• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

MV/Liberace!

Lonesome Dove - 1989 - Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones

I absolutely FUCKING HATE westerns.  However, this one is epic.  I rate this as one of the best movies ever.  Definitely in my top 5.  It's technically a miniseries.  Grab it off of Netflix.  It's available streaming.  You won't regret it, I can assure you.  Make sure you have 6-7 hours to set aside.

After watching this, if you can walk away WITHOUT agreeing Duvall is absolutely untouchable, then you're sick.

onan

I like most westerns. I do agree with your opinion of Lonesome Dove. Epic it is and I still find myself quoting one or two of Duval's lines on a reguar basis.

EvB

Quote from: MV on November 19, 2010, 04:19:20 AM
Lonesome Dove - 1989 - Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones

I absolutely FUCKING HATE westerns.  However, this one is epic.  I rate this as one of the best movies ever.  Definitely in my top 5.  It's technically a miniseries.  Grab it off of Netflix.  It's available streaming.  You won't regret it, I can assure you.  Make sure you have 6-7 hours to set aside.

After watching this, if you can walk away WITHOUT agreeing Duvall is absolutely untouchable, then you're sick.

heard of it, never seen it. will check it out. thanks

Chupacabra

Adrift 1993

Katie and Guy take a sea cruise in their sailboat and discover a couple on a wrecked boat, victims of a brutal attack by their crew. They take Eliza and Nick on board. The new boarders appear nervous about returning to Honolulu, and when the boat's engines die and other little incidents occur, Katie and Guy start wondering whether the shipwrecked couple are what they appear to be

punkinpie

Yeah, it was.  It was a little gory.  I had to turn away when the guy's fingernails started falling out.  That grossed me out so bad!  Haha!

The best part is that it was a truly original story.  Every idea has been done to death in sci-fi movies, so to see something new is exciting. 

slipstream

Quote from: MV on November 19, 2010, 12:33:14 AM
Quote from: slipstream on November 18, 2010, 07:11:23 PM
I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033740/
you sure do love the classics.  i can't get nabila to watch ANY movie that's old or filmed in b&w.  she doesn't know what she's missing.

I have come across people that share nabila's sentiment.  I can't understand it.  They really do miss some of the rich treasures of the cinema.  

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on November 27, 2010, 04:43:56 PM
Quote from: MV on November 19, 2010, 12:33:14 AM
Quote from: slipstream on November 18, 2010, 07:11:23 PM
I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033740/
you sure do love the classics.  i can't get nabila to watch ANY movie that's old or filmed in b&w.  she doesn't know what she's missing.

I have come across people that share nabila's sentiment.  I can't understand it.  They really do miss some of the rich treasures of the cinema. 
the odd thing is, she really does know how to express what makes a movie good or bad.  she knows how to analyze film better than anyone i know... so this hangup of hers is totally out of left field.

b_dubb

"Citizen Kane" ... no one should go without seeing that classic. 

punkinpie

Browncoats: Redemption  http://browncoatsmovie.com/

yeah. imma huge Firefly/Joss Whedon fan. it did not have the timing of proper direction. still, it is more than a backyard production.

Browncoats: Redemption Trailer 2

Just watched "Killer Inside Me" with Casey Affleck and Kate Hudson. Dark, dark movie.

haloedorchid

Has anyone seen Inception? Overrated or worth the hype?

Quote from: haloedorchid on December 04, 2010, 04:03:39 AM
Has anyone seen Inception? Overrated or worth the hype?
go for it. i dunno about any hype. i liked it.

Quote from: b_dubb on December 04, 2010, 08:38:42 PM
Star Trek (2009).  completely awesome
i never get tired of watching it. i even made a copy for my DSLite. been a fan since i was 8 or 9. still a fan after all these years. eyup.

ringthane

I feel like an oddball during movie conversations because I'm always the @sshole that hates most movies. Well, not hate them, but so many recommendations feel completely overrated... like Usual Suspects: red herrings == good storytelling. Memento: narrative gimmicks == good stroytelling. I feel like the comic book store owner from The Simpsons when it comes to movies, I'm such sanctimonious crank and usually don't waste the time on a flick when my to read pile keeps getting taller.

I'll crawl back into my cave now...

edit -- and please, if you're a movie freak, please don't quote funny movie lines and think that makes you funny by association. And don't be that guy that has a movie quote for every possible social situation.

Quote from: ringthane on December 05, 2010, 04:23:01 AM
I feel like an oddball during movie conversations because I'm always the @sshole that hates most movies. Well, not hate them, but so many recommendations feel completely overrated... like Usual Suspects: red herrings == good storytelling. Memento: narrative gimmicks == good stroytelling. I feel like the comic book store owner from The Simpsons when it comes to movies, I'm such sanctimonious crank and usually don't waste the time on a flick when my to read pile keeps getting taller.

I'll crawl back into my cave now...

edit -- and please, if you're a movie freak, please don't quote funny movie lines and think that makes you funny by association. And don't be that guy that has a movie quote for every possible social situation.

opinion noted.
caves are cool.
literary quotes are way better... so many more places where they can be used.
thanks for visiting as the "oddball". "He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad!" -Scaramouche by Sabatini   ...  8)

valdez

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on December 05, 2010, 04:08:39 AM
i never get tired of watching it. i even made a copy for my DSLite. been a fan since i was 8 or 9. still a fan after all these years. eyup.
It's the Trek movie I've been waiting on for years.  One that doesn't suck.

punkinpie

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.  It's a documentary about a white trash family.  It made me feel better about my trips to Walmart.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on December 05, 2010, 06:47:30 AM
Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on December 05, 2010, 04:08:39 AM
It's the Trek movie I've been waiting on for years.  One that doesn't suck.
u mean to tell me u didn't like star trek generations????

b_dubb

TNG the show was 93% trash.  especially the episode where Tasha Yar is killed by the giant oil monster.  just silly.  some of the TNG movies were pretty good - Insurrection being the exception.

but Star Trek (2009) was Trek with all the action of Star Wars and contemporary action / sci fi.  if you watch the extra content from the ST 2009 dvd, you'll hear some of the writers talk about how combat in the old Star Trek was like submarine warfare. 

there's a reason Paramount let JJ Abrams basically start over with a new Star Trek story line.  its because the men who went before (after Roddenberry or more specifically after the Voyage Home) really screwed things up

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on December 06, 2010, 12:45:54 AM
TNG the show was 93% trash.  especially the episode where Tasha Yar is killed by the giant oil monster.  just silly.  some of the TNG movies were pretty good - Insurrection being the exception.

but Star Trek (2009) was Trek with all the action of Star Wars and contemporary action / sci fi.  if you watch the extra content from the ST 2009 dvd, you'll hear some of the writers talk about how combat in the old Star Trek was like submarine warfare. 

there's a reason Paramount let JJ Abrams basically start over with a new Star Trek story line.  its because the men who went before (after Roddenberry or more specifically after the Voyage Home) really screwed things up
wow!!  i couldn't disagree more, at least as it relates to TNG.   i thought the series ROCKED so much harder than any other title in the star trek franchise.  however, i'll give you this:  the first season of TNG sucked, and the death of tasha yar was one of the happiest moments of my TNG viewing life.  i just HATED her character so much.  her whole, "look at me.  i'm a strong woman..." shtick was just too much... and that was the EXTENT of her character's depth.

i've come to love the original series, and my love for TNG has only grown over the years.  i felt like TNG improved after the death of roddenberry. 

yes, i know that last statement will result in an anthrax package or two in my mailbox.

b_dubb

Inception was cool but I don't think it merits an Academy Award nomination

b_dubb

Quote from: Evil Twin of ZenThe gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth . . . and kill! -- Zardoz

Zardoz is a largely unknown classic.  an excellent film. 

i also recommend watching the ORIGINAL Wicker Man ... from the Hammer studios.  not the enormous fuck up sequel that starred Nicolas "Over paid/Over rated" Cage