• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

This site is long overdue.

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 05, 2008, 03:14:46 PM

nika01

Thank God I have a place to vent. Thanks for this site.

I , too gave him a chance, and I have to say he continues to fail every night. He has an uncanny ability to screw up potentially great interviews. The worst example of this was when he had Robert Buval on and he was explaining the Grand Procession of the Equinox and how the Egyptians knew about it but intentionally didnt change their day length as we do, such that they could see the change of seasons as our planet progressed through space. Norry ruined this whole segment by asking a completely off topic STUPID question. God I wish Art would have done that interview.

He is such a poser. Worker in the Light indeed ! Right George

mikemcc

Quote from: nika01 on April 12, 2009, 08:22:27 AM
Norry ruined this whole segment by asking a completely off topic STUPID question. God I wish Art would have done that interview.

Yes, that is George's signature behavior. I don't know how many times I have heard a guest discuss something that is truly important -- something that the guest is building to a climax -- only to have George ask, completely out of the blue, "Tell people where they can get your book," or "How did you become interested in this area," or some similar inane question. It happens over and over again. As others have said, George is just not engaged in his interviews the way that Knapp, Ian, and Art are. I have used this example before, but I'll say again that it seems to me like George is doing his taxes during his interviews and he just steps back in when he hears a brief pause. I have never heard another interviewer who is so adept at spoiling what could be a great interview. George has his pre-made list of questions -- if he gets to the end of those questions, he has no problem simply asking one or two of them again. I always have to chuckle when George is desperately reading fast blasts looking for good questions but can't find any -- you can hear this as it happens. 

Mops

George Noory:  This is your life

?First time I met George was back when I was still ridin? the rails in Texas with LBJ?s nephew and a neighbor kid named Boyd.  They were having terrible problems with farmers and livestock getting? shot with stray bullets over in Refugio County.  We had a sneakin? suspicion it was this drifter named George Noory because he?d show up at our campfire just after sunset, all wall-eyed crazy like he was hopped up cactus juice, muttering about the stars making fun of him. The first time we just laughed and George shot Boyd?s thumb off, so he had to learn to jump box cars from the other side and cast a cane pole left handed.   Anyway, after George took off we got to noticin? the skies, and right after sunset the first stars at night did appear to spell out the words, ?George Noory Sucks.?  Last we heard, George was headed out to the Davis Mountains to try and get a closer shot.?

DarkBroodings

Thank the gods this sorum exists. It's about time too!!! You know a 'host' sucks when even a casual listener knows more about the subject matter. Most of his shows he's reading prepared questions and just surfing the web during the guests' answers. He's just ridiculous. Cheers.

EvB

Quoteost of his shows he's reading prepared questions

Know what?  Given that the guy is on 5 nights a week (dammit) I woudnt midntht so much if he FUCKING LISTEN TO THE ANSWERS and MODIFY his line of questioning based on said answers.  But noooooooooooooo . .

Guest:  I have evidence the is a secret military base, perhaps of non-terrestrial origin, under Antarctica.

George: AMAZING, now, speaking of the fertile crescent. . . .

Wizard444

Quote from: EvB on June 17, 2009, 02:33:42 PM
Know what?  Given that the guy is on 5 nights a week (dammit) I woudnt midntht so much if he FUCKING LISTEN TO THE ANSWERS and MODIFY his line of questioning based on said answers.  But noooooooooooooo . .

Guest:  I have evidence the is a secret military base, perhaps of non-terrestrial origin, under Antarctica.

George: AMAZING, now, speaking of the fertile crescent. . . .

He doesn't listen Tommy just pulls a string to make him talk.  Like a Raggedy Andy doll you just can't control what pops out of the puppets mouth.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Wizard444 on June 17, 2009, 09:37:12 PM
He doesn't listen Tommy just pulls a string to make him talk.  Like a Raggedy Andy doll you just can't control what pops out of the puppets mouth.
The internet movement that is anti-Noory, this site included, has made this guy so insecure. You think he would admit to poor questioning? Or making the effort to "assess" his damage?

Wizard444

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 17, 2009, 10:07:38 PM
The internet movement that is anti-Noory, this site included, has made this guy so insecure. You think he would admit to poor questioning? Or making the effort to "assess" his damage?

Sadly, as the listening thinkers leave the audience there is no shortage of listless lemmings to follow George over the cliff.  If one is not made to suffer his own consequences he can never improve upon himself.

Alan92587

I'm also an longtime C2C listener from the Art Bell days and the Parachat Internet (Login: skillzs) days.  I am loyal to the show but I must admit George Noory sucks. He cannot replace Art and he is a terrible Host. Art was cool smoking his cigarettes doing the show from his house. George is a boring commercial host with very little talent. George is placid and seems to be a nice guy. George is a terrible interviewer, and I do agree with many here on this site that he is just going through the motions for a paycheck. C2C was great, but now its mediocre. I wonder if Mr. Noory reads these comments? I wonder if Art Bell cares that we hate this guy? I don't mind Art is retired but at least find a worthy replacement.

pate

Quote from: Bratnbeer on April 06, 2008, 04:09:28 PM
Michael, Michael, Michael...

Yet one more brilliant stroke from your quazi imaginative mind! lol

Okay, okay, okay... we get it... George Noory is no Art Bell. And Jay Leno is no Johnny Carson either. The question is are there any fewer children being illigitimately conceived as a result of the change of hosts? I think not.

The world is indeed a Pandoras box, that when opened, in the words of Forrest Gump, "You never know what you're gonna get."
Due to reasons many and varied Art has seen fit to take yet another leave of absense. Perhaps to "watch the tonight show"... (nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more say no more.) He still makes occasional time which is greatly appreciated by all loyal listeners.

In the meantime out of the afformentioned box pops George. Astute, inquisitive, full of jovial verbosity... but not Art.
As it is written There is a time to every purpose under Heaven. We just happen to be living during the George Noory time. Compare it perhaps to the Carter years... kinda like scoth tape, nothing permanent, just sticky enough to hold the country together for a few years.

Listenership to C2C is up... and then there's Worker in the Light... and the Sci fi channel project... and the ever so slight hint of sexual undertones George uses when confronted with female callers of sultry voice... but I digress...

Where was I?... Oh yea... the point is, you have to give George his due. The ship is still in flight with more and more people boarding and the future is what we make it... third star to the right and straight on till morning... stiff upper lip and all that rot. Ours is not to wonder why and ask not what C2C can do for you... (which I believe may be the more unintentional reason for this site which ultimately can lead us to the higher question of)... but what can we do for C2C!

I will continue to listen to George... support him with any clever show ideas I can muster and continue to lose sleep and be even less productive on the following day. Rock on George!!!    (It's that or listen to Clark Howard... I rest my case.)

Thanks for your continued C2C related vengeance Michael, as always it is appreciated.With this site we can get our vibratory juices flowing, as it were, and make C2C the show we all know and expect it to be! God bless America!
(Paid for by supporters of Bratnbeer in '08 Farnsworth Huckabee treasuer)

Till my next 2 cents,
Bratnbeer

Aye!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

Cheers to all!

CozyRozie

Quote from: Σ> on April 05, 2008, 03:14:46 PM
You are reading the first of hopefully MANY posts on this message board, CoastGab.com.

My name is Michael Vandeven.  I'm 28 years old.  I started listening to Art Bell in the early 1990s back when Coast to Coast AM (or The Art Bell Show) was a nightly experience.  For the first time, somebody was able to host a nightly show focused on paranormal subject matter while being at least slightly more entertaining than throat cancer. 

It's always seemed ironic how such an interesting series of topics could put you to sleep if discussed by anybody but Art.  I don't know what made him different, but whatever it was, nobody else could touch him.  Art was funny in a strange way that could be appreciated both by teenage males and little old ladies.  He talked about himself and his personal life.  He didn't screen calls.  He allowed bullshit guests on the air but challenged all of them (and embarrassed some of them).

Then Art's problems began.  The surprise retirement on October 13, 1998 and his triumphant return a couple weeks later signaled the beginning of the end.  Then on April 26, 2000, Art's estimated 22-million listeners received a "permanent" replacement host for the first time in the form of Mike Siegel.  A disaster with shoes, Siegel presided over a quickly sinking ship with a panicked network begging Art to come back.  Art agreed, and for about a year, we thought the worst was over.  But the worst was yet to come.

George Noory permanently replaced Art Bell as the host of Coast to Coast AM on January 1, 2003.  The world would never be the same.

I gave Noory a chance for about 2 years.  I'm serious.  I gave him a legitimate chance to grow on me and toward the end of that chance, I concluded I'm ignoring a number of things about this man in order to stay in touch with the genre.

First off, he doesn't seem genuine.  At all.  From his seemingly feigned "Aw, shucks!" demeanor to his apparent disinterest in the topics C2C covers, Noory seems to have been the worst possible choice.  He isn't remarkably intelligent or academic, as evidenced by his non-sequitur meanderings and left-field conclusions on a nightly basis.  The show is an embarrassment as one attempts to absorb a fascinating topic through a mine field of Noory's needless interruptions and childlike inquiries amid guests in whose academic company Noory can't even sneeze convincingly.

Noory's background is that of a news director.  That's right.  Coast to Coast AM is now hosted by a news director.  And it feels like it.  He speaks like a career news guy.  He has the personality of a career news guy.  Because of this bland, generic contribution by George, C2C is in my opinion just like every paranormal show out there;  boring as all hell and hosted by somebody with no personality who fearfully and diligently screens his calls.

"What about the ratings, Michael?" you might ask.  "The ratings are great." you say.  And you might be right.  I haven't denied this.  However, when listening to the crop of people who call this show regularly in 2008, it's clear to me why this is; George has built a new audience.  The callers today don't sound to me like the same demographic of people who called back in the 1990s when Art was in the big chair.  Today, the C2C audience sounds less educated, more left-wing, and are comprised of a greater number of new-age "wicca types" who blather on and on about natural healing methods.  Rather than talk about nuclear arms technology or the science behind the secrets of our universe, they prefer to talk about seeing 11:11 on their Chinese-made alarm clock and pontificating for five minutes over what that really could mean.  They incessantly go on and on about the year 2012, and they are incapable of believing anything other than what Alex Jones tells them.

So why does this site exist?  Obviously the afore mentioned grievances are a factor, but don't misunderstand.  This is not intended to be a George Noory "hater" site.  After all, as much as I love Art Bell's contribution to broadcasting, it was he who brought us this train wreck.  To fall into that trap would be rather limiting and would essentially render this project a waste of time.  Coastgab.com is intended as a meeting place for those who have enjoyed Coast to Coast AM over the years, regardless of which host they prefer.  If you like Noory, say it.  If he makes you want to murder your 5 small children in a Texas bathtub, say it.  Argue with one another.  Become friends.  Hate each other.  Love each other.  It's all in line with the purpose behind this site.  However, unlike other C2C fan boards (you know who they are), you won't be censored every time you let an air biscuit.

CoastGab.com is intended to be an enjoyable environment where members are given a loose leash.  Enjoy, and spread the word.  Let's turn this board into the authoritative fan board.  As you can see, it has a long way to go.

I thought to take those who never read this first post by MV on a memory trip how it all started.
I'm posting link in Art Bell thread to it since now it's called after Art Bell's name...BellGab

CozyRozie

BTW,
is that was is called 'necro-posting' of very old threads,..but this thread is so very special..forgive me ;)

Quote from: Spikegirl on April 06, 2008, 07:02:53 PM
George has claimed to have cured cancer in OTHER people. I forget one of the anecdotes, but the second one he said he was out at a restaurant with a friend of his who had throat caner. George said he put his hands on his friend's throat (he just had a feeling he should do that) and that his friend's cancer was cured. Oh, George is always telling whoppers like this. That's part of the reason I can't stand to listen to him. He has started to make my skin crawl with just the sound of his voice. Yet sadly, I like the paranormal and some of the guests, so I force myself to listen until I just can't anymore.

In the beginning, I gave him a chance. I must have listened for 2 or 3 years and little by little, I began to notice things about George that just got on my nerves, such as the time he admitted that he did not know that identical twins had to be of the same sex. Or that dogs evolved from wolves. Then there were the thousand and one times he cut off a guest to interject some out of left field comment. Lately, you can actually hear the stunned silence from the guest before they regain their composure and answer his innane questions.

He also seems to enjoy asking old ladies who call the show to tell him how wonderful he is to get out of bed and do things for him. He asked one of them to look out the window and tell him the weather. He argues with them if they tell him it's late or if they have difficulty getting around. He still wants them to indulge him. Very creepy. He even asked a caller one night to disturb his friends at 2 am to ask a trivia question. George had open lines and he asked a caller what movie a certain line was from. The caller had no idea, so George said it was alright for him to call someone. The calller said he lived in the northeast and it was 2 am. George said to call his friends anyway and tell them that he is on the air with George Noory. Noory is so full of himself it is appalling. I am not surprised that he could not be bothered to interview a potentially interesting guest (see post by Sillydog re:comic book writer friend) and instead wanted the person to draw George as a superhero. That type of selfish narcisism is stock Noory.

Here I am getting radioactive treatment, spending all kinds of money, missing work, etc. All the meanwhile this dude who called me a low life can cure throat cancer . I am assuming that also means thyroid cancer. That jerk Noory is holding out.

CozyRozie

Quote from: nooryisawesomeâ,,¢ on July 03, 2017, 10:01:09 PM
Here I am getting radioactive treatment, spending all kinds of money, missing work, etc. All the meanwhile this dude who called me a low life can cure throat cancer . I am assuming that also means thyroid cancer.

did you ever watched youtube or read about drinking baking soda and black molasses mixture ??
seriously!

CozyRozie

Quote from: nooryisawesomeâ,,¢ on July 03, 2017, 10:01:09 PM
Here I am getting radioactive treatment, spending all kinds of money, missing work, etc. All the meanwhile this dude who called me a low life can cure throat cancer . I am assuming that also means thyroid cancer. That jerk Noory is holding out.

BTW,
I also got an email from StupidGeorge calling me a "low life" -so don't you feel so special... LOL ;)

CozyRozie

Quote from: slipstream on April 06, 2008, 10:26:29 PM
Thanks for the site.  I enjoy the streams frequently.

How about a "Praise Art Bell Section" or something along those lines?

Quote from: Σ> on April 07, 2008, 07:06:56 AM
good idea.  done.

..Where is it, I definitely like to contribute to it ;) ,..you know meee

CozyRozie

Quote from: Σ> on February 25, 2009, 11:47:07 PM
and thanks for using this site.

this site is nothing without those who use it.

That's why I use it, to make something out of this site

WildCard

nothing to add, just wanted to see the front page without any cancer, (you know who you are).

CozyRozie

Quote from: WildCard on July 05, 2017, 06:02:44 AM
nothing to add, just wanted to see the front page without any cancer, (you know who you are).

Oh, don't be shy, don't be coward, don't be timid -start naming names..be strong & solid in your convictions.. 8)

docmeat

Quote from: th'ONE on July 05, 2017, 08:54:57 AM
Oh, don't be shy, don't be coward, don't be timid -start naming names..be strong & solid in your convictions.. 8)

One solid post! Fuckface.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: mv on April 05, 2008, 03:14:46 PM
You are reading the first of hopefully MANY posts on this message board, CoastGab.com.

My name is Michael Vandeven.  I'm 28 years old.  I started listening to Art Bell in the early 1990s back when Coast to Coast AM (or The Art Bell Show) was a nightly experience.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

pate

Quote from: CozyRozie on July 03, 2017, 06:20:40 PM
BTW,
is that wassit called 'necro-posting' of very odor/mordor threads, yes...SHAZbut! this thread is so very special).forgive; me ..

FTEFY, no prob'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3poPmqfxNs