• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

chefist

Quote from: Sumthins Goin On on May 22, 2018, 11:10:52 AM
Meh.. Not really. I stayed to the end of her shtick, and, not so much.

Thanks...then I think I read there was another guest? I thought it was just her all night.

I hope he gets those phones up and running...or at least Skype for the time being.

Dyna-X

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 22, 2018, 11:04:53 AM
Here are the relevant portions passed through google translate.  It begins by discussing Leppich's balloon which I should have remembered since Tolstoy talks about it in War and Peace.
Another source I found after that claims Mantsev did experimental aerostat launches in 1855, one year before the end of the war, but reiterated that they were not military in nature. At this point, so many diplomatic and strategic errors had been made, I doubt the tide could have been turned even if he had been given the go ahead for his projects.

a is jump

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 22, 2018, 11:04:53 AM
Here are the relevant portions passed through google translate.  It begins by discussing Leppich's balloon which I should have remembered since Tolstoy talks about it in War and Peace.

[attachment=1]

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 22, 2018, 11:18:03 AM
Another source I found after that claims Mantsev did experimental aerostat launches in 1855, one year before the end of the war, but reiterated that they were not military in nature. At this point, so many diplomatic and strategic errors had been made, I doubt the tide could have been turned even if he had been given the go ahead for his projects.

Oh thank you!  Here's more (blessedly in English) that explains Mantsev's Crimean War plans:

QuoteThe airship’s chance came again in 1854 when British warships blockaded the ​​imperial capital St. Petersburg from the sea, preventing the weak Russian fleet from breaking out.

Army Lieutenant Ivan Mantsev proposed a simple and bold counter-measure, entailing the construction of several dozen airships which the wind would carry out to sea, allowing the crews to drop incendiary bombs on the wooden British ships. But time was against the plan and it was dropped.

http://www.blimpinfo.com/airships/taking-war-into-the-skies/

Bottom line is, while balloons weren't used in the Crimea like the guest suggested, the idea would certainly have been floating around for him to use to explain space travel.

I could be wrong  ;D

MaxPower

Quote from: Bart Ell on May 22, 2018, 11:03:38 AM
It really isn't.
All I have done is Google what I want it to do, install the plugin I find and profit.
You guys have it easy these days. Coming from the older days of html hand coding with primitive word processors/editors, what took hours in the past takes minutes today. One word of advice for anyone creating websites, always check your sites using all of the major browsers and using both mobile devices and desktop/laptop computers.

K_Dubb

Quote from: a is jump on May 22, 2018, 11:23:09 AM
[attachment=1,msg1227995]

Rosegirl and I obviously have some kind of psychic-resonance thing going on.  Call me, honey  ;)

trostol

Quote from: Jinger Rat Snapps on May 22, 2018, 12:19:12 AM
The Pope even said that there was no Hell, if you believe in Christ you go to heaven, if you don't then you just disappear into nothingness.

so...kinda like Thanos snapping his fingers..nifty

Bart Ell

Quote from: MaxPower on May 22, 2018, 11:42:40 AM
You guys have it easy these days.

Not Carl.
Carl says WordPress doesn't do what he wants it to do.

Bart Ell

Coming from the older days of html hand coding with primitive word processors/editors, what took hours in the past takes minutes today.

The footer of my site proudly displays that I created my site with Notepad.
It's the right way.

littlechris

You guys have it easy these days. Coming from the older days of html hand coding with primitive word processors/editors, what took hours in the past takes minutes today. One word of advice for anyone creating websites, always check your sites using all of the major browsers and using both mobile devices and desktop/laptop computers.

I’d prefer to hand code any day over these WYSIWYG’s like Wordpress which give you less control. Of course there are pluses and minuses but raw code all the way!!!!

MaxPower

Quote from: Bart Ell on May 22, 2018, 12:02:31 PM
The footer of my site proudly displays that I created my site with Notepad.
It's the right way.

Ah, the Notepad Legacy from the 1980's :) It's still useful after all these years. Actually I still use Notepad as the go to for a quick and easy text file editor.

Sean92008

Quote from: littlechris on May 22, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
I’d prefer to hand code any day over these WYSIWYG’s like Wordpress which give you less control. Of course there are pluses and minuses but raw code all the way!!!!
It's all the extraneous (unnecessary) code that pisses me off.  Especially so when I am unable to get LTE speeds or am using a weak Wi-Fi signal.

ItsOver

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 22, 2018, 09:59:26 AM
Funny thing that, the recent activity is mostly anti-Heather and strongly anti-Art.

I still wonder how long it'll be before Dave gets the bum's rush here.
BellGab is watching.

Quote from: Bart Ell on May 22, 2018, 11:00:09 AM
I had not listened to one woo woo style show since Art left MITD.
I had no idea who Dave was.
I have listened to every MITD with Dave and also have been listening to his other shows.
Dave finally made the genre listenable again.
#Schradacy

#SCHRADACY

ItsOver

It was always fun trying to find errors in these things.

Robert

If Ms. Wade's the one who booked the guests Mr. Schrader's been interviewing, then:

EMPLOY MS. WADE AS BOOKER!  These have been vy interesting shows to me.  Ms. Wade's found her proper calling, & Mr. Schrader is a superior interviewer.  These shows have been more interesting than almost any of those I used to hear him m.c. on C2C.

See, everybody's happy.  Mr. Schrader's doing great interviews, Ms. Wade's booking good guests.  Now we just need to get Mr. Noory off C2C & have him record vocals for MITD bumper music.

MaxPower

Quote from: littlechris on May 22, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
Hand coding is definitely preferable where efficiency and control is desired. The WYSIWYGs have their place for those who would otherwise not be able to create a website (or who would not want to spend the time to learn coding). Regarding efficiency, I have found that sometimes the WYSIWYG created website code can be edited down by hand to 10%-20% of the code to get the same design and functionality.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Robert on May 22, 2018, 01:01:41 PM
If Ms. Wade's the one who booked the guests Mr. Schrader's been interviewing, then:

EMPLOY MS. WADE AS BOOKER!  These have been vy interesting shows to me.  Ms. Wade's found her proper calling, & Mr. Schrader is a superior interviewer.  These shows have been more interesting than almost any of those I used to hear him m.c. on C2C.

See, everybody's happy.  Mr. Schrader's doing great interviews, Ms. Wade's booking good guests.  Now we just need to get Mr. Noory off C2C & have him record vocals for MITD bumper music.

She wasn't booking the guests. She had a producer.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 22, 2018, 01:12:44 PM
She wasn't booking the guests. She had a producer.
Yes and I believe it is Heater's former producer Michelle.

Bluejay

Quote from: Robert on May 22, 2018, 01:01:41 PM

Do you really think that’s a good idea to demote the “talent” to a different role, especially when they are carrying a grudge?

Bluejay

It is so refreshing to actually look forward to hearing MITD each night.  Thanks Dave (and Keith), for breathing new life into the show.

DynamoHum

What a waste of oxygen she is.

DynamoHum

At least get my name right you ridiculous sociopathic life reject.

MaxPower

Quote from: ItsOver on May 22, 2018, 12:59:08 PM
It was always fun trying to find errors in these things.

Punchcards! Now that is a blast from the past :) Also remember the paper tape days with the old Teletype terminals.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: DynamoHum on May 22, 2018, 01:36:17 PM
At least get my name right you ridiculous sociopathic life reject.
hahahahahahahahaha. So she is reading bellgab eh? I'm not surprised. She should be firing the crowd up for the big return.  ;D Nice work!
OMG the you want a list of what all of you have done to Heather comment is hilarious. Apparently someone over there is keeping a naughty list of everyone who said mean things about Heater. If it's so boring why does she bother to answer? ::)

69CheckMate

Quote from: PaulK on May 21, 2018, 11:46:03 PM
Just tell you this for now.
Art's suicide the note he left and Heather are connected.
[attachment=1]