• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Taaroa

Quote from: Roswells, Art on March 27, 2018, 11:27:49 PM
I think Jackstar never asks a question he thinks he know the answer to.

I chose to take his question at face value and assumed he was too lazy to look in the video's comments.

albrecht

"The Haunted Strangler" I liked. Clearly a vehicle for Boris. Ok. He does a great job and surprisingly 'exotic' fare with dance numbers with legs and bloomers. Not great movie  but great b&w and Boris is excellent. And lots of risque (tame now) numbers and plot was, somewhat, contrived to show him and girls. Which aint a bad thing and a contrast?

paladin1991

Watched this on Netflix.  Reminds me of me and my brother.  Without the corruption.  Pretty much.

https://youtu.be/XQ2L1heHHnk

Quote from: albrecht on April 04, 2018, 10:41:44 PM
"The Haunted Strangler" I liked. Clearly a vehicle for Boris. Ok. He does a great job and surprisingly 'exotic' fare with dance numbers with legs and bloomers. Not great movie  but great b&w and Boris is excellent. And lots of risque (tame now) numbers and plot was, somewhat, contrived to show him and girls. Which aint a bad thing and a contrast?

One of Boris's best from later days.  It is a shame Boris didn't live another decade and we could have had some great sexploitation/horror fare.  No doubt he would have been cast in some giallos and 70's Eurohorror.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 05, 2018, 03:15:18 PM
One of Boris's best from later days.  It is a shame Boris didn't live another decade and we could have had some great sexploitation/horror fare.  No doubt he would have been cast in some giallos and 70's Eurohorror.
Yeah, that would have been good.
Apparently he was 71 when doing the role! It was a pretty physical role and his ability to transform his face was amazing. And some of the females. Vavavoom. I think that Criterion did a good job on the transfer, as usual.

akwilly

I watched Annihilation the other day. It freakin sucked.

albrecht

"Doctor X". Copy I saw was in color, but more sepia it seemed, to me? UCLA issue. Fun stuff with plot, pre-code 'themes', and loved the 'science labs' with all the gadgets, flames, electricity. And Fay Wray, who is nice! Frankly I would rather seen the b&w? Because color wasn't on this version 'there' much? But watched during a passing, just passed, big thunderstorm n driving rain (tornado maybe further up in other county.) So the mood worked well.

Rix Gins

I have been watching a bunch of el-cheapo-reno sci fi movies on YouTube.  Yesterday I watched Indestructible Man (1956) starring Lon Chaney Jr. in what has to be one of his last movies in which he got top billing.  He was fun to watch.  He played an executed convict who came back to life with extra powers.  He could be shot with bullets and they wouldn't harm him.  He wanted to get back at his old gang for them having double-crossed him.  He went stalking through some cool looking areas of 1950's Los Angeles.  He would find one of his gang members every so often and throw them off of high buildings or just simply bludgeon them to death with his super strength.  There was a nice side story involving a police detective who became enamored of an attractive showgirl.  Fun movie to watch, all in all.

Best dialogue in the movie:

She..."Have you got a first name?"  He..."Dick!"

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 16, 2018, 06:57:15 PM
I have been watching a bunch of el-cheapo-reno sci fi movies on YouTube.  Yesterday I watched Indestructible Man (1956) starring Lon Chaney Jr. in what has to be one of his last movies in which he got top billing.  He was fun to watch.  He played an executed convict who came back to life with extra powers.  He could be shot with bullets and they wouldn't harm him.  He wanted to get back at his old gang for them having double-crossed him.  He went stalking through some cool looking areas of 1950's Los Angeles.  He would find one of his gang members every so often and throw them off of high buildings or just simply bludgeon them to death with his super strength.  There was a nice side story involving a police detective who became enamored of an attractive showgirl.  Fun movie to watch, all in all.

Best dialogue in the movie:

She..."Have you got a first name?"  He..."Dick!"

I've got him on DVD in a great British horror flick called Witchcraft (1963/64) directed by Don Sharp who directed more than a few Hammer films. If you ever get a chance, watch it.  Easily the best thing he did in his declining years, IMHO.  I think it is on blu-ray now too.  It is truly scary in places.

ShayP

A Quiet Place

I was looking forward to it and bought into the hype.  I left somewhat disappointed.

Don't get me wrong.  It was good.  However, there is no way it should get the attention it is getting at this time.  I've seen a few sources where it could be award worthy. 

Maybe I've seen too many movies in the thriller and horror genre over the years that I expect something new and exciting.  Yes, the silence aspect was new.  However I wasn't impressed with the movie overall.   

3 of 5 stars.

ItsOver

Quote from: ShayP on April 16, 2018, 08:49:22 PM
A Quiet Place

I was looking forward to it and bought into the hype.  I left somewhat disappointed.

Don't get me wrong.  It was good.  However, there is no way it should get the attention it is getting at this time.  I've seen a few sources where it could be award worthy. 

Maybe I've seen to many movies in the thriller and horror genre over the years that I expect something new and exciting.  Yes, the silence aspect was new.  However I wasn't impressed with the movie overall.   

3 of 5 stars.
Sorry to hear that.  I was planning on checking it out, sounds like I'll be disappointed.  Damn Hollywood usually sucks bad these days.

ShayP

Quote from: ItsOver on April 16, 2018, 08:56:33 PM
Sorry to hear that.  I was planning on checking it out, sounds like I'll be disappointed.  Damn Hollywood usually sucks bad these days.

Go ahead and check it out.  It's not a stinker by any means.  Just not what I expected.  I think because the guy (Jim) from The Office directed it, etc, and starred with his wife Emily Blunt, it gave it more hype than I think it deserved.

zeebo

Finally saw Blade Runner 2049, on blu-ray.  The art direction was amazing, but I was ultimately disappointed in the story.  A missed opportunity to make a new classic.  Still it's almost worth watching just for the visual experience.

Also, I caught The Force Awakens on tv the other nite.  The first fifteen minutes I was like, Hmm this is actually pretty cool.  And then it happened, that inevetible JJ Abrams WTF moment (when Han & Chewie randomly showed up), and then it went horribly awry from there.  Lazy and derivative script full of lame dialogue, choppy action sequences, and nonsensical details.  Cheap use of nostalgia in a total cash-grab.  Why is this guy trying to ruin my childhood?

On a side note, some time ago I watched the (non-Abrams) one-off Rogue One and liked it alot.  I actually consider that my own personal prequel to A New Hope, ignoring the existence of those other ones (with the possible exception of the final half hour of Ep. III.)

ItsOver

Yeah, Zeeb, I was disappointed with 2049, too.  I was glad I saw it as a double billing with the original, though.  "Blade Runner" never disappoints.  I try to catch it once a year on the big screen.  A truly brilliant film.

Rix Gins

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 16, 2018, 07:17:04 PM
I've got him on DVD in a great British horror flick called Witchcraft (1963/64) directed by Don Sharp who directed more than a few Hammer films. If you ever get a chance, watch it.  Easily the best thing he did in his declining years, IMHO.  I think it is on blu-ray now too.  It is truly scary in places.

Thanks 21st, I will.  Look at that other movie in the advertisement.  Pat Boone in a horror movie?  I may have to check that one out also.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on April 16, 2018, 10:59:53 PM
Yeah, Zeeb, I was disappointed with 2049, too.  I was glad I saw it as a double billing with the original, though.  "Blade Runner" never disappoints.  I try to catch it once a year on the big screen.  A truly brilliant film.

Absolutely.  A great example of "less is more" by comparison.  Still an elegant, immersive, thought-provoking film decades after release. 

Robert

Yesterday I saw The Death of Stalin.  Very entertaining comedy.  Am I the only one who thinks Steve Buscemi looks & sounds like Wallace Shawn?

Chine

Quote from: zeebo on April 16, 2018, 10:49:00 PM
Finally saw Blade Runner 2049, on blu-ray.  The art direction was amazing, but I was ultimately disappointed in the story.  A missed opportunity to make a new classic.  Still it's almost worth watching just for the visual experience.

Also, I caught The Force Awakens on tv the other nite.  The first fifteen minutes I was like, Hmm this is actually pretty cool.  And then it happened, that inevetible JJ Abrams WTF moment (when Han & Chewie randomly showed up), and then it went horribly awry from there.  Lazy and derivative script full of lame dialogue, choppy action sequences, and nonsensical details.  Cheap use of nostalgia in a total cash-grab.  Why is this guy trying to ruin my childhood?

On a side note, some time ago I watched the (non-Abrams) one-off Rogue One and liked it alot.  I actually consider that my own personal prequel to A New Hope, ignoring the existence of those other ones (with the possible exception of the final half hour of Ep. III.)

Yes-

Roger Deakins - The Master of Cinematography finally took home an Oscar for it. 12 nominations over many years and a legend that others in the industry study from. Google his body of work. He is responsible for the most beautiful visuals in film. I don’t even watch The Oscars anymore, but did that night. Finally. He finally got it.

Wow. I`m now wondering which Film I watched. I LOVED BR 2049! One of the greatest films I`ve ever seen.

zeebo

Quote from: FightTheFuture on April 19, 2018, 11:58:24 AM
Wow. I`m now wondering which Film I watched. I LOVED BR 2049! One of the greatest films I`ve ever seen.

I've seen alot of others who agree with you, and part of me understands it.  I did feel there were elements of something great in there, but for me the script didn't quite live up to the fantastic mood and setting. 

zeebo

Quote from: Chine on April 19, 2018, 11:41:33 AM

Yes-

Roger Deakins - The Master of Cinematography finally took home an Oscar for it. 12 nominations over many years and a legend that others in the industry study from. Google his body of work. He is responsible for the most beautiful visuals in film. I don’t even watch The Oscars anymore, but did that night. Finally. He finally got it.

Totally deserved, both for that film alone and his whole body of work.  Btw good to see you Chine!

Chine

Quote from: zeebo on April 19, 2018, 01:07:34 PM
Totally deserved, both for that film alone and his whole body of work.  Btw good to see you Chine!

You too.

Have you watched ‘Peaky Blinders’ on NetFlix? I have taken a break from watching anything over the past several months. I watched the documentary series ‘Wild Wild Country’ on the Rajneesh in Oregon during the 80s. That was good.

Just started ‘Peaky Blinders’ on Season 1

zeebo

Quote from: Chine on April 19, 2018, 01:11:25 PM
Have you watched ‘Peaky Blinders’ on NetFlix? I have taken a break from watching anything over the past several months. I watched the documentary series ‘Wild Wild Country’ on the Rajneesh in Oregon during the 80s. That was good.

Nope haven't seen either of those, but I'll check 'em out!  I just recently got back on netflix and have been catching up on Game of Thrones and The Expanse, satisfying my fantasy/sci-fi itches, respectively.

Chine

Now I get it. All the buzz about ‘Peaky Blinders’ over the last year from close friends. I’m on Season 2 and it really is a quality production. Cool surprise to discover Tom Hardy is in it. Overall, a great cast - Cillian Murphy (Took me about 4 episodes to get passed thinking of his wild character in the Nolan Batman films , Sam Neill , Helen McCrory (loved her as the head witch in a season of Penny Dreadful) and more.

The art direction / cinematography is exquisite. Love the moody gothic feel generated by the  cobblestone streets, industrial feel, beaches of smoke from the favtory. The Chinatown scenes -intoxicating  Oddly romantic looking - but I dig that in a city landscape. The history of this period is riveting and one I have only slight knowledge of. (Btw -  I’ve personally met Gerry Adams of the IRA years ago while living in NYC through friends from Ireland.)

The music? Wow. Talk about an interesting juxtaposition with that funky soulful music weaved through it. That is smart and works so well. I may have to purchase to music from the series.

Took a break from Netflix and enjoying reading books again. But, this is a worthy series. BBC of course, so there ya go.

albrecht

"ST.Ives" lots actors you see in other roles. Some who made big, others who remained character actors and GOOD ONES . And Chuck good. Apparently first Bronson with the director fot several good ones.

Taco Bell

Super Troopers 2
Can't remember the last time I went to the theater for a comedy. Was better than expected given how sequels can be a let down. Just a good flick to forget about the outside world for a few hours and make fun of Canadians.

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 16, 2018, 11:01:23 PM
Thanks 21st, I will.  Look at that other movie in the advertisement.  Pat Boone in a horror movie?  I may have to check that one out also.

LOL.  I didn't notice that before.  Has to be a horror comedy.

Just checked. It is a horror comedy. The Horror of It All is a American/British film directed by Hammer stalwart, Terence Fisher.