• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

fysisist

here's several sci-fi and related movies I've seen lately that I thought were pretty good or even very good:

Moon
Daybreakers
The Book of Eli
30 Days of Night
Devil
Monsters
Hunter Prey
Alien Raiders

These are all on Netflix, some are available streaming, some not. 

b_dubb

Moon was excellent

i just watched True Grit.  loved it

Just finished watching "Stroker Ace.

Stroker Ace 1983 original film trailer

now watching "gator," which is the sequel to "white lightning."

Gator Movie Trailer

planning on hitting up some "Cannonball Run" next.

Cannonball run US Trailer

BobGrau

the accidental conspiracy part 1

the accidental conspiracy part 2

one of my top three for the last 15 years or more.

(the others are called 'dogs in space' and 'tetsuo: the iron man')

enjoy!

Limitless.

Not one for 'action/thriller' type movies but I was suitably impressed with this one. The only thing that upset me was coming to the end of the film with the realisation that there is no comparable real-life product to NZT 48. :(

aldousburbank

I don't want to be a nerd but...

Netflix is now streaming Star Trek Voyager, 7 seasons.  Ian has referred to himself as the Captain Janeway of the Coast franchise.  The series is less about space and aliens, and more about humanistic elements of getting along.  Formerly warring forces united in a mission for a decades long journey to return to earth after being stranded in a distant quadrant.  It's a lot like us, now.

Many of the characters and episodes are stoogey, as one would expect from any Star Trek endeavor.  If you start at the beginning of the series, chracter development gets respectable by season 4, and continues to build.  I've been watching it from start to finish with my 7-year old boy and it's like we're both the same age when we do.  Fun!

If you're a fan of The Borg, this is the series that has it all.  If your into strongly independent Borg babes- 7 of 9, say no more.  Because my son is visiting grandparents, I watched the series finale today, messing with the temporal agreement he and I have to watch each episode in succession- it made me weep.  End transmission.

Spoiler Video Follows!!!
Final Scene, Season 7

Star Trek Voyager : Endgame - Final Scene

BobGrau

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 04, 2011, 12:28:51 PM

Fear not - a true nerd would have it on dvd...
... I mean blu-ray...
... I mean blu-ray AND dvd...

QuoteIf you start at the beginning of the series, chracter development gets respectable by season 4

this is the formula for enjoying any trek series

EvB

Quote from: aldousburbank on July 04, 2011, 12:28:51 PM

Netflix is now streaming Star Trek Voyager, 7 seasons.  Ian has referred to himself as the Captain Janeway of the Coast franchise.  The series is less about space and aliens, and more about humanistic elements of getting along.  Formerly warring forces united in a mission for a decades long journey to return to earth after being stranded in a distant quadrant.  It's a lot like us, now.

thanks so much for letting me know.  It's going to the top of my que Right Now!

EvB

also - if you want another good TV show to look for - try Treme

timpate

b_dubb

Quote from: timpate on July 06, 2011, 01:34:41 AM
Watched that movie Kick Ass. LOL lots of fun.
i honestly was in DISBELIEF during a good chunk of that movie.  i just couldn't believe what i was seeing.  it snuck up on me too.  like an 11 year old female gymnast that was trained in ninjitsu, swordfighting, and firearms

holy shit.  i repeat: it should have been called Hit Girl

BobGrau

Human Highway. I forget what year.

I'm sorry to say that this is probably the worst movie I ever saw.
and not in a good way.

H U M A N H I G H W A Y t r a i l e r

Neil Young, Dennis Hopper, DEVO working in a nuclear power plant, Al from Quantum Leap, it should have been awesome.

God I'm so depressed. I might have to go listen to noory.

Theodoric

Quote from: BobGrau on July 13, 2011, 02:54:39 PM
Human Highway. I forget what year.

I'm sorry to say that this is probably the worst movie I ever saw.
and not in a good way.

H U M A N H I G H W A Y t r a i l e r

Neil Young, Dennis Hopper, DEVO working in a nuclear power plant, Al from Quantum Leap, it should have been awesome.

God I'm so depressed. I might have to go listen to noory.

Thank you very much. I feel like I just had a seizure, but that was one of those movies that are so bad that it becomes so good.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: JustOneFix on May 06, 2011, 10:25:01 PM
Watched "The Aviator" a couple days ago and was not at all impressed with the film. Leonard DiCaprizo doesn't look anything like Howard Hughes and he just made an absolute abortion of a film.

Lots of errors too, but I'll attribute that to 'artistic creativity'. Simply put the film was mainstreamed and sensationalized for mass appeal.
also, while i've never seen it, it's my understanding the film doesn't even cover the most interesting period of hughes' life... the "piss in a bottle" years.  THAT'S what i want to see a movie about.  nabila ordered the aviator from netflix, and it's still sitting on my coffee table 3 months later.  hasn't been spun up ONCE by either of us.  i need to go ahead and get that crap sent back.

onan

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 13, 2011, 03:47:53 AM
also, while i've never seen it, it's my understanding the film doesn't even cover the most interesting period of hughes' life... the "piss in a bottle" years.  THAT'S what i want to see a movie about.  nabila ordered the aviator from netflix, and it's still sitting on my coffee table 3 months later.  hasn't been spun up ONCE by either of us.  i need to go ahead and get that crap sent back.

I saw it some time ago. I thought it was ok. I mean Kate Beckinsale fer chrissakes. But yeah the movie overall wasn't as in depth as I would have liked. Then again it was Howard Hughes... 3 movies couldn't cover his life. I think Scorsese is a very talented movie maker. If he can't get the story told I doubt many could. Leonardo is a better actor than most of his gang. But there are definitely better actors to play Hughes.

give the movie a try I mean hell it is on your coffee table. ROFL listen to me... I bought Munich right after it was released... still haven't unwrapped it... yeah imma hypocrite.

Frys Girl

I watched "Wife vs. Secretary" on AMC. What a great movie. I also watched another oldie called "Parrish Maclean" .... I think? It was about rival tobacco families.

HAL 9000

The Kennedy's

I read a few articles about a week ago, chronicling Caroline Kennedy's successful effort to squash airing a mini-series about the Kennedy family - reports vary as to the veracity of this account - but it appears that perhaps in exchange for the series NOT being shown in the US, Caroline has released audio tapes her mother (Jackie) made shortly after JFK's assassination, to ABC. A book has also been written based on the tapes, to be released in September. The tapes were originally only to be released 50 years after Jackie's death, but Caroline has released them after only 17 years. There is much speculation as to their true content.

I've never been a fan of the Kennedy's - in fact I generally despise their history and influence in American politics. The mini-series was, though originally scheduled to be shown on the History channel - it appears pressure was brought to bear to have it banned from American TV - but the rights were purchased, and was shown outside the US. I tracked down the files, and found the mini-series on the web.

I am up to episode 4, and am enjoying it so far - I have found it to be generally historically accurate. It is not a documentary, so artistic license must be taken into account. You can download the mini-series yourself at the links below. If you have a newer TV that accepts movies from a USB port, these avi files will work just fine on your TV - otherwise, you can watch on your computer.

https://www.rapidshare.com/files/276723340/The.Kennedys.Episode.01.avi
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/945923423/The.Kennedys.Episode.02.avi
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/957127140/The.Kennedys.Episode.03.avi
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/392915911/The.Kennedys.Episode.04.avi
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/852335754/The.Kennedys.Episode.05.avi
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/2652725210/The.Kennedys.Episode.06.avi
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/3695270051/The.Kennedys.Episode.07.avi
https://www.rapidshare.com/files/3519851738/The.Kennedys.Episode.08.avi

:)

Camper

I rented the first three seasons of Breaking Bad from Blockbuster and got hooked. It's in season four now and season five will be the final season. Sunday nights on AMC. If you haven't seen it yet I would highly recommend starting at the beginning. A great show!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 16, 2011, 12:50:11 AM
The Kennedy's

:)

found the series streaming on Netflix. thank you for the avi files. the quality copies you have provided have now been converted to dpg format for my DSLite.  8)

b_dubb

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Warehouse 13

i can't begin to explain how awesome "R U B B E R" really is.  i mean ... the movie is about a serial killer tire.  how awesome is that

also ... "American Astronaut".  like "Rocky Horror ... " in space and directed by David Lynch. 

Eddie Coyle

In the past week... "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid"
                                   "Living in the Material World" (2 part doc on George Harrison)
                                    "Cops and Robbers" (1973 caper flick)
                                    "A Clockwork Orange"( because I can't resist)

Not coincidentally, I watched all of the above between 1 am and 5 am EST.

Silent

I recently bought Dances with Wolves on Blu-Ray and watched it.  It had been quite a number of years since my last viewing and I don't think I had ever seen the extended version that is now available.  I forgot how great this movie is.  Most memorable movies will put you through a bunch of emotions, that's why we love them, but I don't think any movie gets me as mad as this one when those guys start shooting at Two Socks.  It's one of those scenes where I almost forget I'm even watching a movie and want to run and help him.

Also, the Blu-Ray transfer is simply awesome for anyone who might care.

Silent

I've been watching quite a few movies lately and wanted to mention one more.  I had Netflix send me Winged Migration because I read something about it online and it sounded interesting.  I've never seen anything quite like this film.  I wouldn't call it a documentary, there's very little dialogue, and it's not a traditional scripted movie.  It's pretty much just a camera that flys around with birds from all over the world.  From the opening scene all I kept wondering is how the hell are they doing that??  I'll admit the movie drags out a bit.  You can only watch flying birds for so long before feeling like there's nothing else to see.  But there's momements all the way through to the end that make it worth it.

If you saw this and you're like me you immediately hit the extra features and even the internet to find out how they filmed this.  To my eventual dismay the extra features shows exactly how they do it and in extreme detail.  I say dismay because it took away part of what I really loved about the movie.  So I urge anyone who might see this, don't investigate and skip the extras!  The film is real, nothing is faked at all, and I would just leave it at that.

It's definately worth a rental for anyone who likes nature films or birds.  You'll get a front row seat right with them flying in formation all over the world.  The surround sound really adds to the fun.

Eddie Coyle

Mick Jagger in 1970's "Ned Kelly"...not very good.