• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

GravitySucks

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 16, 2018, 11:49:04 AM
No bigger turn off than someone voting or speaking for me. Best on your new nuptials.  :)
PS how are you resolving the difference in the two of your political views?  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQK4i_AyNE

Quote from: Bluejay on May 16, 2018, 11:28:21 AM
Respectfully challenge when your BS-meter detects the opportunity.   ;).

Keep one of these handy.

dsz

Quote from: timebandit on May 16, 2018, 11:49:43 AM
psychotic?

There you go. Not Good Dave, Darkness Dave, or disco Dave, but psycho Dave. Except Heather already cornered that market. Plus she thinks her name is Dave now. (ceiling Art told her.)

dsz

Quote from: Pizzapunch on May 16, 2018, 11:50:05 AM
No dump button until tomorrow! An unnamed guest tonight. This guy "gets"it

I'd love to know what he did before he retired.

ponyboysunset

So yet another night of no unscreened calls? I'm sad I read that Keith edited out all of the fun phone calls on the downloads. That was the only reason to ever listen IMO. The musky bottoms stuff was funny. Immature, but funny.  :)

dsz

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 16, 2018, 10:57:24 AM
‘tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies’

i wonder what Heath is going to lie about today? thinking about it really gets my noggin joggin.

She could lie about lying about lying about lying and this reality could collapse.

Bluejay

Quote from: dsz on May 16, 2018, 11:56:48 AM
There you go. Not Good Dave, Darkness Dave, or disco Dave, but psycho Dave. Except Heather already cornered that market. Plus she thinks her name is Dave now. (ceiling Art told her.)

bellNwhistle

:o. Speaking of Fringe..

Magpie

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 16, 2018, 09:36:58 AM
So the question is, for a fringe style show, would you rather the host challenge the guests with respect or just allow the story, inaccuracies and contradiction just slide?

Should the show be total escapism or entertainment with a foot still grounded in skepticism?

Just asking for a friend. ;)

DS

I think it just depends on the guest. Playing a little friendly devils advocate is always good, but if they seem sincere and their story is compelling, dive into the crazy with them.  Wade neck deep into the weird and let the listeners try to suss it out. 

If however, the guest seems insincere, vague and you feel like they are just spinning a tall-tale to hock a book or event, by all means, challenge them.

I like the 'fringe.'  It's where all the fun happens, out there in the darkness at the edge of town.

TidePods, Dave.

dsz

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 16, 2018, 09:03:48 AM

I don’t know why she calls him a friend. I think she calls anyone she speaks to more than once a friend, but only when it is convenient.

She's the next Dave Schwartz. I wonder how barometric pressure affects Satanic rituals.

Hank

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 16, 2018, 11:39:06 AM
There needs to be a Snopes for Snopes.

It may have expired. Think it was snopesforsnopes.com used to forward to the No Agenda Show. Haha

HumanBeing

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 16, 2018, 11:16:39 AM
Art left stuff open-ended, trusting people to draw their own conclusions, and I guess that's what I'm used to.  I think you were fine last night with Atwater right up until the little sermonette at the end after she hung up.  Getting her out of her prepared patter, making her think on the air, highlighting gaps in her work -- all part of a good interview.  If you read back, people could tell you weren't totally buying it and that she was out of her comfort zone -- don't worry, we get it.  But a two-minute facile critique citing science of all things was insufficient to dismiss the two hours we just heard, some of which was fascinating, let alone her life's work.

Quote from: Magpie on May 16, 2018, 12:11:08 PM
I think it just depends on the guest. Playing a little friendly devils advocate is always good, but if they seem sincere and their story is compelling, dive into the crazy with them.  Wade neck deep into the weird and let the listeners try to suss it out. 

If however, the guest seems insincere, vague and you feel like they are just spinning a tall-tale to hock a book or event, by all means, challenge them.

I like the 'fringe.'  It's where all the fun happens, out there in the darkness at the edge of town.

TidePods, Dave.

Pretty much this.

But then there are guest like Andrew Basagio. Challenge him all you want, he won’t crack.

Knowing when to challenge and when to let it go can be tough. If it is a off the wall story like an alien next to your pizza rolls in the freezer probably better to just let crazy be crazy.

Pizzapunch

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 16, 2018, 12:08:33 PM
So Gary Mize is a black ops agent? That's scary considering he made this statement....

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Pizzapunch on May 16, 2018, 12:26:24 PM
So Gary Mize is a black ops agent? That's scary considering he made this statement....

LOL!

Sounds like just the guest for Dave.

Smoke him out, Sir!  I suggest you challenge the fuck out of this one!

Pizzapunch

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 16, 2018, 12:08:33 PM

Also it would appear the black ops agency he worked for must of had a shitty retirement plan. Former black ops agents working at Wal-Mart to make ends meet? That's a damn tragedy.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Pizzapunch on May 16, 2018, 12:48:26 PM
Also it would appear the black ops agency he worked for must of had a shitty retirement plan. Former black ops agents working at Wal-Mart to make ends meet? That's a damn tragedy.

I thought the person posting all of the screenshots- or another commenter- made an interesting point. Black Ops security.. aren’t they kinda their own security? I have no idea. You tell me. That’s just my assumption.

chefist

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 16, 2018, 12:52:14 PM
I thought the person posting all of the screenshots- or another commenter- made an interesting point. Black Ops security.. aren’t they kinda their own security? I have no idea. You tell me. That’s just my assumption.

People in that line of work never talk about their line of work...

LadyFish

Just saw on HLWs legacy site who her guest is tonight: David Adair.

Is that a joke? Did her website get hacked?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: LadyFish on May 16, 2018, 12:59:56 PM
Just saw on HLWs legacy site who her guest is tonight: David Adair.

Is that a joke? Did her website get hacked?
Bwhahahahahahahaha! Thanks for making my day. And no I doubt it's a joke.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: chefist on May 16, 2018, 12:54:44 PM
People in that line of work never talk about their line of work...

So, you’re not going to tell me if you, Chefist, require security as a Black Ops? Or why you would need such a thing, when I’m going to guess you’re a muscular beast with all manner of weapons at your disposal?

Very disappointed in you.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 16, 2018, 01:01:01 PM
Bwhahahahahahahaha! Thanks for making my day. And no I doubt it's a joke.

Lmfao. For real?

https://artbelllegacy.com/

Bet you a shirt from BART Ell’s Shop that she makes some stupid comment about how he can have all the time in the world.. she won’t cut him off like “that other guy did”.  ::)

Also, don’t be surprised if she takes Dave’s sloppy seconds on multiple occasions.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 16, 2018, 01:01:41 PM
Lmfao. For real?
Can confirm...come on who's writing this season? It's masterful!
https://artbelllegacy.com/

yoursongs

Quote from: Pizzapunch on May 16, 2018, 12:48:26 PM

Ask Gary what division of Morton Thiokol he worked for when they were making the o-rings for the Challenger.  That should put an end to his bullshit.  My dad worked for them from 1974-1979 as a supervisor, so I know the subject.  Come on Gary tell us what you know.

Chismes

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 16, 2018, 09:36:58 AM
So the question is, for a fringe style show, would you rather the host challenge the guests with respect or just allow the story, inaccuracies and contradiction just slide?

Should the show be total escapism or entertainment with a foot still grounded in skepticism?

I'm a long time paranormal radio listener, lurker of Bellgab, and first time commenter.

To answer your question I'd like to say what I appreciated about Art: He was very skilled actor, salesman, and had a genuine curiosity about what makes people tick. The man could set a narrative. There isn't going to be anyone even similar to him. He lived all over the world at a time when the world was so much larger. His travels made him magical and more knowledgeable than the audience...more omnipotent/godlike. He portrayed himself as humble, and I liked him even though I didn't agree with him often on real life topics. It's a different era now. It can't be replicated.

That being said, why do you have to set strict parameters?  I enjoy your pre-planned peppered-in questions, especially given the idea that listeners are verifying what the guest is saying in real time. I also appreciate that you are changing things just enough to keep them your own. There is a happy medium of helping the guest get their message across, yet not letting things run amok. The ridiculous is fun when encouraged ocassionally! It depends on the guest, but some are just so endearing (and good at storytelling), that it would be a shame to silence it. Some are simply idioc, and need to be cut off- That's on you as a host. Nobody can make that call but you, or a trusted producer. You are very good at setting a narrative. Just find out what makes them tick, and you're good. Also, the term fringe works for me.