• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Winter Holiday Thread

Started by pyewacket, December 04, 2015, 12:33:34 AM

Ciardelo

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 17, 2015, 04:30:40 PM
Thanks Gins, here's my 60s-vintage star, of which I'm inordinately proud:
I think I saw that on a DVD authenticating the Billy Meier story.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 17, 2015, 04:30:40 PM
Thanks Gins, here's my 60s-vintage star, of which I'm inordinately proud:

It's quite beautiful and indeed something to be proud of.  Remember these?

Once they heat up, little bubbles circulate inside.  To this day I can't understand how they work.  I did read somewhere that if one ever broke, the liquid inside would totally and irrevocably stain a carpet.

nbirnes

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 17, 2015, 10:59:06 PM

Once they heat up, little bubbles circulate inside.  To this day I can't understand how they work.  I did read somewhere that if one ever broke, the liquid inside would totally and irrevocably stain a carpet.

Don't bother with the new ones. They are clear and lousy. I could take of photo of the crummy ones I have, so to warn you. They were one of the most magical things of my childhood.

Rix Gins

Quote from: nbirnes on December 17, 2015, 11:06:14 PM
Don't bother with the new ones. They are clear and lousy. I could take of photo of the crummy ones I have, so to warn you. They were one of the most magical things of my childhood.

Thanks for the warning...didn't know they were still being made.  My daughter has a couple with the red dye inside.  Must be the old ones.

Rix Gins

Quote from: pyewacket on December 17, 2015, 04:02:13 PM
Christmas cheers, sweetie darling! Thank you for the vintage card - I adore collectables. Just remember when shopping- make sure everything is expensive and gorgeous!  ;) ;D

Will do, my dear!  lol

pyewacket

Quote from: indobase.com
The Story Of Maria And Pablo
The legend behind the poinsettia flowers is a sweet one. Here is the story of a little girl and her brother and their love for the Lord.

A long time ago in Mexico, there lived a little girl called Maria and her brother Pablo. They were from a poor family. Maria and her brother looked forward to Christmas when, every year, the local church set up a nativity scene. Even before Christmas, the celebrations usually started with a lot of pomp and show. Maria and Pablo loved Christmas, but they were disheartened because they could not afford to give the baby Jesus a gift on his birthday. As they walked to the Church that Christmas Eve, Maria was not happy, but sad. As she and her brother were walking, an angel came to them and said, "All you have to do is gather what's at your feet."

Hearing this, the children obeyed and diligently gathered the weeds that were on the side of the road. They proceeded to the Church, and by now Maria's heart was lighter because she knew that she was giving the Lord a gift which was filled with love. The other children jeered and mocked them. Maria and her brother placed the weeds near the crib of Jesus. Looking at them doing this, the other children started embarrassing them and almost brought Maria to tears. At this instant there was a miracle. The green weeds turned into beautiful red star shaped flowers. The other children stopped laughing at them and were stunned at what had happened. They realized that a gift did not have to be expensive; it must be given from the heart to be accepted by the Lord. Since that night, the poinsettia flowers have been called, 'Flores de Noche Buena', meaning 'Flowers of the Holy Night'.

For more info-site link:

http://www.indobase.com/holidays/christmas/legends/legend-of-poinsettias.html

pyewacket

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 17, 2015, 11:33:55 PM
Will do, my dear!  lol

It's fabulous Rix! And remember- "You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes".  ;)

Quote from: pyewacket on December 17, 2015, 05:53:07 PM
Christmas Conspiracies

Tracing the Occult Origins of Christmas

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2015/12/16/tracing-the-occult-origins-of-christmas/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=PostShare&utm_campaign=TMU

I wish somebody had told me about all that cool pagan magic mushroom ritual sex stuff before I squandered the best years of my life celebrating Christmas entirely the wrong way!  Nuts!  >:(

Rix Gins

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 18, 2015, 02:51:19 AM
I wish somebody had told me about all that cool pagan magic mushroom ritual sex stuff before I squandered the best years of my life celebrating Christmas entirely the wrong way!  Nuts!  >:(

I guess Santa could have told us about them...but noooo...he was too busy kissing our moms.   :D

pyewacket

All Hail to the tech people! Whose talent makes all our festive lights, effects, and music possible. Although this is not a Christmas Carol, it's too good not to share. I present you with a Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody version you've probably never heard before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht96HJ01SE4

pyewacket

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 18, 2015, 03:17:32 AM
I guess Santa could have told us about them...but noooo...he was too busy kissing our moms.   :D

That would explain why his eyes are always twinkling!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 17, 2015, 10:59:06 PM

Yes!  My folks had an old short string of them.  Haven't seen them for years.

It's time to start givin' out wings to Christmas angels!

pyewacket

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 18, 2015, 12:23:52 PM
It's time to start givin' out wings to Christmas angels!

It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favorite Christmas movies!

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on December 18, 2015, 12:38:38 PM
The lawyers who got it out of the pubic domain and so only shown twice on network tv now will never get their wings.

pyewacket

Quote from: albrecht on December 18, 2015, 12:45:32 PM
The lawyers who got it out of the pubic domain and so only shown twice on network tv now will never get their wings.

Cue the lawyer jokes!

A very successful lawyer parked his brand-new Lexus in front of his office, ready to show it off to his colleagues. As he got out, a truck passed too close and completely tore off the door on the driver's side. The lawyer immediately grabbed his cell phone, dialed 911, and within minutes a policeman pulled up. Before the officer had a chance to ask any questions, the lawyer started screaming hysterically.

His Lexus, which he had just picked up the day before, was now completely ruined and would never be the same, no matter what the body shop did to it. When the lawyer finally wound down from his ranting and raving, the officer shook his head in disgust and disbelief.

"I can't believe how materialistic you lawyers are," he said. "You are so focused on your possessions that you don't notice anything else."

"How can you say such a thing?" asked the lawyer.

The cop replied, "Don't you know that your left arm is missing from the elbow down? It must have been torn off when the truck hit you!"

"My God!" screamed the lawyer. "Where's my Rolex?!" 

Quote from: pyewacket on December 18, 2015, 12:38:38 PM

Here's my second favorite Christmas movie, The Cheaters.  Don't be surprised if you haven't heard of it, because it's almost never shown on TV any more, with the exception of once on TCM a few years ago. I know about it only because a local station in my home town showed it every Christmas Eve for a few years in the late seventies/early eighties. It's pretty much a cheap little B-movie, but it has an excellent cast and a lot of charm.  Enjoy!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037588/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klouw-V0JpA

pyewacket

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 19, 2015, 12:42:51 PM
Here's my second favorite Christmas movie, The Cheaters.  Don't be surprised if you haven't heard of it, because it's almost never shown on TV any more, with the exception of once on TCM a few years ago. I know about it only because a local station in my home town showed it every Christmas Eve for a few years in the late seventies/early eighties. It's pretty much a cheap little B-movie, but it has an excellent cast and a lot of charm.  Enjoy!

Thank you RGG! I've never heard of this film. I'll watch it this week and maybe I'll have another favorite for my list.  :)

Quote from: pyewacket on December 19, 2015, 03:30:57 PM
Thank you RGG! I've never heard of this film. I'll watch it this week and maybe I'll have another favorite for my list.  :)

Cheers, pye!  For best results, watch it late at night (ideally on Christmas Eve if it won't interfere with any family traditions) with plenty of bubbly, a joss stick or two, and lots of lovely, delicious little nibbly things.  ;D

pyewacket

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 20, 2015, 12:07:25 AM
Cheers, pye!  For best results, watch it late at night (ideally on Christmas Eve if it won't interfere with any family traditions) with plenty of bubbly, a joss stick or two, and lots of lovely, delicious little nibbly things.  ;D

Oh you know me so well, RGG.  ;) We celebrated early due to schedule demands- so I'll take you advice- sounds divine. Thank you.  :-*

Here's a card for all of you darlings- Happy Christmas!

K_Dubb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klouw-V0JpA

Now that was a fun little movie!  Goes great with egg nog.  Thanks!

pyewacket

Thank you so much, RGG! This is a fun holiday movie and will be added to my list of favorites. I'm so glad you posted the link. Merry Christmas!  :-*

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on December 20, 2015, 02:28:33 PM
Now that was a fun little movie!  Goes great with egg nog.  Thanks!

I agree with K.  That was a cute flick Robert and thanks for posting it.  Clever dialogue and that's what I like in a movie.  Great cast of characters too.  In the small world department, I once lived in a house that was previously lived in by Billie Burke's script writer.  At least that's what my dad called him.  I've often wondered if the guy was more like her personal business manager but...will never know for sure cuz that was many, many years ago and I never did try to find out what the fellow's name was.  Thanks again.

Rix Gins

Quote from: pyewacket on December 20, 2015, 12:16:34 AM
Oh you know me so well, RGG.  ;) We celebrated early due to schedule demands- so I'll take you advice- sounds divine. Thank you.  :-*

Here's a card for all of you darlings- Happy Christmas!

Beautiful card Pye, thanks.  Oh by the way I've got the champagne fountain all set up for our Winter Holiday office party.  :D

pyewacket

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 20, 2015, 11:39:21 PM
Beautiful card Pye, thanks.  Oh by the way I've got the champagne fountain all set up for our Winter Holiday office party.  :D

You're welcome, Rix. Cheers, darling, now that's what I call a party! After a few of those I call dibs on the Sonny and Cher number for drunken Karaoke if one of you will join me.   ;D

Rix Gins

Quote from: pyewacket on December 21, 2015, 01:20:16 AM
You're welcome, Rix. Cheers, darling, now that's what I call a party! After a few of those I call dibs on the Sonny and Cher number for drunken Karaoke if one of you will join me.   ;D

But of course, my dear.  And after our duet, I'll treat you to a rendition of Valli's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You."  It's the only song I seem to have any luck with when it comes to Karaoke.  But first...more champagne!   ;D

who wants a picture with Creepy Santa?