• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

ItsOver

Quote from: Chine on October 20, 2018, 05:19:53 PM
Last night we saw ‘Halloween 2018’ and it was actually good and quite entertaining. I was a teen when the original came out so I really lost all interest from the sequels. This one however was well done.

Also saw ‘White Boy Rick’ which I loved and McCanoaughshahd agh hey hey hey argh ...whatever... is divine.
I've been setting on the fence for "Halloween 2018."  Thanks for your feedback.  I may try to catch it this week.

ShayP

I initially posted this in the Horror thread:

I saw the new Halloween Friday night.  When I first heard this movie was being made as a sequel to the original I was excited.  I tempered my expectations going into this one but still was eager, hoping for a reinvention of the classic since we are supposed to disregard all other sequels.   I must say that I was somewhat disappointed overall.  Most of the cast was awful.  Laurie Strode was a little over the top, IMO.  It was cool seeing a glimpse of Michael Myers' face (without the mask) portrayed by the original actor.  Grey hair and some wrinkles.  However being 40 years older didn't prevent him from being an killing machine with still impressive strength.

This movie should've been 20 minutes longer so they could fill in more of a family dynamic between Laurie and her daughter and granddaughter.  In addition to Michael's 40 years in captivity.  These story lines just seemed to brief and generic.  There were segments of the original 'part two' that were copied and adapted, but to me not as they should've been.  There also was a big WTF moment that I'm still trying to process.  We waited for the credits to end because most of the movies now put out post-credit scenes so we expected some kind of teaser.  Well, there was something at the end but I don't want to spoil it.

This movie was underwhelming.  If it only had some more meat on it's bones so to speak.  I'll be generous and give it 3 of 5 stars.

ItsOver

Ha!  You should have been a little faster on the draw, Mr. Rogers. ;)  I just purchased a ticket to see "Halloween 2018" this week, then saw your post.  Oh, well, I got a discount ticket, so no big loss.  It's not like I'm going to be busy posting on BG then, instead.  I'll post my take after seeing it.  If I don't enjoy it, I'll post a glowing review on EllGab.

ShayP

Quote from: ItsOver on October 22, 2018, 06:47:33 AM
Ha!  You should have been a little faster on the draw, Mr. Rogers. ;)  I just purchased a ticket to see "Halloween 2018" this week, then saw your post.  Oh, well, I got a discount ticket, so no big loss.  It's not like I'm going to be busy posting on BG then, instead.  I'll post my take after seeing it.

I look forward to your thoughts on it.  I saw that Chine liked it.  I still have mixed feelings and stand by my review.  We are all critics!  ;D   In fact, I was invited to see it again next week, and I just may leave the theater with a different view.

Thanks for the reviews on Halloween.  I plan on seeing it this week.

ItsOver

Quote from: ShayP on October 22, 2018, 06:23:27 AM
I initially posted this in the Horror thread:

I saw the new Halloween Friday night.  When I first heard this movie was being made as a sequel to the original I was excited.  I tempered my expectations going into this one but still was eager, hoping for a reinvention of the classic since we are supposed to disregard all other sequels.   I must say that I was somewhat disappointed overall.  Most of the cast was awful.  Laurie Strode was a little over the top, IMO.  It was cool seeing a glimpse of Michael Myers' face (without the mask) portrayed by the original actor.  Grey hair and some wrinkles.  However being 40 years older didn't prevent him from being an killing machine with still impressive strength.

This movie should've been 20 minutes longer so they could fill in more of a family dynamic between Laurie and her daughter and granddaughter.  In addition to Michael's 40 years in captivity.  These story lines just seemed to brief and generic.  There were segments of the original 'part two' that were copied and adapted, but to me not as they should've been.  There also was a big WTF moment that I'm still trying to process.  We waited for the credits to end because most of the movies now put out post-credit scenes so we expected some kind of teaser.  Well, there was something at the end but I don't want to spoil it.

This movie was underwhelming.  If it only had some more meat on it's bones so to speak.  I'll be generous and give it 3 of 5 stars.
I saw it last night.  As President Trump's biggest fan, The Pud, would have said, "you were spot on."  Just a bit too kind, though, but I guess that's your nature, Mr. Rogers.  ;)

In addition, I didn't care for the overall cinematography, just too bright, clear, and crisp, which ruins the overall atmosphere for me.  Crap, this is Halloween and about evil, not "La La Land."  Also, just a too rapid cut from scene to scene, in general, which again, disturbs the feeling of the movie.  It reminded me of the disaster that was "Jeepers Creepers 3," in that regard.  Oh, for the greats, such as Hitchcock who understood all the various nuances required for a good film. 

In other news, I suffered through the several thousand coming attractions.  Another "Pet Sematary?"  No, just no.  Meanwhile, Hollywood "Monsterizes" Nicole Kidman.  ::)

ShayP

Quote from: ItsOver on October 24, 2018, 04:21:00 AM
I saw it last night.  As President Trump's biggest fan, The Pud, would have said, "you were spot on."  Just a bit too kind, though, but I guess that's your nature, Mr. Rogers.  ;)

In addition, I didn't care for the overall cinematography, just too bright, clear, and crisp, which ruins the overall atmosphere for me.  Crap, this is Halloween and about evil, not "La La Land."  Also, just a too rapid cut from scene to scene, in general, which again, disturbs the feeling of the movie.  It reminded me of the disaster that was "Jeepers Creepers 3," in that regard.  Oh, for the greats, such as Hitchcock who understood all the various nuances required for a good film. 

In other news, I suffered through the several thousand coming attractions.  Another "Pet Sematary?"  No, just no.  Meanwhile, Hollywood "Monsterizes" Nicole Kidman.  ::)

YIKES!!!  I thought for a second she went trans.   :o   ;D

Good points on the cinematography and scene cuts.  No suspense factor at all either.  Funny you mention Jeepers Creepers 3.  I was actually wanting to see that but my instinct held me back.

Jackstar

https://news.avclub.com/david-lynchs-new-short-film-is-weird-even-by-david-lync-1830444608

QuoteTitled “Ant Head,” the video is an uninterrupted 13-minute shot of ants swarming over a block of cheese carved into the shape of a human head. If that sounds entertaining to you and you’re excited to watch it, then you’re probably David Lynch and we’re honored that you’re reading The A.V. Club. For everyone else, here it is anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDAJIWvTKw8

TBQH, I did not watch the whole thing. I am open to alternate interpretations.

Seems clear though.

pate

Taaroa

Just going to put some trailers here for films which look like they might be interesting.

A movie about Berlusconi made by the guy who did The Young Pope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0cc7bPsL10

and

Christian Bale playing Dick Cheney:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSGFt6w0wok

ItsOver

I finally saw "Hunter Killer" before it left the big screen.  Great action flick.  Loved it.  Gary Oldman is actually in it, if only briefly.  I highly recommend it, other than the obligatory "We've got to push a female-lesbo-Hillary as President" part, which is, fortunately, brief.  Even the CGI is well done and, thank God, it has nothing do to do with Marvel comics super heroes.  The wimpy cunt critics hated it, so I knew it had to be good. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on November 19, 2018, 06:29:23 PM
I finally saw "Hunter Killer" before it left the big screen.  Great action flick.  Loved it.  Gary Oldman is actually in it, if only briefly.  I highly recommend it, other than the obligatory "We've got to push a female-lesbo-Hillary as President" part, which is, fortunately, brief.  Even the CGI is well done and, thank God, it has nothing do to do with Marvel comics super heroes.  The wimpy cunt critics hated it, so I knew it had to be good. 

I thought the Captain America series was very well done but I’ll probably watch this too.

Taaroa

Finally got around to watching all of The Putin Interviews and I thought overall they were worth the time.
It was interesting listening to Putin's point of view on things (even if he mightn't have been telling the truth) but it was by no means the kind of series where 'tough' questions were asked or that he was called out for things in his responses, and I think that might be the only way such a series could've been made with him. I do wish that it was done by someone other than Oliver Stone - he keeps on working his own body of work and Hollywood into things and over-inflating their importance in the world, and it's very grating (Putin doesn't seem particularly impressed by it either).

Taaroa

Watched Akira at the cinema.

Set in a cyberpunk Tokyo, it's about psychic powers manifesting in a person and the destruction they bring and the attempts to stop him.
Very well animated and accompanied by a good score.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 15, 2018, 08:18:09 AM
Watched Akira at the cinema.

Set in a cyberpunk Tokyo, it's about psychic powers manifesting in a person and the destruction they bring and the attempts to stop him.
Very well animated and accompanied by a good score.

Ah so! Me rikey very much! ;D

Lilith

The Rabbit Hole is a Hulu series that follows the story of a time traveler going back to 1960, to try to prevent the death of JFK, for a friend.

starrmtn001

Hey!  How about a Rabbit Hole episode about a time traveler who prevents brig's parents from ever meeting each other?

Not historically relevant, but it would keep BellGab from getting fucked over. ;) :D

Taaroa

Quote from: brig on December 18, 2018, 12:31:52 PM
The Rabbit Hole is a Hulu series that follows the story of a time traveler going back to 1960, to try to prevent the death of JFK, for a friend.

If only this existed...

Dr. MD MD

Interesting Movie Menu:

1. Breakfast At Tiffany’s
2. Naked Lunch
3. My Dinner With Andre

Bon Apetite!

Chine

Just finished Season 1 of ‘You’ on Netflix which was a surprise as I thought it was really well done.

‘Bird Box’ on Netflix is very good.

Finally watched all 6 Seasons of ‘The Americans’ which I started two months ago.

Curious about Black Mirror ‘Bandersnatch’ ... anyone watch it? Thoughts?

Taaroa

Saw Vice last week, and it was alright. The acting was excellent but the directing/editing/writing not so much, and I think the film struggled a bit with whether it wanted to be a comedy or not. Sam Rockwell still wasn't a convincing George W Bush.

Saw a horror movie called Hereditary on Cubavision. Without spoiling it too much it was about creepy kids, witches, seances and ghosts. It also had a disturbing amount of nude elderly people in it which is probably how it got its 7.3 imdb rating

Metron2267

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 01, 2019, 12:57:14 PM
Saw a horror movie called Hereditary on Cubavision. Without spoiling it too much it was about creepy kids, witches, seances and ghosts. It also had a disturbing amount of nude elderly people in it which is probably how it got its 7.3 imdb rating

Sound slike a dandy!

TNX

...will turn away from nude elderly people... ::)

"Hereditary conjures multiple indelibly brutal moments of pure horror - the likes of which made many in my audience giggle in anxiety. Aster truly seems to get as much tension as possible from each scene. The film's direction, writing, cinematography, production design, and score are all some of the best the horror genre has seen. It's a beautiful thing to see a film crafted so keenly."