• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

I wonder what percentage of you folks still listen to the old Art shows?

Quote from: PaulAtreides on November 03, 2017, 02:20:36 PM
Pity he didn't mention Art and the quitenings.

Now that you mention it, the 'quitenings' seem to be part of the 'quickening'.  The last few were really quick.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 03, 2017, 02:31:27 PM
Hannity had Malachi Martin on his radio show when he was still alive. He should delve into other subjects besides politics.  He's like a broken record when it comes to politics.

True, but for a lot of talking heads on daytime AM radio... Politics = ratings = $$$.

Quote from: creepygreenlight on November 03, 2017, 05:20:54 PM

Now that you mention it, the 'quitenings' seem to be part of the 'quickening'.  The last few were really quick.

True, but for a lot of talking heads on daytime AM radio... Politics = ratings = $$$.

Sometimes I'll listen to a Malachi Martin show and a few of his others but for the most part, the past is the past. I've moved on.

damon

Quote from: creepygreenlight on November 03, 2017, 05:20:54 PM

I have not really listened to most of art's old shows because many of them are really dated. I will agree with many of you that they are better then Mr Snoory's shows but I will have to say that is really is now a has been and a quitter too. I just hopes that he just stays retired and enjoy life.

Swishypants

Quote from: damon on November 03, 2017, 05:36:12 PM
I have not really listened to most of art's old shows because many of them are really dated. I will agree with many of you that they are better then Mr Snoory's shows but I will have to say that is really is now a has been and a quitter too. I just hopes that he just stays retired and enjoy life.

They are not dated! They talk about the same shit the new ones do, just in a more intelligent fashion. And there is an endless supply of them. I still go to sleep with a thunderstorm loop in the deep background and an old Art Bell show on low volume.

I also agree they aren't dated because they are deep shit.  A lot of the topics are still relevant (JFK, for instance, which only now the docs are being released).  The shows are deep and rarely do I not notice something new.  That's the crazy thing about Art is that his style reads like a audiobook, it's packed with "useful" substance unlike noory.

Do you all think that Art still lurks here?

Swishypants

Art is a lurker. He's around.  8)

Quote from: Swishypants on November 03, 2017, 05:38:37 PM
They are not dated! They talk about the same shit the new ones do, just in a more intelligent fashion...

Correct, the whole genre is dated

Gd5150

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 03, 2017, 06:35:10 PM

Good hosts could find new mysterious subjects of interest. Look at Knapp, he’s got the mafia thing, and Paulides’ Missing 411. If Art had been around the last 10 years who knows how many Mel’s holes or lawnchair pilot type stories there would be.

There’s more out there but it requires a top professional host with a passion for the mysterious, the freedom to handle things as they come, like live open lines from a world wide audience. And they must truly understand what made Art Bell great. Like not hosting the damn show from a high rise in downtown LA. That is literally the anti-Art.

Most podcasts are complete amateur night bringing nothing new to the table. They’re just someone who decided to have a podcast and they have nothing to offer but the same ol same ol.

Swishypants

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 03, 2017, 06:35:10 PM

It takes imagination to create something new, and people are so shitty and irritated now, they don't have time to do it. Imagination IS Intelligence!

Swishypants

Quote from: Gd5150 on November 03, 2017, 06:54:27 PM

Most podcasts are complete amateur night bringing nothing new to the table. They’re just someone who decided to have a podcast and they have nothing to offer but the same ol same ol.

Lets make up some wicked interesting shit and do the full back story to such a degree that most people would never dare think someone would be idiotic enough to spend that much time, effort, and brainpower fabricating it. They will believe it, and we will have tons of fun.

Lets convince the world that HE-MAN is real!

Quote from: Swishypants on November 03, 2017, 05:56:44 PM
Art is a lurker. He's around.  8)

I think so too... late at night. when the kids are asleep.. on the iphone.. lurking around bellgab............ as NOOOOOORY still snores through the night.
We lose.

ACE of CLUBS

Paranormal is old .....
Too much of it available now .... it's just not exciting anymore.
You could tell that Art thought so too. You could hear it in his voice.
Art was the best in his time, but .... Art's time has come and gone.

Juan

I wish Art and Jim Marrs were around to analyze the new Kennedy documents.  That would be a hoot.

Nobody Wants To Buy the Original Flying Car

"The most recent auction listing is Moller's second attempt at selling off this asset on Ebay. The first attempt required a very optimistic starting bid of $1 million. The 'Buy it Now' option was also available for a cool $5 million. At the time of this writing, there are currently zero bids at the much lower initial offering of $250,000."

lulz. The internet ruins another frequent c2c guest

Swishypants

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on November 04, 2017, 01:19:46 PM
Nobody Wants To Buy the Original Flying Car

"The most recent auction listing is Moller's second attempt at selling off this asset on Ebay. The first attempt required a very optimistic starting bid of $1 million. The 'Buy it Now' option was also available for a cool $5 million. At the time of this writing, there are currently zero bids at the much lower initial offering of $250,000."

lulz. The internet ruins another frequent c2c guest

I remember seeing it on the short-lived BEYOND 2000 TV show in the late 80's. It really shows you how bad the economy really is that he can't sell it. Either that or the death of imagination is total.

PaulAtreides

Quote from: Juan on November 04, 2017, 08:56:19 AM
I wish Art and Jim Marrs were around to analyze the new Kennedy documents.  That would be a hoot.

Sorry to say Marrs is dead and Art might as well be.

cweb

For those who remember the classic show with John "Crunchman" (aka Captain Crunch) Draper....

He's releasing a book on his life story.
https://thenewstack.io/silicon-valley-legend-captain-crunch-publishes-life-story/

It's been plugged by Woz and Kevin Mitnick so far.

As you know, releasing a book is a perfect excuse for a new interview. Maybe Knapp will find him? Or (less likely) Howard Hughes?

albrecht

Quote from: cweb on November 05, 2017, 07:12:46 PM
For those who remember the classic show with John "Crunchman" (aka Captain Crunch) Draper....

He's releasing a book on his life story.
https://thenewstack.io/silicon-valley-legend-captain-crunch-publishes-life-story/

It's been plugged by Woz and Kevin Mitnick so far.

As you know, releasing a book is a perfect excuse for a new interview. Maybe Knapp will find him? Or (less likely) Howard Hughes?
Thanks for the update! I hope the Capt's back is better. Will be an interesting book, I'm sure. Would be a great interview for Art to reprise or someone good. A very interesting character.

Lunger

Quote from: PaulAtreides on November 04, 2017, 02:54:00 PM
Sorry to say Marrs is dead and Art might as well be.

Let's remember Art for the innovations he gave us.  Art was responsible for the international 800# to be developed.  Art ( I believe ) was the first to stream video from his radio show and Art, I believe, was the first to use the internet to stream in conjunction with broadcasting radio.

How many movie and television show plots have been taking by Hollywood writers directly from Open Lines?

Let us not morn Art.  Instead let us celebrate Art for what he has given us.

Jackstar

Quote from: Lunger on November 05, 2017, 08:53:18 PM
Instead let us celebrate Art for what he has given us.

He promised an interview with Paul Moeller, and instead gave us Charles Faddis. Never forget.

Nobody

Quote from: Lunger on November 05, 2017, 08:53:18 PM
Let's remember Art for the innovations he gave us. 

You can't get much more innovative than Heather Wade, certainly.

brugvu

DID ANYONE BUY BALDERDASHES TAPES?

i haven't been around since January

always a day late.
NEVER a $1 short though.

Balderdash contact me. i messaged you.
brugvu

Quote from: Swishypants on November 06, 2017, 04:22:35 AM
... I don't know why Art refuses to throw us a bone on some random podcast as a guest-host. The Sniper won't know and we've been loyal! He could guest host any number of home-based shows a few times a year just for fun and to reward his loyal followers easily. Everyone would have a blast tracking it down like a hidden Easter Egg! He could announce at noon and give everyone 6-8 hours to find the show and be ready to listen! They would become like digital Art Bell baseball cards!

Art! I know you lurk! Come on man! 4 shows a year at random! You know you're bored and miss it! Dust off that mic every now and then! Fill up the coffee cup, roll a smoke, and let it ride for a couple of hours deep in the night! I'm talking guest hosting garage podcasts with listeners in the 100's.

Because he has contempt for his listeners, and doesn't give a shit anymore?

Because the paranormal is played out and on-line trolls have taken the fun out of it for him (aww)?

Because the person most responsible for the success of the shows was Ramona, and he knows it?

Because he's like the superstar ballplayer who decides to retire before being turned into a pinch hitter or part time player?

Did you listen to the last one he did that turned into a Trump turdfest?  Sort of like like our last glimpse of Jerry Rice being on Dancing With The Stars.

Quote from:  PB the Deplorable on November 06, 2017, 04:52:13 AM
Because the person most responsible for the success of the shows was Ramona, and he knows it?
I'm convinced most of the show's faxes were, in fact written by Ramona. They were too well written to be from actual listeners

Quote from: Gd5150 on November 03, 2017, 06:54:27 PM
Good hosts could find new mysterious subjects of interest. Look at Knapp, he’s got the mafia thing, and Paulides’ Missing 411. If Art had been around the last 10 years who knows how many Mel’s holes or lawnchair pilot type stories there would be.

There’s more out there but it requires a top professional host with a passion for the mysterious, the freedom to handle things as they come, like live open lines from a world wide audience. And they must truly understand what made Art Bell great. Like not hosting the damn show from a high rise in downtown LA. That is literally the anti-Art.

Bob Bain. Before Art came back said he was more popular then Bell ever was because he had a lot of views on YouTube. Bain bragged how much money he was making. When Art quit, Bain went on how unprofessional it was to quit. YouTube changes how they calculate payments to content providers. Bain quits then says he quit just like Art because everyone is a hoaxster and he was sick of dealing with them. Now Bain is trying to put together another similar show to his YouTube show, after calling most of his former guest hoaxsters.

I get people don't like Wade she is an amateur. But there are similar podcast out there that make her look brilliant. Bain's ego and thick Southern accent make the show one of the worst podcast I've ever heard.

Another show that I am disappointed in was Schrader's Beyond the Darkness. I like Schraderon C2C, I liked darkness on the edge of town. But Schrader lost his flagship after they decided to go 100% political. As a result he went to podcast one who he has stated has put restrictions on the show, he no longer takes callers, does stupid crimes, puts a lot of classic interview shows from years prior, etc. Editing has also taken a hit as has sound quality. Guest quality has also plummeted. I know Schrader is a busy dude, just got engaged, has something like 8 kids (seriously), his mom recently died, has 2nd job on some ghost hunter tv show, dies C2C, has to do conventions to pay for 8 kids, and also is trying to help launch a new video paranormal website. His Producer/ co-host Tim Dennis has had very serious medical issues and is running some small wrestling promotion. I know interns helped them a lot when they were at the radio station now they have more work and less help.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 08, 2017, 12:25:24 AM
... Bain's ego and thick Southern accent make the show one of the worst podcast I've ever heard...

Yeah, that would do it.

... Another show that I am disappointed in...

It's pretty easy for me.  I don't listen to any of them. 

Art was the only one who was ever worth listening to.  For me the paranormal topics were exposed as BS by the very same guests promoting them - psychics of various stripes who weren't psychic; ghost recorders with recordings they had to first tell you what was being said for you to hear it; various reports of bigfoots, abductions, time travelers and so on that were clearly fake; kooks like Hoagy; explanations for unexplained phenomonon that couldn't be verified and weren't exactly convincing; on and on. 

Certainy there were some edgy scientific shows, and shows on alternative history, etc - but that's not paranormal.

I think the reason shows like Mel's Hole were so popular is because most people at some point understood the program was the equivalent of entertaining ghost stories, and Mel was certainly entertaining and came up with an original and interesting story.

A show like this can't be ended, years go by, then just pick up again where it left off and things be the same.  It's time is past

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 08, 2017, 01:07:55 AM
It's pretty easy for me.  I don't listen to any of them. 

Art was the only one who was ever worth listening to, for me the paranormal topics were exposed as BS over time by listening to the very same guests promoting them.

This is where you and I part.  Yes, there are horrible paranormal guests that are like Noory, flim-flam men.  Joshua Pee Warren, for example.  However, then there are also others in the field who I respect like Malachi Martin, Howard Storm (NDE atheist now Christian),  Adam Blai and Bill Bean among others.

I guess we can't agree on everything.

Bob Bain. Before Art came back said he was more popular then Bell ever was because he had a lot of views on YouTube. Bain bragged how much money he was making. When Art quit, Bain went on how unprofessional it was to quit. YouTube changes how they calculate payments to content providers. Bain quits then says he quit just like Art because everyone is a hoaxster and he was sick of dealing with them. Now Bain is trying to put together another similar show to his YouTube show, after calling most of his former guest hoaxsters.

I get people don't like Wade she is an amateur. But there are similar podcast out there that make her look brilliant. Bain's ego and thick Southern accent make the show one of the worst podcast I've ever heard.

Another show that I am disappointed in was Schrader's Beyond the Darkness. I like Schraderon C2C, I liked darkness on the edge of town. But Schrader lost his flagship after they decided to go 100% political. As a result he went to podcast one who he has stated has put restrictions on the show, he no longer takes callers, does stupid crimes, puts a lot of classic interview shows from years prior, etc. Editing has also taken a hit as has sound quality. Guest quality has also plummeted. I know Schrader is a busy dude, just got engaged, has something like 8 kids (seriously), his mom recently died, has 2nd job on some ghost hunter tv show, dies C2C, has to do conventions to pay for 8 kids, and also is trying to help launch a new video paranormal website. His Producer/ co-host Tim Dennis has had very serious medical issues and is running some small wrestling promotion. I know interns helped them a lot when they were at the radio station now they have more work and less help.

I think I heard Schrader say that he was the one who parted with his Ihateradio station after they bitched about him having a weekly podcast on podcastone.  He had started Beyond the Darkness before the other show stopped broadcasting.  They Ihateradio station still wanted Dave but he wanted to make more money but they said the new show was a nogo.  So Schrader left.  He no longer has his Ghost Adventures gig either.  I'm not sure why they parted though.  He has some new paranormul ghosthunting group that he is a part of called The Dark Zone but it sounds lame.  They want to do a show taken from a millenial/hipster's perspective.  No thanks.

I'm not listening to Beyond The Darkness much.  I liked his show better when callers were involved and well, like you said, the guests are kind of lame.