• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

MV/Liberace!

just finished with the new star trek movie.  while i was not particularly amazed by it, it did exceed my expectations.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on December 25, 2009, 01:04:00 AM
just finished with the new star trek movie.  while i was not particularly amazed by it, it did exceed my expectations.

Yeah.  The alternate time-line thing was a little distracting or disappointing for the more traditional trekkers.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on December 25, 2009, 01:59:17 AM
Yeah.  The alternate time-line thing was a little distracting or disappointing for the more traditional trekkers.
now that you mention it, that is specifically what disappointed me on a subconscious level.

Caruthers612

"Five Minutes of Heaven" (Big Fish Films, 2009), starring Liam Neeson and James Nesbitt. An Irish film, very powerful and featuring stupendous performances. Highly recommended.

M

MV/Liberace!

nabila and i saw avatar last night.

if you don't see this movie in 3D, then don't see it.  the story stinks on ice.

typical hollywood anti-war and anti-corporation message in which a big evil company seeks to displace/kill a bunch of indigenous beings on another planet in pursuit of some poorly named substance called unobtainium.  bleh.  they even use terms like "win hearts and minds" in discussing plans against their prospective victims.  they're obviously attempting to draw a comparison with real life which i found to be somewhat less than impressive.

note to film makers:  while spending so much money and time on technical achievement, consider investing some in your story.  please.

MV/Liberace!

nabila and i just wrapped up a viewing of alice in wonderland.

my quick capsule review: piece of shit.

she concurs.

thank you.

Quote from: MV on March 15, 2010, 08:42:27 PM
nabila and i just wrapped up a viewing of alice in wonderland.

my quick capsule review: piece of shit.

she concurs.

thank you.

So I hear...x.x

Dr.Parnassuss kinda sucked too. The one Heath Ledger died filming. Just saw it. Enh.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on March 28, 2010, 08:18:34 PM
Dr.Parnassuss kinda sucked too. The one Heath Ledger died filming. Just saw it. Enh.
doesn't surprise me.  i didn't understand the fascination people suddenly had with him upon his death other than the usual human tendency to politely say nice things about the dead.  myself, i never particularly rated him as an actor.

and good to see you around, pka.

tmock00

Just watched Brothers, starring Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman and Jake Gyllenhall. I thought it was a good movie.  Has anyone else seen it? 

MV/Liberace!

300.  i don't recommend it.  it was a "not so epic" film trying to appear otherwise.

MV/Liberace!

nabila and i are plowing through lord of the rings.  just wrapped up the first film.  i've seen it a zillion times.  this is nabila's first.  i could watch the trilogy a zillion more.  it has everything an epic should have. 

5 stars.

MV/Liberace!

Another You. 1991.  Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.  Final film of the duo.  Absolutely awful.  A story that goes nowhere, poor acting by Pryor who looked clearly to be suffering from the effects of multiple sclerosis by this point, and just a generally poor execution in every way.  I made it through 75% of this movie and could not continue.  Absolutely horrid. Take a look for yourself.

slipstream

Counsellor at Law (1933)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023911/

An absolutely wonderful film.
I'm going to have to watch it again soon.

MV/Liberace!

Trailer Park Boys: The Movie

Recommended by Tim Pate.

I was pleasantly surprised.  It's a deceptively smart comedy. 

I give it my stamp of recommendation.

EvB

Quote from: MV on May 27, 2010, 03:20:47 PM
300.  i don't recommend it.  it was a "not so epic" film trying to appear otherwise.

right into the valley of death, eh?  No, wait - that's the 600.

Quote from: MV on September 24, 2010, 08:46:39 PM

Recommended by Tim Pate.

You need to start watching the series if you can find it on Netflix.  Also, the second TPB movie is on Netflix.  But I suggest watching the series first, eh.  That way you can really get to appreciate and know characters like cheeseburger Randy and "fucking Lahey", and better apprecite the arc their characters have taken in the second film.  But the series is the best.

Quote from: MV on June 01, 2010, 05:00:40 AM
nabila and i are plowing through lord of the rings.  just wrapped up the first film.  i've seen it a zillion times.  this is nabila's first.  i could watch the trilogy a zillion more.  it has everything an epic should have. 

5 stars.

But too much Elijah Wood.  His ham(il) essence, his twinkly eyes, and his forced smiles ruined Frodo for me.

b_dubb

i loved "The Fantastic Mr. Fox".  but i love all of Wes Anderson's flicks.  except "Darjeeling Express". 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 28, 2010, 04:58:11 PM
Quote from: MV on September 24, 2010, 08:46:39 PM

Recommended by Tim Pate.

You need to start watching the series if you can find it on Netflix.  Also, the second TPB movie is on Netflix.  But I suggest watching the series first, eh.  That way you can really get to appreciate and know characters like cheeseburger Randy and "fucking Lahey", and better apprecite the arc their characters have taken in the second film.  But the series is the best.

Quote from: MV on June 01, 2010, 05:00:40 AM

5 stars.

But too much Elijah Wood.  His ham(il) essence, his twinkly eyes, and his forced smiles ruined Frodo for me.
i would have to say, if the trilogy has ANY weaknesses, elijah wood would be one.  and you're right on with the forced smiles.

MV/Liberace!

The Machinist

Starring Christian Bale

Predictable, formulaic bilge.

Two stars.

MV/Liberace!

phan asked me if i'd seen The Men Who Stare At Goats, so i checked it out.  he didn't necessarily recommend it.  he merely asked if i'd seen it. 

i finally got around to watching it without interruption a few days ago.

i didn't particularly enjoy it.  i wasn't able to bring myself to invest in the characters, and the subject/start of the movie suggested something more than it ended up delivering.  for most of the film, i couldn't determine whether i was supposed to perceive it as a parody of something or as a serious story in its self with lofty implications.  i'm also not a huge clooney fan, to be honest.  his personal pursuits tend to take me out of a/the movie to a degree.

a generous three stars.