• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

coaster

I'd like to see coast's ratings. I bet they plummet. 

Mild Bill

Quote from: Art Bell on September 12, 2015, 08:20:18 PM
Well I am glad Richard is doing well, I did everything possible to help him, we do very different shows which is also fine. Remember we are on the same team. If some of you like his style better I am more than good with that. I hope he continues to kill it. Remember we are up against Coast, not each other, the better we both do the better chance we have of creating a smaller but better alternative.

Art

Yes, Richard is doing well thanks to you and you are both on the same team, and that's the point! Two different personalities with contrasting interviewing styles. I couldn't be happier!! Listenership is growing for both of you!

Bellgabbers can be a contentious lot. Vaguely lovable as you put it! There are a silent majority, the die-hard fans who aren't members. Look at the stats at the bottom of the page. More guests than members!

norland2424

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 08:28:31 PM

The only listener's i think would stay with coast would be the ones that never heard art bell back in the days.

phrodo

Well I am glad Richard is doing well, I did everything possible to help him, we do very different shows which is also fine. Remember we are on the same team. If some of you like his style better I am more than good with that. I hope he continues to kill it. Remember we are up against Coast, not each other, the better we both do the better chance we have of creating a smaller but better alternative.

Art

Well - RCH's show is OK .. but he is nowhere near your level of expertise with interviews and flat out entertainment. And RCH on a bad night/batshit crazy mode is better than Dave on his best night. No worries if you don't hit it out of the park every night -- even the mighty Babe Ruth only had a career batting average of .342 - which means he only got a hit slightly over every third trip to the plate.  ;)

trostol

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 08:28:31 PM

well Talkers still has it at 2.75 million..as it has been for about a year now ..dunno how reliable they are

http://www.talkers.com/top-talk-radio-audiences/

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on September 12, 2015, 08:32:38 PM
The only listener's i think would stay with coast would be the ones that never heard art bell back in the days.

i ..personally diagree lol til art returned i never hard him back in the day  :P

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on September 12, 2015, 08:35:35 PM
i ..personally diagree lol til art returned i never hard him back in the day  :P

Then there is hope then for the rest of you lol.

trostol

i am sorta amazed that only Annie from Alabama has found Art so far lol

ItsOver

Quote from: trostol on September 12, 2015, 08:26:13 PM
no comparison ..i havent even turned on C2C since you and RCH started..not even on weekends with Knapp who i really do like..while i have not enjoyed all the guests..you are light years better then GN
That is certainly the truth. Keep on keeping on, Art.  I haven't noticed many posts in the "Art Bell Sucks!" thread. ;)

Mild Bill

Art, I've been listening to you since '94. I remember your 300th affiliate celebration show and your 400th! There are too many memories to recount.

But you are back and it is because of the "quickening"; you know it, we know it. So keep doing what you do so well. Your instincts are needed.

starrmtn001

Quote from: aldousburbank on September 11, 2015, 07:42:01 PM
Heather and Art complement each other nicely. She has an encyclopedic knowledge of Art's work, a deep appreciation for the quality of the show, and the perfect talent for letting Art be Art. I am glad to say that I know the lady pretty darn well and let me tell you friends, Art dowsed her abilities right out of the rubble pile that is BellGab.
So, now we're RubbleGabblers? K.  Could be worse I guess. ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: starrmtn001 on September 12, 2015, 08:58:10 PM
So, now we're RubbleGabblers? K.  Could be worse I guess. ;)
At least we're not a pile of Noory. ;)

starrmtn001

Art
What's Coast? ::)

Dateline

I like that Art is open to trying out new ideas for MITD.  Now, all those that disagree, go take your Tangy Tangerine and go snooze.

I love Art's show. Even on slow nights.
I love Richard's show.  Even insane nights..
What I love: Good radio. And I cannot wait to keep listening each night, so as long as we are all lucky enough to have it.

I have steered clear of the board here for a bit, but not because I am not listening. Simply because I am just trying to listen without the background noise.

I love Bellgab. I took three hours tonight just getting caught up on a week of posts...
But I also love the fact that Art Bell is back. And even love that Hoagland has a show.  And that the lovely Ms. Wade is involved..
And that THE CHASE opens the night..
And that Noory has become meaningless.

So even when I don't like a show, I will not be critical, really.
After all, Art Bell is back.
I love that the most.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Dateline on September 12, 2015, 09:17:36 PM
I like that Art is open to trying out new ideas for MITD.  Now, all those that disagree, go take your Tangy Tangerine and go snooze.
Tangy Tangerine
Nice!

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Art Bell on September 12, 2015, 07:51:50 PM
One more thing, in "the old days" I would have had the opposite problem, again the World has changed.

Well, now I feel like crap for criticizing juries and listener debates.  None of this is meant to "hack" at Art... only constructive feedback.

CornyCrow

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 12, 2015, 05:22:16 PM
I know.  That is why I'm so reticent to ever say anything critical of the show. :-\
The more Art's audience grows the more interesting open phone nights will be.  He knows this.  I think some people here are way to critical.  Often to gain in life, you must take risks.  The decision to have a debate is such a decision.  To me, Art always manages to make a show interesting, even if it did not turn out the way initially intended. 

CornyCrow

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 12, 2015, 05:27:53 PM
Constructive criticism will actually ensure the survival of the show.
Yeah, but some guys go overboard.  Sometimes you just go with the flow in life and appreciate things that happen without planning.  Sometimes you cut a guest a bit of slack, too, and realize not everyone is as precise with their language or as focused in intent as a computer programmer.   

weeberwubber

Quote from: HorrorReporter on September 12, 2015, 09:18:39 PM
I love Art's show. Even on slow nights.
I love Richard's show.  Even insane nights..
What I love: Good radio. And I cannot wait to keep listening each night, so as long as we are all lucky enough to have it.

I have steered clear of the board here for a bit, but not because I am not listening. Simply because I am just trying to listen without the background noise.

I love Bellgab. I took three hours tonight just getting caught up on a week of posts...
But I also love the fact that Art Bell is back. And even love that Hoagland has a show.  And that the lovely Ms. Wade is involved..
And that THE CHASE opens the night..
And that Noory has become meaningless.

So even when I don't like a show, I will not be critical, really.
After all, Art Bell is back.
I love that the most.

Well said! Don't even know how to retort so here is a bunny applauding the effort.

coaster

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 12, 2015, 09:33:30 PM
Well, now I feel like crap for criticizing juries and listener debates.  None of this is meant to "hack" at Art... only constructive feedback.
Don't feel bad. Art has honest listeners. Noory's fans kiss his ass. I respect criticism far more than kneeling and kissing rings. I always thought Art liked feedback. the fact that the debate guys were not good is not a slight to Art, its honest feedback. If someone honestly thinks that those two annoying callers debating each other was entertaining, they are liars, ring-kissers, or have no idea what good radio is. My guess is all three.
Btw, if anyone thinks those two debate jokers were good, the two jokers that had no valid argument or evidence was good, than I am really confused as to why.

CornyCrow

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 10:19:26 PM
Don't feel bad. Art has honest listeners. Noory's fans kiss his ass. I respect criticism far more than kneeling and kissing rings. I always thought Art liked feedback. the fact that the debate guys were not good is not a slight to Art, its honest feedback. If someone honestly thinks that those two annoying callers debating each other was entertaining, they are liars, ring-kissers, or have no idea what good radio is. My guess is all three.
Btw, if anyone thinks those two debate jokers were good, the two jokers that had no valid argument or evidence was good, than I am really confused as to why.
The atheist guy was really interesting.  Maybe Art could have started interviewing him for a bit while awaiting a tasty god-fearer. The idea that our complexity presupposes a creator loses with me because we have no idea of how many planets are out there in a situation that will support human life and how many billions of time the universe tried and erred in creating humans.  The more tries you have, the more likely the long shot will pan out. 

coaster

What was the one question the guy asked? "What religion do you follow" I think. The other idiot replied back with "what religion don't you follow" I have loved Art since the 90's, but those two guys are NOT good radio.

CornyCrow

Quote from: coaster on September 12, 2015, 10:29:43 PM
What was the one question the guy asked? "What religion do you follow" I think. The other idiot replied back with "what religion don't you follow" I have loved Art since the 90's, but those two guys are NOT good radio.
I suspect that the bible-toters are Dave fans - doesn't he have bible prophecy people on?  Do we want to attract them?  I don't know who the current names are in the biblical prophecy world, but if we knew of a guest in advance we'd could target an audience by stuffing fliers in windshields during Sunday services.  Not that I'd have the energy to do such a thing.  And, not that I would love such an audience.   

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Art Bell on September 12, 2015, 07:51:50 PM
One more thing, in "the old days" I would have had the opposite problem, again the World has changed.

I wondered about that. I was thinking "Art can't find a fundamentalist Christian?". They used to be everywhere. Now, apparently not so much.

I'm enjoying your show and Hoagland's. It's 5 hours of really fantastic radio. I just wish for more hard science guests like Dr. Dvorak.

Juan Cena

Quote from: trostol on September 12, 2015, 08:33:56 PM
well Talkers still has it at 2.75 million..as it has been for about a year now ..dunno how reliable they are

http://www.talkers.com/top-talk-radio-audiences/

It would help to know from what point in time that particular list represents.
It could've been before Art's show started, for all we know.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 12, 2015, 04:37:19 PM
Yes, I am going to sound like a complete asshole.  And, perhaps I should be called an asshole for what I am about to say.  So be it.  I hate Art's completely contrived "let's make a debate" shows.  Friday night's show was an example of how this type of show is so boring I'd rather watch someone who is watching paint dry.  What's wrong with just going to open lines?  Some of the best shows Art ever did came from pure open line nights.  The "jury" and "let's make a debate" shows suck, period.  I'm not saying that Art sucks, but the disjointed format hobbled together to make those shows make me double check to see if I accidentally tuned in to Dave's show.  Don't take me wrong.  I love everything else that Art is doing.

The problem is that the majority of Americans don't have proper debating skills.

Quote from: Mild Bill on September 12, 2015, 08:31:33 PM
Yes, Richard is doing well thanks to you and you are both on the same team, and that's the point! Two different personalities with contrasting interviewing styles. I couldn't be happier!! Listenership is growing for both of you!

Bellgabbers can be a contentious lot. Vaguely lovable as you put it! There are a silent majority, the die-hard fans who aren't members. Look at the stats at the bottom of the page. More guests than members!

:D

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Juan Cena on September 12, 2015, 11:19:26 PM
The problem is that the majority of Americans don't have proper debating skills.

That's bullshit!

(place on ignore)