• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

AppealPlay

Vaguely lovable may be Art's greatest description of anything.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 13, 2015, 10:35:15 AM
Glenn Gould was a dick, too.

I must jot that one down. You never know, an utterly witless remark might come in handy some day.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 13, 2015, 10:40:43 AM
Vaguely lovable may be Art's greatest description of anything.

It's a catch all innocuous line unlikely to offend anyone. Keeps everyone onside.

AppealPlay

Someone's cranky!  Turn that frown upside down!

Copyright claims are evil.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 13, 2015, 10:33:11 AM
And again! The man's an artist, in his way.

Glad to have you around... to preform your (you're?) proof reading shkills

AppealPlay

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 13, 2015, 10:46:39 AM
Glad to have you around... to preform your (you're?) proof reading shkills

Yer.

ShayP

On a different note........ :)

I'm listening to an old Art Bell program (from 1999) and he was very kind in explaining his frustration with bad audio and mentioned this started when the phone companies broke up.  Of all the years of doing this I am reminded why he still gets frustrated with bad audio.  Quite frankly, even though he may seem "cranky" at times when he addresses the problem with callers, I think he's being pretty tolerant.  I sometimes think to myself...'Art let it go...I can hear just fine.'  Then again, I'm not doing a show by myself, attached to the headset and a mic, having to weed through countless callers.  No wonder Skype is prefered.  :D

And another thing!  I recall a program where Art claimed his allegiance to the Oakland Raiders.  Is this still true Mr. Bell?   Being it's the first Sunday with football I feel it's an appropriate question.  ;)

smithy

Quote from: Art Bell on September 12, 2015, 07:48:26 PM
I don't mind people being critical, I will say however that Bell Gab is far more critical then compared to other places or email I have received but it is the nature of this board, that has always just been a fact of life here. As somebody said I am a big boy and can take it, don't worry.

My leaving Sirius/XM had nothing to do with critical comments at all, it was a lack of dependable streaming, very poor connections and a lack of caring about Piracy along with a lot of other stuff. I love the set up I have now, no complaints. I think we are doing fine and I will continue to experiment with stuff that seems fun. Not all of it works, the World has changed and I thought it very interesting that I found a well spoken Athiest but could not find a worthy opponent.

If at some point I do decide to stop it would be because I don't get enough time with my Family, we are of course on opposite time clocks and I do miss the time with them but for now it's ok.

Feel free to hack at me as you wish, I can handle it.

Art

Anyone who's spent months or years of their life on a venture such as radio broadcast, podcast, blog, publication or other similar investment that reaches out on the internet discovers at some point that the most vocal feedback comes from those who complain, criticize and even threaten. You don't usually hear from the people who enjoy the free product and feel they have nothing to contribute by offering words of support.  Many of us who have invested our energies with hardly (if any) payback financially do at some point consider quitting and pulling the plug when the negative comments become too much.

I imagine that Art's comment about missing his family would be one of the factors in ending this production, but he would balance that with the joy he gets out doing this and knowing that he's making so many people happy.

However, if the criticism is greater than the positive feedback it can kill the fun. If you can offer great suggestions and options for the future while minimizing the importance of your distate for a single show or topic, the goal to keep Art around may be beter served.   

I have enjoyed every single show.  I even turned on C2C to see how much I enjoy it. My radio stayed on for about 3 minutes. Case solved.

Art Bell

Still like the Raiders but we are more of a Green Bay Family now and for the last few Years.

If anybody could not take critical words I don't think they could survive this board for more then a day at most, I have been on here for Years now. I will survive, and if I don't, blame Jaz as usual.

Art

Quote from: Art Bell on September 13, 2015, 02:06:00 PM
Still like the Raiders but we are more of a Green Bay Family now and for the last few Years.

If anybody could not take critical words I don't think they could survive this board for more then a day at most, I have been on here for Years now. I will survive, and if I don't, blame Jaz as usual.

Art

It could be worse. Imagine being Dave and all the things said about him!

coaster

ItsOver

Art
Ha!  Jaz, the all-purpose scapegoat. ;)  Art, your thread is usually fairly civil compared to the GNS thread and the bane of all threads, Politics.  :P

Quote from: ItsOver on September 13, 2015, 02:26:34 PM
Ha!  Jaz, the all-purpose scapegoat. ;)  Art, your thread is usually fairly civil compared to the GNS thread and the bane of all threads, Politics.  :P

Don't forget Falkie's joint.

SciFiAuthor

BellBoy

...and if I don't, blame Jaz as usual.

Art

Bloody Aussies, always up to no good...

AppealPlay

Quote from: ItsOver on September 13, 2015, 02:26:34 PM

Dave is a uniter of people.  We can all rally around the fact that Art rules and Snoory sucks.

jazmunda

Art

You do realize that this means war? :P

How dare you switch teams like that.  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 13, 2015, 02:31:50 PM
Don't forget Falkie's joint.
Ack!  That thread traumatized me so much, I blotted it out of my mind.  I still suffer from Post-Falkie Stress Disorder.

Quote from: ItsOver on September 13, 2015, 02:41:28 PM
I still suffer from Post-Falkie Stress Disorder.

So does Sweet Kathy.

K_Dubb

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 13, 2015, 02:37:47 PM
Dave is a uniter of people.  We can all rally around the fact that Art rules and Snoory sucks.

I blame Dave.  Would never have occurred to me to think critically about late-night paranormal radio -- mindless entertainment for me -- until he started sucking so badly.  Now the knives are honed.

With Art, though, things move quickly; there's a what's-gonna-happen air of expectation that Dave can only dream of.

Art Bell

Like I said, the only factor in how long I can do this is not critical comments, but how it effects my ability to spend time with my family. It is really upside down, I am usually up till at least 3AM and Asia gets up at 6AM for school, As a rule I sleep till Noon, so there is not much time left for what really counts.

Art

phrodo

Quote from: Art Bell on September 13, 2015, 03:05:54 PM
Like I said, the only factor in how long I can do this is not critical comments, but how it effects my ability to spend time with my family. It is really upside down, I am usually up till at least 3AM and Asia gets up at 6AM for school, As a rule I sleep till Noon, so there is not much time left for what really counts.

Art

At least you can spend some time with her after school... that's prime time anyway. Then after supper or her bedtime you can go to work. You also have time between noon and Asia coming home from school for alone time with Airyn. Even if you only get to do a few hours of show prep ... that puts you at about four more hours of prep than Dave does.  ;)

AppealPlay

Art

I hope you're able to make it work as we dearly love having you back. :)

Quote from: Art Bell on September 12, 2015, 07:48:26 PM
... If at some point I do decide to stop it would be because I don't get enough time with my Family, we are of course on opposite time clocks and I do miss the time with them but for now it's ok...

Art

The issue of time to spend with family keeps coming up - and it's certainly a legitimate one.  It does make me think the show will come to an end sooner rather than later.

Why not do the program once a week, or however many times a week will give you the right balance between your personal life and the show?  It wouldn't even have to be set in stone - twice one week, 3 times the following week, skip a week or two for a family vacation, 3 shows the following week, a couple week of just Friday and Saturday, and so on.  We all have internet access and can easily check the schedule

BellBoy

Art

AppealPlay

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 13, 2015, 03:18:48 PM
The issue of time to spend with family keeps coming up - and it's certainly a legitimate one.  It does make me think the show will come to an end sooner rather than later.

I know and it bums me out majorly.  I know it's selfish of me but I just want Art to keep doing radio no matter what. :-\

I do hope he figures out a way to balance his work and family.  Hell, even if it meant doing middays I would still be happy,

heater

Quote from: jazmunda on September 13, 2015, 02:38:32 PM
You do realize that this means war? :P

How dare you switch teams like that.  ;D

it's jaz's fault.