• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

b_dubb

Practical Web 2.0 Projects With PHP/jQuery

my brain hurts

b_dubb

Quote from: MV on October 18, 2010, 08:31:11 PM
phan asked me if i'd seen The Men Who Stare At Goats, so i checked it out.  he didn't necessarily recommend it.  he merely asked if i'd seen it. 

i finally got around to watching it without interruption a few days ago.

i didn't particularly enjoy it.  i wasn't able to bring myself to invest in the characters, and the subject/start of the movie suggested something more than it ended up delivering.  for most of the film, i couldn't determine whether i was supposed to perceive it as a parody of something or as a serious story in its self with lofty implications.  i'm also not a huge clooney fan, to be honest.  his personal pursuits tend to take me out of a/the movie to a degree.

a generous three stars.
i thought this was a fun ride.  i can totally see the military doing all kinds of crazy shit just because they heard some intelligence indicating that the Soviets were doing same crazy shit.  hysterical. 

beware the defense/industrial complex.  they will destroy your goats

The Christpher Walken version of Puss in Boots (on hulu).

Quote from: b_dubb on October 18, 2010, 08:45:47 PM
Quote from: MV on October 18, 2010, 08:31:11 PM
phan asked me if i'd seen The Men Who Stare At Goats, so i checked it out.  he didn't necessarily recommend it.  he merely asked if i'd seen it. 

i finally got around to watching it without interruption a few days ago.

i didn't particularly enjoy it.  i wasn't able to bring myself to invest in the characters, and the subject/start of the movie suggested something more than it ended up delivering.  for most of the film, i couldn't determine whether i was supposed to perceive it as a parody of something or as a serious story in its self with lofty implications.  i'm also not a huge clooney fan, to be honest.  his personal pursuits tend to take me out of a/the movie to a degree.

a generous three stars.
i thought this was a fun ride.  i can totally see the military doing all kinds of crazy shit just because they heard some intelligence indicating that the Soviets were doing same crazy shit.  hysterical. 

beware the defense/industrial complex.  they will destroy your goats

I would agree with MV's summation however it seemed like a little less of a chore for me to watch.  I asked MV if he had seen it for the reason I will ask you also b_dubb - Which one of those characters, if any, is Ed Dames?  I know who I put my money on.

b_dubb

"Paranormal Activity".  worse than "Blair Witch Project".  a couple of actors are harassed by a mysterious mystery in a McMansion in an LA suburb.  ssssppoooookkkyyyy. 

but the actress is super hot so i'm still watching.  with the sound off.  but still watching

b_dubb

just finished "Survival of the Dead".  fucking horrible.  someone needs to chop off Romero's hands so he can't make any more shitty zombie movies.  if you want a GOOD zombie movie, check out "Fido". 

punkinpie

I just watched "Interview with a Vampire."  It's the first time I've seen it since I watched it in a theater. 

I remember thinking at the time that there were a lot of homosexual undertones in the scenes with Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Antonio Banderas.  This time I didn't get that impression at all.  I think I've been desensitized by "True Blood." 

b_dubb

"Rampage" ... one giant violent fantasy.  use with caution

EvB

Quote from: punkinpie on November 08, 2010, 12:10:34 PM
I just watched "Interview with a Vampire."  It's the first time I've seen it since I watched it in a theater. 

I remember thinking at the time that there were a lot of homosexual undertones in the scenes with Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Antonio Banderas.  This time I didn't get that impression at all.  I think I've been desensitized by "True Blood."

Vampire stories are often homo-erotic.  I did, and do, get that form Interview. 

b_dubb

Quote from: EvB on November 08, 2010, 06:44:56 PM
Quote from: punkinpie on November 08, 2010, 12:10:34 PM

Vampire stories are often homo-erotic.  I did, and do, get that form Interview.

you mean you got that from Tom Cruise

EvB

Quoteyou mean you got that from Tom Cruise

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll . . . that's a side issue.  >grin<

I think it's in the story.

b_dubb

The Crazies - the remake.  the original is kind of lame

onan

I just watched "SpyGame" with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt. It was on Encore. dont remember the year think it was made in 2001 Liked it.

What I would recommend is an independent film from last year... got very little notice... I caught it on Hulu a few months ago. Ink is the title, spooky, thoughtful, some humor and a good couple of tender moments.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/116313/ink

punkinpie

Quote from: b_dubb on November 09, 2010, 11:52:59 AM
The Crazies - the remake.  the original is kind of lame

That was a pretty decent horror flick. 

b_dubb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377061/

"I'll Believe You" .  a show about a guy who hosts a night time radio show about paranormal stuff.  not the greatest movie ever but fun.  and some surprising cameos

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: philburger1 on November 16, 2010, 07:10:23 AM
We are using Canon Digital SLR cameras, the 5D and 7D, which allows you to shoot these great film like images for a very low cost. Using that and Adobe Premiere and After Effects, you can get some nifty looks.
wow, i would never have known the difference.  amazing how you no longer need to buy a $100,000 HD camera to film a movie.  anybody can do it.  it's no longer so much about the hardware as it is about telling a story, which is how it ought to be.  congrats to you. i hope you'll let us all know when/where/how we can see it.

b_dubb

they made Evil Dead with a 16mm film camera and a cabin in the wilderness of North Carolina

b_dubb

i'm not a fan of gory flicks like Saw.  i've seen one of the Saw movies - not sure which one.  i'm not a fan.  i'm surprised i bothered watching.  must have been super bored.  i am a fan of classic horror.  Halloween (really a thriller in my opinion) and Phantasm.  the old Hammer horror movies

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on November 17, 2010, 03:01:05 AM
i'm not a fan of gory flicks like Saw.  i've seen one of the Saw movies - not sure which one.  i'm not a fan.  i'm surprised i bothered watching.  must have been super bored.  i am a fan of classic horror.  Halloween (really a thriller in my opinion) and Phantasm.  the old Hammer horror movies
i do enjoy intellectually frightening movies, but Saw and movies of its ilk are ridiculous.  i'm not a fan of gratuitous violence in film.  as a former 911 operator and truck driver, i've been exposed to my fill of death and dismemberment.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: philburger1 on November 17, 2010, 02:22:33 PM
Quote from: MV on November 16, 2010, 03:43:24 PM
wow, i would never have known the difference.  amazing how you no longer need to buy a $100,000 HD camera to film a movie.  anybody can do it.  it's no longer so much about the hardware as it is about telling a story, which is how it ought to be.  congrats to you. i hope you'll let us all know when/where/how we can see it.

Yeah originally I was just going try and sell the script, but after seeing what these cameras could do, I thought what the hell, let's give it a try. You really have to know how to work the cameras though. We have a great DP and we can take my ideas and sketches and run with it.
We hope to pick up shooting again after the holidays.  :)
where are you filming?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on November 18, 2010, 07:11:23 PM
I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033740/
you sure do love the classics.  i can't get nabila to watch ANY movie that's old or filmed in b&w.  she doesn't know what she's missing.