• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Juan Cena on August 24, 2017, 10:20:51 PM
This Texas caller would make Rick Perry hand the state back to Mexico.

And Rick Perry is involved how?

Juan Cena

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 24, 2017, 10:23:11 PM
And Rick Perry is involved how?

Should have said "want to", but frak, he's in Trumps's cabinet, so anything' possible.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 24, 2017, 10:28:14 PM
Have you battened down the hatches?

Pretty much. Stocked up with staples and waiting for the storm. If we get 30" of rain I might get nervous. Anything less than that and I should be fine.

Juan Cena

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 24, 2017, 10:30:47 PM
Pretty much. Stocked up with staples and waiting for the storm. If we get 30" of rain I might get nervous. Anything less than that and I should be fine.

Staples? Wouldn't bread and water have been a better option?

Juan Cena

Okay, Jill has been on before. Now if I could just remember if I called in that night.

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 24, 2017, 10:30:47 PM

Stay safe, GS.  You too, albrecht. Albrecht might also get a lot of rain which would be fairly unusual.  I expect lots of flash flooding.  The weather here in Georgia now is beautiful.  Slightly hot during the day but also dry and relatively cool at night.

Juan Cena

Jill came up with her own title?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you!

Juan Cena

So basically Jill is basically taking Plato's Cave, and making it more new age and BS-sy

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 24, 2017, 10:35:01 PM
Stay safe, GS.  You too, albrecht. Albrecht might also get a lot of rain which would be fairly unusual.  I expect lots of flash flooding.  The weather here in Georgia now is beautiful.  Slightly hot during the day but also dry and relatively cool at night.
Thanks, though GS has more of a potential problem. We would likely get some floods if rain potential is as they say, but I'm on high ground but nothing can soak in here (so flash floods and road closures or worse in places.) The coastal areas though. Some folks can't be taught. A relation (not blood) is sticking it out in the full-on area. Old timers. Pier and beam house and in rural ranch near Port Lavaca. So, literally, could float away and where they say it will hit. So jokes about tying house off with cable and rope to stuff. They are crazy (in a Texas way.) Ranchers and shrimpers etc and got boats away, folks trying to get livestock to places, even rice crop trying to get in before but "riding it out.") Everyone I know in Houston area is staying but went n got provisions. He said Spec's Liquor store in Woodlands was a zoo! No looting, obviously, but folks "preparing for being shut in." The last one spooked them (one buddy of mine left with his family and found his door kicked and looted upon return, so) when it was a 'bust' storm (this was in a "gentrifying" area close to UofH though.) Cry Wolf etc so most all I know staying. Hope it is not that bad for storm, flooding, or crime.

albrecht

Quote from: Juan Cena on August 24, 2017, 10:39:07 PM
So basically Jill is basically taking Plato's Cave, and making it more new age and BS-sy
The new-agey guy Norry had a few days ago (some adjunct-professor at a minor Oregon college) said that Plato ("and that other guy, Aristotle") was on psychedelics.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on August 24, 2017, 11:08:33 PM
The new-agey guy Norry had a few days ago (some adjunct-professor at a minor Oregon college) said that Plato ("and that other guy, Aristotle") was on psychedelics.

Maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia#Fumes_and_vapors

aldousburbank

Quote from: albrecht on August 24, 2017, 11:08:33 PM

The Road to Eleusis: Unveiling the Secret of the Mysteries
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1556437528/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_Po7NzbB13Z016

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 24, 2017, 11:18:23 PM
Maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia#Fumes_and_vapors
Everyone knows about that. And many more references in various myths, history, etc all over the world. I'm not denying that people didn't use things, though I do have some doubt on the grand-theory that all great-thinkers, artists, etc were doing so. Or that it was the substance that related purely the observations, philosophy, religion, science, music, or art. It can, then again, maybe it prohibited it? Cases might differ. But that is an aside- I was complaining on the cavalier way it was assumed, after the almost Junior High explanation of Plato's "Cave", the comment: "the other guy,... Aristotle" reference. Like, just, what was that other dude back then? Assuming only "two guys" (ridiculous) and also how could one forget Aristotle?

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 24, 2017, 11:22:56 PM
The Road to Eleusis: Unveiling the Secret of the Mysteries
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1556437528/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_Po7NzbB13Z016
Yes, yes, yes. I knew you would be "monitoring" any threads on this subject!  ;) I also have well thumbed version of Masters&Houston's "Varieties on Psychedelic Experience." Casteneda etc I think was a fraud (but fun reading.) But the later cults, I'll say, it based on the neo-hippie potential movement etc etc was worse. (I'm not blaming the various substances but leaders and ideas around them.) But I defer to you on these subjects! I just say that I don't like the idea of the "tortured artist" or that drugs, booze, or mental illness are the 'source' of genius, religion, spirituality, art, or - in whatever matters. Maybe they can enhance- but, at the same time- maybe they cut short or misdirect it? Or the "tune in, drop out" type of sloth. (Now I have nothing against starting your own society, commune, farm, or whatever, but that still involves work and some connections with people.) Hard to put a 'scientific' study on that. Especially individually. Economics or healthwise one could come up with studies and show use of some things helped society etc.

Lilith

I think the verbal battle is built into our vocabulary.

Right/Wrong
Positive/Negative
Good/Bad
Win/Loose

etc.

Society taught through use of language,  to compare and judge, instead of include. IMO.

Lilith

The word "better" is a comparison position between the concepts  good OR bad. 
Instead of thinking everything includes aspects of both extremes, and all positions in between.

Lilith

I wonder how many people miss out on the present while intending "better" futures?

Lilith

"Of course I would be against the hateful side"

LOL's

Lilith

"If everyone wanted to move in the "right" direction".

As compared to everyone wanting to move in the "wrong" direction?

Lilith

I think the caller is trying to emphasize that everyone has their own path.  Including differences instead of judging, or trying to force everyone down the same "right" path.