• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on May 04, 2012, 08:55:03 PM
And for that I think you deserved beaucoup extra credit

I did too...nobody else agreed.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 04, 2012, 07:20:21 PM
           You just reminded me of why I did so poorly in grade school...it was forced fraternization idiocy projects like that. The term "doesn't work well with others" is my epitaph.

A-fucking-men.

And then they,  the enforcers of involuntary fraternization, have the nerve to become bent when you graduate from "running with scissors" to "stabbing with scissors."

I can't remember who said it... Robert Anton Wilson or a Satanist or the medium-channeled frozen corpse of Walt Disney, but paraphrased, it went something like, "Man is the only animal that insists on living so close in proximity with others of its kind that it brings on insanity."

As far as diet, polls indicate that most cannibals prefer Tibetan meat when they can get it.  "It's a cleaner group of 'long pig,' " they explain, salivating.

I can think of many people in my own internet circle over the years more deserving of an early death by cancer than any extant Beastie Boy. But life is a (c)rap shoot and we'll all reach the same inevitable destination. 

But still.  Regrettable news.

On a personal level, what is annoying me to no end is the yahoo fuck who felt the need to kill, butcher, &  skin a less than a year old "sacred" white buffalo and its mother not far from my area of the state.  What a mindless, narcissistic asshole. No matter your religious beliefs, it's just wrong on multiple levels, the least of which is trespassing and killing an animal to which you have no ownership.

Lightning Medicine Cloud is a celebrity from my pov, and I do sincerely hope the Texas Rangers catch the prick who did this.  I don't have much faith in the local law enforcement of Hunt County, but I would not underestimate the Rangers.

Alas, it's news like this that causes my "stabbing with scissors" blood to pump anew.

http://www.lightningmedicinecloud.com/

(p.s., R.I.P., Jonathan Frid - you scared the bejesus out of me when I was first learning to run with scissors.)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 04, 2012, 09:19:43 PM
A-fucking-men.

And then they,  the enforcers of involuntary fraternization, have the nerve to become bent when you graduate from "running with scissors" to "stabbing with scissors."

I can't remember who said it... Robert Anton Wilson or a Satanist or the medium-channeled frozen corpse of Walt Disney, but paraphrased, it went something like, "Man is the only animal that insists on living so close in proximity with others of its kind that it brings on insanity."

On a personal level, what is annoying me to no end is the yahoo fuck who felt the need to kill, butcher, &  skin a less than a year old "sacred" white buffalo and its mother not far from my area of the state.  What a mindless, narcissistic asshole. No matter your religious beliefs, it's just wrong on multiple levels, the least of which is trespassing and killing an animal to which you have no ownership.

Lightning Medicine Cloud is a celebrity from my pov, and I do sincerely hope the Texas Rangers catch the prick who did this.  I don't have much faith in the local law enforcement of Hunt County, but I would not underestimate the Rangers.

Alas, it's news like this that causes my "stabbing with scissors" blood to pump anew.

http://www.lightningmedicinecloud.com/

Excellent points. Count me among those who read Robert Putnam's lament "Bowling Alone" and wasn't distressed by his findings. I'll gladly take the "Splendid Isolation" Warren Zevon sang about than be part of a community of busybodies and utopians who feel a need engage with others at all times. I'm Greta Garbo with a pud.

I used to indignantly tell teachers "I can't use these scissors, I'm lefthanded". This Mexican standoff would continue until the bell rang. They never seemed to take note that I wrote right-handed. But then again were talking "lay person" teachers making roughly 7 grand annually in 1982, I'm guessing they're not provosts at Stanford now.

Ironic that the guy who wrote a decent paean to the Great White Buffalo, imaginatively titled "Great White Buffalo" on his 1974 Tooth,Fang or Claw album, one Ted Nugent...is exactly the type of scummy poaching prick that I think of when I hear about animals being murdered for sport.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bluth co. on May 04, 2012, 06:42:19 PM
Hi. i'm new. actually registered like a year ago but this is my first ever post, so, hello.

hi there.  post often.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 04, 2012, 12:58:24 PM

In 1994 I spent time with Adam after meeting him at a Tibetan event.  I did not know who he was and had heard never heard any Beastie Boys music.  My friends, who were fans of the group, were notably interested in my buddy they were calling MCA.  "Why do you call him MCA?", I asked, "His name is Adam."  They thought, and were probably correct, that I was one of the most culturally ignorant creatures they had ever known.  I think Adam appreciated the fact that I was not a fan or a follower and that he was just another person to me.  I found him to be an intelligent, genuine, and sensitive individual, which is just about as good of an epitaph as any human has the right to expect.  Rest in peace mi amigo; may the multi- faceted jewel of compassion shine endlessly for you.  I think I'll buy a BB CD now and retroactively find out what all the fuss was about.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 04, 2012, 07:20:21 PM
           You just reminded me of why I did so poorly in grade school...it was forced fraternization idiocy projects like that. The term "doesn't work well with others" is my epitaph.

These days, you'd be quickly diagnosed with some condition or disorder, have a bunch of letters attached to your file as a label, be handed some medications by your friendly pediatrician, and be drugged into submission and mediocrity. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 05, 2012, 09:00:10 AM
These days, you'd be quickly diagnosed with some condition or disorder, have a bunch of letters attached to your file as a label, be handed some medications by your friendly pediatrician, and be drugged into submission and mediocrity.

By late 1984(age 9), I was labeled ADD/Hyperactive and put on Ritalin and seeing a shrink weekly. I was always getting dragged out of  class for cognitive testing. High test scores, but a holy terror with chronic absenteeism. I'd get an "A+" in Social Studies, but an "F" in conduct. When "smart" kids act like an asshole, the teachers really resent you.

Submission and mediocrity example...I was double promoted in 1983...and kept back in 1986.

ziznak

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 05, 2012, 09:57:28 AM
         By late 1984(age 9), I was labeled ADD/Hyperactive and put on Ritalin and seeing a shrink weekly. I was always getting dragged out of  class for cognitive testing. High test scores, but a holy terror with chronic absenteeism. I'd get an "A+" in Social Studies, but an "F" in conduct. When "smart" kids act like an asshole, the teachers really resent you.

Submission and mediocrity example...I was double promoted in 1983...and kept back in 1986.
There's a whole list of Geniuses with 1st grade educations.  There's some really good institutions of learning out there don't get me wrong but you can be as learned as any other man with a  piece of paper. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 05, 2012, 09:57:28 AM

I kinda figured as much.  I have a nephew who's a lot like you.  Kid's been brilliant since he popped out of the womb, but oh, the refusals to be dragged into socialization.  In first grade he had to bring a canned good to donate to charity, which my sister-in-law supplied.  He had the damned can of corn or whatever in his backpack and all he had to do was walk up to the front of the room like all the other good little soldiers and drop it in the box, but he refused to do it.  It wasn't that he was an uncharitable child.  He was just not going to be told when and how to be charitable. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: ziznak on May 05, 2012, 10:27:23 AM
There's a whole list of Geniuses with 1st grade educations.  There's some really good institutions of learning out there don't get me wrong but you can be as learned as any other man with a  piece of paper.

I've always prized knowing that William Faulkner got an "F" in freshman comp, yet Absalom, Absalom pretty much competes with Penn Warren's All The King's Men for top American novel on many lists. 

Or maybe the "F" is an urban legend.  Either which way, I love it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 05, 2012, 10:50:09 AM
I kinda figured as much.  I have a nephew who's a lot like you.  Kid's been brilliant since he popped out of the womb, but oh, the refusals to be dragged into socialization.  In first grade he had to bring a canned good to donate to charity, which my sister-in-law supplied.  He had the damned can of corn or whatever in his backpack and all he had to do was walk up to the front of the room like all the other good little soldiers and drop it in the box, but he refused to do it.  It wasn't that he was an uncharitable child.  He was just not going to be told when and how to be charitable.

I certainly empathize with him. It's the seemingly "easy" stuff like the situation you mention where trouble lurks.

After being tested for roughly the 15th time as a kid and always getting the same result "you're very bright.. etc" I told the shrink adminstering the latest test -" You know why I do well? Because you put me in a room all by myself. There's no teacher for me to spar with, there's no kids to make fun of, there's no girls to show off in front of, no distractions"

So they tried sequestering me for two months. Put me in a back hallway with my work for the day. That "five hours" of work, I'd blitz through in about 30-45 minutes and then have nothing but time on my hands. It was awesome, roaming the halls, taunting my classmates...but the harridan principal nixed it because of "potential safety hazards"...and their well founded suspicion that once the warm weather came, I'd split and head to the basketball courts or baseball diamonds.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 04, 2012, 09:45:25 PM
         I'll gladly take the "Splendid Isolation" Warren Zevon sang about than be part of a community of busybodies and utopians who feel a need engage with others at all times.

I vividly recall Warren's final performance on Letterman.  It is accurate to use the term "reality TV" for what I witnessed.

A brave gut-wrenching farewell.

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 05, 2012, 09:00:10 AM

A resonating synopsis for Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner series.

When, in the early 1980s, some writer in OMNI Magazine touted the "Global Village,"  I cringed with disgust worthy of No. 6.

Xenophobic?  Hardly. I embrace the strange and/or unknown.

What I detest is the homogenizing effect of any powerful society, perpetuating the lowest common denominator/dominator.  Let's take all the cultures and blend them into gray goo and serve it up as ambrosia. No one will notice.

Defy the hive mind.

Let him who hath understanding, reckon the number of the bees.  For it is a human number.

Even our weapons cannot escape this ripple effect and have become drones.

"Where, O, Death, is thy sting?" indeed.  Clearly, the sting is secreted (secret + ion/aeon = secretion) within pharmaceutical grade Kool-Aid.

Morgus

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 05, 2012, 05:01:46 PM
A resonating synopsis for Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner series.

When, in the early 1980s, some writer in OMNI Magazine touted the "Global Village,"  I cringed with disgust worthy of No. 6.
Always proclaim: I am not a number. I am a free man.  8)

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 05, 2012, 02:29:56 PM
         I certainly empathize with him. It's the seemingly "easy" stuff like the situation you mention where trouble lurks.

After being tested for roughly the 15th time as a kid and always getting the same result "you're very bright.. etc" I told the shrink adminstering the latest test -" You know why I do well? Because you put me in a room all by myself. There's no teacher for me to spar with, there's no kids to make fun of, there's no girls to show off in front of, no distractions"

So they tried sequestering me for two months. Put me in a back hallway with my work for the day. That "five hours" of work, I'd blitz through in about 30-45 minutes and then have nothing but time on my hands. It was awesome, roaming the halls, taunting my classmates...but the harridan principal nixed it because of "potential safety hazards"...and their well founded suspicion that once the warm weather came, I'd split and head to the basketball courts or baseball diamonds.

I'm pretty fascinated by this topic, though I feel as if it's hijacking the Celebrity Deaths thread. 

That said, and apologies to all death news seekers, what a shame some teacher couldn't have connected with you on some level.  Before I taught college, I did a brief stint teaching high school.  My first year, I had a kid who fit this archetype, and he charmed the socks off me, a challenge I was going to conquer.  We had these absolutely stupid little grammar books where the kids were supposed to fill in the blanks in sentences with different adjectives while learning the wonders of parts of speech.  Trouble was, Brady was light years ahead of all the other kids in the class and could write circles around them already, understood compound-complex sentences, and sure didn't need this stupid little exercise.

Which he proved to me by filling in every single blank with the word "BLUE."  The rest of the session he spent reading a motorcycle magazine while other kids struggled. 

Kid liked me, though, and I liked him.  Eventually I got him involved in a literary magazine I started at the school, and it was (over time) absolute magic for him.  He got chosen as editor by the other kids.  He was important.  He had a job nobody else could do.  I don't know how he did in his other classes, but he was never a problem for me and actually started tutoring other kids in the class informally. 

Maybe it was a fluke.  I was a just a naive first-year teacher.  But if someone had connected with you the way I managed to reach Brady, it might have helped you out way back then.  Trouble is, after a few years on the job, a lot of teachers just give up and collect pay checks rather than commit to kids. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 05, 2012, 05:01:46 PM

What I detest is the homogenizing effect of any powerful society, perpetuating the lowest common denominator/dominator.  Let's take all the cultures and blend them into gray goo and serve it up as ambrosia. No one will notice.

You are singing my song, Cam.

When I was about 4, back in the day when gas stations used to pump your gas and give away free things, our neighorhood gas station was giving away helium balloons, blue ones to boys and pink ones to girls.  I wasn't an early feminist or anything, but I didn't like pink and remember resisting the notion that I had to take a pink balloon just 'cause I was a girl. 

That same year, my mother had put me in ballet class because I had shown an interest in dance.  I enjoyed it until the recital.  We still have a photo of it, 8 or 10 little girls dressed as fairy princesses and one dressed as an owl because she refused to be a fairy princess. 

Oddly enough, my mother seems proud of that photo.   

Fly By Night

Back on topic. God Bless you Goober. You made the Andy Griffith show great

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=726280

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 06, 2012, 10:12:08 AM
You are singing my song, Cam.

When I was about 4, back in the day when gas stations used to pump your gas and give away free things, our neighorhood gas station was giving away helium balloons, blue ones to boys and pink ones to girls.  I wasn't an early feminist or anything, but I didn't like pink and remember resisting the notion that I had to take a pink balloon just 'cause I was a girl. 

That same year, my mother had put me in ballet class because I had shown an interest in dance.  I enjoyed it until the recital.  We still have a photo of it, 8 or 10 little girls dressed as fairy princesses and one dressed as an owl because she refused to be a fairy princess. 

Oddly enough, my mother seems proud of that photo.

Really enjoyed your account of the famous "owl photo."

Juan

Steve Cropper posted on Facebook that Donald "Duck" Dunn died overnight in Japan.  He had just played two shows and died in his sleep.  My favorite line from the Blues Brothers movie was from Duck - "We had a sound powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline."

Sounds like an Art topic.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 13, 2012, 07:33:00 AM
Steve Cropper posted on Facebook that Donald "Duck" Dunn died overnight in Japan.  He had just played two shows and died in his sleep.  My favorite line from the Blues Brothers movie was from Duck - "We had a sound powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline."

Sounds like an Art topic.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gs1F-uqNTwk2BZXNcCUxcEr7fxDA?docId=cb120626e8864b8ab3b4af029e4c336a

kln1979

He died doing what he loved that is beautiful...the Stax review with live performances is top notch. Booker t and the M.G.S  backing Otis Redding ,Sam and Dave and others. is truely amazing.

Sardondi

Quote from: Fly By Night on May 06, 2012, 12:36:32 PM
Back on topic. God Bless you Goober. You made the Andy Griffith show great

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=726280

Gomer: "Goober says, 'Hey.' "
Andy: " 'Hey' to Goober."

Lovely Bones

As much as I hate disco, it's my duty to report that Donna Summer has died at age 63 after a battle with cancer. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Lovely Bones on May 17, 2012, 10:18:39 AM
As much as I hate disco, it's my duty to report that Donna Summer has died at age 63 after a battle with cancer.
I'd rather step on an AIDS-infected rusty nail than hear disco...but her '77 song with Giorgio Moroder, "I Feel Love" was a pretty cool classic C2C bumper.

Now if I can only get this coke booger out of my nostril.

Jasmine

I'm saddened to hear this, but thankfully her pain and suffering has come to an end. Rest in peace, sister, and keep the disco ball turning...for most of us, anyway...as eventually we'll all be joining the party "over there" - entrance to the celestial Studio 54 is optional.

Fair seas and sweet summer breezes, Donna.

A cliché this upload may be, but it's a classic tune that will never die - just like disco!  ;)

✿ DONNA SUMMER - I Feel Love (1977) ✿

ziznak

Even the people who listened to disco when it was popular only did so for the killer blow that seemed to follow.

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on May 17, 2012, 01:30:21 PM
Even the people who listened to disco when it was popular only did so for the killer blow that seemed to follow.

Uh...I don't know who you've been receiving 70's history lessons from, but that aint true, kiddo.  :o Not everyone boogied down to blow back then, according to my parents.

ziznak

Well, you get your potheads and drunks as with any genre but c'mon you have to admit that the tie between coke and disco is like the tie between peanuts and butter.