HumanBeing

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 06:05:28 PM
Habs fan?

Yes. Are you?  ;D
I was indoctrinated at a young age  :P

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on April 28, 2018, 06:07:42 PM
Who's your team?  :D

Sigh...I don't really have one. I used to like hockey as a kid and then I played in a league for years and that cured me of that. I suppose I'm partial to the original teams though.

ShayP

It's just a post on a silly forum boys.   It's not like it is being carved on a tombstone or anything.

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 06:27:01 PM
Sigh...I don't really have one. I used to like hockey as a kid and then I played in a league for years and that cured me of that. I suppose I'm partial to the original teams though.

Understood.  I was in a basketball league for a few years and then, nope...I was done with it.  Being partial to the original teams is cool because of the foundation.  Same with baseball for me.  I love the tradition from the start.  It's respect for the game.   8)

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 28, 2018, 06:10:21 PM
Whose

You just want me to cross that damn river.  Okay, I will.  Let's have a nice breakfast.  My treat.   :D

ShayP

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on April 28, 2018, 06:44:44 PM
It's just a post on a silly forum boys.   It's not like it is being carved on a tombstone or anything.

Well done sir.  Well done.   ;D

HumanBeing

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 06:27:01 PM

Original 6 teams hey? You're just showing your age now  :P
Next thing you'll say is Gordie Howe was your favorite payer to watch.

Boston is the only original team left in the playoffs currently. They are strong contenders.

I'm hoping the Winnipeg Jets and Pittsburgh Penguins make it to the finals. Winnipeg because I like how they play and they have some good young talent and Pittsburgh because it would be cool to see them have a chance at three-peating. But I'd rather the Jets winning. That city would go nuts. 

I'm not sure I'd be following hockey as intensely these days if I didn't have a favorite team. Participating in a few hockey pools helps as well.

ShayP

Quote from: HumanBeing on April 28, 2018, 06:52:19 PM

Boston is the only original team left in the playoffs currently. They are strong contenders.

I'm hoping the Winnipeg Jets and Pittsburgh Penguins make it to the finals. Winnipeg because I like how they play and they have some good young talent and Pittsburgh because it would be cool to see them have a chance at three-peating. But I'd rather the Jets winning. That city would go nuts. 

I'm not sure I'd be following hockey as intensely these days if I didn't have a favorite teams. Participating in a few hockey pools helps as well.

Pittsburgh three-peat!! Wooooo!!!! It's gonna happen.   ;)  Actually the Winnepeg Jets would be nice.  Although I kinda want us to face 'The Flower' and Vegas.

I used to be a fan of Winnipeg.  Obviously I'm a Pens fan by design, but I used to like their team back in the day as well.  Also a few others like Vancouver, Chicago, Quebec, and Atlanta Calgary. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: HumanBeing on April 28, 2018, 06:52:19 PM

I'm not sure I'd be following hockey as intensely these days if I didn't have a favorite team. Participating in a few hockey pools helps as well.

No, I was more a Bobby Orr guy. Gretsky was pretty good too though. ;)

HumanBeing

Quote from: ShayP on April 28, 2018, 06:56:26 PM
Pittsburgh three-peat!! Wooooo!!!! It's gonna happen.   ;)  Actually the Winnepeg Jets would be nice.  Although I kinda want us to face 'The Flower' and Vegas.

I used to be a fan of Winnipeg.  Obviously I'm a Pens fan by design, but I used to like their team back in the day as well.  Also a few others like Vancouver, Chicago, Quebec, and Atlanta Calgary.

That's easy to say when you have Crosby on your team.  Throw in Malkin and it is almost unfair  :-[

The way Vegas is playing and how their story has unfolded this year they seriously could win the Stanley Cup. I mean how wild would that be for a 1st year expansion team haha That would be something.
Fleury is a total gamer too. he is loving the playoffs. 3 shutouts already in 5 playoff games  :D

This story about Crosby earlier in the season was pretty awesome. Shows the type of down the earth guy he is. A down to earth guy who is the best hockey player in the world  ;D
This was a radio clip of the incident.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/ouimet-sid-was-just-like-a-kid-out-there-1.985384

HumanBeing

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 07:15:12 PM
No, I was more a Bobby Orr guy. Gretsky was pretty good too though. ;)

Ok now I'll show my age. I missed out on the Orr years. Mid 80's was when I started watching. So I was fortunate to see Gretzky play.
As great as Gretzky was I was more of a Mario Lemieux fan. It just seemed like Mario had the ability to take over the game at his whim. Not saying Gretzky could not but it was just my lasting impression of Lemieux.

The run the Habs made in the 93-94 playoffs and doing that by winning a lot of overtime games and then facing off against the LA. Kings and Gretzky was sublime  :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: HumanBeing on April 28, 2018, 07:22:42 PM
Ok now I'll show my age. I missed out on the Orr years. Mid 80's was when I started watching. So I was fortunate to see Gretzky play.
As great as Gretzky was I was more of a Mario Lemieux fan. It just seemed like Mario had the ability to take over the game at his whim. Not saying Gretzky could not but it was just my lasting impression of Lemieux.

The run the Habs made in the 93-94 playoffs and doing that by winning a lot of overtime games and then facing off against the LA. Kings and Gretzky was sublime  :D

Agree. He made hockey great again! There really hasn't been another like him since has there? I haven't really followed it in years, probably since around the time he retired actually.

HumanBeing

Waiting for the 2nd intermission of the Vegas/Sharks game has me like...

Odds to get #1 draft pick.
Buffalo: 39.2%
Montreal: 32.3%
Carolina: 28.5%

ShayP

Quote from: HumanBeing on April 28, 2018, 07:15:56 PM
This was a radio clip of the incident.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/ouimet-sid-was-just-like-a-kid-out-there-1.985384

Thank you for this.   8)   I've been critical of Sid over the years because at times he seems like a bitch.  LOL!  However he is the best and does a lot of good things in the community.  I think he's a 'real guy' who doesn't take his stardom too seriously.  I still like Malkin over him.  Geno is a nut and a great player as well.  Yes, Pens fans are lucky, but lean years will come soon.  I've been a fan all my life so I know what the lean years are.  I don't think we'll have the opportunity to get a Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, etc., in the next 10 years.

ShayP

Quote from: HumanBeing on April 28, 2018, 07:22:42 PM

Oh yes!  Lemieux came in when the rules started to change and the game wasn't as wide open.  Gretzky is 'the great one' but I can't help but wonder what would happen if the both started at the same time.  Plus imagine if Mario didn't have the back injuries or cancer.  I'll take Mario in this scenario.  ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on April 28, 2018, 07:41:25 PM
Oh yes!  Lemieux came in when the rules started to change and the game wasn't as wide open.  Gretzky is 'the great one' but I can't help but think what would happen if the both started in the same time.  Plus imagine if Mario din't have the back injuries or cancer.  I'll take Mario in this scenario.  ;)

He was good but you're right, Shay. He came in toward the end of one era and the beginning of another that I didn't enjoy as much. I call it the era of the enforcers. I know it's always been a rough sport but I feel like a lot of the grace and artistry of the game at it's core was lost then. It's actually quite challenging to be able to skate and stick handle while warding off people trying to take you down along the way. Guys like Gretsky made in look like it was no big deal.

HumanBeing

Quote from: ShayP on April 28, 2018, 07:37:49 PM
Thank you for this.   8)   I've been critical of Sid over the years because at times he seems like a bitch.  LOL!  However he is the best and does a lot of good things in the community.  I think he's a 'real guy' who doesn't take his stardom too seriously.  I still like Malkin over him.  Geno is a nut and a great player as well.  Yes, Pens fans are lucky, but lean years will come soon.  I've been a fan all my life so I know what the lean years are.  I don't think we'll have the opportunity to get a Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, etc., in the next 10 years.

*grumbles* Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin. From the 1980's to present day the Penguins haven't been without a generational type talented player. Let alone Hall of Famers Paul Coffey and Larry Murphy patrolling the blue line. Kevin Stevens, Joe Mullen had a few nice years.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 07:48:49 PM
He was good but you're right, Shay. He came in toward the end of one era and the beginning of another that I didn't enjoy as much. I call it the era of the enforcers. I know it's always been a rough sport but I feel like a lot of the grace and artistry of the game at it's core was lost then. It's actually quite challenging to be able to skate and stick handle while warding off people trying to take you down along the way. Guys like Gretsky made in look like it was no big deal.

Hockey is fairly wide open and very fast paced these days. Emphasis is on speed and explosiveness. If you haven't been watching much of it you may want to check it out, it may tickle your fancy.
They also don't allow the hooking, holding, grabbing, slashing and stuff like they used to. So the creative talented players really shine bright these days in the NHL. The way of the goons and enforcers are all but gone. If a player doesn't have skill he ain't playing.

albrecht

Quote from: HumanBeing on April 28, 2018, 08:03:29 PM
Hockey is fairly wide open and very fast paced these days. Emphasis is on speed and explosiveness. If you haven't been watching much of it you may want to check it out, it may tickle your fancy.
They also don't allow the hooking, holding, grabbing, slashing and stuff like they used to. So the creative talented players really shine bright these days in the NHL. The way of the goons and enforcers are all but gone. If a player doesn't have skill he ain't playing.
A shame. Some guys can still hit, at least, Ovechkin etc for one with shooting skills but still not afraid to lay a good check. Folks forget Gretsky, as great as he was no doubt, had "enforcers" protecting him all the time (McSorley, Semenko mainly.) I know management and casual viewers want high scores and everyone concerned about concussions etc. But I also like defense and some more rough stuff to keep the players play heads-up and honest-but with replays and HD video I guess 'big brother' will take care of any cheap shots etc.

HumanBeing

Obviously the Habs did not get 1st overall pick. That one stung a bit.

The excitement and anticipation of the last couple hours might have been the most the Habs fans have felt the entire season  ;D
But in the end the Habs did move up one pick in the draft to 3rd.
The draft is deep this year but there is somewhat a consensus that the first 3 picks have the highest probability of immediate impact.

Now I await the draft hoping that Bergevin and his scouting staff do not fuk this up.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on April 28, 2018, 08:22:42 PM
A shame. Some guys can still hit, at least, Ovechkin etc for one with shooting skills but still not afraid to lay a good check. Folks forget Gretsky, as great as he was no doubt, had "enforcers" protecting him all the time (McSorley, Semenko mainly.) I know management and casual viewers want high scores and everyone concerned about concussions etc. But I also like defense and some more rough stuff to keep the players play heads-up and honest-but with replays and HD video I guess 'big brother' will take care of any cheap shots etc.

Defensive play is one thing. I'm talking about players whose job it was to attack the better offensive players on the opposite team.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 28, 2018, 08:32:17 PM
Defensive play is one thing. I'm talking about players whose job it was to attack the better offensive players on the opposite team.
I'm against blatant, dangerous attacks etc but hockey is/was relatively self-policing. You know if you made a cheap-shot or something they would be coming after you. Referree and linesman can't be everywhere (now they are more with more of them and instant replays on everything.) Fights are/were a way to take out frustration and settle 'disputes' in a safer manner than, for example, using your stick as a weapon, boarding someone, knee on knee etc. I think the slashing is a bit too much called these days. The new icing rules, I understand, but means some less hustle. I think two-line pass should be illegal again. And also that goalies out of the crease should be 'fair game' like any other player for a check.

ksm32

Hate the Caps. Love de Pens. Not today, but soon, very soon the Penguins will take this series. Again! Contrary to Albrecht's wishes..

In Jesus name, amen.

albrecht

Knights. I gotta admit. They play fast and the Vegas pre-game shit they show. Nuts. Friend commented over an earlier game watching to his wife: "hon, why did we pay to see that show when we coulda also seen a hockey game?"

Let's Go Caps!!!

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on April 30, 2018, 11:25:18 PM
Let's Go Caps!!!

I don't know if you're a Texan born and raised, but if the Stars were hot this year would you be rooting for them? And why the caps??

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on April 30, 2018, 11:46:58 PM
I don't know if you're a Texan born and raised, but if the Stars were hot this year would you be rooting for them? And why the caps??
Russian hackers, obviously.  ;)

That hotdog schwartze blew the game for Nashville tonight! Dumb penalty!