• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

5 Worst Talk Radio/Podcasts

Started by Lavarat, February 22, 2016, 08:31:07 AM

Lavarat

In no particular order these shows are terrible.

1. Caravan To Midnight --- Way too political, latches on to any and all conspiracy theories, including the non eventful Jade Helm hysteria, FEMA camp nonsense,  constant promises of gloom and doom, liberals are out to eat your children fear mongering. host John Wells can't get over the fact that Obama was elected and constantly whines about Obama throughout the entire show, which most people get bored listening to. Promotes the birch society, fundamentalist christian perspective and mixes it into modern day paranoid conspiracy talk, making it a mix of hysteria and impending doom and gloom. The end of the world, Obama is the anti-christ yeah sure John I think I will tune out.

2. The HigherSide Chats ---- This is a very amateurish run show by a host who sounds like is in his late teens that never bothers to study the topic or paranormal conspiracy guest, and has apparently no idea how to properly conduct an interview. This is the result of anybody with a computer and a mic suddenly declaring themselves a radio host, despite having no skill or talent as a host. The vibe of this show reminds me of a pothead sitting in their mothers basement who just believes everything without ever using healthy skepticism.

3. George Noory --- We know why, no explanation. Corporate controlled show dictated by a mega radio corporation iHeart. Noory never asks tough questions and does not care if his guest is lying or flat out making things up, as long as it is a "remarkable story" as Noory says.

4. KGRA Radio -- This is a poorly designed attempt at an internet radio network that reminds me of a college dorm room station or half time show, versus a paranormal talk. The website is hard to navigate, the quality of shows leaves much to be desired. There is no attempt to separate truth from fiction freely allowing such guests as Micheal Horn, Blake Cousins, and multiple other spin doctors to appear on the network without giving a rat if they are defrauding the audience. They spend more time patting themselves on the back than actually producing quality programs.

5. Jeff Rense --  At one time in the 90's this show was decent, until Rense decided to turn mostly political. Nowdays there is no paranormal talk on the show. Rense's radical kooky political views that align with stormfront.org, david duke, white nationalist radio, and the constant profane biggotry. He now mostly uses his small time show to help promote Donald Trump. Not a show that is any different than what we hear daily on Fox News.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Lavarat on February 22, 2016, 08:31:07 AM

5. Jeff Rense --  At one time in the 90's this show was decent, until Rense decided to turn mostly political. Nowdays there is no paranormal talk on the show. Rense's radical kooky political views that align with stormfront.org, david duke, white nationalist radio, and the constant profane biggotry. He now mostly uses his small time show to help promote Donald Trump. Not a show that is any different than what we hear daily on Fox News.

I'd forgotten about Rense, but then so has everyone else. I had a quick look at his 'website'; it's plastered with ads from the usual suspects, and there is hardly any content at all until you scroll down a bit. As a general rule, whenever you hear a guest on Rense you can usually expect the Jews to play a significant part in whatever nefarious dealings are under discussion. I am not even sure if Rense is an actual human being or some kind of parody. No wonder he's such a fan of Trump, as they look like they share a love of bizarre hairstyles.

Lavarat

Rense has a radio network that includes the David Duke show, and Stormfront radio.

So it is clear were he stands.

Uncle Duke

Paranormal Central--A Sunday night travesty out of California (Fresno?), was on DMDN for a couple years.  It's basically a couple stoners talking shit they think, I'm sure, makes perfect sense; think "Bill and Ted's God Awful Paranormal Adenture".  This show is so bad, I honestly thought it was a parody of paranormal talk radio the first time I heard it.  My favorite guest was a "UFO researcher" who bemoaned the fact he couldn't get anyone to take an extraordinary sighting he had seriously just because he was on LSD at the time of the incident.

Spooky Southcoast--This is an actual over-the-air paranormal show on a small, low-power station out of Mass.  In fairness, I'd call this program more silly than bad.  The show reminds me of the "morning zoo" format heard on FM morning drive time programming, the hosts bantering back and forth and laughing happily at their own wittiness.  In the half dozen or so times I've listened to this show, I've heard maybe three callers who responded to the pleas of the hosts to call in on air.  I did enjoy one particular show where the hosts were interviewing some of cast of "Ghost Hunters" who were at a party and sounded drunk.

As for KGRA, while I agree the station on whole appears to be suffer from being run on a shoestring budget, some of the shows (including our own Jim Malliard's) are/were pretty good.  There are two I find particularly annoying, however.

Richard Dolan Show--Dolan has written a couple good UFO books, and makes a respectable guest on various paranormal radio shows.  As a radio show host however, he comes off as a self-important prick who apparently loves to hear himself philosophize on some of the world's most pressing problems.   The shows I've heard him do would have been better suited for the late "Air America" talk network than a paranormal station. 

Chase Kloetzke--KGRA's answer to George Noory, a ufolgist/paranormal investigator who's had a few different programs on KGRA.  Terrible interviewer who asks mostly stock questions and giggles too much.  First time I heard her I did an on-line search to find out more about her, a good percentage of what I found were comments about her being "hot".  I also found the bio on her website to be one of the most convoluted I've ever read.

SredniVashtar

The ParaCast: Gene Steinberg is up there among the world's most annoying human beings. It claims to be the 'gold 'standard for paranormal radio' but it sounds like two old bores banging on about the same old stuff that everyone else does. And don't get me started on 'Attack of the Rockoids'.

Corona Kitty

End of days radio - the guys need to be shot dead.

Jackstar

#1 George Noory

#2 George Noory

#3 George Noory

#4 George Noory

#5 George Noory

It's no contest.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 22, 2016, 11:16:36 AM
The ParaCast: Gene Steinberg is up there among the world's most annoying human beings. It claims to be the 'gold 'standard for paranormal radio' but it sounds like two old bores banging on about the same old stuff that everyone else does. And don't get me started on 'Attack of the Rockoids'.

+1000

I always get a kick when they rag on Linda Moulton Howe and then turn around and have Rosemary Ellen Guiley on to discuss the Djinn.   I used to think it odd that once in a blue moon they would have some schmuck of their forum on as a guest.    Right up until Art plucked a forum member to be his producer and then turned over the whole lot to her.  I'll see your oddness and raise you with high strangeness...........

Quote from: Jackstar on February 22, 2016, 09:04:21 PM
#1 George Noory

#2 George Noory

#3 George Noory

#4 George Noory

#5 George Noory

It's no contest.

At least Noory makes me laugh sometimes.  He is such a brilliant wordsmith, lol.

Seriously, I'd have to add Tricky Dick Hoagland to the list.  He makes Dolan sound humble.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 22, 2016, 08:48:29 AM
I'd forgotten about Rense, but then so has everyone else. I had a quick look at his 'website'; it's plastered with ads from the usual suspects, and there is hardly any content at all until you scroll down a bit. As a general rule, whenever you hear a guest on Rense you can usually expect the Jews to play a significant part in whatever nefarious dealings are under discussion. I am not even sure if Rense is an actual human being or some kind of parody. No wonder he's such a fan of Trump, as they look like they share a love of bizarre hairstyles.

Jeez Louise - I wondered the same thing for quite sometime.   Is that a real guy or just some sort of cartoon?   I came to the conclusion that he's all to real.  Lord knows if he really believes any of the stuff he barks out or is it just shtick.....  Quite frankly I am not sure what would be worse......

Oh and he really does look like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhSPkR_wkwo

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 22, 2016, 11:01:29 AM
<snip>
Chase Kloetzke--KGRA's answer to George Noory, a ufolgist/paranormal investigator who's had a few different programs on KGRA.  Terrible interviewer who asks mostly stock questions and giggles too much.  First time I heard her I did an on-line search to find out more about her, a good percentage of what I found were comments about her being "hot".  I also found the bio on her website to be one of the most convoluted I've ever read.

She has said in the past that her hubby was a Naval Officer on subs.   I always thought to myself "Boy the Navy has to just love the fact Mrs. Kloetzke is out there in the UFO community looking for little green men".   If any the services are still pretty uptight I'd guess it would be the Navy.   

I'm assuming this is Mr. Kloetzke:
http://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrse/installations/navsubbase_kings_bay/about/biographies/cdr_peter_j_kloetzke.html

Auslandia

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 22, 2016, 11:16:36 AM

I disagree here.  Gene is pretty fucking grumpy I agree but at least he has the balls to call bullshit on some of these people.  He recently gave Whitley Strieber a hard time for his latest book about nothing.  And he gave Peter Davenport a hard time about keeping his database private.  Yes the Rockoids is ridiculous and the big Burkie water filter ads are nuts but I still think it's a worthwhile show.

Jackstar

I don't think most of you here get it. This is a thread for talk shows that are objectively bad, not just things that you don't like.

GNS.

Auslandia

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 22, 2016, 11:01:29 AM
Paranormal Central--A Sunday night travesty out of California (Fresno?), was on DMDN for a couple years.  It's basically a couple stoners talking shit they think, I'm sure, makes perfect sense; think "Bill and Ted's God Awful Paranormal Adenture".  This show is so bad, I honestly thought it was a parody of paranormal talk radio the first time I heard it.  My favorite guest was a "UFO researcher" who bemoaned the fact he couldn't get anyone to take an extraordinary sighting he had seriously just because he was on LSD at the time of the incident.

Spooky Southcoast--This is an actual over-the-air paranormal show on a small, low-power station out of Mass.  In fairness, I'd call this program more silly than bad.  The show reminds me of the "morning zoo" format heard on FM morning drive time programming, the hosts bantering back and forth and laughing happily at their own wittiness.  In the half dozen or so times I've listened to this show, I've heard maybe three callers who responded to the pleas of the hosts to call in on air.  I did enjoy one particular show where the hosts were interviewing some of cast of "Ghost Hunters" who were at a party and sounded drunk.

As for KGRA, while I agree the station on whole appears to be suffer from being run on a shoestring budget, some of the shows (including our own Jim Malliard's) are/were pretty good.  There are two I find particularly annoying, however.

Richard Dolan Show--Dolan has written a couple good UFO books, and makes a respectable guest on various paranormal radio shows.  As a radio show host however, he comes off as a self-important prick who apparently loves to hear himself philosophize on some of the world's most pressing problems.   The shows I've heard him do would have been better suited for the late "Air America" talk network than a paranormal station. 

KGRA is 75% crap just like DMDN.  The 25% that is listenable isn't bad.  The Gralien Report is entertaining although largely just regurgitating random news reports.  Dolan is pretty high & mighty but his observations are fairly well thought out and you've gotta admit he's pretty well spoken.  I can't remember if the Higherside Chats is on KGRA too but it's not bad if you get past his voice.  The host is a pretty smart guy; he just sounds like a surfer dude for some  reason.

I tend not to listen and remember shows I don't like, and only have time to listen to an occasional Joe Rogan podcast or Howard Stern.

However, let me tell you a story about my experience with Mark Levin and his show.

About 12 years ago I took a journalism course as an elective.  One of our assignments was to listen to a radio program or watch a television show we were not familiar with and during the commercial breaks take note of the commercials and create a composite of what we thought the demographics of the show were.  I turned on the radio around 1pm or so and started searching the AM dial and landed upon this dude talking.  I was blown away  by how bad it was.  Since I was listening to an AM station in the afternoon I honestly thought this dude was someone local who was just paying the station to air his program.  I didn't end up using the Mark Levin show as an assignment since I couldn't make it through the first 10 minutes of what I was listening to, but his name stuck me.  Several years later  I start seeing him pop up on political talk shows on TV and learn that he is a nationally syndicated radio show host.

I am still surprised that he has any audience.

Auslandia

Quote from: The King of Kings on February 22, 2016, 09:43:31 PM
I tend not to listen and remember shows I don't like, and only have time to listen to an occasional Joe Rogan podcast or Howard Stern.

However, let me tell you a story about my experience with Mark Levin and his show.

About 12 years ago I took a journalism course as an elective.  One of our assignments was to listen to a radio program or watch a television show we were not familiar with and during the commercial breaks take note of the commercials and create a composite of what we thought the demographics of the show were.  I turned on the radio around 1pm or so and started searching the AM dial and landed upon this dude talking.  I was blown away by how bad it was.  Since I was listening to an AM station in the afternoon I honestly thought this dude was someone local who was just paying the station to air his program.  I didn't end up using the Mark Levin show as an assignment since I couldn't make it through the first 10 minutes of what I was listening to, but his name stuck me.  Several years later  I start seeing him pop up on political talk shows on TV and learn that he is a nationally syndicated radio show host.

I am still blown away that he has any audience.

He has listeners for the same reason Michael Saveage or Bill OReilly has them.  They're spouting anger & vitriol in an attempt to grab ratings.

malliard

KGRA has the same type of issues DRMN or what ever it is called now...

the issue most internet stations deal with...

malliard

and almost disappointed i didnt make the top 5... at something..

Auslandia

Quote from: malliard on February 22, 2016, 09:51:41 PM
and almost disappointed i didnt make the top 5... at something..

You're definitely not on my personal worst shows list lol. 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 22, 2016, 09:34:31 PM
She has said in the past that her hubby was a Naval Officer on subs.   I always thought to myself "Boy the Navy has to just love the fact Mrs. Kloetzke is out there in the UFO community looking for little green men".   If any the services are still pretty uptight I'd guess it would be the Navy.   

I'm assuming this is Mr. Kloetzke:
http://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrse/installations/navsubbase_kings_bay/about/biographies/cdr_peter_j_kloetzke.html

I'll grant you, from my very limited experience with submariners, they are a unique breed. The CDR and Mrs Kloetzke must have some very interesting discussions.

Auslandia

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 22, 2016, 10:50:16 PM
I'll grant you, from my very limited experience with submariners, they are a unique breed. The CDR and Mrs Kloetzke must have some very interesting discussions.

Radio hosting isn't really her strong suit.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Auslandia on February 22, 2016, 10:57:46 PM

Radio hosting isn't really her strong suit.

You'll get no argument from me on that.

henge0stone

Quote from: Auslandia on February 22, 2016, 09:36:56 PM

I disagree here.  Gene is pretty fucking grumpy I agree but at least he has the balls to call bullshit on some of these people.  He recently gave Whitley Strieber a hard time for his latest book about nothing.  And he gave Peter Davenport a hard time about keeping his database private.  Yes the Rockoids is ridiculous and the big Burkie water filter ads are nuts but I still think it's a worthwhile show.

I agree with this. The Rockoids and commercials suck and sometimes their humor is a little off but overall Paracast is much more skeptical than other paranormal podcasts. David owned Michael Horn when they debated, while most other podcasters and radio people just sit there and let Horn ramble his bullshit endlessly with no questions asked.

I also loved their reaction to some of Greer's bullshit. I wish David would come back on the show.

Auslandia

Quote from: henge0stone on February 23, 2016, 05:04:46 PM
I agree with this. The Rockoids and commercials suck and sometimes their humor is a little off but overall Paracast is much more skeptical than other paranormal podcasts. David owned Michael Horn when they debated, while most other podcasters and radio people just sit there and let Horn ramble his bullshit endlessly with no questions asked.

I also loved their reaction to some of Greer's bullshit. I wish David would come back on the show.

Oh god the Michael horn interview was classic

Bob Bain is terrible

Jim Harold doesn't float my boat either

Quote from: malliard on February 22, 2016, 09:51:02 PM
KGRA has the same type of issues DRMN or what ever it is called now...

the issue most internet stations deal with...

Your podcast isn't even close to the worst. There is some horrible listening out there. How is We're alive so popular?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Auslandia on February 22, 2016, 09:41:37 PM

KGRA is 75% crap just like DMDN.  The 25% that is listenable isn't bad.  The Gralien Report is entertaining although largely just regurgitating random news reports.  Dolan is pretty high & mighty but his observations are fairly well thought out and you've gotta admit he's pretty well spoken.  I can't remember if the Higherside Chats is on KGRA too but it's not bad if you get past his voice.  The host is a pretty smart guy; he just sounds like a surfer dude for some  reason.

Probably because he does the show stoned, some more than others, and I believe he is out of San Diego. I listened for awhile, but just deleted all of his podcasts. When he first started he had an interesting concept for the money bomb. Giving back half of the donations to a random donater each month. I stopped listening when he went to a subscription for the second hour. At free he was ok, depending on the guest. He did a good Jim Maars show.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 25, 2016, 10:44:40 AM
Probably because he does the show stoned, some more than others, and I believe he is out of San Diego. I listened for awhile, but just deleted all of his podcasts. When he first started he had an interesting concept for the money bomb. Giving back half of the donations to a random donater each month. I stopped listening when he went to a subscription for the second hour. At free he was ok, depending on the guest. He did a good Jim Maars show.

You're saying you think Dolan is doing his show stoned?