• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

EBE123

This Hugh Ross guy sounds insane and believes Earth is the only planet with life in the entire universe and takes the Bible as complete fact, but at least he doesn't believe in the face on Mars. lol

zeebo

There was a funny part tonite when the creationist/astronomer guest said something like "Looking at Saturn with it's rings and moons is so amazing to me" and then Noory responded with "It sure does."  Entertainment, for all the wrong reasons.

zeebo

Quote from: EBE123 on December 24, 2013, 03:58:14 AM
This Hugh Ross guy sounds insane and believes Earth is the only planet with life in the entire universe and takes the Bible as complete fact, but at least he doesn't believe in the face on Mars. lol

Yeah he said some wacky stuff like God only needs one race of intelligent beings (us) to eradicate evil in the universe.  Um ... so what is there like little nebulas of non-sentient evil out there we're supposed to seek out and destroy with our ray guns? 

Also he said even though there's no other life in our universe it's totally there in other dimensions which is consistent with the bible etc.  Multi-dimensional creationism - it's gonna catch on, watch for it.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: zeebo on December 24, 2013, 04:01:36 AM
There was a funny part tonite when the creationist/astronomer guest said something like "Looking at Saturn with it's rings and moons is so amazing to me" and then Noory responded with "It sure does."  Entertainment, for all the wrong reasons.
Pure, consistent Mr. Malaprop Noory.
He is begging to be fired for incompetence.

Yorkshire pud

Hmmm, but what is more insane, is some people would agree with him. (face on Mars not withstanding, as if he thought it was it would negate his bollox opinion.)

Ben Shockley

And I heard about some coastal municipality in North Carolina, USA, where the town passed a law against ocean rise.   The mayor or some such "leader" in the movement pronounced himself a "god-fearing man" and said he sees NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE of "global warming."

Y'all got that ?!?  He's "GOD-FEARING," but makes public policy on the basis that he sees NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE of something.......

onan

Quote from: Ben Shockley on December 24, 2013, 05:29:41 AM
And I heard about some coastal municipality in North Carolina, USA, where the town passed a law against ocean rise.   

It wasn't a municipality, it was the state senate. Yeah we have a bunch of stupid fucks in this state. They legislated in grand style in the summer of 2012. What it did was ban researchers from publishing their predictions of increasing rise of sea level.

Senator Dan Rouzer, the author of the bill (called NC-20) made it illegal for state employees to use any data but historical measurements for future construction.

Quote"I'm not a scientist, but I'm not stupid," said Republican state Rep. Bill Cook, who supports the bill in the House and described the state's panel of scientists who developed the policy as "pseudo-scientists."

Yep, nothing compares to the home grown stupid in the good ol' state of NC.

valdez

This Hugh Ross guy sounds insane ...
Quote from: zeebo on December 24, 2013, 04:14:18 AM
Yeah he said some wacky stuff like God only needs one race of intelligent beings (us) to eradicate evil in the universe...
Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 24, 2013, 04:49:47 AM
...but what is more insane, is some people would agree with him...

While I normally like my science free of religion, with a tad of hazelnut, I didn't mind Hugh Ross' holy roller cosmology.  Maybe because it's Christmas time, and it’s all warm and fuzzy, or maybe it’s because the events of this past week have caused me to be a little more tolerant of people's religious beliefs.  It is, however, a contradiction to think the universe was created to stamp out evil since evil could not have existed before the universe was created.  I think.  Timey wimey thing.    Dr. John McDougall wants me to give up meat.  Out of my cold, dead hands.

SciFiAuthor

I'm not a creationist, but it's interesting how viewpoints flip flop. If you're science minded, which I am, you need proof that something exists to say definitively that it exists. The next best step is for there to be conditions that do not reasonably preclude that something exists, but that's a far cry from proof.

Trouble is, at present, there is absolutely nothing close to proof that life has ever evolved outside of earth. All we've got are indications that life could exist outside the earth, perhaps strong ones, based on the conditions needed for it to arise. But in 4.5 billion years, the Earth has only produced one truly intelligent species out of millions of other species past and present. Just one. One in way more than a million. Not good odds, the lottery is better.

And, well, here we sit. We've been listening for alien radio signals for decades and haven't found anything definitive. In other words there is a dearth of evidence that we're not alone.

Yet us science-minded folks will dismiss the idea that we're alone in the snap of a finger ... entirely on faith. But if someone suggests that we are possibly the only intelligent life in the universe, it's seen as ridiculous by the science-minded. When that's pointed out to me, I have no answer.

The religious people might be right on this one. Of course I have no way to tell, but until Shostak shows up with a signal, I don't know that it's a rational thing to do to discount the idea that we may be alone. That doesn't mean there was a god that made it all that way, but from what I heard Ross wasn't really outside of reasonable in his claim on that point.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 24, 2013, 06:29:33 AM
I'm not a creationist, but it's interesting how viewpoints flip flop. If you're science minded, which I am, you need proof that something exists to say definitively that it exists. The next best step is for there to be conditions that do not reasonably preclude that something exists, but that's a far cry from proof.

Trouble is, at present, there is absolutely nothing close to proof that life has ever evolved outside of earth. All we've got are indications that life could exist outside the earth, perhaps strong ones, based on the conditions needed for it to arise. But in 4.5 billion years, the Earth has only produced one truly intelligent species out of millions of other species past and present. Just one. One in way more than a million. Not good odds, the lottery is better.

And, well, here we sit. We've been listening for alien radio signals for decades and haven't found anything definitive. In other words there is a dearth of evidence that we're not alone.

Yet us science-minded folks will dismiss the idea that we're alone in the snap of a finger ... entirely on faith. But if someone suggests that we are possibly the only intelligent life in the universe, it's seen as ridiculous by the science-minded. When that's pointed out to me, I have no answer.

The religious people might be right on this one. Of course I have no way to tell, but until Shostak shows up with a signal, I don't know that it's a rational thing to do to discount the idea that we may be alone. That doesn't mean there was a god that made it all that way, but from what I heard Ross wasn't really outside of reasonable in his claim on that point.

As I understand it, a pure science would have no need of using the term "definitively", at all. The best it could hope for would be a satisfactorily high degree of predicting the occurrence or nature of a specified phenomena. Having said that, there is always a presupposition in science that the laws which govern a given locale are the same which govern another locale, provided the prevailing conditions are the same. There is no such thing as absolute certainty --- nor should there be --- but this is an unavoidable presupposition science must have, albeit one with finds confirmation in the limited capacity we have to test it. And if that presupposition is valid, and the cosmos is as vast as it seems to be, and the amount of earth-like planets are as frequent we can reasonably guess, then how could the position that there is other intelligent life out there be fundamentally different from the position that any locally observable phenomena will likely occur elsewhere, provided the conditions/laws of that area are reasonably equivalent?

BobGrau

Yeah he said some wacky stuff like God only needs one race of intelligent beings (us) to eradicate evil in the universe.  Um ... so what is there like little nebulas of non-sentient evil out there we're supposed to seek out and destroy with our ray guns? 

Snark Matter.

Also he said even though there's no other life in our universe it's totally there in other dimensions which is consistent with the bible etc.  Multi-dimensional creationism - it's gonna catch on, watch for it.

Doublethinkfaith.

Gnoory

Merry Christmas to all of you and I truly hope 2014 is a great year for you.
GN

BobGrau

Quote from: Gnoory on December 24, 2013, 10:26:20 AM
GN

Despite everything, you too.

(probably best if you don't run that through Reverse Speech though)

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 24, 2013, 06:29:33 AM

That was a core theme in Carl Sagan's Contact.

Also anyone have any ideas what the blind astronomer played by William Fichtner was about?

Juan

Merry Christmas to you, too, George, and to Tommy, Lisa and all the staff.  Why are you up so early?

onan

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 24, 2013, 10:34:14 AM

Also anyone have any ideas what the blind astronomer played by William Fichtner was about?

Based on the truth. Real guy's name is Kent Cullers. His father was a physicist and cultivated his son's interest in astrophysics. pretty much all I know about him.

Quote from: onan on December 24, 2013, 11:26:23 AM
Based on the truth. Real guy's name is Kent Cullers. His father was a physicist and cultivated his son's interest in astrophysics. pretty much all I know about him.

Thank you, I looked him up after reading your post. Very interesting story.

ItsOver

Quote from: Falkie2013 on December 24, 2013, 03:34:46 AM
Noory is the reason I go to old tv sites and watch stuff like Jack Benny, George Burns and the like. At least I laugh at some of the stuff, whereas Noory makes me feel like either crying over what he's done to the show or screaming if my voice worked right.
Same here, Falkie.  Me TV has become my "go to."  Some of the older stuff is quite good.  Great actors, great writing.  I'd forgotten just how good Peter Falk was in "Columbo" until I started watching it again on Sunday nights.  A similar routine for most of the shows but Falk did it so well, it's always entertaining.  Who else could do "just one more thing" so many times yet you're still looking forward to it.  Plus watching Lt. Columbo play-off actors such as Patrick McGoohan and Jack Cassidy is a true treat.    Great stuff never gets old.

Sambo

GN

Hard to hate on someone who wishes a Merry Christmas in his own suckage forum.

Merry Christmas George.

Glad to hear that you don't think Aliens are interdimensional demons anymore (Now are more likely ancients).  Also sounds as though you are beginning to hone in on why people are acting strange. Both are a step up from inducing an intangible sense of fear, paranoia, and isolation in to your audience by repeating the aforementioned on almost every single show.

Where were we......?  Oh and a Happy New Year to you too! ;)

tertiaryimam

GN

[attachimg=1]

ZHero

GN

Merry Krampus to you George.

aldousburbank

GN
Merry Christmas to you also George, and your family. I hope you have lots of free time to spend with them, and they with you.  Thanks for writing.
I was thinking...
2014, 2 + 1= 3
3 + 4 = 7
Isn't 7 the number of retirement, redemption, renegotiating preexisting contracts?  I mean in the bible and stuff.  Everybody knows.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on December 24, 2013, 11:26:23 AM

I never knew that; I thought with calling him Kent Clark is was a 'superman' type analogy.

GN

Eh, 2015 will be better.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: Sambo on December 24, 2013, 11:59:36 AM
Hard to hate on someone who wishes a Merry Christmas in his own suckage forum.

Merry Christmas George.

Glad to hear that you don't think Aliens are interdimensional demons anymore (Now are more likely ancients).  Also sounds as though you are beginning to hone in on why people are acting strange. Both are a step up from inducing an intangible sense of fear and paranoia in to your audience by repeating the aforementioned on almost every single show.

Where were we......?  Oh and a Happy New Year to you too! ;)

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that George's whole sthick is intentional. Why do you think he uses a Clockwork Orange's Alex with a Joe-Stalin-stache as his avatar?

[attachimg=1]

ItsOver

Quote from: Sambo on December 24, 2013, 11:59:36 AM
Hard to hate on someone who wishes a Merry Christmas in his own suckage forum...

The one thing I like about Jorch.  At least he knows where to post.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 24, 2013, 10:34:14 AM

It might be a reference to Kahlil Gibran's The Astronomer:

In the shadow of the temple my friend and I saw a blind man sitting alone. And my friend said, “Behold the wisest man of our land.”
Then I left my friend and approached the blind man and greeted him. And we conversed.
After a while I said, “Forgive my question, but since when hast thou been blind?”
“From my birth,” he answered.
Said I, “And what path of wisdom followest thou?”
Said he, “I am an astronomer.”
Then he placed his hand upon his breast, saying, “I watch all these suns and moons and stars.”

Updated for Noory:

In the shadow of a microphone my friend and I saw a forked-tongue man with a perfectly combed mustache sitting alone. And my friend said, “Behold the suckiest man of our land.”
Then I left my friend and approached the fork-tongue, mustached man and greeted him. And we conversed.
After a while I said, “Forgive my question, but since when hast thou been suckiest?”
“From my birth,” he answered.
Said I, “And what path of wisdom followest thou?”
Said he, “I am a late night Paranormal Radio show host, plus I also do Gaia TV, and I'm on Alex Jones a lot.”
Then he placed his hand upon his gas-station turkey sandwich, saying, “Even though I have enough money to eat cavier-coated lobsters that shit gold, I still eat these. G SHIT!”

tertiaryimam

GN

Hey George, I think you should address this:

I recently made one of your so-called "snack recipes". In particular, I made the one where you place guacamole on Ritz crackers. They were terrible so I fed them to my elderly bulldog, Trixie, and she got explosive fucking diarrhea all over the house. And when I say explosive, I'm not kidding or even joking: it was epic explosive, like something out of Die Hard II. She would turn towards my bookshelf, for instance, then shit up a storm, then waddle over to my DVD rack, then explode nasty guaco-ritz-cracker shit all over it, then she went to my X-Box 360 and shat on that too. The shit was goopy and smelled terrible, George! Plus, it had a high percentage of Omega 3 acids in it, so it was a bitch to clean! (no pun intended!) But what's even worse is that she then got into my marijuana --- which I sometimes give her for her glaucomas --- and totally ate that shit up. Then she shit again --- this time in my 2010 Ford Taurus. Because the shit had precious dank buds in it, I had to pick through the guac-shit to get to them, then I rinsed them off with flouridated tap water. Later when I smoked them I couldn't even hold them in my lungs because of the fucking gauco-ritz-shit-cracker taste!

I won't even tell you what happened when she shit in my micro-brew distillery.

What do you think about that George? You like ruining my life? Huh?

[attachimg=1]

Sambo

Quote from: tertiaryimam on December 24, 2013, 12:26:18 PM

I think what a lot of people don't realize is that George's whole sthick is intentional. Why do you think he uses a Clockwork Orange's Alex with a Joe-Stalin-stache as his avatar?

[attachimg=1]

I have no doubt the intent behind the communications. Embed fear and suspicion in to your audience and you earn their trust out of a distrust for everything else.