• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

paladin1991

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 15, 2018, 02:26:12 PM
This may be the dumbest argument I've ever read.
LOL

Of our 11 kids, 4 are over the age of 20 and on their own.
My finances are fine, I work doing something I love and my wife works. We take care of our own.
Thanks for the concern and weird discussion.

Now pass the Tide pods and let's all be friends.

There are some around here who would prefer to suck a condom up their nose.  This site does not promote discrimination.  Pls, in the future, keep DRMDMD, the Dickdr, in mind.   ;D

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 16, 2018, 11:04:10 AM
Four none of this is true.  ::)

im shocked and appalled you’d say such a thing, PBS! shocked and appalled.

Bluejay

Quote from: HumanBeing on May 16, 2018, 04:07:03 AM
Lasha really wants to moderate the info Heather and her facebook followers get to read.
It is looking more like a cult every day. Either you think and behave like they do or they'll put you on a list  ;D
What a fucking controlling bitch she is  :D

K_Dubb

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 16, 2018, 09:36:58 AM
So the question is, for a fringe style show, would you rather the host challenge the guests with respect or just allow the story, inaccuracies and contradiction just slide?

Should the show be total escapism or entertainment with a foot still grounded in skepticism?

Just asking for a friend. ;)

DS

Art left stuff open-ended, trusting people to draw their own conclusions, and I guess that's what I'm used to.  I think you were fine last night with Atwater right up until the little sermonette at the end after she hung up.  Getting her out of her prepared patter, making her think on the air, highlighting gaps in her work -- all part of a good interview.  If you read back, people could tell you weren't totally buying it and that she was out of her comfort zone -- don't worry, we get it.  But a two-minute facile critique citing science of all things was insufficient to dismiss the two hours we just heard, some of which was fascinating, let alone her life's work.

cweb

So the question is, for a fringe style show, would you rather the host challenge the guests with respect or just allow the story, inaccuracies and contradiction just slide?

Should the show be total escapism or entertainment with a foot still grounded in skepticism?

DS

I think it depends on the topic, but the number one thing is keeping it interesting.

The approach that someone like Howard Hughes uses is where my preference lies. He'll let someone move forward with their story, asking questions to help flesh it out or make it more understandable to us, then once the guest gets through with their point he might respectfully play "devil's advocate" and challenge them a little. It's certainly a balance, but one that I respect.

As for dumping guests, it makes sense to do so if they are dragging (like Adair) or not giving you anything interesting. Having a crazy Johnathan Reed (aka "alien in the freezer") story shouldn't immediately make them dump-able. But obviously going neurotic (like Douglas Dietrich is prone to) would be a dumper. You can always let the contradictions play out and then hit them with the big questions near the break (if you have open lines or another guest ready).

TL;DR? Use either (or both) of skepticism or escapism as you see fit. You help drive the show and you're doing a great job. Entertainment doesn't mean there can't be any facts, too.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 16, 2018, 06:29:02 AM
I did answer. You even quoted it. Look back on the last page. I posted a link.

So, did they threaten to kick you out of heaven or what?!

Bluejay

Quote from: Bart Ell on May 16, 2018, 07:53:15 AM
Hey Lasha - I know what bad thing you did. Guess what? I just did something even worse.
I am still in your secret club, Lasha, reading every word and making my own list.
You can play Santa with your list while I use mine to burn down everything you so love.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 16, 2018, 11:18:38 AM
So, did they threaten to kick you out of heaven or what?!

I’m already out. I like shrimp. Shrimp is evil.

Cowkiller

Fringe sometimes becomes mainstream.   Just look at music.  rock became cooporate became punk became new wave, mtv killed it. 
Labels suck yet we srill label.
I prefer bad, corny b movies,  to billion dollar budget garbage but thats just me.

DS

Art challenged people, but rarely litigated the way joyless twats like James Randi and Michael Shermer do. They're not skeptics, they're consensus cultists, preaching the status quo gospel of Snopes at every turn. Call bullshit when you need to, but keep it fun. If your interaction with a guest starts resembling a post modern Reddit bugman skeptic circlejerk, you've done a disservice to this midnight theater of ours.

Also, get Robert Lanza on the show plz.

GravitySucks

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 16, 2018, 11:22:21 AM
I’m already out. I like shrimp. Shrimp is evil.

Hang out with me. You can eat shrimp but you do need to being a covered dish with to get into heavan.

albrecht

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 16, 2018, 11:23:51 AM
Art challenged people, but rarely litigated the way joyless twats like James Randi and Michael Shermer do. They're not skeptics, they're consensus cultists, preaching the status quo gospel of Snopes at every turn. Call bullshit when you need to, but keep it fun. If your interaction with a guest starts resembling a post modern Reddit bugman skeptic circlejerk, you've done a disservice to this midnight theater of ours.

Also, get Robert Lanza on the show plz.
I'm not sure how/why Snopes became some kind of arbiter of truth but, I know a bit ad hominem, if you look at the political opinions, personal lives, lawsuits, divorces, accusations of fraud, embezzlement, etc of the Snopes crowd you might be hesitant to believe them as gospel on all things.
Randi is another piece of work with his decades younger male lover who was an illegal alien, stolen identity, identity and SS fraud, etc.

DaveSchrader

Quote from: HumanBeing on May 16, 2018, 11:03:26 AM

I am a bit perplexed by the recent change to use the 'best in fringe talk radio' tagline. I find the word a bit denigrating towards the subjects and guests, even if they are by definition 'fringe'.
But it just might be my perceived connotation of the word.

Paranormal seems limited as we cover more than that, Fringe seems to cover a wide variety of topics mainstream seems to turn a blind eye to without pigeon holing the show to a percieved or limited niche.

Thoughts?

Bluejay

DS
Respectfully challenge when your BS-meter detects the opportunity.   ;).

chefist

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 16, 2018, 11:27:49 AM
Paranormal seems limited as we cover more than that, Fringe seems to cover a wide variety of topics mainstream seems to turn a blind eye to without pigeon holing the show to a percieved or limited niche.

Thoughts?

I like fringe..."paranormal" is a tired out, cliched genre...basically, it's a "soft drink" into "energy drink" type of twist...

K_Dubb

Quote from: chefist on May 16, 2018, 11:32:33 AM
I like fringe..."paranormal" is a tired out, cliched genre...

Yep.  Anything good always happens on the fringe.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: chefist on May 16, 2018, 11:32:33 AM
I like fringe..."paranormal" is a tired out, cliched genre...basically, it's a "soft drink" into "energy drink" type of twist...

Agreed

Bluejay

Quote from: Cowkiller on May 16, 2018, 11:22:54 AM
Fringe sometimes becomes mainstream.   Just look at music.  rock became cooporate became punk became new wave, mtv killed it. 
Labels suck yet we srill label.
I prefer bad, corny b movies,  to billion dollar budget garbage but thats just me.

aldousburbank

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2018, 11:27:20 AM
I'm not sure how/why Snopes became some kind of arbiter of truth but, I know a bit ad hominem, if you look at the political opinions, personal lives, lawsuits, divorces, accusations of fraud, embezzlement, etc of the Snopes crowd you might be hesitant to believe them as gospel on all things.
Randi is another piece of work with his decades younger male lover who was an illegal alien, stolen identity, identity and SS fraud, etc.

There needs to be a Snopes for Snopes.

GravitySucks

Thoughts?
If the cat ladies in the “On the Fringe” FB group hadn’t booted me for telling them 10 days ago that HW did NOT own the rights to the Crystal Gayle song, I might not be sensitive to the term. I demand “margin”. TigerLily votes the same.

dsz

DS

I'll tell you what I told Heather... Just be yourself. (Stop trying to be Art, Heather). You won't please everyone. I guess my problem is when I believe a guest and the host doesn't or vice versa. Last night was fine. I think it will be much better when you can take calls and have someone call in and rebut you... 'I can see why you found her ridiculous but I have this study and this experience she didn't mention'. Another example is I love when Clyde yells at idiot callers because that's what I'm doing at home, but he apparently gets so much hate mail for it (which I think is largely from trolls trying to make his show dull) that he rarely does it now. Appease one, piss another off. I'd say do your thing. Maybe throw in 'devils advocate' here or there. Make it exciting or engaging. And never listen to Bellgab.

timebandit

Quote from: albrecht on May 16, 2018, 10:31:52 AM
It can be somewhat apparent if you are aware but "mirroring" or "mimicking" is basic sales technique. Using same language, body posture, speech patterns, etc as customer.
I've seen it used in flirting.. it works

dsz

Quote from: Bart Ell on May 16, 2018, 07:53:15 AM
Hey Lasha - I know what bad thing you did. Guess what? I just did something even worse.
I am still in your secret club, Lasha, reading every word and making my own list.
You can play Santa with your list while I use mine to burn down everything you so love.

She fucking ate Santa. And all the elves.

Stop getting in Heather's business, Lasher, and loose the internet for a while.

Shoveler

Thoughts?

Like it.  Different is good.  Fringe, Frontier, Edge.  Anything describing reaching beyond the norm.

Bluejay

Thoughts?
I agree!

ponyboysunset

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 16, 2018, 11:40:25 AM
TigerLily votes the same.
No bigger turn off than someone voting or speaking for me. Best on your new nuptials.  :)
PS how are you resolving the difference in the two of your political views?  ;D

timebandit

Quote from: Shoveler on May 16, 2018, 11:46:36 AM
Like it.  Different is good.  Fringe, Frontier, Edge.  Anything describing reaching beyond the norm.
psychotic?

Pizzapunch

No dump button until tomorrow! An unnamed guest tonight. This guy "gets"it