• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

MV/Liberace!

i need some help figuring out the name of a movie i saw (i think maybe on AMC) back in 2001.  it's about this guy and his wife who move into a levittown-ish neighborhood following ww2.  slowly they begin to get chummy with their neighbors and all kinds of bad shit starts to happen between this couple and the neighbors.  i think the movie was probably made in the late 50s or early 60s.  i'd love to see this movie again.  any ideas?  i've been trying to figure this out for a long time.

Frys Girl

Oh wow. I want to know the name of this movie! MV tell us if you find out. It sounds cool.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on January 02, 2009, 11:29:02 AM
Oh wow. I want to know the name of this movie! MV tell us if you find out. It sounds cool.
shit.  i just came back to this thread after several days of ignoring it, only to find nobody seems to have figured this out for me.

hmm.......  back to the drawing board.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 01, 2009, 10:52:46 PM
i need some help figuring out the name of a movie i saw (i think maybe on AMC) back in 2001.  it's about this guy and his wife who move into a levittown-ish neighborhood following ww2.  slowly they begin to get chummy with their neighbors and all kinds of bad shit starts to happen between this couple and the neighbors.  i think the movie was probably made in the late 50s or early 60s.  i'd love to see this movie again.  any ideas?  i've been trying to figure this out for a long time.

Try to get more specific.  What kind of bad shit?  Describe the couple/actors etc. 

Centurion73

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on January 06, 2009, 10:35:52 AM
shit.  i just came back to this thread after several days of ignoring it, only to find nobody seems to have figured this out for me.

hmm.......  back to the drawing board.

Try emailing AMC or look at the movie play list from them if you know the year you saw it, worse thing they can do is not answer your email.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on January 27, 2009, 12:29:40 AM
Try to get more specific.  What kind of bad shit?  Describe the couple/actors etc.
it's hard to say after 5 years and lots of pot.  i DO recall a particular scene where somebody was working under a car and i think the car falls on the guy working under it.  i don't remember if one of the characters caused the car to fall or not.

i remember the husband got a simple job at what i think was a gas station.  maybe a shoe store.  no... i think it was a gas station.  haha... this is frustrating.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 03, 2009, 12:56:44 AM
it's hard to say after 5 years and lots of pot.
correction:
make that 8 years... and LOTS of pot.

thank you.

A Whole Bunch of Fucking Movies Since My Last Post On This Thread - 1929 to 2008

EvB

I keep losing track of this thread - so haven't posted most of what I've seen.  However, I just had the pleasure of seeing a really wonderful film: 

THE READER.  2008/2009

Far from light fair- it's a unique perspective on life in Germany post WWII - It's about "real" people - not black-or-white morality. However, it's not about Holocaust denial. 

Find out more here: http://www.thereader-movie.com/  and see it if you can.

bobcollum

Quote from: danDNA on April 10, 2009, 05:39:12 AM
pill head.....

That movie is badass. Album is somewhere in my top 5 of all-time. I know this guy from Liverpool, and he told me once he was on a bus with a girl he liked and a few of his friends when a rocker got on the bus....after a couple of stops, they got up to leave when my friend, wanting to impress his girl, turned toward the guy and said *heavy british accent* "Don't fuck with the mods.".

The guy laughed at him, and my friend got off the bus....true story. I did see all of his pictures with his buddies and their Vespas, pretty cool.

The most recent movie I saw was Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke, classic. I think the one previous to that was The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Up next will apparently be the Big Lebowski.

Los cronocr?menes (English: Timecrimes) (2007)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/

An American remake is coming in 2011. I absolutely love the idea for this movie. Any fan of time travel, continuity, and paradox will love it as well.

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on April 11, 2009, 09:56:42 AM
Los cronocr?menes (English: Timecrimes) (2007)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/

An American remake is coming in 2011. I absolutely love the idea for this movie. Any fan of time travel, continuity, and paradox will love it as well.

They just show it at my school yesterday for the school's Friday night film series.  I didn't get to see it, but I REALLY did want to.  Now I'm even more upset I didn't see it.

bobcollum

QuoteNow I'm even more upset I didn't see it.

After reading though this thread, i'm shocked there is one that got by you.

I'd like to mention your kick-ass avatar. I still fondly remember that day, and afterwards explaning to people I worked with what the hell a mooninite was....good times.

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 12, 2009, 02:25:01 AM
They just show it at my school yesterday for the school's Friday night film series.  I didn't get to see it, but I REALLY did want to.  Now I'm even more upset I didn't see it.

Aw man, definitely check it out when you get another chance. The english dubbed version seems a little silly at first, but the film has such sparse dialogue that it doesn't really hamper the seriousness of the situation. At times even, it makes the general feeling of things more difficult to ascertain - which actually adds to the nature of the movie, IMO. You won't be in the second half and already feel bored, because that's where it really gets going. Anyways, I think it's a great movie. Definitely something different.

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on April 12, 2009, 02:05:02 PM
Aw man, definitely check it out when you get another chance. The english dubbed version seems a little silly at first, but the film has such sparse dialogue that it doesn't really hamper the seriousness of the situation. At times even, it makes the general feeling of things more difficult to ascertain - which actually adds to the nature of the movie, IMO. You won't be in the second half and already feel bored, because that's where it really gets going. Anyways, I think it's a great movie. Definitely something different.

I'm sure I'm gonna get a run down of it this Thursday from my buddy in film class.  In fact, I'll go to the film profs office tomorrow after I'm done class and watch it in his office if he still has it.

Caruthers612

A thread for recommending not simply a film/movie you like, but one just recently seen, so's the rest of us what can be's aware uv it.

I'll start it off today with a loovly Oyrish film what oy jus' seen called "Kisses."

M

MV/Liberace!

actually, a very robust thread on this very subject already exists.  i'll merrrrrrge yours with that one.

MV/Liberace!

glad you revived this thread.

last night... ummm... yeah, i watched return to oz.

insert homosexual joke here.