• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Rix Gins

Many wishes for a happy birthday from sister Annie.

Rix Gins

Here is a QSL ("I confirm reception" citizen band CB radio) postcard.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 14, 2019, 01:11:24 AM

"All you care to eat" is a gracious way of putting it.  I wonder what "without extravagance" was intended to convey, though.

I can't think what all those white-colored dishes with what look like pieces of fruit or vegetables arranged on top could be -- they can't all be mashed potatoes.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 14, 2019, 01:21:07 AM
"All you care to eat" is a gracious way of putting it.  I wonder what "without extravagance" was intended to convey, though.

I can't think what all those white-colored dishes with what look like pieces of fruit or vegetables arranged on top could be -- they can't all be mashed potatoes.

I think I see a full dish of cottage cheese adorned with sliced tomatoes and another that might possibly be a salad that is topped with sliced, hard boiled eggs.  Whatever is in that large bowl to the right looks tasty.  Melon chunks perhaps?   I think that the 'without extravagance' has to deal with that display of flowering plants.  Probably plastic, huh?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 14, 2019, 01:41:04 AM
I think I see a full dish of cottage cheese adorned with sliced tomatoes and another that might possibly be a salad that is topped with sliced, hard boiled eggs.  Whatever is in that large bowl to the right looks tasty.  Melon chunks perhaps?   I think that the 'without extravagance' has to deal with that display of flowering plants.  Probably plastic, huh?

Oh they must be plastic!  I don't think that red one with the streamers corresponds to any known species, but it is Florida.

I hadn't considered cottage cheese -- you must be right.  I am always trying to make these smorgasbords fit within what I know of Swedish cuisine but they must be a more general term for what we'd call a buffet restaurant nowadays with the Swedish bit tacked on for exoticism, like how tiki places were Chinese restaurants with stronger drinks.

Rix Gins

A fairly elegant setting.  Not bad for a motor hotel restaurant.

Rix Gins

As I've mentioned before, I got to go to the Seattle World's Fair back in 1962.  I was just a 12 year old kid at the time, and perhaps it's for that reason that I have no recollection of being inside such a grand building.  Funny though, that odd sculpture to the right tugs at my memory receptors somewhat.  So perhaps I did step inside of the place after all. 

Rix Gins

The Roosevelt Hotel is alive and well, down there in New Orleans.

Lots of famous people have stayed there, including Sonny and Cher, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Audrey Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Bob Hope, and Grace Kelly, just to mention a few.
https://www.therooseveltneworleans.com/about-the-waldorf/history/hotel-history.html

Rix Gins

Another All You Care To Eat Sweden House Smorgasbord.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 26, 2019, 08:22:41 PM

Another All You Care To Eat Sweden House Smorgasbord.

With more tantalizingly unidentifiable food!  This time I for sure see the meatballs, which is good, but what are those giant lacy flapjacks on stands?

Here the white things appear like garnished salads, probably varieties of potato.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 26, 2019, 08:37:40 PM
With more tantalizingly unidentifiable food!  This time I for sure see the meatballs, which is good, but what are those giant lacy flapjacks on stands?

Here the white things appear like garnished salads, probably varieties of potato.

Haha!  I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the thing at the bottom to the fat left.  Some kind of sculpted glass bowl holding sliced tomatoes? 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 26, 2019, 08:44:18 PM
Haha!  I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the thing at the bottom to the fat left.  Some kind of sculpted glass bowl holding sliced tomatoes?

Oh that does look odd!  I suspect a large roast of some kind; you can see the heatlamp above it and its red glow reflected in the metal buffet cover.  But it doesn't look very edible.

K_Dubb

Now I am seeing rolls in a basket warmed by the lamp.  This is maddening and it's making me hungry.

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 26, 2019, 08:52:37 PM
Now I am seeing rolls in a basket warmed by the lamp.  This is maddening and it's making me hungry.

Your life is sublime...god bless.

K_Dubb

Quote from: chefist on May 26, 2019, 09:00:11 PM
Your life is sublime...god bless.

God bless you too, chef.

In my mind the restaurant plays this on a loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwmb2WcudFQ