• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

New USAF Bomber

Started by Uncle Duke, September 19, 2016, 11:04:30 AM

K_Dubb

If we let Yorkie name it, he'd probably call it the Luna Moth or Bittern or the Nightjar or some silly thing.  Has anyone ever addressed the cultural implications of British vs. American aircraft nomenclature?  You guys really are a nation of bird-watching entomologist twits.  ;D

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 19, 2016, 04:02:35 PM
Bah. I was pulling for Black Widow
Black Widow is already designated to the P-61.
Awesome night fighter /  bomber BTW.

Northrop's P-61 Black Widow was America's, and arguably the world's, first purpose-built night fighter. The size of a typical medium bomber, it was surprisingly agile. It was also remarkably strong, as this was the airframe chosen after the war for exploring the internals of Midwest thunderstorms.

A number of stories tell of the development of the gloss black finish, which made the plane less visible when caught in a searchlight. Conventional camouflage â€" OD over light gray â€" was highly visible and matte black scattered enough light to produce a ghost image when lighted; gloss black reflected light as a couple of small bright spots that could be mistaken for stars on a clear night. I have seen no sources to verify, but it would seem that the (relatively high-maintenance) gloss black finish was not used, or was at least little used, in the Pacific theater, since the planes in that theater seldom had to deal with searchlights. Most of the planes in PTO seem to have been painted in OD over gray.

Many of the surviving planes ended their careers as borate bombers fighting wildfires in the western US. The ability to operate of short, rough fields, designed in to meet the needs of operations in the Pacific theater and during the advance across Europe, high maneuverability and considerable lifting capacity all combined to make them a plane well suited to that duty.

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 19, 2016, 11:45:48 AM
Oh, man. I hope they bring this to our local air show next summer. My favorite event of the year. Nothing like the gorgeous Heavenly drones of a jet engine. I should be posting this in your favorite things thread.
I've always been partial to the sound of Quad-Radials. ;)  Heavy Iron.

So far, this is the latest that I've seen. You can see the after-burners when it pumps up its speed. Pretty cool and sounds wonderful.

The F-35:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/01/it-could-be-years-before-billion-dollar-war-toy-f-35-is-ready-for-combat.html

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/f-35-the-aircraft-trudeau-said-is-far-from-working-now-declared-ready-for-combat-by-u-s-air-force

Although, that's not counting the black triangle that I saw hovering around about 16 years ago that the powers that be loved to claim didn't exist. Yeah, sure.

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 19, 2016, 04:43:06 PM
I've always been partial to the sound of Quad-Radials. ;)  Heavy Iron.

At least you understand.  8)

Value Of Pi

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 19, 2016, 04:33:11 PM
If we let Yorkie name it, he'd probably call it the Luna Moth or Bittern or the Nightjar or some silly thing.  Has anyone ever addressed the cultural implications of British vs. American aircraft nomenclature?  You guys really are a nation of bird-watching entomologist twits.  ;D

You wouldn't say the same thing about the way they name ships. HMS Victorious, HMS Courageous, HMS Conquerer, etc. I'm afraid they have us beat there. Just giving credit where it's due.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 19, 2016, 04:55:38 PM
You wouldn't say the same thing about the way they name ships. HMS Victorious, HMS Courageous, HMS Conquerer, etc. I'm afraid they have us beat there. Just giving credit where it's due.

Only because the names go back to Nelson's day, if not earlier.  We know what they'd name their ships now -- Boaty McBoatface, if I recall correctly.  That's the kind of puerile impulse encouraged when your mummy mashes your peas for you.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 19, 2016, 05:01:49 PM
Only because the names go back to Nelson's day, if not earlier.  We know what they'd name their ships now -- Boaty McBoatface, if I recall correctly.
It ended up being named RRS Sir David Attenborough although in deference to the online voters one of the remote-controlled underwater vehicles will be named "Boaty." I love when governments don't understand the internet. The internet voted our new landfill to be named for the musical talents of Fred Durst, the city though declined the people's will.
http://www.npr.org/2011/02/06/133526729/those-are-crappy-names-for-a-waste-department

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on September 19, 2016, 05:04:42 PM
It ended up being named RRS Sir David Attenborough although in deference to the online voters one of the remote-controlled underwater vehicles will be named "Boaty."

Haha nice of them to give a sop to the precious little darlings.  Won't be much ranting and roaring aboard the Sir Dave, I'll bet.

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 19, 2016, 04:33:11 PM

LOL.

Those damn redcoats have come up with some descriptive animal names. It must be their dry wit. :D

Fairey Barracuda

Beagle Basset     - well, make up your mind, beagle, or basset hound ?

Fairey Battle         - LOL, just lol.  :)

Avro Bison

Brewster Buffalo

Bristol Bulldog

Martinsyde Buzzard

Sopwith Camel

De Havilland Chipmunk

De Havilland Cirrus Moth

Sopwith Cuckoo

Westland Dragonfly

Miles Falcon

Slingsby Firefly

De Havilland Flamingo

Folland/Hawker Siddeley Gnat

De Havilland Heron

De Havilland Hummingbird

SEPECAT Jaguar

Blackburn Kangaroo

...to name a few. But there's nothing like the name "De Havilland Puss Moth" or a "Fairey Albacore" to strike fear into the hearts of the enemy. ;)
;D    ;D   ;D

K_Dubb

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 19, 2016, 05:22:11 PM
...to name a few. But there's nothing like the name "De Havilland Puss Moth" or a "Fairey Albacore" to strike fear into the hearts of the enemy. ;)
;D    ;D   ;D

I'm pretty sure the guy who named the Mosquito had never encountered a more vicious beast.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 19, 2016, 05:01:49 PM
Only because the names go back to Nelson's day, if not earlier.  We know what they'd name their ships now -- Boaty McBoatface, if I recall correctly.  That's the kind of puerile impulse encouraged when your mummy mashes your peas for you.

The public enjoyed the competition but the tradition remains. Remember, there were grave doubts about the Royal Navy's ability to project power back during the Falklands conflict but they managed well enough.

Personally, I'm a big believer that it really matters what you name your ships. If you've got HMS Valiant painted on the hull, you damn well better act that way. It gives the Brits a psychological edge, IMO.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 19, 2016, 04:09:20 PM
Northrop called their YF-23 the Black Widow II but it lost out to the YF-22 and never went into production.

Oh. Didn't realize Northrup burned up the name on a contract loser.  Too bad.  As Logan pointed out
the P-61 was a really cool war bird.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 19, 2016, 05:26:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy who named the Mosquito had never encountered a more vicious beast.
Hey, I think the mosquito holds the record for actually killing more people than any other animal (though not by direct attack but as a vector.)

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 19, 2016, 05:31:05 PM
Oh. Didn't realize Northrup burned up the name on a contract loser.  Too bad.  As Logan pointed out
the P-61 was a really cool war bird.

You aware one is being restored to flying condition at the aviation museum in Reading, PA?  I think it's a couple years from taking flight, but if I'm still on the right side of the dirt, I'll be there for the first flight.

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 19, 2016, 05:30:59 PM
The public enjoyed the competition but the tradition remains. Remember, there were grave doubts about the Royal Navy's ability to project power back during the Falklands conflict but they managed well enough.

Personally, I'm a big believer that it really matters what you name your ships. If you've got HMS Valiant painted on the hull, you damn well better act that way. It gives the Brits a psychological edge, IMO.

My favorite Royal Navy ship name was the HMS Vampire:

For the US Navy the USS Wasp  was/is a pretty cool name:

Value Of Pi

Never forget that it was a Royal Navy Swordfish that finally stuck it to the Bismarck with a torpedo. Not bad for a fish.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 19, 2016, 05:30:59 PM

Ah, yes.  I'm sure the Argentines quaked in their boots as the mighty Hermes bore down on them.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 19, 2016, 05:34:22 PM
My favorite Royal Navy ship name was the HMS Vampire:

For the US Navy the USS Wasp  was/is a pretty cool name:

Love, love, love the name HMS Vampire. Probably aptly named too, possibly for ASW in the darkest depths of the sea. No hiding in the darkness from a vampire.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 19, 2016, 05:42:00 PM
Ah, yes.  I'm sure the Argentines quaked in their boots as the mighty Hermes bore down on them.

If was only later that the quaking started, when a wire-guided torpedo hit the Belgrano with mucho noise and reverberation. Although the Argentine army knew enough to run when the landing craft came in. They saw "Sir Galahad" and such on the hulls and that's all it took.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 19, 2016, 05:57:31 PM
If was only later that the quaking started, when a wire-guided torpedo hit the Belgrano with mucho noise and reverberation. Although the Argentine army knew enough to run when the landing craft came in. They saw "Sir Galahad" and such on the hulls and that's all it took.

The Argentine Air Force didn't get the memo.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 19, 2016, 06:04:49 PM

The Argentine Air Force didn't get the memo.
and they had the bad taste to nail HMS Antelope as well

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 19, 2016, 05:34:10 PM
You aware one is being restored to flying condition at the aviation museum in Reading, PA?  I think it's a couple years from taking flight, but if I'm still on the right side of the dirt, I'll be there for the first flight.
There's an amazing story behind that recovery and restoration. She only had 10 hrs of logged flight time before her crash. Due to the conditions of the crash site, she was incredibly preserved with air still in the tires, fuel and hydraulics still intact. Incredible.
http://www.maam.org/p61/p61_recovery.htm     Story &  pictures of the recovery.

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 19, 2016, 05:26:23 PM
It had a cool looking air brake system though. ;)

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 19, 2016, 06:28:54 PM
There's an amazing story behind that recovery and restoration. She only had 10 hrs of logged flight time before her crash. Due to the conditions of the crash site, she was incredibly preserved with air still in the tires, fuel and hydraulics still intact. Incredible.
http://www.maam.org/p61/p61_recovery.htm     Story &  pictures of the recovery.

What a cool story.  Thanks a million Logan.   At this rate we may to start a war birds thread!

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 19, 2016, 06:11:36 PM
and they had the bad taste to nail HMS Antelope as well

The name "Antelope" couldn't have helped in this case. Antelope are fair game for predators, even Argentinian predators. I would have renamed any ship named "Antelope" before deploying to a war zone.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on September 19, 2016, 06:37:29 PM
What a cool story.  Thanks a million Logan.   At this rate we may to start a war birds thread!

Good idea, although some are sure to call it the warmongers thread. Screw 'em.

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 19, 2016, 06:52:57 PM
The name "Antelope" couldn't have helped in this case. Antelope are fair game for predators, even Argentinian predators. I would have renamed any ship named "Antelope" before deploying to a war zone.

Guess there is no reason to bring up HMS Penelope then?

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 19, 2016, 06:55:28 PM
Good idea, although some are sure to call it the warmongers thread. Screw 'em.

We  we'll give it a shot and see if it grows any legs.
http://bellgab.com/index.php/topic,10205.new.html#new