• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

any advice for my crappy life

Started by SR-71, June 16, 2013, 03:30:40 AM

SR-71

I hate my coworkers at work. They are real assholes. I'm not sure on how much shit that I can take. Does anyone can help me to handle the crap. I'm am looking for a better job. You can pm me if you need more info. I'm just not a very happy camper. The crap at work is pissing me off that I'm to mad to tell george noory that he is crap.

onan

Quote from: SR-71 on June 16, 2013, 03:30:40 AM
I hate my coworkers at work. They are real assholes. I'm not sure on how much shit that I can take. Does anyone can help me to handle the crap. I'm am looking for a better job. You can pm me if you need more info. I'm just not a very happy camper. The crap at work is pissing me off that I'm to mad to tell george noory that he is crap.

It is hard to say without a great deal more information. Everyone is an asshole to someone. Handling crap is a different issue. And without knowing what the crap is I would hate to hazard much of a guess on how to effectively cope with it.

What I can say is, you have no control over others. The only thing you can control is you. Sometimes people feel the need to inflict their irritations and anxieties on others because that lets them feel like they have some control on their pathetic lives. If there are no policies in place at your work, your choices are limited. If there are policies... use them to the fullest extent.

The most important thing for you to do is find some emotional support. That can be a few friends you trust, a support group, uncle Guido (not really) but the best support would be a good therapist to help you deal with the emotional aspects of other's behaviors.

Juan

Quote from: onan on June 16, 2013, 05:49:46 AM
The only thing you can control is you.
One of life's hard lessons, but true.  Control of yourself includes control of your reaction to others.

Zoo

I had the same problem for a long time it took everything I could to wake up and go to work with the people there. I had to make some personal changes because I found out no matter How Hard I Tried things weren't going to change. I truly believe both post before me gave really good advice. You need a way to vent I think that will help. I know it sounds dumb but a simple walk or just sitting in a libary in silence has helped me. Both are really cheap and works wonders for me. If you need to vent to someone and have know one; vent here or (pm) me and will scream together!!1

Yorkshire pud

You need to have someone who knows that two ears and one mouth should be used in that proportion when it comes to handling you venting how you feel. Just to listen to you; and you may even find that it gives you room to work out what is best for you. What are your aims and objectives? What do you want/need to make you happy at this company? Is it possible? Is the only alternative to move to another job? Will that be out of the frying pan and into the fire if you do?..and I'm sure several other questions you can explore.

I'd say care a little less about them.  Like not at all.  It doesn't really matter what they say or do.  If they want to be nice, great - if they want to be assholes then hey that's on them, that's who they are, and really - so what.  So there are shitty people around, don't let it bother you. 

And let them know here and there - a shrug, a derisive snicker, the eye roll, the smirk- but in an understated way, just enough that they start to catch on that they aren't getting under your skin and you think they are idiots, not so much you get in trouble.  Don't let them think they bother you.  It's amazing how much better one can feel just by changing their attitude sometimes.

In the mean time, look for another job. 

b_dubb

Quote from: SR-71 on June 16, 2013, 03:30:40 AMThe crap at work is pissing me off that I'm to mad to tell george noory that he is crap.

uhhh ... Tommy?

analog kid

Fist-full of mood stabilizers and a water glass of scotch every morning.

SR-71

Quote from: b_dubb on June 16, 2013, 02:32:42 PM

uhhh ... Tommy?
B_dubb that is a BIG no. I dont even work in the radio business. I work for the state of California.

onan

Quote from: SR-71 on June 16, 2013, 03:40:11 PM
B_dubb that is a BIG no. I dont even work in the radio business. I work for the state of California.

If you work for the state, unless you are a temporary hire, the HR dept is your friend. Talk to them about how you feel disrespected. Bring up the term hostile work environment. I assure you, unless you are completely at fault, there will be changes made.

SR-71

Quote from: onan on June 16, 2013, 03:45:27 PM

If you work for the state, unless you are a temporary hire, the HR dept is your friend. Talk to them about how you feel disrespected. Bring up the term hostile work environment. I assure you, unless you are completely at fault, there will be changes made.
I will talk to them on monday. I'll keep you guys inform. Thanks for your help, Onan.

Meanandnasty

Sometimes not playing to the crap really works.  Be polite and respectful, but do not go to their level.  That sometimes get the message and across and also modifies behavior. 

MV/Liberace!

From my way of thinking, the proper solution here is to bring a fully automatic weapon to work and shoot them.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on June 17, 2013, 07:32:53 AM
From my way of thinking, the proper solution here is to bring a fully automatic weapon to work and shoot them.

I've always thought going to their homes on their birthday and killing them in front of their family with a sword was a refreshing spin on killing co-workers. But then again, I worked for the Post Office for a decade...as trendsetters, we felt that pressure to innovate in our workplace massacres.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 17, 2013, 10:16:27 AM
          I've always thought going to their homes on their birthday and killing them in front of their family with a sword was a refreshing spin on killing co-workers. But then again, I worked for the Post Office for a decade...as trendsetters, we felt that pressure to innovate in our workplace massacres.

i recently watched a documentary on netflix about some of the better known postal killings in this country.  when you see the stories of what management did to some of those people in the lead-up to the shooting, it's not hard to see how it happened.  a guy can only take so much.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on June 17, 2013, 10:29:06 AM

i recently watched a documentary on netflix about some of the better known postal killings in this country.  when you see the stories of what management did to some of those people in the lead-up to the shooting, it's not hard to see how it happened.  a guy can only take so much.
There's a book from 1997 imaginatively titled "Going Postal" and the author came to that conclusion. Many of these events were preventable and predictable. On of the notable cases was a woman stalked and murdered by a fellow worker at Logan Airport in Boston in '88. She tried desperately to get her shift changed, and her cocksucker boss refused it. She was murdered a week later. I later worked for that boss(who should have been fired). A fucking scumbag.

USPS management was insufferable. Petty, vindictive and fomented internal loathing. My time as a steward really made me despise 90% of management. Lots of former military big shots who have no idea how to manage civilians.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 17, 2013, 10:43:26 AM
Lots of former military big shots who have no idea how to manage civilians.

oh god.  never has there been a more miserable breed of human to be "managed" by.

Marc.Knight

I hate my coworkers at work. They are real assholes. I'm not sure on how much shit that I can take. Does anyone can help me to handle the crap. I'm am looking for a better job. You can pm me if you need more info. I'm just not a very happy camper. The crap at work is pissing me off...

George?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on June 17, 2013, 11:09:31 AM

oh god.  never has there been a more miserable breed of human to be "managed" by.
The pits. These pricks were the worst. And we had a shitload of them. Miserable is the perfect word to describe the interaction with them.

We had a few ex-Secret Service shitballs too. Another special breed of self important asshole.

ziznak

Quote from: onan on June 16, 2013, 05:49:46 AM

Everyone is an asshole to someone.
very wise words indeed... I'm stealing this line!

Quote from: MV on June 17, 2013, 10:29:06 AM

I have a cousin who is a postal carrier.  He said things pretty much went like this:  Here is your route.  You must complete it in four hours and fifty-three minutes...  (That goal is achieved.)  Congratulation!  Now, you must complete your route in four hours and thirty-two minutes.  (That goal is eventually achieved.) Congratulations!  Now, you must complete your route in four hours and one minute -- Oh, and we're adding two new streets.

Don't know if his description was accurate or reflective of all post offices, but there you go.  It sounded pretty dreadful.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 18, 2013, 10:12:40 AM
I have a cousin who is a postal carrier.  He said things pretty much went like this:  Here is your route.  You must complete it in four hours and fifty-three minutes...  (That goal is achieved.)  Congratulation!  Now, you must complete your route in four hours and thirty-two minutes.  (That goal is eventually achieved.) Congratulations!  Now, you must complete your route in four hours and one minute -- Oh, and we're adding two new streets.

Don't know if his description was accurate or reflective of all post offices, but there you go.  It sounded pretty dreadful.

if anything, the usps is a case study for the useless nature of labor unions (in modern times).  how those people wind up having to endure that shit WHILE being organized is something i can't begin to understand.  i'm sure the reasons for it are complicated.  postal employees seem like some of the least protected federal workers.  meanwhile, they're among the very few federal workers who actually perform a valuable service of some type.  so what if they lose money, i say.  i want a goddamned postal service in this country.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on June 18, 2013, 07:34:56 PM

if anything, the usps is a case study for the useless nature of labor unions (in modern times).  how those people wind up having to endure that shit WHILE being organized is something i can't begin to understand.  i'm sure the reasons for it are complicated.  postal employees seem like some of the least protected federal workers.  meanwhile, they're among the very few federal workers who actually perform a valuable service of some type.  so what if they lose money, i say.  i want a goddamned postal service in this country.
Granted, I left the USPS in 2005, but I imagine it's still pretty awful. By law(since 1970) we can't strike and therefore bargaining chip numero uno is unavailable. Unfortunately, many "loyal" union members gladly fuck each other for a few bucks. Management will use things like overtime and positioning of jobs to divide and ultimately conquer. The stewards(and I was one) who give a damn get railroaded by management and compromisers.

I started there at 19 and left at 29. Ideally, you GAIN seniority after a decade, right? Well, so many people who were "junior" to me quit, that I was losing seniority with time. My old friends tell me it hasn't changed. Guys who used to have day shift with weekends off are now forced to work overnights and have Tue/Wed "non-scheduled" days, being forced in on Thanksgiving and Christmas...holidays they used to have off.

ksm32

Start your own company (something you are really good at) and be the boss. I learned that in 1993, Oprah 101. Im still a fuckin jackass but im a happy one. :)

Or, for those pesky co workers.. buy an axe and just keep it at your desk, write "Todd must die" on it. I don't know any Todd's but I doubt any of them are up to any good. >:(

Sorry for commenting late. You've gotten some good and funny responses.  Whatever you do, don't react based on hating your co-workers.  Decisions based on emotion, especially negative ones, tend to be impulsive, and end up crappy decisions that put you in an even worse situation [1].  I agree with a few responses along the lines of ignoring the assholes and controlling only yourself.

[1] Except the decision to have spontaneous and inappropriate sex, which is a crappy decision, but also very awesome. (said in Norm MacDonald voice)

Sardondi

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on July 02, 2013, 12:26:25 AM
Sorry for commenting late. You've gotten some good and funny responses.  Whatever you do, don't react based on hating your co-workers.  Decisions based on emotion, especially negative ones, tend to be impulsive, and end up crappy decisions that put you in an even worse situation [1].  I agree with a few responses along the lines of ignoring the assholes and controlling only yourself.

[1] Except the decision to have spontaneous and inappropriate sex, which is a crappy decision, but also very awesome. (said in Norm MacDonald voice)
That's actually very good advice. Well, except for the sleeping with folks from work: remember, you cannot get away from them. There's a good reason Dad said to never dip your pen in the company ink.

Also, I've held off from saying this but I think you might need to hear it: I've found that when someone talks about what horrible assholes his/her co-workers are, there's almost always plenty of blame to go around. It's been my experience that if you have a good attitude, try to do your job well, stop bitching, offer to help others, stop gossiping, and generally just be nice, everyone else automatically gets nicer too. Funny how that works.

Pragmier

Recently I was fortunate to be recruited by a company that appears to have their shit together, and they're hiring. If anyone has banking, real estate, or mortgage experience and is interested in work in Orlando or Boca Raton, FL or Denver shoot me a PM. And GL to you SR-71, there's wise counsel on these boards.

coaster

Consider yourself lucky if you think having asshole coworkers somehow means you have a crappy life. It could be far worse. At least you're employed and receive a paycheck. That would be the good life for a lot of people.