• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Go Palm!!! Die Apple!! Die Apple!!

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 08, 2009, 01:51:51 AM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 15, 2009, 06:43:40 AM
Look guys. You're throwing around so many stereotypes!
stereotypes tend to be rooted in truth.  it's why i don't mind them as much as i'm told i'm supposed to.

also, forget about any first hand anecdotal evidence of this prevailing attitude among macophiles of "escaping the man."  you need look no further than apple's "i'm a mac" commercials.

Frys Girl

Those commercials don't show that at all. It's about the mac sexy/hip vs. the PC geeky.

I'm glad everyone doesn't use mac. It makes them work hard and keep the prices low. I am scared of what they'd do if they did take over the world. 

MV/Liberace!

a summarization of my thoughts on the matter:

the pc does for me what i need it to do.  the mac apparently does for its users what they need it to do.  both have their place in the world, as does linux.  competition is good, and i think apple's recent gain in market share (albeit modest) was the kick in the pants microsoft needed.  hopefully windows7 will reflect a new direction for MS.

For the Palm question - I have a nintendo DS, a decent cell phone, and a GPS. I'm happy.  :)

In Germany, this thread is known as
"Go Palm!!! The Apple!! The Apple!!"

MV/Liberace!

wow! so much has happened in the world of smart phones since this thread was started.  where does one begin?

b_dubb

re: Palm VS Apple ... what's funny is that Palm was started by people who worked in the Newton group at Apple.  and if anyone remembers the OQO - a portable computer that would fit in your shirt sleeve - that was also started by former Apple hardware engineers.  it also imploded.  the OQO was ahead of it's time - woefully underpowered and super expensive. 

slipstream

I was looking at audio players on Newegg recently.  Here is the list of audio formats the ipod touch supports:
QuoteAAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV

And now the Archos 4.3 Internet Tablet - 8GB
• MP3 CBR & VBR
• WMA, WAV (PCM/ADPCM), AAC3
• AAC+ stereo audio files
• OGG Vorbis
• FLAC
Many similarities, but I think I like the FLAC and Ogg Vorbis support on the Archos is a winner for me.  The average Ipod user probably doesn't care what format their music comes in. 

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 14, 2009, 02:36:38 PM
additionally, apple says users who jailbreak their phones are in violation of the DMCA (digital millennium copyright act).

i hate it how those who leave the PC world frequently seem to believe they've escaped "the man."  bleh.  not even microsoft would operate with such an iron fist.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-11-12/tech/cnet.xbox.live.ban_1_banned-modern-warfare-informationweek?_s=PM:TECH

This is about as big as the iron fist gets.

Oh, and I'm getting a MacBook Pro 13" for Christmas.  Not because I've got some kind of boner for Steve Jobs' slowly rotting and decaying cock, but because everyone in my Broadcasting club in High School edits with Final Cut Pro, which is Mac OS X only.  I prefer Adobe Premier anyways.  And it is kind of a status thing once you get into college, as seen here:  http://funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/75188/SO+MANY+GLOWING+FRUITS/  I would much rather buy a custom-built PC with ridiculous specs for the same price.  Funny, because I'm probably one of the very few people (a.k.a. "not plebs") who is worried about the integrated graphics, dual-booting and processors when interested in purchasing a mac.  I do have an enormous amount of hate for the phone I currently.  Samsung Fascinate.  Complete piece of shit.  I totally should have bought an iPhone 4 or a Droid X.  Buyers remorse big time.

I also love my Zune HD to death.  100X better than the iPod touch.  Fuck the fucking haters.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NefariousBanana on December 11, 2011, 01:15:21 AM
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-11-12/tech/cnet.xbox.live.ban_1_banned-modern-warfare-informationweek?_s=PM:TECH

This is about as big as the iron fist gets.

while i can understand the anger at microsoft for this, i support their right to ban users who connect using stolen copies of games.  game development is profoundly expensive, and there must be SOME mechanism in place to ensure developers get compensated for their work.  period.  if that means banning a bunch of assholes from xbox live, i'm fine with that.  i pay for my xbox games.

microsoft's actions in your linked article are hardly comparable to apple seeking to use the DMCA as a means of maintaining control over a device YOU PAID FOR.  microsoft is simply saying, "don't connect to our servers if you're stealing games." 

i don't see the logic in your comparison of the two.

Meh, I just think both Microsoft and Apple can be corporate assholes at times.  Microsoft only a bit less now because they have the reputation from the anti-trust lawsuits.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NefariousBanana on December 11, 2011, 09:46:57 PM
Meh, I just think both Microsoft and Apple can be corporate assholes at times.  Microsoft only a bit less now because they have the reputation from the anti-trust lawsuits.

those lawsuits soooo neutered them.

slipstream

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on December 12, 2011, 02:06:12 AM

those lawsuits soooo neutered them.
And we have a  little better tech world because of it.

slipstream

Apple made havoc of the price of e-books.  They are the reason you'll go on Amazon and find a hardcover cheaper than the e-book.

Article written two months before the Ipad was released
Apple vs. Amazon: The Great E-book War Has Already Begun
An Article published published 4 months ago
Apple, publishers conspired against $9.99 Amazon e-books, says lawsuit
Last week
Feds jump on Apple-ebook price-fixing probe bandwagon

Finally A little good news:
Apple's iPad Sales Dinged by Amazon Kindle Fire: Analyst

slipstream

Here is an article from Gawker by Ryan Tate about what jerk Steve Jobs was.
What Everyone Is Too Polite to Say About Steve Jobs

I'm tired of the tech media lionizing this man. 

Quote from: slipstream on December 12, 2011, 02:44:31 AM
  Apple made havoc of the price of e-books.  They are the reason you'll go on Amazon and find a hardcover cheaper than the e-book.

Article written two months before the Ipad was released
Apple vs. Amazon: The Great E-book War Has Already Begun
An Article published published 4 months ago
Apple, publishers conspired against $9.99 Amazon e-books, says lawsuit
Last week
Feds jump on Apple-ebook price-fixing probe bandwagon

Finally A little good news:
Apple's iPad Sales Dinged by Amazon Kindle Fire: Analyst

And that's why you pirate e-books, silly.   :P

Frys Girl

Quote from: slipstream on December 12, 2011, 03:17:08 AM
Here is an article from Gawker by Ryan Tate about what jerk Steve Jobs was.
What Everyone Is Too Polite to Say About Steve Jobs

I walked by the Apple Store after he died, and people were writing post-it notes saying RIP and other such things. I did not like Steve Jobs, and I think if those people writing the notes actually knew they man, they wouldn't have been writing sweet notes for him. He was an ass.

McPhallus

Quote from: Frys Girl on December 17, 2011, 04:14:02 PM
I walked by the Apple Store after he died, and people were writing post-it notes saying RIP and other such things. I did not like Steve Jobs, and I think if those people writing the notes actually knew they man, they wouldn't have been writing sweet notes for him. He was an ass.

With him, it's more about what he represented than who he was personally.  People tend to care more about stuff that's present in their daily lives than what goes in at corporate headquarters or faraway factories.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on December 12, 2011, 03:17:08 AM

agreed.  i'm glad i'm not the only one who believed he was something of a cunt.

b_dubb

if Steve Jobs had been a "nice guy" no one would know who the fuck he was. and as a manager if you don't PUSH people to give their best they never will. this is business 101

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on December 17, 2011, 07:18:33 PM
if Steve Jobs had been a "nice guy" no one would know who the fuck he was. and as a manager if you don't PUSH people to give their best they never will. this is business 101

i agree with you, but there are so many anecdotal examples of jobs going way beyond any of that.

slipstream

Here it is:
Apple's Steve Jobs conspired on e-book price-fixing, lawsuits say from LA Times.

I've been looking at books on Amazon lately.  I have found many many e-books by some of the publishers, named in the lawsuit, for which the price is greater than their mass market paperback counterparts.  The mass market will sell for 7.99 while I have seen e-books for 8.39, and even 9.59 on one occasion. 

Thank you Steve Jobs for believing in the market, jerk!

McPhallus

But you gotta admit, the convenience of downloading ebooks* is amazing.

*from BitTorrent sites

slipstream

Quote from: McPhallus on April 11, 2012, 06:48:17 PM
But you gotta admit, the convenience of downloading ebooks* is amazing.

*from BitTorrent sites

I get my e-books from the local library. Thus, avoiding Steve Jobs' prices.

WOTR

If nothing else, you have to give Jobs credit for creating a band of brand loyal followers.  Having just bought a new razr to replace my now dying milestone, a good friend asked to see the new phone while we were out for coffee.  I placed it on the table near her and she pushed it away with one finger as though it were radioactive while declaring  with disgust in her voice that it was one of those androids.  This is a smart woman who seems to have joined the army who declares Jobs a deity.

I cannot say that the Iphone is bad- I just like the freedom to load my own operating systems and play with the internal workings of an android.  I like that there are communities of developers and that an app does not need official approval from one company.  As far as I can tell, unless Apple really screws up there is a ready made audience for their next product, their apps, their overpriced ebooks and anything else the company declares to be good.  I have a fairly strong dislike of Apple and doubt that I will ever own their products, but they do appeal to a large portion of the population who will pay more for what I see as an inferior product because it has a little silver logo on it...
Quote from: b_dubb on December 17, 2011, 07:18:33 PM
I have to disagree.  Hire the right people and provide the right environment and that big push becomes unnecessary.  Many people work for the love of the job, personal satisfaction and even the good of the company.  I can not argue with his results, but there are many ways to reach a goal.  This worked for him, others take a different approach.

slipstream

I already see the tech media, and even the mainstream media getting ready to slobber all over Apple's product announcement tomorrow.

McPhallus

Quote from: slipstream on September 06, 2012, 06:57:11 PM
I already see the tech media, and even the mainstream media getting ready to slobber all over Apple's product announcement tomorrow.

It's actually happening the 12th.  Even though I'm an iPhone guy myself, they need to have something really amazing this time to stand out from the crowd.

slipstream

Quote from: McPhallus on September 06, 2012, 07:58:24 PM
It's actually happening the 12th.  Even though I'm an iPhone guy myself, they need to have something really amazing this time to stand out from the crowd.

Thanks for the correction.  It looks like I was tricked into thinking it was tomorrow due to the hype.

MV/Liberace!

if they don't make the screen larger on the iphone, i'm declaring it dead.

slipstream

Apple lost in court!!!!!!!!!   Yahoo!!!

Judge rules Apple conspired to raise prices on e-books.