• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

b_dubb

Linux is going to be a ginormous pain in the ass for her.  I'm sure if she gave us a short list of software packages she has to run for work that few or none would run on linux.

wr250

Quote from: b_dubb on January 05, 2015, 07:42:05 PM
Linux is going to be a ginormous pain in the ass for her.  I'm sure if she gave us a short list of software packages she has to run for work that few or none would run on linux.
i agree, she should just pull the drive from the old and put it in the new. then reacitvate.

b_dubb

Heather Wade

I keep going back to that, pulling the drive and putting it in the new machine.  Sounds like a plan.  Just wanted to post my concerns here to see if my BellGabbers would think of something I hadn't.

The only thing I didn't know was I'd need to reactivate Windows. 

Thanks for lending your expertise, guys.  Send me a bill.   ;)

wr250

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 05, 2015, 08:26:53 PM
I keep going back to that, pulling the drive and putting it in the new machine.  Sounds like a plan.  Just wanted to post my concerns here to see if my BellGabbers would think of something I hadn't.

here you go :

Catsmile

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 05, 2015, 08:26:53 PM

Only thing that pops into my little mind problem wise swapping drives, or cloning may come from...  motherboard driver conflicts.

So... if things are unstable swaping, or cloning that may be the root of it.

Juan

Thanks for the links to the WINE list - I learned that Cakewalk Sonar X2 runs on it.  X3 can't be far behind.  I may be dumping windows after all.

wr250

Quote from: Juan on January 06, 2015, 07:30:36 AM
Thanks for the links to the WINE list - I learned that Cakewalk Sonar X2 runs on it.  X3 can't be far behind.  I may be dumping windows after all.

i would dual boot until i was sure that it worked to your satisfaction.

wr250

the new $1200 sony walkman

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493145/new-sony-walkman-zx2-ces-2015

for the price of 2 ipod air 2's (16Gb storage) you too can be the proud owner of this android 4.2 device.

wr250

fbi: we dont need no stinking warrants
fbi claims they can place stingray devices in public places

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/01/fbi-says-search-warrants-not-needed-to-use-stringrays-in-public-places/

note a sting ray is a fake cell tower designed to catch/record  traffic (calls,text,data) from cell phones.

Heather Wade

Quote from: wr250 on January 06, 2015, 02:59:55 PM
fbi: we dont need no stinking warrants
fbi claims they can place stingray devices in public places

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/01/fbi-says-search-warrants-not-needed-to-use-stringrays-in-public-places/

note a sting ray is a fake cell tower designed to catch/record  traffic (calls,text,data) from cell phones.

I suspected as much was already going on.  I was right.  (That's once in a row.)

wr250

thnderstrike now has  proof of concept code out there. which means within hours to days of the POC code being released, crackers will make some malicious software. although it could be the NSA already knew.
thunderstrike reprograms the firmware by rebooting the machine with a thunderbolt device (with the code on it) in place, then the computer reads the thunderbolt device before anything else , including BIOS (firmware) passwords,etc , then flashes the malicious code to the  boot rom.
so anyone with access to your macbook can do this in just about a minute (by inserting the thunderbolt device and holding the power button down). ie airports, hotels (maid service), used macs, anywhere where the mac is out of your sight for a minute or so.
additionally it patches the exploit so you cant use it to install a std firmware, for example. this means a motherboard replacement must be done to restore the original firmware.
the POC code can record filevault passwords as they are typed. its not a leap to have it record say, bank passwords to a file to be uploaded somewhere later
there are no know instances in the wild atm, but since this code has been released, it will not be long.

https://trmm.net/Thunderstrike_FAQ

Heather Wade

Finally got my new baby configured.  Whew.  Fuck Microsoft, I cracked everything.  Mu ha haaaaa haaaaaa.

wr250

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 11, 2015, 06:09:13 PM
Finally got my new baby configured.  Whew.  Fuck Microsoft, I cracked everything.  Mu ha haaaaa haaaaaa.

now thats the attitude.

wr250

zeebo

Quote from: (Redacted) on January 13, 2015, 06:59:48 PM
Gotta get in there and show the computer who's boss!

I agree, but stilll ... sometimes late at nite, when my machine is spinning it's little hourglass icon for no good reason, or blinking it's hard drive light randomly, or making some annoying buzzing sound from deep within it's electronic self .... I have this little HAL moment, where I wonder if the thing is somehow aware of me, and thinking to itself "I wonder if I do process X what kind of response will I get this time - Will he just gaze blankly, or curse at me and bang on my keyboard, or shake his head and wander off to get another beer?"

Heather Wade

Quote from: wr250 on January 13, 2015, 07:02:37 PM
and flip off MS while your at it.

Wouldn't be showing it who's boss if I didn't.   8)

Quote from: zeebo on January 13, 2015, 08:48:45 PM
I agree, but stilll ... sometimes late at nite, when my machine is spinning it's little hourglass icon for no good reason, or blinking it's hard drive light randomly, or making some annoying buzzing sound from deep within it's electronic self .... I have this little HAL moment, where I wonder if the thing is somehow aware of me, and thinking to itself "I wonder if I do process X what kind of response will I get this time - Will he just gaze blankly, or curse at me and bang on my keyboard, or shake his head and wander off to get another beer?"

The old computer has already told the new computer how it is around here.  Pretty sure the new computer is cool though, I caught it downloading a torrent of Nice Dreams this morning.