at five minutes past the hour in order to get a distinct listing for TBS in TV guides is a prime example.  If you haven't already, you might enjoy reading about the zany days after he inherited WTBS when it was just a rinky dink local UHF station.  The story about the news reading dog is one of my favorites. 

He also deserves a great deal of credit for his reasons for creating CNN.  He knew he would initially lose hundreds of millions, but he was dedicated providing extensive coverage of the domestic and international news that didn't make the half hour nightly network newscasts.  For the first few years, CNN was a tremendous news source, and it's a damn shame it's become the clown car of cable news.  if TT were dead I have no doubt he'd be spinning in his grave. 

Turner's colorful exploits as the owner of the Braves are also quite entertaining.  The fact that many of them annoyed the hell out of Bowie Kuhn is delicious creamy icing on the cake.

Quote from: TigerLily on July 01, 2016, 06:26:28 PM
And just because he was so beautiful

If I was a woman, I would have put out for Errol Flynn.  Who knows maybe I did in a past life. :P :-[ :-[

ItsOver

Praise be for MV AND OTA TV.  My rabbit ears were searching for "sumptheen" different yesterday and thanks to "The Works" channel, I wandered once again into the world of the strange and non-homogeneous.  "Static."

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/static/

If you are within range of a "The Works" affiliate and are interested in the odd, the different, the fuzzy, and non-CGI, you may be intrigued by "Static," the 1986 movie, not the more recent movie of the same title but not related.  You are a BellGabber, are you not?

Even though I would not label this movie "classic," the BG'ers who might be interested in this type of movie gravitate more to the subject matter of this thread.  Ones who enjoy mellowing out in artsy, preferably deco-themed movie palaces of the past that have been thoughtfully preserved for our continued enjoyment.

"Static?"  If they were to make a 60's to 80's vibe indy film about Mad Man Marcum, with a played-down "Remote Control" strange filming vibe to it, this might it.  Don't peek ahead in any reviews for the end of the movie.  You must be caught by surprise by it.

"Static" has multiple showings on "The Works," throughout July.

http://www.the-works.tv/affiliate/

Quote from: ItsOver on July 05, 2016, 08:40:18 AM
"Static" has multiple showings on "The Works," throughout July.

the works also plays "Johnny Socko and His Flying Robot". Looks like a quality station.

Just found another station I have never heard of carried on the a close channel: http://www.comettv.com/this-month/
Specialized in old SciFi. Looks like their main shows are "The Outer Limits" and "Stargate SG-1".

Oh, TL...he was such a horrible scumbag. I enjoyed a few of his films, but, damn lol. He was just a retched person. From Tasmania which, from my experience in Tasmania, kind of figures.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 02, 2016, 03:31:50 AM
If I was a woman, I would have put out for Errol Flynn.  Who knows maybe I did in a past life. :P :-[ :-[

Evil slut, you.

All I can say is...

Maureen O`Hara. Now there`s a class act! What a lady.

ItsOver

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 05, 2016, 08:59:50 AM
the works also plays "Johnny Socko and His Flying Robot". Looks like a quality station.

Just found another station I have never heard of carried on the a close channel: http://www.comettv.com/this-month/
Specialized in old SciFi. Looks like their main shows are "The Outer Limits" and "Stargate SG-1".
Ha!  Yes, now THAT is something to note.  "Johnny Socko..."  :D

I stumbled upon Comet several months ago.  It specializes in the cheapest and cheesiest Sci-fi and horror of all-time, so it's held promise. ;)  I wish they showed the original "Outer Limits," but I'll take what I can get.  I DVR'd "The Quatermass Xperiment" yesterday, thanks to Comet.  They have some neat flicks this month, beyond their usual "wow... this is crappier than even the title would suggest."

The complete upcoming list.

http://sinb.tmsimg.com/assets/p2614_p_v5_aa.jpg

"HuffPost Live
WORKS --- Tue, 7/05, 9:00 AM 1 hr
News, Interview, Profile, Topical
A team of rotating hosts and producers present a network of segments that spotlight engaging stories from a personal real-time script that emulates the online experience with a broad range of social topics and voices from different public platforms"

Also carries the "HuffPost Live". ItsOver, I never would have guessed it.
They redeemed themselves earlier in the morning by showing "Armed Response" with David Carradine and Lee Van Cleef.

ItsOver

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 05, 2016, 09:55:40 AM
"HuffPost Live
WORKS --- Tue, 7/05, 9:00 AM 1 hr
News, Interview, Profile, Topical
A team of rotating hosts and producers present a network of segments that spotlight engaging stories from a personal real-time script that emulates the online experience with a broad range of social topics and voices from different public platforms"

Also carries the "HuffPost Live". ItsOver, I never would have guessed it.
They redeemed themselves earlier in the morning by showing "Armed Response" with David Carradine and Lee Van Cleef.
Ha, ha, ha!

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on July 05, 2016, 09:59:05 AM
Ha, ha, ha!

According to the interwebs I can get that channel in my area but so far I have been unable to pick it up on scan. I wonder if I can buy some more coax and put the antennae on the roof or, at least, on an upper window (not sure if it is 'weather-proof' or if I would need some kind of booster or if extending the coax would work. Not technical guy on this stuff.) But, so far, I'm happy with the channels I get on it. And can't beat the price!

TigerLily

Wild Bill Hickcock hosting Best 100 Westerns Tuesdays and Wednesdays this month on TCM

TigerLily

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 05, 2016, 09:10:19 AM
Oh, TL...he was such a horrible scumbag. I enjoyed a few of his films, but, damn lol. He was just a retched person. From Tasmania which, from my experience in Tasmania, kind of figures.

Do tell

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on July 05, 2016, 11:42:10 AM
According to the interwebs I can get that channel in my area but so far I have been unable to pick it up on scan. I wonder if I can buy some more coax and put the antennae on the roof or, at least, on an upper window (not sure if it is 'weather-proof' or if I would need some kind of booster or if extending the coax would work. Not technical guy on this stuff.) But, so far, I'm happy with the channels I get on it. And can't beat the price!
An external antenna, up as high as you can get will help.  As usual, there's stuff on the net with tips and suggestions.  From what I recall, a 50-60 mile range isn't out of the question.  I've just got a cheap RCA indoor antenna and get 20-30 miles.  Sometimes, I have to move the thing around for optimium reception.  Anybody recognize this? :)

I_Speculate

Quote from: ItsOver on July 05, 2016, 02:57:07 PM
An external antenna, up as high as you can get will help.  As usual, there's stuff on the net with tips and suggestions.  From what I recall, a 50-60 mile range isn't out of the question.  I've just got a cheap RCA indoor antenna and get 20-30 miles.

Make sure you ground it.