• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Caruthers612

Just re-watched "No Country for Old Men." Um, do I really need to add anything?

Mordred, what is cowerin' under 'is bed

Kenny & Company - 1976

p.s. note to 33rd degree:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Frys Girl

Quote from: Mordred478 on October 31, 2008, 09:57:24 AM
   Um, do I really need to add anything?

Age sex and location. Oh and the year of the movie I believe.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 31, 2008, 10:00:55 PM

p.s. note to 33rd degree:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*checking my pasty neck-gills in the mirror* Oh yeah, lookin' fine.........

EvB

Quote from: Mordred478 on October 31, 2008, 09:52:28 AM
           The girl or the film of her playing? <duck>

M

Ohhhhhhhh MORDRED!   I just saw this you BAD BOY!

You happen to be speaking of my best and oldest friend's daughter who was barely pubescent at the time!!!

SHAME on you!

Now Ev goes her way to wait and see if 'dred has any blush reflex at all  :o

EvB

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on October 31, 2008, 11:07:16 AM
The Bad Seed - 1956

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/camazotz_automat/skullflicker.gif
Re: The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

I just watched that one - and was utterly weirded out by the "spanking a sociopath will solve all problems" Good for the Pele involved?  Maybe - for the kid?  Dunno. 

What I'd like to know from the theatrical point people view is if this was a take - Off on the stage play end - or someting new for the film melodrama.

Unlike many - who equate melodrama with trash, pure and simple _ I have another take on this. I think melodrama plays an important role in our lives 0 both socially and artistically - as long as we understand what melodrama a IS  IE:  not absolute reality - but caricature.

Quote from: EvB on November 03, 2008, 10:17:47 PM
Re: The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

I just watched that one - and was utterly weirded out by the "spanking a sociopath will solve all problems" Good for the Pele involved?  Maybe - for the kid?  Dunno. 

Oh no, it's good.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on November 03, 2008, 11:27:39 PM
Oh no, it's good.

Um - have you seen this film?

I'm not coming from "Don't spank the child"    I'm weirded out by the idea that "all the girl needs is some discipline"  -- she was a murdering sociopath for the love of God!

Anyway - I think the theatrical effect was supposed to be "lighten up" after a very melodramatic movie-  and - perhaps it worked in 1956.  Here and now - I just found it odd and creepy.

Quote from: EvB on November 04, 2008, 03:43:16 AM
Um - have you seen this film?

I'm not coming from "Don't spank the child"    I'm weirded out by the idea that "all the girl needs is some discipline"  -- she was a murdering sociopath for the love of God!

Anyway - I think the theatrical effect was supposed to be "lighten up" after a very melodramatic movie-  and - perhaps it worked in 1956.  Here and now - I just found it odd and creepy.

I guess that aspect is pretty weird.  Just spank the killer and it's all alright.  I'll rewatch this movie when I get the chance.

The spanking scene ? which occurs after the movie and after the stage-styled curtain call ? can not logically take place after the final events of the film and is unrelated to any theory of punishment regarding the story.  We've already seen how a little sociopath is punished:  1) The mother attempts to kill her and 2) God finally does so by electro-barbecuing the little girl on the pier.

I view the spanking scene as a triptych event:

Panel the first: It was a joke between actresses who were friends off stage. (Interesting Patty McCormick interview on the DVD.)

Panel the second: The actresses were poking fun at the ridiculous "Hays Code" of the period which required a film to never portray "crime that pays." (To extend the Hays Code, to spoof it, we will even punish the child actress after the film.)

The Hays Code resulted in the changing of the story itself.  In the novel, the child lives on, to perpetuate evil while the mother dies.  In the 1956 film, the final outcome is reversed.  The problem was rectified in the 1985 version.

Panel the third: The spanking was not a melodrama pressure release valve of any sort, but rather an ingenious deconstruction of the "4th Wall."

The major problem with the film is that it was overplayed ? as if the actors were performing on a live stage.  I willingly look past this problem, since most of them had been performing The Bad Seed as a play before the film adaptation.

EvB

QuoteThe major problem with the film is that it was overplayed ? as if the actors were performing on a live stage.  I willingly look past this problem, since most of them had been performing The Bad Seed as a play before the film adaptation.

AH!  Okay -  that makes more sense.  I was about to contact my film instructor over it - I was just NOT getting it.

EvB

Deliver Us from Evil (2006)

Documentary re: a particular case of child molestation in the LA - Roman Catholic church. The priest involved is actually in the doc.  Kinda creepy.

EvB

Si j'?tais toi (2007)

Yeah - sounds pretentious - but it's called "The Secreat" in English - which is also the name of the strange "be your true self - love your true self -- and the world will be Eden once again"  that has been so strangely popular.

This one is just STRANGE.  Based on a Japanese thriller - Mom, Dad and daughter seem happy (though the daughter is VERY 16)  Mom and daughter get in car accident.  Mom dies and posses daughter (that's all up front info - no spoiler this)

Now DAD has his wife, and his daughter - but only the one 16 y/o body for both. 

Strangeness follows - as if the premise isn't enough. .

Not terribly Lolita - except on the psychological level.

Obscure.

Spikegirl

Quote from: EvB on November 06, 2008, 06:22:31 PM
Si j'?tais toi (2007)

Yeah - sounds pretentious - but it's called "The Secreat" in English - which is also the name of the strange "be your true self - love your true self -- and the world will be Eden once again"  that has been so strangely popular.

This one is just STRANGE.  Based on a Japanese thriller - Mom, Dad and daughter seem happy (though the daughter is VERY 16)  Mom and daughter get in car accident.  Mom dies and posses daughter (that's all up front info - no spoiler this)

Now DAD has his wife, and his daughter - but only the one 16 y/o body for both. 

Strangeness follows - as if the premise isn't enough. .

Not terribly Lolita - except on the psychological level.

Obscure.

Not for nothing, but that sounds sick. And not in a good way. If you like French flicks, try Trop Belle Pour Toi and The Bride Wore Black (French title: La Mari?e ?tait en noir).

EvB

Actually - it was American.  David Ducovny! And while there was that weird isetuous undertone - it wasn't as twisted as it seems on the surface.  More like a psychological ghost story.

That said - I can't exactly recommend it.

There isn't much about it out there - people did find it pretty weird.

Here is a trailer -- and BTW - the first woman you see here is the MOTHER b4 she died.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_KapAkn_7g

And - while there is generalized sexual tension (because Dad can't get it on  with  the daughter and "Mom" isn't exactly comfortable with the daughter's boyfriend) And while there are hints at desire between Dad and Daughter/Mom  -- there isn't anything that would leave you absolutely sure that was ever consumated.  And if it was - it was a bit like the kiss between Whoopie Goldberg and Demi Moore in Ghost.

EvB

The End of Suburbia (2005?)

documentary.  Watched it as part of a prep for an exam tomorrow night.

"We're literally stuck up a cul-de-sac in a cement SUV without a fill-up" - James Howard Kunstler