• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 20, 2016, 12:10:38 PM
Show of hands.  Who believes Sarah Palin is endorsing Trump only because she concluded he's the candidate who can do the most for her and her greatly diminished brand, and if Ted Cruz were the front runner, she'd be on stage with him sneering at Trump and snidely deriding his liberal past and "New York" values? 

👋👋  I'm not sure who courted who in this endorsement, but while Cruz is quoting the bible and rounding up all the Christian conservatives, perhaps Trump thinks Palin will bring what's left among conservative Rebublicans.  But now that he's trotted her out and even promised her a job in his administration, any moderate Republicans who might have considered voting Trump are probably having scary second thoughts.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 20, 2016, 10:14:13 AM
Palin was a no-show at a Trump rally in IA today where she was supposed to appear with him.  She's probably back in Wasilla trying to get her asshole son off.
I was mistaken about her heading for AK; she showed up later in OK. I still think Trump will regret getting her on board.  Her stink will linger on him long after any benefit she brings with the hardcore knuckle-draggers in IA.  She's blaming her son's assholeness on PTSD from serving in Iraq in '08.  She said "They all come back not right".  Fuck you, Sarah; it took us 20 years to live that same shit down after Vietnam.  Wrapping your backward tribe in the flag won't help.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on January 20, 2016, 01:51:56 PM
👋👋  I'm not sure who courted who in this endorsement, but while Cruz is quoting the bible and rounding up all the Christian conservatives, perhaps Trump thinks Palin will bring what's left among conservative Rebublicans.  But now that he's trotted her out and even promised her a job in his administration, any moderate Republicans who might have considered voting Trump are probably having scary second thoughts.

Based on what she claims to believe in, Mike Huckabee seems like he'd be her ideological soulmate and ideal candidate, but there obviously isn't much someone who's barely registering in the polls can do for her. After all, what's the point of having integrity and values if they don't further your ambitions and put money in your pocket?   ;)

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 20, 2016, 02:10:07 PM
Based on what she claims to believe in, Mike Huckabee seems like he'd be her ideological soulmate and ideal candidate, but there obviously isn't much someone who's barely registering in the polls can do for her. After all, what's the point of having integrity and values if they don't further your ambitions and put money in your pocket?   ;)

After she drags Trump down, the only stage left for her is on Dancing With The Stars.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 20, 2016, 12:10:38 PM
Show of hands.  Who believes Sarah Palin is endorsing Trump only because she concluded he's the candidate who can do the most for her and her greatly diminished brand, and if Ted Cruz were the front runner, she'd be on stage with him sneering at Trump and snidely deriding his liberal past and "New York" values? 

Of course she is.

There is a wide chasm of behavior and religious belief between Palin and her supporters and Trump and his supporters.

It honestly doesn't make sense for Trump to sharing stages with her.  I can understand accepting an endorsement, but not as much air time and space that she is getting.

It can only turn off Trump supporters.

Well one thing is for certain; Trump`s recent behavior -- including the Palin endorsement -- has created even more of a chasm in the GOP. Which, incidentally,  is now breathing life into the floundering establishment candidates.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 21, 2016, 03:01:47 AM
Well one thing is for certain; Trump`s recent behavior -- including the Palin endorsement -- has created even more of a chasm in the GOP. Which, incidentally,  is now breathing life into the floundering establishment candidates.

I bet Palin's endorsement makes Trump's numbers go down. Sounds like Dole might endorse Trump, well at least over Cruz. Dole dislikes Cruz because Cruz is not capable of making compromises needed to get things through Congress.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/20/bob-dole-warns-of-cataclysmic-losses-with-ted-cruz-and-says-donald-trump-would-do-better/?_r=0

QuoteAs for Mr. Cruz, he said: “There’ll be wholesale losses if he’s the nominee. Our party is not that far right

Quote from: nooryisawesome on January 21, 2016, 03:37:10 AM
I bet Palin's endorsement makes Trump's numbers go down. Sounds like Dole might endorse Trump, well at least over Cruz. Dole dislikes Cruz because Cruz is not capable of making compromises needed to get things through Congress.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/20/bob-dole-warns-of-cataclysmic-losses-with-ted-cruz-and-says-donald-trump-would-do-better/?_r=0

Wow, I honestly thought Bob Dole had died long ago.  Never liked him, but congrats on 92 years old.

Quote from: The King of Kings on January 21, 2016, 03:56:35 AM
Wow, I honestly thought Bob Dole had died long ago.  Never liked him, but congrats on 92 years old.

Yes, he is a terrible WWII veteran who worked feverishly to accomplish compromise in Congress and supported civil rights in the 60's. There are far worse politicians than Dole.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 20, 2016, 01:57:32 PM
I was mistaken about her heading for AK; she showed up later in OK. I still think Trump will regret getting her on board.  Her stink will linger on him long after any benefit she brings with the hardcore knuckle-draggers in IA.  She's blaming her son's assholeness on PTSD from serving in Iraq in '08.  She said "They all come back not right".  Fuck you, Sarah; it took us 20 years to live that same shit down after Vietnam.  Wrapping your backward tribe in the flag won't help.

I agree. I think it`s just good old-fashioned white trash acting like good old-fashioned white trash. Track may suffer from PTSD -- not for me to judge. However, I do know that PTSD does not automatically condemn one to living the rest of their life as a violent wife-beating prick.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 21, 2016, 03:01:47 AM

A genuine question. You were all over Trump not so long ago, weren't you? Are you now against him, lukewarm, or what? And, if so, what changed your mind?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: nooryisawesome on January 21, 2016, 05:43:56 AM
Yes, he is a terrible WWII veteran who worked feverishly to accomplish compromise in Congress and supported civil rights in the 60's. There are far worse politicians than Dole.
Dole is way out of touch with the lunatic right that's hijacked conservatism, and would be burned at the stake at a Cruz rally. 

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 21, 2016, 11:08:44 AM
A genuine question. You were all over Trump not so long ago, weren't you? Are you now against him, lukewarm, or what? And, if so, what changed your mind?

I like the idea of a Trump White House -- it`s a guilty pleasure, if you will. Unfortunately, it`s just not practical. In the long run, The Donald will do more damage to the Republican party than Bush every dreamed of.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 21, 2016, 11:31:22 AM
I like the idea of a Trump White House -- it`s a guilty pleasure, if you will. Unfortunately, it`s just not practical. In the long run, The Donald will do more damage to the Republican party than Bush every dreamed of.

And more damage to the country.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 21, 2016, 11:27:51 AM
Dole is way out of touch with the lunatic right that's hijacked conservatism, and would be burned at the stake at a Cruz rally.

Bob Dole. Tanned, Rested, and ready.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 21, 2016, 11:33:15 AM
And more damage to the country.

Perhaps. Trump`s biggest problem is he won`t be able to get anything done in Congress. They, as in every single member of the entire congressional body, on both sides, absolutely despises him. Game over.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 21, 2016, 11:33:45 AM
Bob Dole. Tanned, Rested, and ready.

There's a line John Huston's character has in Chinatown, that goes something like, "Old whores and politicians become respectable if they live long enough."  I respect Bob Dole and he's become more moderate as an elder statesman, but I remember back in the seventies when he was the designated GOP hatchet man and attack dog, and there was nothing warm and fuzzy about him.  Of course, as nasty as he could be back then, it pales by comparison to today's politics.

SredniVashtar

I think you sum it up very well. All people consider is the potential pluses, but forget all the problems that will go along with it. Very short-sighted.

whoozit

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 21, 2016, 11:40:39 AM
I think you sum it up very well. All people consider is the potential pluses, but forget all the problems that will go along with it. Very short-sighted.
I think the debacle that is Palin may put a damper on his campaign.  Time will tell.

GravitySucks

The Republican Party needs to be snooker to its core so that the Karl Rove's tumble from their pedestal. I contribute to individual candidates, but I will never give a dime to the GOP.  They have sold out, and you can't blame that on Bush.

MV/Liberace!

In the long run, The Donald will do more damage to the Republican party than Bush every dreamed of.

there IS no republican party.  what are you talking about?

VtaGeezer

I'm still not a Trump voter, though I love his non-PC candor.  But anyone who calls Glenn Beck a wacko is OK in my book.

DT's Tweet:
"Wacko @glennbeck is a sad answer to the @SarahPalinUSA endorsement that Cruz so desperately wanted. Glenn is a failing, crying, lost soul!
â€" Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 21, 2016"

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 21, 2016, 12:38:05 PM
I'm still not a Trump voter, though I love his non-PC candor.  But anyone who calls Glenn Beck a wacko is OK in my book.

I've never hit anybody first in my life, but Glenn Beck's face stirs some deep atavistic instinct that makes me want to punch it repeatedly.

Quote from: MV on January 21, 2016, 12:05:20 PM

Oh, it's there. Its just trying to find itself right now. Which, btw, is a good thing.

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 21, 2016, 11:58:12 AM
The Republican Party needs to be snooker to its core so that the Karl Rove's tumble from their pedestal. I contribute to individual candidates, but I will never give a dime to the GOP.  They have sold out, and you can't blame that on Bush.

The GOP is in the midst of al purge. Rove is a stalwart in the Mitch McConnell John Boehner, establishment wing of the party. They, thankfully, are on their way out.

ItsOver

Looks like another endorsement for Trump.  And Cruz.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lindsey-graham-trump-or-cruz-nomination-would-spell-death-to-gop/

This comment on the article gave me a laugh.

"Trump or Cruz nomination would spell 'death' to GOP".

We can only hope.

anunnaki

Quote from: MV on January 21, 2016, 12:05:20 PM

Nailed It  ;D

I'm starting to have some reservations about Trump.  He supports increasing the ethanol subsidies which reeks of crony capitalism.  Some old-time Establishment types like Bob Dole and Mitch McConnell are starting to support Trump.  Trump is starting to talk about making deals with the Democrats.  Other than his stand against unfettered immigration, he is starting to come across as a RINO.  At least to my eyes.

Another problem that I have with Trump is his support of eminent domain.  For those that don't understand the issue, that is when the government be it federal or local,  takes away people's land indiscriminately so they can build a highway or construct a business.  An everyday example of this is when a highway needs to be widened and the government takes property from landowners to achieve this purpose. Sure, they get some compensation but tell that to the farmer who is having his life disrupted.  Trump has used eminent domain to build hotels and other buildings.

whoozit

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 21, 2016, 05:06:47 PM
Another problem that I have with Trump is his support of eminent domain.  For those that don't understand the issue, that is when the government be it federal or local,  takes away people's land indiscriminately so they can build a highway or construct a business.  An everyday example of this is when a highway needs to be widened and the government takes property from landowners to achieve this purpose. Sure, they get some compensation but tell that to the farmer who is having his life disrupted.  Trump has used eminent domain to build hotels and other buildings.
I didn't know Trump used that for some of his properties.  Using eminent domain for a highway or other public work is one thing.  Using it to grab private property for a business is bullshit.  I know it's done, but it just isn't right.