• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: b_dubb on January 07, 2011, 12:41:04 AM
Zardoz is a largely unknown classic.  an excellent film. 

i also recommend watching the ORIGINAL Wicker Man ... from the Hammer studios.  not the enormous fuck up sequel that starred Nicolas "Over paid/Over rated" Cage
Wicker Man. I have seen the original. It was..... unnerving. Didn't bother to see the other you mentioned.

b_dubb

i just watched "Project Endgame".  twisted.  bizarre.  darkly hysterical.  highly recommended

along the same lines ... though much less violent ... i recommend "Visioneers".  highly

I have finally watched this series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Machines

I think the Saturn V was the one thing that got me interested in aerospace engineering. Although I never made it to work directly for NASA, I did get to mess around with many things that supports NASA.
The series not only tells the Apollo story, but it interviews those involved. It explains all the complicated things without beating you over the head with a slipstick.  8)

MV/Liberace!

just finished watching a documentary called don't you forget about me.  it's about 80s teen film director john hughes and his mysterious departure from the hollywood scene in the early 90s.  these douche bags from canada spend the entire film NOT getting an interview with hughes...

and then hughes dies.

what a shit film.

aldousburbank

In probably the worst viewing sequencing ever cued, I watched "Ben Hur" (1959) followed soon thereafter by "Paul McCartney Really Is Dead, The Last Testament of George Harrison?" (2010).  The latter is as poorly done as the former is great.  Practically a reverse image in production values, possibly causing whiplash to my suspension of disbelief like a cinematic Hummer-Limo mashing up a Vespa.  Ugly and not recommended for viewing by any moderately reasonable or intelligent person.  The director/producer is this yo Joel Gilbert, (who I believe was interviewed by Ian), and let me tell you, this story is so brain dead that they should let George N FknGenius interview the guy.  I would have loved to believe the bs just for fun really 5 minutes into the alleged Harrison narrated script you pretty much want to kill yourself.  I mean this Einstein evens phonies up the archived interview soundtracks of Harrison's pronunciations of "Paul", to sound like "Faul", or "False Paul".  A great case against movie making software for the masses.  And sad about the waste of pits on however many DVDs they actually made of this dredge.  Horrible.

My latest most enjoyable viewings have been "When Do We Eat" (2005) and my 5th or 6th viewing of "Galaxy Quest" (1999, the true teachings of the essence of being, cleverly hidden inside a crackup, sci-fi comedy that you can enjoy with kids, IMO)

BTW, IF McCartney IS a double, MI5 operative and all that bilge, then he's doing a great job don't you think?  Way better than the original, if you like that sort of thing.  In the spirit of full disclosure, the Burbank compound is just a skip up yonder wash from his ranch, where Linda passed, and which MPL Communications (Sir Paul) still owns.  It's a beautiful but not extravagant place in a gorgeous location.  Not much traffic these days but an occasional large group of cars can be there at times and the not too frequent chopper touchdown.  I wonder if I could get a job as a rock star double?

JustOneFix

Ice Station Zebra- 1968 (Had to see why Howard Hughes watched this movie 130 times, it was good but not that good)

b_dubb

Quote from: JustOneFix on February 19, 2011, 09:20:09 PM
Ice Station Zebra- 1968 (Had to see why Howard Hughes watched this movie 130 times, it was good but not that good)
OCD.  that's why you watch a movie 130 times

JustOneFix

Quote from: b_dubb on February 19, 2011, 09:29:49 PM
OCD.  that's why you watch a movie 130 times

Quite true, but the main reason he was so obsessed with it was because of the technology in the film. OCD can be a bastard, that's for sure!

b_dubb

just watched Daybreakers.  a fun schlocky horror movie with a twist or two.  fun fun fun

pepsiguy

The Taking of Pelham 123 Walter Matthau, great, perfect for this movie

Blake Edward's S.O.B.  and Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein      By the end of my day I just want to escape and laugh.  Plus, my daughter was a film studies "major" for a while, so I'm done with analyzing.  ::)  That, and I'm old.  :)

aldousburbank

For some reason I just watched "Dean Spanley", 2008.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135968/
I think many CoastGabbers would enjoy it.  Great characters, Peter O'toole stars, and it seemed to have potential to be a very good movie, but it didn't intrigue me in any particular way.  I guess I'm more of a dark comedy kind of guy.  Still recommended for the subject matter, this being reincarnation and dogs basically.  Actually it's like a father-son movie, a British comedy, a "Coming Home" type doggy show, and a spiritual awakening movie- all blended into a smoothie.  Some of you may find it more tasty than I.

Mops

Just watched The Gods Must Be Crazy II and La Jetee (1962).  Gods II was far better than the early reviews suggested.  La Jetee was the basis for 12 Monkeys.  Copies are extremely rare but someone did post the English version on YouTube.  It's only 30 minutes, and you are on your own.

Chris Marker - La JeteĢe (Engl. narrator) part 1/3

James G.

I don't watch "motion pictures," anymore, but catch some of the best "films" I've ever seen on amateur YouTube channels.

My Oscar nomination for "Best Foreign Film" of 2010 is this "jewel" I believe hails from the Sussex region of Great Britain (Brighton). A true "cinematic masterpiece" and "modern classic" if I've even seen one. I'd like to see a "Director's Cut" version down the road!:

The Icy Street Corner Of Doom

Icy Street Corner of Doom

To quote: "Hands in pockets. Bad combination." I agree.

CONTROL - Trailer

Anton Corbijn directed feature movie, Control, telling the story of Ian Curtis, singer of Joy Division. The film was premiered at the Cannes Film Festival on May 17, and won the Golden Camera - Special Mention award at the festival.
Director Anton Corbijn is famous for directing music videos for Depeche Mode, Nirvana and U2. Control is his debut in directing movie and was shot in black and white.

Joy Division were an English rock band formed in 1976 in Salford, Greater Manchester. Originally named Warsaw, the band primarily consisted of Ian Curtis (vocals and occasional guitar), Bernard Sumner (guitar and keyboards), Peter Hook (bass guitar and backing vocals) and Stephen Morris (drums and percussion).
Joy Division rapidly evolved from their initial punk rock influences to develop a sound and style that pioneered the post-punk movement of the late 1970s. According to music critic Jon Savage, the band "were not punk but were directly inspired by its energy". Their self-released 1978 debut EP, An Ideal for Living, caught the attention of the Manchester television personality Tony Wilson. Joy Division's debut album, Unknown Pleasures, was released in 1979 on Wilson's independent record label Factory Records, and drew critical acclaim from the British press. Despite the band's growing success, vocalist Ian Curtis was beset with depression and personal difficulties, and his diagnosis with epilepsy. Curtis found it increasingly difficult to perform at live concerts, and often had seizures during performances.
On the eve of the band's first American tour in May 1980, Curtis, overwhelmed with depression, committed suicide. Joy Division's posthumously released second album, Closer (1980), and the single "Love Will Tear Us Apart" became the band's highest charting releases. After the death of Curtis, the remaining members reformed as New Order, achieving critical and commercial success.

George Drooly

Quote from: James G. on March 27, 2011, 03:22:08 PM
I don't watch "motion pictures," anymore, but catch some of the best "films" I've ever seen on amateur YouTube channels.

My Oscar nomination for "Best Foreign Film" of 2010 is this "jewel" I believe hails from the Sussex region of Great Britain (Brighton). A true "cinematic masterpiece" and "modern classic" if I've even seen one. I'd like to see a "Director's Cut" version down the road!:

The Icy Street Corner Of Doom

Icy Street Corner of Doom

To quote: "Hands in pockets. Bad combination." I agree.

So those swine filming this and laughing about it must be the English equivalent of Brooklyn Hipsters. And should be sent to ovens, en masse. Young beautiful people who think they'll never age or fall victim to life's whims should not be allowed to participate in the same society as normal humans.

George Drooly

Quote from: b_dubb on April 15, 2011, 10:46:23 AM
boo.  not funny

Well, neither is two douchey young shits laughing at working people falling on ice. But yes, admittedly, in the scheme of things, one is worse than the other.

The General

I just started watching "The Pyramid Code" season one on Hulu. It's really well done, if you're into Egyptology.  It goes deep into alternative theories about what the pyramids are, how old they are, how they were made, etc.  It's done much better than most low-budget stuff I've seen on the subject.  If you are into that, check it out.  It's free on Hulu.

b_dubb

Quote from: The General on April 17, 2011, 06:38:47 PM
I just started watching "The Pyramid Code" season one on Hulu. It's really well done, if you're into Egyptology.  It goes deep into alternative theories about what the pyramids are, how old they are, how they were made, etc.  It's done much better than most low-budget stuff I've seen on the subject.  If you are into that, check it out.  It's free on Hulu.
<sarcasm>does it feature a jolly old von danicken explaining how the aliens used the pyramids as a kind of hitching post for their space chariots?  if not, then it has no ... repeat NO ... credibility</sarcasm>

The General

Quote from: b_dubb on April 17, 2011, 07:50:41 PM
<sarcasm>does it feature a jolly old von danicken explaining how the aliens used the pyramids as a kind of hitching post for their space chariots?  if not, then it has no ... repeat NO ... credibility</sarcasm>
Haha, no not YET anyway.  The main gist so far is that the pyramids were actually some kind of power station, harnessing 'subtle energy,' which I've never heard of, but the depth they go to in the episodes is really impressive.  Not necessarily believable, but impressive.  Interesting stuff, for sure.

Spent a rainy weekend indoors with TMC and OnDemand.

Loved "Ball of Fire" with Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. 

Last weekend I took my niece to see HOP.  A few guffaws.  She loved it.

b_dubb

Jar City.  an Icelandic police procedural.  i've never seen a man eat a sheeps head.  prior to watching this movie.  good movie but not exactly uplifting

b_dubb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI8UdlAw8VA&feature=player_embedded#at=43

happy jeffers morning .. tunt .. am i going to explode .. welcome to level 3 ..

you guys have to watch this.  especially if you like Zach Galifinakis

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on April 18, 2011, 10:31:00 AM
Jar City.  an Icelandic police procedural.  i've never seen a man eat a sheeps head.  prior to watching this movie.  good movie but not exactly uplifting
my wife has eaten many a sheep's head (and stomach, etc.).  i'll never understand it.  it's hard for me to believe a woman of her beauty would find pleasure in eating such a thing, but it's the moroccan way.