• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hurricane Harvey

Started by albrecht, August 24, 2017, 11:59:10 AM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 29, 2017, 11:17:14 AM
Hopefully there's a group of experts who are looking at this strategically. The rebuild is going to take years to do after this stops, and its likely some places will not be inhabitable again. Disease outbreaks, tetanus jabs etc. When does it get so bad that other states are going to be taking refugees or will Texas be able to deal with it all? The exhaustion of the rescue teams must be enormous. :-\

I can't wait until something horrible happens to Britain so I can come on here an gloat about it the way you do when something bad happens here. Your island of elitists needs to be nuked off the face of the Earth. Then the world would dance in peace together.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 29, 2017, 01:56:38 PM

...Will do absolutely nothing...Zero...

Where's ZaZa? Someone needs to wish this guy gets ass cancer.  :D

chefist

Hurricane Harvey...fuck you carbon dioxides!

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 29, 2017, 06:21:19 PM
I'm glad it's tolerable for you there Gravity.

By my mid 30's I had experienced two "hundred year floods". Gila River, Southern AZ,  1983- I watched my house from a hilltop as it popped off the foundation and joined several other houses in a float downstream toward the old cement bridge. Nearly every house exploded on impact.

Ten years later, on higher ground, I was cutoff from the rest of civilization for 3 months. Only way out was a 1.5 hour four wheel drive exit to the first paved highway, or a swim across the swollen river. The night my dad had cardiac arrest and died, I swam across the damn thing in the dark with all manner of debris along for the crazy ass ride. When the flooding was at its max and I still couldn't drive out the backway due to flooding washes, the national guard helicoptered in provisions which I purchased over the phone. Also, a tv news station chopper landed with donations of dogfood for us to feed the animals at our neighbors place. There were only two houses on our side of the river and the neighbor lady had been flown out by the national guard as she was about to give birth, leaving her dogs behind.

Storms are natures way of blowing your mind and getting you to really care about the weather.

Hang in there amigo. Texas- fuck yeah!
Sad story. Horrible. I know in desert regions, and here, unlike Houston, it is usually the flash-floods that happen so damn quickly. Until one sees a flash-flood or a wild-fire you don't appreciate the speed at which they move. In both cases they seem to sort of have a self-accelerating effect as they spread. Scary stuff.

Thanks. I'm good here but my brother house is flooded out first floor and vehicles, etc. Oddly his bbq pit and small platform deck it was on was floating in the former back yard. But they got out by airboat and he taking it stoically and at least, unlike so many others, at a place with power etc. Roads still closed so no idea what is happening now. Will go down when they open to help with demo. Folks on coast are ok and people doing runs with gas and propane because no power and it appears that most government types have pulled out to help in Houston since larger population and situation more dire.

Up All Night

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 29, 2017, 05:04:24 PM
Looks like you will be out of the woods soon.  Glad you are well.   :D

They will be out of the woods when the water levels in all of the reservoirs and levees reduce back to normal levels.

The speed and time that the water has been traveling in the channels, with the erosion that goes with that has started to impact infrastructure, such as bridges and pipelines.

Pentagon says up to 30,000 National Guard troops prepared to assist in response to Harvey

The Guard has alerted thousands of forces across the nation for possible deployment. It has already sent elite special operations para-rescuers from California and New York to aid in the effort, he said.

“We are leaning as far forward as we possibly can to ensure that military assets are postured to support the needs of Texas and potentially Louisiana,” Witham said.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-essential-washington-updates-pentagon-says-up-to-30-000-national-1504032239-htmlstory.html

Texas Gov. Gregg Abbott has ordered the entire Texas National Guard, which numbers around 12,000 troops, to assist those affected by the storm. Only about 3,500 Texas guardsmen are now involved, which raised questions as to whether U.S. commanders in Washington had identified a bigger demand than Texas officials were willing to request.

Witham said, “Texas has been given everything that they’ve asked for” and that the Pentagon expects “more forces will be requested.”

“If you look at the magnitude and duration of this storm, we are just trying to anticipate additional needs on behalf of Texas,” he said.

The California Air National Guard from the 129th Rescue Wing in Mountain View had deployed about 90 guardsmen on Monday night.

The wing sent a team of Guardian Angel para-rescuers, a U.S. special operations search-and-rescue unit. The wing also sent two HH-60G Pave Hawk rescue helicopters and an MC-130 transport aircraft.

“This is their wheelhouse,” said Capt. Will Martin, a California National Guard spokesman. “They carry out over-water rescue throughout the year and they have been in Texas before.”

The Bay Area wing was deployed to Texas in disaster response to Hurricane Rita in 2005, Hurricane Ike and Hurricane Gustav in 2008.

Quote from: Up All Night on August 29, 2017, 09:39:35 PM
They will be out of the woods when the water levels in all of the reservoirs and levees reduce back to normal levels.

The speed and time that the water has been traveling in the channels, with the erosion that goes with that has started to impact infrastructure, such as bridges and pipelines.

I was talking specifically about GS.  I agree that it will be a while before the whole area gets back to normal.  Many times the worst flooding occurs after a storm leaves what with the runoff from hilly areas and various water sources.  I  expect in 3-4 days, we swill start seeing the flooding recede significantly.

Then there is the massive cleanup after the waters recede.  That will be ongoing for months probably years.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 29, 2017, 09:46:58 PM
I was talking specifically about GS.  I agree that it will be a while before the whole area gets back to normal.  Many times the worst flooding occurs after a storm leaves what with the runoff from hilly areas and various water sources.  I  expect in 3-4 days, we swill start seeing the flooding recede significantly.

Then there is the massive cleanup after the waters recede.  That will be ongoing for months probably years.
Some levees have been breached or busted and there is an on-going operation about how to deal with letting water out of dams, systems, etc in a manner that doesn't damage them or cause downstream problems. And managing the rivers, creeks, bayous as best they can. Then, as you mention, the clean up, and insurance/rebuilding issues and, I'm sure, talk about infrastructure or government management and zoning issues. Already the national news is spinning a lot in terms of climate change, zoning problems, inequality/racism, guns, not enough Federal power- the usual talking-points. On the ground the police, fire departments, "white trash", and people are doing good things and rescuing people, hosting people, bringing supplies, etc.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 29, 2017, 10:13:29 PM
Acosta is such a wankin' wanker!

He really is! He's always just SO earnest about everything.  ::) ;D

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on August 29, 2017, 10:09:46 PM
there is an on-going operation about how to deal with letting water out of dams, systems, etc in a manner that doesn't damage them or cause downstream problems. And managing the rivers, creeks, bayous as best they can. Then, as you mention, the clean up, and insurance/rebuilding issues and, I'm sure, talk about infrastructure or government management and zoning issues

... how many golf courses are under water?

Already the national news is spinning a lot in terms of

starrmtn001

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 29, 2017, 10:17:10 PM
He really is! He's always just SO earnest about everything.  ::) ;D
It's a cover for the joke that he is.

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 29, 2017, 09:46:58 PM

Some levees have been breached or busted and there is an on-going operation about how to deal with letting water out of dams, systems, etc in a manner that doesn't damage them or cause downstream problems. And managing the rivers, creeks, bayous as best they can. Then, as you mention, the clean up, and insurance/rebuilding issues and, I'm sure, talk about infrastructure or government management and zoning issues. Already the national news is spinning a lot in terms of climate change, zoning problems, inequality/racism, guns, not enough Federal power- the usual talking-points. On the ground the police, fire departments, "white trash", and people are doing good things and rescuing people, hosting people, bringing supplies, etc.

Sorry to hear that the floods invaded your brother's house.  Hope it wasn't too bad and my best wishes to him and others impacted by the floods.  LOL on newscasters calling it a result of "climate change".   These storms are nothing new on the Earth.  They don't happen often but they are devastating when they do occur.  24 hours news networks want to gin up tensions and instigate conflicts where there aren't any. Ratings, ratings, ratings.  Well screw them! I don't pay much attention to them anymore. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on August 29, 2017, 10:20:38 PM

Bellgab is a board of Love.

Someone needs to hammer a nail into it.

Up All Night

I wasn't able to post the FB Video, but please link there to see a Houston resident recording someone in her block playing an inspired version of the Star Spangled Banner on their electric guitar.  :D

https://www.facebook.com/SharyeJane/videos/1333889056734067

https://www.facebook.com/SharyeJane/posts/1333889643400675

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 29, 2017, 10:23:58 PM
These storms are nothing new on the Earth.

I feel like you're missing out on the benefits of participating in class by failing to apply yourself to the required reading materials.

starrmtn001

BREAKING: President Donald Trump is Sending TWO Navy to help TEXAS following Hurricane Harvey.  8.30.17.

https://youtu.be/lBqWhTG7goc

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: starrmtn001 on August 30, 2017, 05:42:53 PM
BREAKING: President Donald Trump is Sending TWO Navy to help TEXAS following Hurricane Harvey.  8.30.17.

What is two navy? Pet name for Bannon?

Up All Night

New evacuation orders issued in epic flooding emergency

http://abc13.com/traffic/mandatory-evacuation-issued-around-barker-reservoir/2337616/

It's staggering, the amount of mandatory sub-division evacuations!

UPDATE 1:25 A.M. THURSDAY - A mandatory evacuation has been issued for more than a dozen subdivisions near the Barker Reservoir, which is expected to rise to record levels. County officials have created an interactive map showing the evacuation area.

Up All Night

HISD announces school won't start until Sept. 11th. I knew when they earlier gave a start date of Sept. 5th, that there was NO WAY they could get all of the schools ready from flood damage. Sept. 11th may even be too soon for all schools....

And, in other News.....

Houston gentleman's club Vivid Live gets behind Hurricane Harvey relief efforts

They announced from now until the end of September a portion of admission charges into the club would go to Harvey help.

No word if a portion of Lap Dance fees will go to help Harvey...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weather/hurricaneharvey/article/Houston-gentleman-s-club-Vivid-Live-gets-behind-12164555.php

chefist

Quote from: Up All Night on August 31, 2017, 03:33:41 PM
HISD announces school won't start until Sept. 11th. I knew when they earlier gave a start date of Sept. 5th, that there was NO WAY they could get all of the schools ready from flood damage. Sept. 11th may even be too soon for all schools....

And, in other News.....

Houston gentleman's club Vivid Live gets behind Hurricane Harvey relief efforts

They announced from now until the end of September a portion of admission charges into the club would go to Harvey help.

No word if a portion of Lap Dance fees will go to help Harvey...

I don't know why, but your username reminds me of this song.

https://youtu.be/HHU0pjAOEqw

I am so stressed out because of this fucking storm. FUCK YOU HARVEY.

I went into the Rockport area to help my in-laws who house was destroyed. Had to sit in stopped traffic because multiple politicians wanted some photo-ops. If politicians wanted to help they'd stay the fuck out of the way. I have so many problems right now and they want to get in my way.

Now panicked dumb son of a bitches are making gas runs all over Texas meaning there is no supply in some areas. 

albrecht

Quote from: nooryisawesome on August 31, 2017, 04:17:27 PM
I am so stressed out because of this fucking storm. FUCK YOU HARVEY.

I went into the Rockport area to help my in-laws who house was destroyed. Had to sit in stopped traffic because multiple politicians wanted some photo-ops. If politicians wanted to help they'd stay the fuck out of the way. I have so many problems right now and they want to get in my way.

Now panicked dumb son of a bitches are making gas runs all over Texas meaning there is no supply in some areas.
It was crazy. I got gas this morning, just a typical day and there was no problem. Than something happened in the mid-afternoon. News talk radio guys were blaming facebook or twitter rumors and by rush hour there were lines to the gas station, even blocking the street. No as bad as Carter days but sort of crazy for a non-problem (until it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy caused by the panicked buyers by hoarding gas, filling up tanks and not just vehicles, etc.) I can understand in areas that were hit by storm having shortages but why did people in Austin panic?
http://kxan.com/2017/08/30/state-despite-refinery-closures-gasoline-supply-plentiful/

Gd5150

Hurricane Harvey: 150 Billion in damages
CNN disgracing themselves once again as Fake News: priceless

https://youtu.be/rvbH_niuoNg

albrecht

Panicked buying is creating the shortage of gasoline. The few stations that have it the lines are long. None nearby have any though "they expect a truck in today." It is nutso. Will be "interesting" to see how the increased number of people coming in from flooded regions and the first football games of the season what with people coming into town, increased traffic, wanting gas for tailgates, etc?
http://tracker.gasbuddy.com/Search.aspx?t=search