• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

SciFiAuthor

Producer Paul's back maybe?

Freyja

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 04:55:14 PM
Well hi everybody. As you might guess I have been a very busy guy. I hear the buzz about the new price coming August 20th but I have been telling people about it and there is still plenty of time to join and be frozen at the five buck price. It is the Time Travel people who allow the live show to be free so we think it is still a good deal. This was only done after we were able to figure expense for operating.

When you do this for yourself, you pay for it yourself. Many people have the Idea that the Internet is free, they are wrong!

BTW, first person to figure out our new Producer gets a gold star.

Art

Art, very long time listener and more than glad to have you back where you belong...on the air.

That said, I think this is a very bad business decision on both your and Rowlands behalf.

You are offering a podcast and live streaming of your program, along with a few affiliates and shortwave stations that carry MITD.

For the most part, streaming the live show has been ok, with some glitches...sound good etc.

Accessing the archives for us "Time Travelers" is poor from a website and navigational perspective from a PC....to many clicks, too much navigation to get where one needs to go to stream.

From other "devices", it becomes more challenging and attempting to DL from your site requires significant effort to get MITD archives on a device  with a paid subscription.

You don't offer a RSS feed, the navigation for Time Travelers to get to the paid for archives or to the wormhole is not obvious, smooth or easy.

I would sincerely suggest, that before you are talking about raising the price that you look at your service offering and ease of use and access.

This is 2015. If folks have to go through too many hoops to get your program on their device, they will both stop paying and stop attempting to try....especially when they are paying to get your show on demand.

You provide a stellar program...with that you need a stellar delivery process to those who listen and pay.

A price increase at this time without all of the above in place sound more like a threat sadly without delivering the technical goods.

weeberwubber

Art's comment saying that whomever guesses the name first get a gold star and other comments saying that people know but they won't tell because privacy should be respected seem totally at odds with one another. And if you're not in the know it's totally and completely annoying.

wr250

Quote from: weeberwubber on August 02, 2015, 06:00:12 PM
Art's comment saying that whomever guesses the name first get a gold star and other comments saying that people know but they won't tell because privacy should be respected seem totally at odds with one another. And if you're not in the know it's totally and completely annoying.
no its not falkie.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ItsOver on August 02, 2015, 04:55:54 PM
Yes, the great thing is I don't have to lose that much sleep and can listen to Art FOR FREE!  Well, other than the freaky commercials but, even then, the bumper music makes up for that.  I don't even want to say what I'd personally be willing to pay for a MiTD subscription.  I'd probably shock myself with how high I'd be willing to go. ;)

Hell, I'm even thinking about doing a Hoagie subscription, just for the laughs, after following his BG thread.  He's sounded more amusing than I expected.  Hoagie is just too late for me stay up to listen live.  I'd have to become a complete night owl or maybe a vampire.

Exactly. There is a free way to listen: live. The cost is only for the archive. I'm sure they'll address the mobile issue and all will be well. Hell, it's probably a good sign that it only went up a few bucks if you think about it.

I have to admit liking Hoagland's quirky show. I've been up to 4 am every night since he started. It's a guilty pleasure, to be certain, but I can't help it. I just sit there and laugh. 

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 04:55:14 PM
Well hi everybody. As you might guess I have been a very busy guy. I hear the buzz about the new price coming August 20th but I have been telling people about it and there is still plenty of time to join and be frozen at the five buck price. It is the Time Travel people who allow the live show to be free so we think it is still a good deal. This was only done after we were able to figure expense for operating.

When you do this for yourself, you pay for it yourself. Many people have the Idea that the Internet is free, they are wrong!

BTW, first person to figure out our new Producer gets a gold star.

Art

This show will just continue to get better and better. And that's saying something considering how great of a start it's had.

Congratulations to the new producer, they are going to do an amazing job.

SaucyRossy

I know most bellgabbers don't use Facebook but art did say today on Facebook that they are developing a art bell app for access to show archives and other goodies I imagine.

chefist

Quote from: SaucyRossy on August 02, 2015, 06:05:41 PM
I know most bellgabbers don't use Facebook but art did say today on Facebook that they are developing a art bell app for access to show archives and other goodies I imagine.

This is getting big fast! I'm excited to be here on BG and share in this experience.  I'm just waiting for the next big news, whatever it may be...I have an idea but don't want to jinx anything by speculating!  :D

serenity

Quote from: SaucyRossy on August 02, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

Agree 100% I hope the app can stream either DM as a whole or Arts stream. A sleep timer and/or a turn on alarm maybe?

Love the show Art, to me worth 5 or 7.99. Gotta pay for the music after all. Keep going Art, keep going

DE AD5NW 73's

Jackstar

The day will come when people will be paying $14.95 a month hand over fist.

CornyCrow

Quote from: wr250 on August 02, 2015, 05:29:11 PM
i take tooomeric and carnivora to combat the poisonous veggies.
If you take carnivora, you develop a taste for insects; then you need toomeric to counteract the bugs. 

I use a neti pot, which is the best way I've found to clear sinuses, better than drugs but no side effects.  There was an article about a parasite eating a woman's brain.  THey think it was an amoeba that she caught from using her neti pot.  I guess the nasal passage is a way of reaching the brain.  I believe the woman lived in the US and it is recommended that a person use pre-boiled water in their neti pots. 

I don't know how that came up, but it might be of some benefit to someone.  I think a brain amoeba must be a pretty difficult thing to detect.     

ItsOver

Quote from: serenity on August 02, 2015, 06:11:58 PM
...Keep going Art, keep going...

That's all I ask.  Whatever it takes.  Even if I'm forced to contribute to the Falkie thread.

ItsOver

Quote from: Jackstar on August 02, 2015, 06:36:19 PM
The day will come when people will be paying $14.95 a month hand over fist.

Wasn't that close to the standard Sirius fee, before negotiating?  Hell, I was willing to pay that two years ago.

albrecht

Quote from: CornyCrow on August 02, 2015, 06:38:29 PM
If you take carnivora, you develop a taste for insects; then you need toomeric to counteract the bugs. 

I use a neti pot, which is the best way I've found to clear sinuses, better than drugs but no side effects.  There was an article about a parasite eating a woman's brain.  THey think it was an amoeba that she caught from using her neti pot.  I guess the nasal passage is a way of reaching the brain.  I believe the woman lived in the US and it is recommended that a person use pre-boiled water in their neti pots. 

I don't know how that came up, but it might be of some benefit to someone.  I think a brain amoeba must be a pretty difficult thing to detect.   
I don't know about those pots but if you use them I would use distilled water, just in case. Yes, some people have been infected in the US. Also people have been infected swimming in some areas. Again, rare but still if you are forcing water into an orifice not normally intended to take in water, make sure it is clean water and I would use distilled water.

Mastodonkey

First everybody just wants Art back, then random people start showing up complaining about every damn mundane thing under the sun.

Art is back. Shut up and listen. Whatever you're complaining about now will be improved/modernized. This is still an upstart venture at this point.

boxman

Quote from: Mastodonkey on August 02, 2015, 07:00:23 PM
First everybody just wants Art back, then random people start showing up complaining about every damn mundane thing under the sun.

Art is back. Shut up and listen. Whatever you're complaining about now will be improved/modernized. This is still an upstart venture at this point.
There is a thing called constructive criticism. I think it is better to criticize something than being a blind fanboy that supports and defend everything while ignoring the flaws. To improve things you gotta have constructive criticism and criticizing something does not mean you are a hater like fanboys seem to think.

Most people here including myself would be happy to pay 7.99, but the average joe might not pay that much unless for example the delivery system has all the modern features.

Freyja

The point is that one doesn't start raising prices on an "upstart venture" until you have all the kinks worked out and are able to deliver a stellar product.

The program is stellar.....the vehicle for PAID subscribers is NOT.

I not writing this to either bitch or complain.....I am happily paying my $5.00.

Like all of you here, I want nothing more than great success for Art, Keith & MITD for many years to come.

Raising the price now, 1 month after the launch date with a non user friendly, easily adaptable platform on any/all devices  for PAID listeners is just bad business IMO.

Get the back end slick, reliable, easy, along with a stellar show and then raise the price if you must. 

Art Bell

I do not mind people who complain, I expect it, you can not survive as a Public person with thin skin. No we did not can John it was by mutual agreement because he simply has too much on his plate. In fact he continues as assoc Producer.

That said we do have a new Producer and I have high hopes.

Again, for those that do complain, well the show is FREE, do they want us to pay them?

Art

jerry

Quote from: ItsOver on August 02, 2015, 03:03:32 PM
You know, Jerry, I have to agree with you, from the nostalgic viewpoint.  I'm personally not all that crazy about Crystal's song but it makes Art happy so I'm down with it. 

The big thrill for me is "The Chase."  I about fell over when Art started-up MiTD with the old opener.  Right on, dude!  Take it back, Art. ;D

"The Chase" just sounds so much better with Art playing it.  Yes, boys and girls, the thrill is NOT gone.

I could not agree more!!! The Chase is a thrill to hear every show, and the thrill increases as soon as Art starts to talk with it playing.

Mastodonkey

Quote from: boxman on August 02, 2015, 07:07:51 PM
better to criticize something than being a blind fanboy that supports and defend everything while ignoring the flaws.

Welcome to the internet. I'm under the assumption Art's current venture is pretty small, him, Keith, a producer. I'm giving them a huge benefit of the doubt when it comes to all the bells and whistles. Changes will be slow.. well aside from charging you more. That came pretty fast. But alas changes will come. Everybody wants what they want and they want it now. Chill out and enjoy the shows.

Word to your mother!

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Freyja on August 02, 2015, 07:18:42 PM
The point is that one doesn't start raising prices on an "upstart venture" until you have all the kinks worked out and are able to deliver a stellar product.

The program is stellar.....the vehicle for PAID subscribers is NOT.

I not writing this to either bitch or complain.....I am happily paying my $5.00.

You will never have to pay more than $5. He is only raising the price for people who sign up after August 20th, and they are developing an app, and improving etc.

Quote from: Art Bell on August 02, 2015, 07:19:06 PM
I do not mind people who complain, I expect it, you can not survive as a Public person with thin skin. No we did not can John it was by mutual agreement because he simply has too much on his plate. In fact he continues as assoc Producer.

Again, for those that do complain, well the show is FREE, do they want us to pay them?

Art

What about dr.j I was happy with the guest selection so far.

boxman

Art
I think people are just worried it might hurt your business if you raise the price before you improve the product, as it does have some flaws right now like lack of RSS. And from what I have seen so far most people who "complained" seems to love the show itself, but just criticized some flaws with the archives and believe it would be of your best interest to improve on that before raising the price.

SciFiAuthor

Art

I take it no one gets the gold star for the producer guesses?

GravitySucks

Art

I love the fact you are back. And I was among the first to sign up for TT.  You, sir, are an Apple fan.  Get us a way to get the podcasts on our I-devices.  Please?

boxman

Quote from: SaucyRossy on August 02, 2015, 07:28:35 PM
You will never have to pay more than $5. He is only raising the price for people who sign up after August 20th, and they are developing an app, and improving etc.
But what about the potential future time travelers that might not be hardcore art bell fans like those of us here?? To them such flaws might stop them from buying a subscription in the future. It should be in their best interest to get as many paying customers as possible which includes the average listener who is not yet a hardcore fan like us.

Freyja

Quote from: SaucyRossy on August 02, 2015, 07:28:35 PM

Yes, I am well aware of that.

My previous posts were not about me or any increase n what I am paying or what any current "time traveler" is paying.

What I am trying to state is that both current and future subscription holders may NOT continue to pay if the back end to access and listen to the archives is complex, clumsy and labor intensive.

People pay for value and ease of access/delivery.

We know the value of the product ( the show ) is without question.

It is the delivery and ease of access to the archives that is the issue....that is what the paying subscribers are paying for. You don't get that right...they stop paying. 

aldousburbank

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 02, 2015, 07:33:15 PM
I take it no one gets the gold star for the producer guesses?
It's Art's call. Maintain positions.