• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

TigerLily

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 20, 2017, 10:28:26 PM
Night of the Hunter on TCM. Bob at his bowel loosening menacing best!

This movie is like a very grim Grimm fairy tale. Beautiful and chilling with Hansel and Gretel on the run from the evil ogre.  Robert Mitchum is menacing even when he plays a good guy. Very scary in this.
And Lillian Gish is beautiful Tough Love as Rachel Cooper: You know, when you're little, you have more endurance than God is ever to grant you again. Children are man at his strongest. They abide.

Outstanding, unique, beautifully photographed.  TigerLily recommended

Lilith

I'm watching "Ripper Street" on Netflix.  It's FANTASTIC!!!!

starrmtn001

Quote from: TigerLily on March 20, 2017, 11:10:36 PM
This movie is like a very grim Grimm fairy tale. Beautiful and chilling with Hansel and Gretel on the run from the evil ogre.  Robert Mitchum is menacing even when he plays a good guy. Very scary in this.
And Lillian Gish is beautiful Tough Love as Rachel Cooper: You know, when you're little, you have more endurance than God is ever to grant you again. Children are man at his strongest. They abide.

If you recommend it, then it's guaranteed to be good! ;)   

ItsOver

CometTV will be showing the cult classics "Night of the Comet" and "From Beyond."  A musheeen gun pack'n, zombie fight'n cheerleader and Barbara Crampton.  Ooh-la-la!  It's just a matter of time before they begin the Phantasm series.  They must, they must....

Quote from: TigerLily on March 20, 2017, 11:10:36 PM

Grimm Fairy tale indeed!  Very apt description. Charles Laughton directed it too.  Damn shame he only directed this film.  I love it when Mitchum plays the villain.  Here he is scary and superb.  If you like his turn in this, then you might like Cape Fear and 5 Card Stud.  Though I'm sure you've seen Cape Fear, TL.  Peter Graves also makes an appearance as Mitchum's cellmate playing the father of the children.

Watched Patriot's Day and Lights Out.  The shaky cam plagues Patriot's Day but it was a fairly decent film about the Boston bombing.  Marky Mark delivers a serviceable performance. Not great but good.  3.5 stars.

Lights Out was a gripping horror film that kept me in suspense throughout.  It also doesn't overstay its welcome clocking in at only about 75 minutes.  Produced by James Wan, it definitely seems to bear his signature.  I enjoyed all of the actor's performances but I didn't buy Teresa Palmer as a person who would put up sexy evil pictures of witches and Baphomet throughout her apartment.  That didn't ring true.  She just didn't have that Goth vibe going on.  That's the only criticism that I have of the film. A superior horror film. 4 stars.

Zetaspeak

I liked Lights Out as well, it seemed to have a low budget (about 5 Mil) with a no-name crew, but I thought it was a good horror flick. We been lucky the last couple of years with some solid horror concepts.

(I accidentally wrote this on the *won't* be watching ) Watched Trainspotting 2 which is a sequel 20 years after the original. I enjoyed it a lot, it was a nice add-on to the original.

trostol

if you have netflix..you owe it to yourself to log onto it now and look for Netflix Live

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on March 31, 2017, 08:23:09 PM
if you have netflix..you owe it to yourself to log onto it now and look for Netflix Live

why?  ???

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on March 31, 2017, 08:37:44 PM
it can not be described...it has to be witnessed

I'm SOL then as I'm not a member.  :(

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 31, 2017, 08:39:59 PM
I'm SOL then as I'm not a member.  :(

from what i have gathered..its an April Fools joke...but this..is Will Arnett commentating on various things..mundane things...like..a photo copier...a toaster...someone parallel parking lol

JesusJuice

This is one of the greatest film trailers ever made. They've showed this twice now on TCM Underground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz9YqMrTBCo

zeebo

Can't believe I never watched Army of Darkness (1992) before the other nite.  Some great Sam Raimi horror fun with cult movie hero Bruce Campbell. 

zeebo

Quote from: brig on April 11, 2017, 11:28:42 AM
Halt and Catch Fire S1:E1  on Netflix.

That show started out with such promise.  Being an early computer nerd I love that era.  But then it just got, um, well I'll let you see where it goes.  If you haven't already, you may want to check out Mr. Robot, and compare and contrast - they're both weird shows. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on April 11, 2017, 11:28:42 AM
Halt and Catch Fire S1:E1  on Netflix.

I must admit it's been a guilty pleasure of mine for the past few years. I never mentioned it here because it's just such a soap opera...but a really cool soap opera about a fictionalized account of the start of the computer industry.  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on April 11, 2017, 01:04:03 PM
That show started out with such promise.  Being an early computer nerd I love that era.  But then it just got, um, well I'll let you see where it goes.  If you haven't already, you may want to check out Mr. Robot, and compare and contrast - they're both weird shows.

Love Mr. Robot!

ItsOver

Watched "The Crow" last Friday.  Really enjoy the dark atmosphere and pace of the movie.  Brandon Lee is fantastic.  So tragic he passed due to a terrible accident during filming.  CometTV is showing it thru the month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIKk4uYjrSY&app=desktop

Lilith

Sounds like a plan!

Rix Gins

I watched "The Road To Singapore" (1940) starring Hope and Crosby, on a dvd.  (Actually I should have wrote Crosby and Hope because Bing had top billing over Bob on the opening credits.)  Really nice movie if you are in a mood for some escapism, or a lot, in the case of this movie. 

This was the very first 'Road To' movie.  I loved the rich, sharp, black and white tones on this film.  The dvd was nice and clear, no film scratches or anything on it. 

I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful Dorothy Lamour was.  I hadn't really given her much thought in regards to beauty, but I got to say, she looked great in this picture.  There is also a young, virile Anthony Quinn who does a good job playing a rather secondary roll. Hope and Crosby Crosby and Hope play their parts in a professional, polished manner and their dialogue and ad-lib delivery is flawless.

The dancing and singing is fun to watch.  The songs were good enough to keep me from pressing the fast forward button, and that is saying a lot.  Speaking of songs, you would think that Bing Crosby was one of the smoothest singers around at that time, and yet I heard him fumble on the song 'Sweet Potato Piper.'  Guess it wasn't an important enough flub to call for a re-take.  There is the same recording below, and you can hear the quick trip-up at the 1:04 mark.  All in all, a fun little movie.

https://youtu.be/WhA0a-2lGug

Lilith

I'm almost through season 1 of "Mr. Robot". I love it.  It's right up there with "Person Of Interest"

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on April 11, 2017, 01:00:46 PM
Can't believe I never watched Army of Darkness (1992) before the other nite.  Some great Sam Raimi horror fun with cult movie hero Bruce Campbell.

Absolutely! I love that movie! Have you watched the tv series?

zeebo

Quote from: brig on April 13, 2017, 05:34:50 PM
I'm almost through season 1 of "Mr. Robot". I love it.  It's right up there with "Person Of Interest"

Cool, glad you're enjoying it.  If nothing else, it's a pretty original show, and alot of the hacking tech seems pretty close to real techniques out there.  There is a twist that happens later that I don't like - but these days since I'm watching Game of Thrones I'm learning to get over that kind of thing.   ;)

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on April 13, 2017, 05:45:10 PM
Absolutely! I love that movie! Have you watched the tv series?

The scene with the spatula had me cry-laughing.  I didn't know about the show, I'll check it out if/when available on netflix to better accomodate my binge-style.  :)

Lt.Uhura

Recently watched one of my all-time favorites again, Dr. Zhivago, which I felt was a decent effort to bring Pasternak's epic story to film.

I thought the casting was superb, with the exception of Julie Christie as Lara, who I thought was flat in comparison to Omar Sharif's delightfully OTT Zhivago. Geraldine Chaplin was also excellent as Tonya. But my favorite performance was by Rod Steiger, who was throughly convincing as the cruel Victor.

At the time (1965) critics complained the film was too long at nearly 3 1/2 hours, but considering the epic story takes place during a massive political and cultural upheaval (the Russian Revolution), it could not have easily been condensed into a tidy 2 hours. I found the movie's pacing just right, and at the time theaters provided an intermission halfway though.

Trivia: Dr. Zhivago is the 8th highest grossing film of all time in the US and Canada. Despite being revered by his countrymen and nominated for a Nobel prize, writer and poet Boris Pasternak's dramatic love story (published in 1957 in Italy) upon which the film was based, was not appreciated by the Soviet government. The film wasn't shown in Russia until 30 years after its release.

http://www.biography.com/news/doctor-zhivago-facts-50-anniversary

Zetaspeak

Thank you AMC for showing Airplane Saturday  morning. Perfect timing with the United news  ;D