• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Caruthers612

I just re-watched M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs". It was like the third time I've seen it, but hadn't watched it in a long time. So well done. I always wondered how many people thought this was a movie about an alien invasion, a new take on War of the Worlds. In truth, in my opinion, it was a movie about faith. And, implicitly, about family. As good authors and playwrights have done since ancient times, Night used the paranormal or supernatural or, in this case, sci fi, as a backdrop against which to tell a very human story, one about two of the most core human values: faith and family. Notice that essentially the entire film took place in that house and the only real players were the family members. Values, priorities, a reminder of what really matters.
       An aside: I heard some time ago a comment from Night that he intends to return to his original genre or style of storytelling/filmmaking. Apparently the lack or artistic and commercial success of his last film seems to have kind of reminded him of what he does best. I did like "The Village", though, very much.

M, what is secretly responsible for all the crop circles

danDNA

just watched Gomorrah, Italian film about the Naples mafia - absolutely shocking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/

and That Obscure Object of Desire, by Luis Bu?uel. classic surrealism.

Quote from: danDNA on November 09, 2008, 06:14:29 AM
just watched Gomorrah, Italian film about the Naples mafia - absolutely shocking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929425/

and That Obscure Object of Desire, by Luis Bu?uel. classic surrealism.

That Gomorrah movie is supposed to be amazing, as is the book it's stemmed from.  I listened to a show on NPR about it, and I'd like to check it out.  Gald to hear a positive review.

Frys Girl

Flawless (2008) Demi Moore and Michael Caine. Wow! I thought it would suck, but it didn't. Stealing diamonds is what I need to learn to do.

EvB

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 09, 2008, 02:56:20 PM
Flawless (2008) Demi Moore and Michael Caine. Wow! I thought it would suck, but it didn't. Stealing diamonds is what I need to learn to do.

Not if you value your life!   LOL!    :o

Spikegirl

Quote from: Frys Girl on November 09, 2008, 02:56:20 PM

Diamonds are bad.  :(

EvB

Quote from: Spikegirl on November 09, 2008, 04:49:10 PM
Diamonds are bad.  :(

Which is where my comment came from - but then, there is so much more to it than personal danger.

Spikegirl

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2008, 01:46:56 AM
John Adams - 2008 disc 1

How  about a little less t.v. watching and a little more posting at GNS? You never post anymore and some of us are going into withdrawl!  ;D

EvB

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2008, 06:52:53 PM
The Happening - 2008

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/camazotz_automat/skullflicker.gif

;)
Re: The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

You poor dear - are you alright?

I was so disappointed in that one.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2008

Caruthers612

I just finished watching The Mommy Returns: Tomb of the Dwagon Emperor. Yes, I admit I watched it. I was surprised at how good it was for what it was, mindless Indiana Jones entertainment. For starters, I'll watch anything with Jet Li in it--even the forthcoming Hello Kitty epic, in which Li plays the titles role, lead gangster Hello Kitty. And, once again, I was reminded of the extraordinary beauty of Maria Bello--though her attempt at a British accent nearly caused my system to meltdown. But she is truly beautiful, loved her in A History of Violence. Now if only she'd grow some breasts.

M

"The Prestige" - 2006

This was, quite possibly, the greatest piece of film I have ever seen.

The tagline: A friendship that became a rivalry. A rivalry that turned deadly.

The synopsis: A mysterious story of two magicians whose intense rivalry leads them on a life-long battle for supremacy -- full of obsession, deceit and jealousy with dangerous and deadly consequences for themselves and everyone around them. Starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman. Directed by Christopher Nolan.

Categorized as: Drama | Fantasy | Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller

If you want a damn good movie you won't ever forget, that also teaches you a lot about magic tricks, I invite you to check it out. It's got my A+ seal of approval. And apparently, IMDB agrees. 8.4/10 - with an astonishing 140,000 votes.

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on November 17, 2008, 01:48:52 AM
"The Prestige" - 2006

This was, quite possibly, the greatest piece of film I have ever seen.

The tagline: A friendship that became a rivalry. A rivalry that turned deadly.

I adored this movie also.  My son recommended it to me after I'd seen The Illusionist -and liked it well enough.  It was fun, but more of a classic fairy tale  - and I also feel that Norton (whom I admire as an actor) was miscast in this one.

The thing is, I think it will be a long time before The Illusionist can be fairly judged - The Prestige blew it so far out of the water - and had a similar enough feel, period and (partly) theme that I wouldn't know how to think of one, other than in comparison to the other.  In that context - The Illusionist comes off more badly than it deserves.

Quote from: EvB on November 17, 2008, 07:32:21 AM
I adored this movie also.  My son recommended it to me after I'd seen The Illusionist -and liked it well enough.  It was fun, but more of a classic fairy tale  - and I also feel that Norton (whom I admire as an actor) was miscast in this one.

The thing is, I think it will be a long time before The Illusionist can be fairly judged - The Prestige blew it so far out of the water - and had a similar enough feel, period and (partly) theme that I wouldn't know how to think of one, other than in comparison to the other.  In that context - The Illusionist comes off more badly than it deserves.

Yes, I have seen the Illusionist as well and despite it's greatness - seeing "The Prestige" just blew it out of the water, as you said. However, by itself, without comparing it to this, it was an amazing film in it's own right as well.

Mad Men - 2007 Season 1 Disc 3

Dexter - 2008 Season 3 Episode 7