• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Convert Cassette Tapes to MP3

Started by albrecht, June 30, 2018, 09:32:25 PM

albrecht

What is easiest, best way. I have an old laptop running Linux Mint and have Audacity but never used via a "line in". Is that program the easiest way, assuming I figure that out? Or is there a better program? Want to get some old cassettes into MP3. Audio not music. Not  forgotten Art, sadly, but some family interviews from old folks decades ago. They are not stereo and I figure I'm not going to try to adjust audio etc but would like, if easy, to have 'tracks' not the whole tape on one file. But could live with it. I also figure that the tape player (one player) would have to play at normal speed?

I used Audacity on an older PC with line in to convert some old live stuff I had on cassette (King Biscuit/Midnight Special/etc).  Before that, it was a program called disk ogg or something like that.  I remember having to fiddle with it quite a bit at first, but once I got the hang of it, it went fairly smoothly. There might be better/easier ways but I used what I had. If you start using it and have questions, drop a line.  Been a while since I used it but it might come back to me. Good luck!

You can cut tracks using Audacity and yes, your tape player will run at normal speed and recording will happen in real time.

albrecht

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on June 30, 2018, 10:34:23 PM
You can cut tracks using Audacity and yes, your tape player will run at normal speed and recording will happen in real time.

Thank you. I'll try it out. In some ways, sorta, don't wanna listen (hear me young and dead folks I miss) and thought outsource but, then again, don't wanna lose them in mailing or some scam. But want to archive.

Quote from: albrecht on June 30, 2018, 10:43:48 PM

Thank you. I'll try it out. In some ways, sorta, don't wanna listen (hear me young and dead folks I miss) and thought outsource but, then again, don't wanna lose them in mailing or some scam. But want to archive.

I understand. I've still got a few tapes with funeral services and memorial stuff on them that I didn't convert, but probably should.

albrecht

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on June 30, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
I understand. I've still got a few tapes with funeral services and memorial stuff on them that I didn't convert, but probably should.

Yeah. Got a bug for some reason and recorded "old folks" and family reunions or when in the hospital or just on property. When I got a tape recorder and thought the coolest thing. Could record radio, friends, and stuff and be "reporter"

. Now gonna convert but I sound dumb kid. But some good stuff on others, that I didnt realize good history. Random old guy talking, cut me off, when I wanted details,about   Normandy or relative on a Jap prison ship that WE bombed[/size]

Sean92008

Quote from: albrecht on June 30, 2018, 10:43:48 PM

I have worked a job for an older songwriter using Audacity to bulk record jams, rehearsals and doodling... 

I'm not completely enamored with it but it is free and it's OK for straight recordings.  I hate to edit with it.  I'd recommend Acoustica Mixcraft as it has really solid beat sensing and tools to add overdubs, stretch/compress time, correct pitch and, along with included ones, the ability to add VST effects (like broadcast compression) tools and instruments. Its pricing is very modest.

Clean the deck, get as much signal into the computer without distortion and KEEP LOGS. On the main tape dump,
Note the song names and times!  My client was like, "Just dump it." My logs were almost immediately utilized when I asked him who the singer was on a demo from hours earlier...  He found the track, burned it to CD and sent it to the guy 🙂

Quote from: albrecht on June 30, 2018, 11:01:32 PM

Yeah. Got a bug for some reason and recorded "old folks" and family reunions or when in the hospital or just on property. When I got a tape recorder and thought the coolest thing. Could record radio, friends, and stuff and be "reporter"

. Now gonna convert but I sound dumb kid. But some good stuff on others, that I didnt realize good history. Random old guy talking, cut me off, when I wanted details,about   Normandy or relative on a Jap prison ship that WE bombed[/size]

Simon and Garfunkel did the very same thing on "Bookends." 1967, I think.

Jojo

When I strip the radio's red speaker wire and strip the white one, and insert the bare wire under its corresponding clip, will i get shocked if i touch the bare wire while the radio is plugged in or turned on?

Metron2267

Not if you have a grounded outlet and dry fingers. The current going into your speakers is very low amperage. You will see about 1.77 Amps RMS current if your amplifier is delivering 25 Watts into an 8 Ohm load.

HTH

Jojo

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 12, 2018, 10:28:38 AM
Not if you have a grounded outlet and dry fingers. The current going into your speakers is very low amperage. You will see about 1.77 Amps RMS current if your amplifier is delivering 25 Watts into an 8 Ohm load.

HTH
So there is a risk.  Thank you.  I suppose the outlet is grounded.  If I just touch the insulated wire, though, then there is no risk, right?  And @WR250 @wr250.

A long time ago, I was shocked really badly while drying my hair.  i didn't think I did anything wrong. Maybe my flip flops were wet. It wasn't the average zinger like a light socket.  I should have gone to the hospital to be checked, but I thought I recovered within half an hour so I didn't call 911.  Big mistake.  Never have an undocumented injury, especially prior to Obamacare.  Ever since that day, I am a hypoglycemic (pancreas doesn't like to put out glycogen).  Also, afterward, I had a lot of mysterious cardiac issues for five years.  The heart is what gives us strength.  Very worrisome.  One morning much later, when I was still having cardiac issues, I woke up from a dream that angels performed a surgery on me.  My pancreas was not repaired, but my cardiac issues went away.  It's been years since the dramatic improvement.  I rarely remember those frightening years anymore.  A doctor recently sounded confident when Obamacare allowed him to check my heart.

Is my radio cheesy expecting me to do this techy stuff?

Metron2267

Quote from: 14 on December 12, 2018, 03:25:45 PM
So there is a risk.  Thank you.  I suppose the outlet is grounded.  If I just touch the insulated wire, though, then there is no risk, right?  And @WR250 @wr250.

It's a real slight risk, lower even than touching a 9 volt battery to your tongue to test for voltage. I have hot-wired many a speaker (home and auto) and never felt a tingle.

QuoteA long time ago, I was shocked really badly while drying my hair.  i didn't think I did anything wrong. Maybe my flip flops were wet. It wasn't the average zinger like a light socket.  I should have gone to the hospital to be checked, but I thought I recovered within half an hour so I didn't call 911.  Big mistake.  Never have an undocumented injury, especially prior to Obamacare.  Ever since that day, I am a hypoglycemic (pancreas doesn't like to put out glycogen).  Also, afterward, I had a lot of mysterious cardiac issues for five years.  The heart is what gives us strength.  Very worrisome.  One morning much later, when I was still having cardiac issues, I woke up from a dream that angels performed a surgery on me.  My pancreas was not repaired, but my cardiac issues went away.  It's been years since the dramatic improvement.  I rarely remember those frightening years anymore.  A doctor recently sounded confident when Obamacare allowed him to check my heart.

Is my radio cheesy expecting me to do this techy stuff?

Glad you recovered, but if the circuit didn't pop and go dead immediately you either had:

~ a bad GFI breaker (that can kill you)

~ A non UL listed hair dryer (they make them now with their own inline circuit breakers)

I recommend regularly testing all GFCI outlets and if they do not trip and reset - call an electrician!

I believe you will be just fine hooking your speakers up. In fact any decent receiver or amp has internal breakers in the event the + and - wires touch or short at the terminal.

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on December 12, 2018, 04:14:26 PM
It's a real slight risk, lower even than touching a 9 volt battery to your tongue to test for voltage. I have hot-wired many a speaker (home and auto) and never felt a tingle.

Glad you recovered, but if the circuit didn't pop and go dead immediately you either had:

~ a bad GFI breaker (that can kill you)

~ A non UL listed hair dryer (they make them now with their own inline circuit breakers)

I recommend regularly testing all GFCI outlets and if they do not trip and reset - call an electrician!

I believe you will be just fine hooking your speakers up. In fact any decent receiver or amp has internal breakers in the event the + and - wires touch or short at the terminal.
I would add: don't trust the wiring diagram, or writing on your 'fuse' box, unless you built your house or were there prior to framing and saw where the wires are. And, even then, test the circuit, throw breaker, cut main power when replacing outlets, fans, lighting, etc. I know some folks do without if a quick, easy job but I say better safe than sorry.

Sometimes what seems "logical" wasn't done and you might have, for example, an outlet in one room that is actually on the circuit of another room. Cut corners, easier to lay lines, someone DYId something, added stuff later, etc.

Pros and some jobs have lockout and procedures etc also to ensure equipment or circuits aren't turned on by someone else by accident etc when someone is working on equipment or electrical.

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on December 12, 2018, 04:30:53 PM
I would add: don't trust the wiring diagram, or writing on your 'fuse' box, unless you built your house or were there prior to framing and saw where the wires are. And, even then, test the circuit, throw breaker, cut main power when replacing outlets, fans, lighting, etc. I know some folks do without if a quick, easy job but I say better safe than sorry.

Ditto all that - I've been bit before and it ain't fun.

QuoteSometimes what seems "logical" wasn't done and you might have, for example, an outlet in one room that is actually on the circuit of another room. Cut corners, easier to lay lines, someone DYId something, added stuff later, etc.

Iv'e seen daisy chained outlets with as many as 4 ground wires lugged together at the end - freaks me out!

QuotePros and some jobs have lockout and procedures etc also to ensure equipment or circuits aren't turned on by someone else by accident etc when someone is working on equipment or electrical.

+1!