• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

starramus

Get the inside story about the design problems with the 737 Max. What Boeing has done is monstrous, and criminal. Ralph Nader tells it like it is. https://www.rt.com/shows/on-contact/463042-civic-life-ralph-nader/ You won't want to get on one after seeing this interview.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: starramus on July 03, 2019, 07:38:51 PM
Get the inside story about the design problems with the 737 Max. What Boeing has done is monstrous, and criminal. Ralph Nader tells it like it is. https://www.rt.com/shows/on-contact/463042-civic-life-ralph-nader/ You won't want to get on one after seeing this interview.

What Boeing did was because the FAA (due to chronic cut backs) absolved itself of signing off the update. The debate about whether the Max series of aeroplanes should have been an entirely new proposition and certification (Read: Millions of dollars) will roll on for years and years, and most can see why Boeing did what they did to head off the Airbus update, but ultimately they pretty much were the fox put  in charge of the hen house.

starramus

there's more to it with the competition with Airbus Boeing tacked on the larger engines onto a 1960's air frame. They then made up for it with software, but to cut costs hired software engineers for $9.00 per hour. Profit once again more valuable than our lives. Capitalism at its finest.  Listen to Ralph fill in the lurid details. Really a great interview.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on July 03, 2019, 07:28:48 PM
A helicopter and PC12 were doing a photo shoot over Adelaide and caused people to panic. Probably the most exciting thing to have ever happened in 'Radelaide'.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-03/police-plane-and-helicopter-spotted-circling-adelaide/11275840

https://twitter.com/DrScienceLover/status/1146257553871032321

Why would a police force have a PC-12? That seems like a lot of airplane for routine police work.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: starramus on July 03, 2019, 08:31:30 PM
there's more to it with the competition with Airbus Boeing tacked on the larger engines onto a 1960's air frame. They then made up for it with software, but to cut costs hired software engineers for $9.00 per hour. Profit once again more valuable than our lives. Capitalism at its finest.  Listen to Ralph fill in the lurid details. Really a great interview.

Indeed, but they put the larger engines (with a different thrust line to the standard fitment) because they wanted to make a quick, relatively cheap (!) alternative to the Airbus offering, which necessitated the software in the first place. The issue after the failure is as much to do with the sheer effort needed by the crew to counteract the auto anti stall than it is the actual software. What is criminal is that Boeing didn't deem it necessary to actually make it common knowledge and a simulator update to be trained on. Pilots shouldn't be made out to be the ones at fault the way Boeing have implied.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 03, 2019, 08:37:46 PM
Why would a police force have a PC-12? That seems like a lot of airplane for routine police work.
Yellow Hordes might invade at any time. If they haven't already bought up all the real estate.  ;) But, yeah, cool looking plane though.  Maybe someone's cousin and a "if we don't spend this budget quickly we might not get it and the raise next year, or a drug seizure deal and decided to kept and repaint the plane?

Yorkshire pud

I imagine because of the distances involved.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 03, 2019, 08:49:41 PM
I imagine because of the distances involved.
Sure, a lot of mountains but Austria isn't that large.    ;)   

Happy 4th of July! 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on July 03, 2019, 08:52:29 PM
Sure, a lot of mountains but Austria isn't that large.    ;)   

Happy 4th of July!

With the famed Mountain kangaroos.

starramus

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 03, 2019, 08:40:46 PM
What is criminal is that Boeing didn't deem it necessary to actually make it common knowledge and a simulator update to be trained on.

As Ralph states no less than manslaughter. However their only punishments are hits on their stock price. A 100 million dollar offering is nothing for the lives of 300 + human beings. Where is american justice?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: starramus on July 03, 2019, 08:31:30 PM

Here's an article to have a gander at.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/failed-certification-faa-missed-safety-issues-in-the-737-max-system-implicated-in-the-lion-air-crash/

And what an acquaintance of mine said (He's a highly qualified aerospace engineer).

QuoteIf the allegations are accurate then I struggle to see how Boeing could continue to hold its Design Authority approval (other than the "too big to fail" thing).

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 03, 2019, 08:59:28 PM

With the famed Mountain kangaroos.
It is the wombats in Austria a pilot really needs to worry about! That kind of Alpine bat can fly right into an engine intake!    ;)

Taaroa

We don't have 'local police' as such, just state and federal, so there's a lot of ground to cover when say one state is the size of western Europe and most facilities (eg courts, prisons, hospitals) are concentrated in one city for each of them. As far as I know, 3 states use PC12s, 1 uses Cessna Caravans and stationairs, and they all uses helicopters for around the cities and charter aircraft ad hoc.

I guess it's mostly prisoner and personnel transfer, but I do recall hearing that they were used for long distance highway patrols. The federal police has a black aircraft too that was accidentally acknowledged once, apparently used for communications intercepts.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service is a thing too because of the distances and they use a mix of PC12s, King Airs, and PC24s - all of which are used because of the need to be able to land on rough strips (probably applies to the police planes too) and do long journeys without refueling.

https://youtu.be/z0aQtBTNxWg

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on July 03, 2019, 10:31:24 PM
We don't have 'local police' as such, just state and federal, so there's a lot of ground to cover when say one state is the size of western Europe and most facilities (eg courts, prisons, hospitals) are concentrated in one city for each of them. As far as I know, 3 states use PC12s, 1 uses Cessna Caravans and stationairs, and they all uses helicopters for around the cities and charter aircraft ad hoc.

I guess it's mostly prisoner and personnel transfer, but I do recall hearing that they were used for long distance highway patrols. The federal police has a black aircraft too that was accidentally acknowledged once, apparently used for communications intercepts.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service is a thing too because of the distances and they use a mix of PC12s, King Airs, and PC24s - all of which are used because of the need to be able to land on rough strips (probably applies to the police planes too) and do long journeys without refueling.

https://youtu.be/z0aQtBTNxWg

The range part I get, but prisoner and personnel transport wouldn't be considered "routine" use of police air assets here.  I've been on commercial airliners where police officers, federal marshals I think, were transporting handcuffed prisoners.  Also, the Bureau of Prison has their own a/c, similar to the movie "Conair," but they're regular commercial style airliners, not surplus tactical airlifters.

Taaroa

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 04, 2019, 08:10:17 AM
The range part I get, but prisoner and personnel transport wouldn't be considered "routine" use of police air assets here.  I've been on commercial airliners where police officers, federal marshals I think, were transporting handcuffed prisoners.  Also, the Bureau of Prison has their own a/c, similar to the movie "Conair," but they're regular commercial style airliners, not surplus tactical airlifters.

I'm sure they use commercial where they can, but these are going to towns where there is either no service at all or it's infrequent and expensive. The federal government are known to charter 737s to move illegal immigrants around (and they're hidden from flight tracking sites) though...

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 03, 2019, 09:04:55 PM
If the allegations are accurate then I struggle to see how Boeing could continue to hold its Design Authority approval (other than the "too big to fail" thing).

I've been asked by a few people for my opinion on this, and my answer is always something to the effect of "they're going to get sued for a lot of money, but they're too big and entrenched in the US govt and airline world for any lasting damage to be done to them".
From what I've been reading and hearing, the picture at Boeing just gets worse constantly (just have a read through of this thread) - and the 737Max is only part of that. It's a bit shocking that their management haven't fallen on their swords already.

Taaroa

FAA Initiates Rulemaking on Supersonic Flights
QuoteThe DOT and the FAA are taking steps to advance the development of civil supersonic aircraft beginning with the FAA's initiation of two rulemaking activities on civil supersonic aircraft noise. The first is a proposed rule for noise certification of supersonic aircraft, the second a proposed rule to streamline and clarify the procedures to obtain special flight authorization for conducting supersonic flight-testing in the United States since the Part 36 noise certification standards don't apply to supersonic aircraft. The goal is to develop new standards that are technologically and economically feasible. The current FAR 91.817 essentially prohibits flight over the U.S. by any aircraft faster than Mach 1 true airspeed.

https://www.flyingmag.com/faa-initiates-rulemaking-on-supersonic-flights/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-aircraft-supersonic/faa-moves-to-support-growth-of-civil-supersonic-air-industry-idUSKCN1TI2HS

Uncle Duke

Yesterday I had the opportunity to see the world's only flyable P-82 Twin Mustang. It was on its way from Georgia to the huge airshow at Oshkosh, and landed at a small municipal airport about 30 miles east of here. A good friend of mine, a member of the local "warbird mafia," gave me the head's up to see this ultra rare aircraft.

chefist

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 14, 2019, 08:31:17 PM
Yesterday I had the opportunity to see the world's only flyable P-82 Twin Mustang. It was on its way from Georgia to the huge airshow at Oshkosh, and landed at a small municipal airport about 30 miles east of here. A good friend of mine, a member of the local "warbird mafia," gave me the head's up to see this ultra rare aircraft.

Jesus...never heard of them...and I'm a P-38 lightning nut. Thanks for this!

PS...the Brits should have purchased the turbo chargers on their P-38s...FYI

Hog

F-117A out flying with NASA F-15D, July 11,2019.  The NASA F-15 was wearing some sort of unidentified sensor package.

https://combataircraft.keypublishing.com/2019/07/14/aggressor-f-117-incredible-new-images-revealed/

peace
Hog