• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: phrodo on September 13, 2015, 03:18:08 PM
At least you can spend some time with her after school... that's prime time anyway. Then after supper or her bedtime you can go to work. You also have time between noon and Asia coming home from school for alone time with Airyn. Even if you only get to do a few hours of show prep ... that puts you at about four more hours of prep than Dave does.  ;)

Yes, I assume that Asia is sleeping from 9pm to 6am anyway, so that is the perfect time for Art to "play" as it were.

BellBoy

Quote from: phrodo on September 13, 2015, 03:18:08 PM
At least you can spend some time with her after school... that's prime time anyway. Then after supper or her bedtime you can go to work. You also have time between noon and Asia coming home from school for alone time with Airyn...

I did just that years ago, for about ten years actually, with a young family, working nights, waiting for my promotion from middle management to the big-leagues in my company. I got the big, fat promotion, and a divorce. All these years later, I once again have a young family. I won't be making the same mistakes again...

Art Bell

Well here is the deal, even a younger person must adjust your day to do a show that is 9PM-12AM, meaning you can not make it the end of your day but more like the middle of your day. Plus I drink Coffee to be as alert as I must be. I am not complaining but just explaining.

The show is fun but the price is pretty high at the personal level. If it ever comes to it I might just turn it over to the right person or just keep doing it.

At any rate feel free to always say anything you feel about any show you have strong feelings about, does not bother me a bit.

Art

coaster

If money were not an issue, I'd rather spend time with my children than work. Thats time you won't get back.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Art Bell on September 13, 2015, 03:32:16 PM
Well here is the deal, even a younger person must adjust your day to do a show that is 9PM-12AM, meaning you can not make it the end of your day but more like the middle of your day. Plus I drink Coffee to be as alert as I must be. I am not complaining but just explaining.

The show is fun but the price is pretty high at the personal level. If it ever comes to it I might just turn it over to the right person or just keep doing it.

At any rate feel free to always say anything you feel about any show you have strong feelings about, does not bother me a bit.

Art

If it ever becomes a big problem I beg you to look at changing your time slot instead of quitting the show.  I know this type of radio is traditionally done in the overnight spot but maybe make it midday or afternoon with late night replays?  Hell, do it in the mornings.  We don't care, we will still listen. :D

Art

We want you around for as long as possible. If it came to it, would you do a 1pm show? I know most of us would adjust our schedules to listen live or at worst, listen to the podcast.

BellBoy

Art

Mr. Bell, we absolutely appreciate the personal price that you pay for your art-form. If it ever stops being fun or threatens your personal happiness, walk away.

No harm, no foul.

Me? I'm in the passenger seat of one finely-tuned vehicle, jamming down the road at 142 mph and I'll enjoy this ride just as far as it goes...

albrecht

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 13, 2015, 03:36:55 PM
If it ever becomes a big problem I beg you to look at changing your time slot instead of quitting the show.  I know this type of radio is traditionally done in the overnight spot but maybe make it midday or afternoon with late night replays?  Hell, do it in the mornings.  We don't care, we will still listen. :D
Or a less caller-driven show (like old Dreamland or Bateman's Dark City) which then could be recorded in "normal" hours and played later? And then, maybe, only a few "live" with caller shows at night occasionally (I think callers in the day-time would quickly just get into politics and sports as that is the usual business hours talk radio.)

AppealPlay

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 13, 2015, 03:38:33 PM
We want you around for as long as possible. If it came to it, would you do a 1pm show? I know most of us would adjust our schedules to listen live or at worst, listen to the podcast.

+1 on this.  Move the time slot if it becomes a big issue.  I'll find a way to listen even if it's 9am my time.  I bet it would even make more money with archive subscriptions.

BellBoy

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 13, 2015, 03:39:56 PM
+1 on this.  Move the time slot if it becomes a big issue.  I'll find a way to listen even if it's 9am my time.  I bet it would even make more money with archive subscriptions.

Hell, if you make it an afternoon drive-time show, that puts you on at midnight here!

Quote from: albrecht on September 13, 2015, 03:39:53 PM
Or a less caller-driven show (like old Dreamland or Bateman's Dark City) which then could be recorded in "normal" hours and played later? And then, maybe, only a few "live" with caller shows at night occasionally (I think callers in the day-time would quickly just get into politics and sports as that is the usual business hours talk radio.)

Yes!

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 13, 2015, 03:39:56 PM

And yes!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on September 13, 2015, 03:38:33 PM

What a splendidly insightful post, if I may say so.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 13, 2015, 03:48:57 PM
What a splendidly insightful post, if I may say so.

Why, thank you sir.

MR. Spock

Art
You are a better host then snoory. The only problem that I have with you art is that the magic is not the same as it was in the 90s. Even on your bad day you are still better then the other guy on the other show.

MR. Spock

Art if you need a co-host that is younger then you, How about Falkie??  He does needs a job.

coaster

Change your timeslot. Call it midnight in the afternoon. Do it while your daughter is in school. Or something. There are 24 hours in a day.

K_Dubb

Time with family is great but my dad retired with much anticipation after 45 years to essentially become my mom's chore-boy, helping around the house.  Within two years we saw the first signs of dementia.

Fuck that shit.  I'm going to work until I drop.  Especially if I can keep doing something I love.

coaster

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 13, 2015, 03:57:19 PM
Time with family is great but my dad retired with much anticipation after 45 years to essentially become my mom's chore-boy, helping around the house.  Within two years we saw the first signs of dementia.

Fuck that shit.  I'm going to work until I drop.  Especially if I can keep doing something I love.
My father is 71 and still busts his ass, by choice. He hates sitting around doing nothing, and refuses to stop working.

AppealPlay

Quote from: coaster on September 13, 2015, 03:57:05 PM
IChange your timeslot. Call it midnight in the afternoon. Do it while your daughter is in school. Or something. There are 24 hours in a day.

Middays in the Desert.  And yes I'm serious.  Art, if you need to make a change please consider going to middays while your daughter is at school.

Art

Yes I am sure it tough on the family. But Art knew that going in I'm sure.

Honestly, I'm not sure what Art is saying here. Is he just explaining or is he looking at cutting back? Is this an issue now or in the future?

Bradsmith313

Quote from: Art Bell on September 13, 2015, 02:06:00 PM
Still like the Raiders but we are more of a Green Bay Family now and for the last few Years.

Art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqLhdInGrk

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 13, 2015, 03:18:48 PM
The issue of time to spend with family keeps coming up - and it's certainly a legitimate one.  It does make me think the show will come to an end sooner rather than later.

Why not do the program once a week, or however many times a week will give you the right balance between your personal life and the show?  It wouldn't even have to be set in stone - twice one week, 3 times the following week, skip a week or two for a family vacation, 3 shows the following week, a couple week of just Friday and Saturday, and so on.  We all have internet access and can easily check the schedule

Heck, yeah.  Some Art Bell is better than no Art Bell.  Whatever it takes to make MITD work, Art.  Once a week, twice a week, use a guest host of the Bateman-caliber.  There are a number of options to consider to have your cake and eat it, too.  ;)

Damn, going "cold turkey" with no Art at all is tough.  I'm still suffering the scars from the Sirius experience.  It was traumatic to go from the high of having you back on the air to the rapid no-Art-at-all shock.   :( :'( 

Sure we Gabblings complain but for most of us, it's only because we care. 

ItsOver

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 13, 2015, 04:02:19 PM
Yes I am sure it tough on the family. But Art knew that going in I'm sure.

Honestly, I'm not sure what Art is saying here. Is he just explaining or is he looking at cutting back? Is this an issue now or in the future?
I'm not sure but I think I'm going to be wetting the bed again.

K_Dubb

Quote from: coaster on September 13, 2015, 03:59:17 PM
My father is 71 and still busts his ass, by choice. He hates sitting around doing nothing, and refuses to stop working.

He's a smart man.  Dad has a couple volunteer gigs he obsesses on.  He may forget Mom's name but he remembers he has to docent at the county museum on Saturday afternoon.  The structure, and the feeling of being useful, necessary and depended on for something more than weeding or mowing the lawn, is what is keeping him going.

Quote from: ItsOver on September 13, 2015, 04:23:17 PM

It was a confusing post, at least to me. Art said he was just explaining. But then talked about turning the show over or continue himself. Was he talking about in a few years or now?

BellBoy

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 13, 2015, 04:30:14 PM
It was a confusing post, at least to me. Art said he was just explaining. But then talked about turning the show over or continue himself. Was he talking about in a few years or now?
Quote from: BellBoy on September 12, 2015, 05:44:42 PM
To be fair, we've all seen Art pick up his ball and go home before too...

...it is sounding rather ominous. SixWeekTenure(tm), what say you? (Time to slightly modify the trademark?)

AppealPlay

I think I might cry if Art quits MITD.  I haven't had a good cry in a long time. :'(

I just hopes he understands he has options if the current timeslot isn't working.  There are many, many ways to make MITD work whether it be pre-recorded shows or new timeslot or whatever.  I hope he considers those options before making a brash decision.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 13, 2015, 04:24:52 PM
He's a smart man.  Dad has a couple volunteer gigs he obsesses on.  He may forget Mom's name but he remembers he has to docent at the county museum on Saturday afternoon.  The structure, and the feeling of being useful, necessary and depended on for something more than weeding or mowing the lawn, is what is keeping him going.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/11/the-dutch-village-where-everyone-has-dementia/382195/
Having lost a few family members to Alzheimers (or side-effects) I find this idea fascinating. Also in a more sci-fi/The Prisoner kind of way. Not being a doctor or psychiatrist on a gut level I can understand how this could work. Of course expensive but an interesting thing and I look forward to more studies to see how this works.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 13, 2015, 04:30:14 PM

I think he was just thinking out loud about what might happen if he ever gets tired of doing it. Since Art owns it, he could say "gonna take a few months off!" and have a fill in host and then come back or whatever he wants to do. It's not like the old corporate days. Anything seems possible.

coaster

The constant uncertainty of the status of the show is frustrating and exhausting. I probably won't have anything to do with DMDN when and if Art decides to leave. Just have to enjoy it while it lasts. I suppose the same can be said about anything really.