• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 05, 2019, 04:25:06 PM
Oh the canned chicken, our secret shame.  But, as done now, gravlax is just a salt cure and is delicious.  You have to go to Iceland to get the rotten stuff, and I think they use shark.  I've never tried it.

I believe the shark is dried process. Swedes do that fermented herring canned deal. (SAS desn't allow on flights due to potential danger.) Of course we got the whole 'dry cod with lye' and 'reconstitute' later deal tho....

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 05, 2019, 04:24:31 PM

Indeed it does.  He hasn't lost anything off his fastball either.   He definitely pinked you a bit with the buried fish blast.

It did sting a bit but I managed a weasely deflection -- I'm not proud.

Actually a little rot on the fish (usually called fermentation in polite society) is good.  Cf. Dutch matjes and various Swedish herring preparations.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 05, 2019, 04:29:48 PM

I believe the shark is dried process. Swedes do that fermented herring canned deal. (SAS desn't allow on flights due to potential danger.) Of course we got the whole 'dry cod with lye' and 'reconstitute' later deal tho....

Per German wikipedia it is buried and then hung to dispel the ammonia which kind of makes sense https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%25C3%25A1karl&prev=search

I accidentally made fiskekaker with some unlabeled salt cod fillets in the freezer (intended for lutefisk) last week -- that will teach me.  I wondered why the meat was so dry and the cakes didn't have that usual rubber-gasket texture.  Salty as hell but we ate them anyway haha.

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 05, 2019, 03:39:49 PM
Haha I have a whole theory about how lactose and gluten intolerance is a plot to undermine the genetic advantages that allowed western civilization to prosper -- you can see where this is going.  But it doesn't have that conspiratorial zing yet; I have to find someone to blame.
Who benefits financially the most when we demand that our food be processed further? The massive food processors. Also, I would assume that Monsanto (a perennial favourite whipping boy) may be working on gluten free grains...

ItsOver

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 05, 2019, 03:42:52 PM
Blame Big John - why do you think Con Agra stopped "officially" producing them? 

Look to the Fixin's K_Dubb.  Look to the Fixin's.
Man, those were good, alongside some Manwich concocted sandwiches.  You could exceed sugar recommendations for the week in one meal.

chefist

Where is Eddie Coyle?  Miss that guy...

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on May 05, 2019, 04:50:52 PM
Who benefits financially the most when we demand that our food be processed further? The massive food processors. Also, I would assume that Monsanto (a perennial favourite whipping boy) may be working on gluten free grains...

Haha thanks!  That is eminently reasonable, doubtless accurate, and not the least bit sexy.  Profit motive pah! how hopelessly banal.  It has to be an existential threat, not us doing it to ourselves.

I kind of want to blame the Jews -- maybe all the Jewish doctors are convincing people it's the milk that's making them fart -- except that I know a few and the poor creatures seem as susceptible as anyone else.  Check out all the recipes for gluten-free challah.  Also all the doctors here are Pakistani.

On that subject I will blame the poor Jews for co-opting the idea of braided sweet yeast bread, however inadvertently, to the point that every time I bring it to work some idiot asks who brought the challah whether it's Friday or not.  Every nation in Europe has their version of a braided sweet yeast bread (except the British and French, curiously, though the Brits love their sweet buns); it's just that here it's only the Jews that have preserved that bit of old Europe.  Points to them for that, but I get snappish explaining my bread is spiced, can't you taste the cardamom, when's the last time you saw a round challah, or one with currants?

Taaroa

Speaking of terrible British dishes, mushy peas are a blight on the world and do not go with fish and chips.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 05, 2019, 03:14:57 PM
I am guessing it is salt mixed with whatever makes chicken-in-a-biscuit crackers taste like chicken soup.  That would be really good; I always wondered what wizardry was responsible.
There's not really any standard recipe, but from a quick google search you get these two brands listing their ingredients:
-Mitani Chicken Salt contains sea salt blended with garlic, onion and natural herbs & spices and is suitable for vegetarians. It’s also gluten free and contains no added MSG.
-Masterfoods Chicken Salt: Salt 75%, Chicken Flavour 10%, Paprika, Onion, Food Acid (Citric), Garlic, Rice Flour, Pepper, Celery Seed.

https://mashable.com/2017/01/05/chicken-salt-history-australia/

Quote from: Taaroa on May 05, 2019, 08:52:15 PM
Speaking of terrible British dishes, mushy peas are a blight on the world and do not go with fish and chips.

Cripes.   Looks like that came out of babies diaper.   I very large, ill baby. 

K_Dubb

There's not really any standard recipe, but from a quick google search you get these two brands listing their ingredients:
-Mitani Chicken Salt contains sea salt blended with garlic, onion and natural herbs & spices and is suitable for vegetarians. It’s also gluten free and contains no added MSG.
-Masterfoods Chicken Salt: Salt 75%, Chicken Flavour 10%, Paprika, Onion, Food Acid (Citric), Garlic, Rice Flour, Pepper, Celery Seed.

Woohoo I ordered some!  Thanks for the tip.

See now I kind of like the mushy peas -- don't tell Shreddy.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 05, 2019, 09:12:09 PM
Woohoo I ordered some!  Thanks for the tip.

See now I kind of like the mushy peas -- don't tell Shreddy.

Did you get a side of Pampers to go with it?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 05, 2019, 09:19:46 PM
Did you get a side of Pampers to go with it?

Haha that stuff holds no horrors for me.  In old books you read about pease pudding (basically a bag of dried peas tied tight and thrown in the cookpot back when all people had was a fire), and of course pease porridge, of which this is doubtless the modern descendant.  A once-common dish we've abandoned.

retarded zoomer niggas be like GOTTA GO FAST

[attachment=1,msg1324627]

albrecht

There's not really any standard recipe, but from a quick google search you get these two brands listing their ingredients: :'(

Once again I'm shocked into defending the crown- world's biggest drug dealer withstanding. I like mushy peas. And various types of pies containing offal etc.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 05, 2019, 07:38:31 PM
Haha thanks!  That is eminently reasonable, doubtless accurate, and not the least bit sexy.  Profit motive pah! how hopelessly banal.  It has to be an existential threat, not us doing it to ourselves.

I kind of want to blame the Jews -- maybe all the Jewish doctors are convincing people it's the milk that's making them fart -- except that I know a few and the poor creatures seem as susceptible as anyone else.  Check out all the recipes for gluten-free challah.  Also all the doctors here are Pakistani.

On that subject I will blame the poor Jews for co-opting the idea of braided sweet yeast bread, however inadvertently, to the point that every time I bring it to work some idiot asks who brought the challah whether it's Friday or not.  Every nation in Europe has their version of a braided sweet yeast bread (except the British and French, curiously, though the Brits love their sweet buns); it's just that here it's only the Jews that have preserved that bit of old Europe.  Points to them for that, but I get snappish explaining my bread is spiced, can't you taste the cardamom, when's the last time you saw a round challah, or one with currants?

I like when the those Joose fight between various kosher branding, sometimes (cue REAL deep here) the Musim 'approved' also labels\hidden-tax.....

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 05, 2019, 10:29:17 PM
tbh that's pretty much me when i go for a drive. *beep beep*

I drive like an Asian woman too fam, it's fuckin LIT tho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXNHlWMBco

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on May 05, 2019, 11:07:33 PM
I drive like an Asian woman too fam, it's fuckin LIT tho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXNHlWMBco

Hey, does she know that the steering wheel is on the wrong side?! ???

Asuka Langley

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 05, 2019, 11:09:57 PM
Hey, does she know that the steering wheel is on the wrong side?! ???

It makes cars drive sideways better

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on May 05, 2019, 11:13:12 PM
It makes cars drive sideways better

Cool! They should start a sideways driving car company. ;D

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 05, 2019, 10:34:46 PM

Once again I'm shocked into defending the crown- world's biggest drug dealer withstanding. I like mushy peas. And various types of pies containing offal etc.

It's really just ertesuppe enriched with cream and sometimes some mint -- nothing wrong with that.  I think the most entertaining part of this whole episode is that we learned Walks is a giant baby whose bowels turn to water at the sight of some decomposed legumes.  He must have huddled indoors all day today lest some festive frijoles pass by on the street.

I have been sneaking some cream into the pea soup the past couple years on Christmas Eve and everyone wonders why it is so good.

BellHop

Here's my dumb thought: looking Heather up in the phone book and calling her, just to see what would happen.

Kidnostad3

Nothing compares to New England-style, baked-in-a-crock, beans with salt pork.   Of course, from soaking the beans to ready to eat takes the better part of 24 hours.  This being the case, Bush's Original Recipe is a fair substitute.

I have had both Marmite and Vegemite and can't decide which is worse.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 05, 2019, 11:22:38 PM

I have been sneaking some cream into the pea soup.

Caligula used to do that too.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on May 05, 2019, 10:34:46 PM

Mushy peas on meat pies sans offal is good eating.  Offal is awful (ever have steak and kidney pie?)

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 10:19:12 AM
Caligula used to do that too.

Some would say that Calígula was self indulgent to a fault but I think he was a motherfucker.