• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

BillW50

Quote from: Jesus Undercarriage on November 05, 2013, 03:06:23 PM
Come on people...pull your shit together. A mere 48 hours ago you guys were all virtually holding hands dancing round in a ring of shit roses with a pocket full of shit!!! Now look whats happened....Bell-end's kicked up a shit storm and you cant see for the shit blizzard!! Lets take this shit down a notch!

We are suppose to cut Art some slack when he has pulled this his whole life? You are kidding right?

Art Bell

Hi there, I am now on the site, I tried Yesterday but it would not take my PW, I tried to change it because I thought I might
not have remembered it correctly. Today it is taking my original PW just fine.

If it will help, I am sorry. I know many of you are angry in your usual style which I expected but there is nothing new I can say
that will make any of you feel any better. It is as I have said, I had hundreds of emails from people who tried the 30 day free
trial and were getting dropped left and right, Sirius was aware of the problem.(many of you know because you tried to
help with the error reporting)  I am sure some dropped because they did not like my show or just did not have the money, but
by far most dropped because of the drops. This was a problem that we talked to them virtually every day about and learned that
it would be a long term fix.

As I mentioned in my emails Yesterday the net effect was that my base was gone, those of you who listened to the show must
have noticed, I sure did, so I asked Sirius for a Year of free streaming or until they could fix the problem, they did offer a second
free 30 day trial but what point is there in that if people would have the same experience? Anything beyond that, they were unwilling
to do. It just did not make any sense to me that pirates were posting programs the next day and live streams were popping up all
over the place that did not even carry our commercials without anybody doing anything about it, just crazy. Why not stream until
the problem was fixed with our commercials? It was a widespread problem including here on Bell Gab, right? My thinking was and
still is that it would have drawn many more into the program, eventually becomming full subs.

I am still open to patching this up, but not without some tip of the hat to those that left because of the streaming problem, we even offered
to pay for the streaming ourselves until it could be fixed. Anyway I am here so feel free to continue to cut me up and you can be
sure I am absorbing your anger.

Art

Again I am truly sorry to those who got caught in this and lost any money because you bought a radio or tried the NET.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Goodpumba on November 05, 2013, 03:07:02 PM
when i called in to cancel Sirius gave me 2 free months and said to stick around and see if thing get sorted out  8)

So is this a new policy that they have adapted and shall be offering all who cancel giving their reason because Art's a dick?

;D

Surmo

For professional and personal reasons I was out of the loop for two days, and I return to this.

I didn't think Art was serious last Thursday, and thought he was pressuring Sirius to cave in on various things to help the listener, i.e. us.  You know, technical work, raising the quality, etc.  When I return, I tune in to listen to Mondays show, and find this carnage?  How could you do this Art?  Your excuse(s) seem so shallow, and are exactly that, excuses.

Now I am left holding the bag.  I am one of those who went all in, even buying a radio for a car I don't yet own.  I dreamed of your return when the cynics on this page were rampant.  Once you returned, I knew it was for a limited time only, maybe a couple years if we were lucky, but you gave us THIS?

I can't give up on listening to your old shows, or hoping you return.  But for even me, one of your die-hard fans, permanent damage has been done.  And, barring a return within days, irrepairable damage.

jblank

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 03:10:18 PM
Hi there, I am now on the site, I tried Yesterday but it would not take my PW, I tried to change it because I thought I might

If it will help, I am sorry. I know many of you are angry in your usual style which I expected but there is nothing new I can say
that will make any of you feel any better. It is as I have said, I had hundreds of emails from people who tried the 30 day free
trial and were getting dropped left and right, Sirius was aware of the problem.(many of you know because you tried to
help with the error reporting)  I am sure some dropped because they did not like my show or just did not have the money, but
by far most dropped because of the drops. This was a problem that we talked to them virtually every day about and learned that

As I mentioned in my emails Yesterday the net effect was that my base was gone, those of you who listened to the show must
have noticed, I sure did, so I asked Sirius for a Year of free streaming or until they could fix the problem, they did offer a second
free 30 day trial but what point is there in that if people would have the same experience? Anything beyond that, they were unwilling
to do. It just did not make any sense to me that pirates were posting programs the next day and live streams were popping up all
over the place that did not even carry our commercials without anybody doing anything about it, just crazy. Why not stream until
the problem was fixed with our commercials? It was a widespread problem including here on Bell Gab, right? My thinking was and
still is that it would have drawn many more into the program, eventually becomming full subs.

I am still open to patching this up, but not without some tip of the hat to those that left because of the streaming problem, we even offered
to pay for the streaming ourselves until it could be fixed. Anyway I am here so feel free to continue to cut me up and you can be

Art

Again I am truly sorry to those who got caught in this and lost any money because you bought a radio or tried the NET.

One time when I was younger, I got mad at a former boss because I didn't feel like he was doing something in a way that I believed was best. I didn't quit my job over it.

Jackstar

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 05, 2013, 02:44:24 PM
I have been registered here since December 01, 2009, 11:25:24 PM
I rarely chat it up... so yeah I'm not that active of a member, but I been around the block with this shit  :D
I like talk radio and stuff.. ya dig?
8) Argghh!!
and oh since its like a thing to say to one another in this thread now .. go have sweaty relations with your mom.. using your penis or what's left of it.
;D haha Weeeeeeee!
I wasn't actually talking about you there, but it is pretty awesome the way you just stepped right up and outed yourself.

schwing!

BillW50

Hi there, I am now on the site...

Come on Art! Grow up! Sirius is first a satelite radio company and not a Internet streaming company. And many of us had no problems with the Internet streams. And to blame Sirius for problems with streams when many had none is just nonsense! Just grow up man! You are what 68 years old now. Geez!

Marc.Knight

Art

Art, perhaps you could give them a little more time.  Seems premature to step out of the game so early over something less than devastating to the program.  It wouldn't hurt to call them up and say "look, I'm serious about these quality issues because I run a quality program.  Let's incrementally make this the best experience we can...."  We'd like you to come back Art.  It is easier than you think.

coaster

Art, you knew what you were getting into when you went with Sirius. You should of asked other hosts or listeners what their experience was with Sirius beforehand. You'd think a lifelong radio personality would of researched this medium before jumping in. And then asking people to buy all those gadgets and subscriptions, just to run off like that. Wasn't very classy. If you are not tied up in a non compete, try regular radio or something.
edit. sorry, thought my post got deleted..

Thanks for posting, Art, yet I still don't understand why you would pull out of Dark Matter instead of staying on and working out the kinks with SiriusXM. The main reason I listen is not for open lines but the interviews, Dreamland style - please reconsider this "all or nothing" position and work with management to get something done.

Art

This sounds like a bit more than a storm in a shit cup to me Art. Why take down the facebook page and make us mix our morning porridge with a shit stirrer?

Jackstar

Quote from: Spooky Matter on November 05, 2013, 02:51:20 PMMy 12 year old said that once and I smacked him.
Are you admitting to being an American, or are you simply admitting to being a vile human being?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporal_punishment

HumanBeing

Quote from: Jackstar on November 05, 2013, 03:14:56 PM
I wasn't actually talking about you there, but it is pretty awesome the way you just stepped right up and outed yourself.

schwing!

You're a weird dude.
Every thread needs a few assholes such as yourself.
I'll be happy to report to you that you're filling the needed quota  ;D

WildCard

I'm not mad at you, Art. You don't owe us anything. I'll be there when you come back.

Jackstar

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 05, 2013, 03:17:55 PM
You're a weird dude.

I am prepared to accept your adulation, but really, you are not my usual admirer. Can you take yourself back to charm school? Thanks.

Coz

Art

Art,

Just man-up and admit your heart is not in it. I would respect that.

You could have simply added more advertising, and asked Sirius to put the show out free as a loss leader until problems were solved. Let the advertising pay for things. And besides, good negotiation takes longer than he time you gave it. My opinion.

Yes, I'm terribly pissed off. Not because you made a decision, but because when on the air you are the best EVER.

We will not see the likes of you again, and Noory is the booby prize.

Whatever you do in the future... do it well.

Mhayhurst

Quote from: Philosopher on November 05, 2013, 03:16:14 PM

Art, perhaps you could give them a little more time.  Seems premature to step out of the game so early over something less than devastating to the program.  It wouldn't hurt to call them up and say "look, I'm serious about these quality issues because I run a quality program.  Let's incrementally make this the best experience we can...."  We'd like you to come back Art.  It is easier than you think.

+1

MarkP

Art

Okay - so some of the old fans - who were probably opposed to the concept of paying for your show from the start, left.   That sucks, and is unfortunate.     That all said, their are many many more people who were enjoying the show - and realized that it was a work in progress.

You made yourself very accessible to fans - and thus were bombarded with negative feedback.  The other listeners were largely silent, because we were enjoying what we were hearing.

I truly hope you don't take the small negative segment as the reason you're quitting the show.  There is a much larger group who truly enjoyed the SiriusXM show, and the service they offered.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Philosopher on November 05, 2013, 03:16:14 PM

Here here!!  :D
But sadly, that sounds too sensible for Ol' Art to fathom.

The General

Art,
Cancelling the entire show because of stream hiccups is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Most of us feel that this is all just a convenient excuse and an 'out' for you.  The show was great!

Why the hell would you do this?  Your explanations don't add up.
Sirius bent over backwards and was giving you everything you wanted.
Permission to 'pirate' your own show is an unreasonable demand.

... If it will help, I am sorry. I know many of you are angry in your usual style which I expected but there is nothing new I can say
that will make any of you feel any better....

As I mentioned in my emails Yesterday the net effect was that my base was gone...
Thanks for posting Art, and I am glad you apologized.  But there is something you can say to make us feel better. Say that you acted in haste, and that you will be on the air tonight.

Because, we are your base.  And we were with you until 24 hours ago.

Jackstar

Quote from: The General on November 05, 2013, 03:20:27 PM
Sirius bent over backwards and was giving you everything you wanted.
You people are all idiots.

EarthAlien007

Art

Where do we go from here?
I'm sure your phone is ringing. There's always the online option.
I'm looking forward to your next show.

Art, I appreciate you posting here but it has only been six weeks! You yourself said that SiriusXM told you it would be a long-term fix - meaning they were working on a fix!

Yes, people getting dropped on online streams is a problem. Maybe setting up an alternate stream on ArtBell.com where people could log in with their SiriusXM username/password could have worked. But surely you can't be surprised that SiriusXM would not be on board with giving away your show for free.

It just seems way too early in the game to throw in the towel with an ultimatum like that. The show, your listeners - heck you and your legacy itself - deserve better than just quitting.

Jackstar

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on November 05, 2013, 03:20:51 PM
... were you even born in '86?

Mhayhurst

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on November 05, 2013, 03:20:51 PM
Thanks for posting Art, and I am glad you apologized.  But there is something you can say to make us feel better. Say that you acted in haste, and that you will be on the air tonight.

+1

That would be sooooo awesome if you came back tonight Art.

eddie dean

Quote from: Jesus Undercarriage on November 05, 2013, 03:06:23 PM
Come on people...pull your shit together. A mere 48 hours ago you guys were all virtually holding hands dancing round in a ring of shit roses with a pocket full of shit!!! Now look whats happened....Bell-end's kicked up a shit storm and you cant see for the shit blizzard!! Lets take this shit down a notch!

if we are quoting  Mr Lahey's "shit" references, the most appropriate one would be: " A shit  leopard never changes its spots".

coaster

Jackstar is the sole reason for the ignore feature. Using it now.