• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What Should Really Be Inside A First Aid Kit?

Started by Jojo, February 10, 2018, 12:17:48 PM

Jojo

Everywhere I go, first aid kits suck.  They usually have a couple painkillers individually wrapped, some tiny little bandages, a pair of tweezers, some antiseptic (if you're lucky)... That's about it.

When emergencies happen, people need glucose, ice, Benydryl, a meal replacement bar, hand warmers, a disposable thermometer, eye wash, water, a cup, a calming agent like chamomile or Calms Forte, a ventilated mask, sprain wrap, large sanitary wound pads and large adhesive bandages, menstrual pads, maybe an OTC inhaler like Primatine, cough drops, mucous relief........

Because a little paper cut the size of which most emergency kits supply is not as much of an emergency as an asthma attack, hypoglycemia, a sprain, a knot on the head, a sudden fever, dehydration, something large or toxic in the eye, unexpected large bleeding, uncontrollable coughing, etc...

There are ice packs which do not require refrigeration.  One of our local businesses keeps them on hand.

What would YOU say an ideal first aid kit should stock?

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on February 10, 2018, 12:17:48 PM
Everywhere I go, first aid kits suck.  They usually have a couple painkillers individually wrapped, some tiny little bandages, a pair of tweezers, some antiseptic (if you're lucky)... That's about it.

When emergencies happen, people need glucose, ice, Benydryl, a meal replacement bar, hand warmers, a disposable thermometer, eye wash, water, a cup, a calming agent like chamomile or Calms Forte, a ventilated mask, sprain wrap, large sanitary wound pads and large adhesive bandages, menstrual pads, maybe an OTC inhaler like Primatine, cough drops, mucous relief........

Because a little paper cut the size of which most emergency kits supply is not as much of an emergency as an asthma attack, hypoglycemia, a sprain, a knot on the head, a sudden fever, dehydration, something large or toxic in the eye, unexpected large bleeding, uncontrollable coughing, etc...

There are ice packs which do not require refrigeration.  One of our local businesses keeps them on hand.

What would YOU say an ideal first aid kit should stock?
Tampons are a better choice. Besides their normal use they can be used for bullet wounds, nosebleeds, as a bandage, as a fire-starter tinder, as a crude water filter, and folks have even figured out ways to use the plastic part (fishing bobber, concentrate breath when starting a fire, etc) in a pinch.

GravitySucks

I bought one of those big ammo box looking waterproof boxes and put reflective tape on all 4 sides. It makes up part of my bug out kit. Might have to use it on the side of the road.

It holds full size bottles of 91% isopropyl, hydrogen peroxide and then whatever else you feel you need.  It really depends on your location. I only have one space blanket. If you were up north you might want more. I have meat tenderizer, ammonia and a snake bite kit. Away from the coast you probably don’t need them.

I keep this inside the closet in my bathroom so I only need one set of things like tweezers, hemostats and a small magnifying glass.

I keep a ziploc of latex gloves in there too.

I have had to use it several times when traveling and camping. Comes in handy if you can afford the expense and the minor clutter.

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 10, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
I bought one of those big ammo box looking waterproof boxes and put reflective tape on all 4 sides. It makes up part of my bug out kit. Might have to use it on the side of the road.

It holds full size bottles of 91% isopropyl, hydrogen peroxide and then whatever else you feel you need.  It really depends on your location. I only have one space blanket. If you were up north you might want more. I have meat tenderizer, ammonia and a snake bite kit. Away from the coast you probably don’t need them.

I keep this inside the closet in my bathroom so I only need one set of things like tweezers, hemostats and a small magnifying glass.

I keep a ziploc of latex gloves in there too.

I have had to use it several times when traveling and camping. Comes in handy if you can afford the expense and the minor clutter.
Thanks for reminding me about zip locking the gloves and remembering the common liquids!
What is ammonia good for?  Meat tenderizer? 
Ammo box - what a great idea!  I had tried a soft tackle tote (for fishing), only to find out the bottom wasn't really waterproof at all.  Weird, bec fishing is around wet stuff.  But anyhow, I'll start checking out better boxes, thanks!  I like the idea of basically having one place for a full kit and portable, thanks.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on February 10, 2018, 12:51:02 PM
Tampons are a better choice. Besides their normal use they can be used for bullet wounds, nosebleeds, as a bandage, as a fire-starter tinder, as a crude water filter, and folks have even figured out ways to use the plastic part (fishing bobber, concentrate breath when starting a fire, etc) in a pinch.
Good to know!  (....cramp...). I still haven't figured out your gender!

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on February 10, 2018, 11:31:22 PM
Thanks for reminding me about zip locking the gloves and remembering the common liquids!
What is ammonia good for?  Meat tenderizer? 
Ammo box - what a great idea!  I had tried a soft tackle tote (for fishing), only to find out the bottom wasn't really waterproof at all.  Weird, bec fishing is around wet stuff.  But anyhow, I'll start checking out better boxes, thanks!  I like the idea of basically having one place for a full kit and portable, thanks.

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/medical-uses-for-adolphs-meat-tenderizer-12256485.html

Ammonia on a rag or cotton ball can be used as smelling salts but it seems to help dire ant bites if you apply it right after getting bit.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 10, 2018, 11:37:36 PM
https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/medical-uses-for-adolphs-meat-tenderizer-12256485.html

Ammonia on a rag or cotton ball can be used as smelling salts but it seems to help dire ant bites if you apply it right after getting bit.
I've heard of the Adolphs alternative use also. Ha. And amazing the brand name, considering. But after. As is an old barbershop here with the name.

TigerLily

Interesting you should start this thread. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I would like to make up emergency bug out bags for myself and one or two people I hope would survive whatever apocalypse may be headed this way. Something to keep in the car trunk as step one then something more complete to stick in the corner of the garage. A first aid kit would be part of the bug out bag

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on February 11, 2018, 12:40:21 AM
Interesting you should start this thread. I was just thinking a couple of days ago that I would like to make up emergency bug out bags for myself and one or two people I hope would survive whatever apocalypse may be headed this way. Something to keep in the car trunk as step one then something more complete to stick in the corner of the garage. A first aid kit would be part of the bug out bag

I knew they'd be coming for you eventually. ;)

GravitySucks

Just remember that a lot if the stuff in a first aid kit like antibiotics and medications and ointments can’t take the heat of a car trunk.

People in Mexico are lucky in that they can get a bottle of antibiotics and muscle relaxers to keep in the refrigerator.

Jackstar

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 11, 2018, 12:56:17 AM
People in Mexico are lucky in that they can get a bottle of antibiotics and muscle relaxers adulterated with fentanyl to keep in the refrigerator.

FTFY

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 10, 2018, 11:37:36 PM

QuotePhytobezoar
A phytobezoar is a ball of food, made up of vegetable fibers, skins, and seeds, bound tightly together in an indigestible ball. Phytobezoar can cause intestinal blockages and pain. In the February 2007 issue of Pharmacotherapy magazine, David Cloney, MD, Erica Baker, PharmD and William Baker, PharmD reported on the case of a man with a phytobezoar who was treated with one teaspoon of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer dissolved in water before each meal for seven days. At the end of the seven days, the phytobezoar was gone, dissolved by the enzyme in the meat tenderizer.

human Drano.
good to know.
thanks.

careful. that's how it starts.  ;D

TigerLily

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on February 11, 2018, 04:35:11 AM
careful. that's how it starts.  ;D

lol. Nice (literally) digs. The wall to wall murals and faux antique furniture give it a nice not-stuck-in-an-underground-bunker-for-the-rest-of-your-short-miserable-life ambience. Maybe the better option instead of the bug out bags is to keep the car gassed up and head toward ground zero and the Light. But I guess a first aid kit isn't a bad idea

Uncle Duke

The contents should be a function of the kit's intended purpose and should only include items you know how/are trained to use.  The average commercially available kit should be sufficient for the scrapped knee/splinter in the finger type injuries the majority of homes have first aid kits to address.  Most people aren't trained to do much more than basic first aid anyway, dab on a little Neosporin and put on a bandaid.  Conversely, we have very eloborate medical kits both in our cars and at home because Mrs Duke in a long time RN with years of ER and ICU experience.  Without her I'd know how to effectively use little of it, but have had to break out the supplies on a couple occasions. The first time was at the scene of an auto accident, the second was after a good friend broke open post-operative stitches.  I've also had to give CPR and do the Heimlich Maneuver, thankfully only once each. 

The medical kit I carry in my truck is a surplus Swedish military medic's kit, everything is labeled in Swedish but all the items were still sealed and useable. I got a very puzzled look from the EMT who arrived at the auto accident scene mentioned above, but he never asked why I had Swedish pressure bandages.

Jojo

Unbelievable that not one website on pancreas issues ever mentioned meat tenderizer as an available, affordable alternative to buying enzyme pills or papayas.

Jojo

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 11, 2018, 11:56:33 AM
The contents should be a function of the kit's intended purpose and should only include items you know how/are trained to use.  The average commercially available kit should be sufficient for the scrapped knee/splinter in the finger type injuries the majority of homes have first aid kits to address.  Most people aren't trained to do much more than basic first aid anyway, dab on a little Neosporin and put on a bandaid.  Conversely, we have very eloborate medical kits both in our cars and at home because Mrs Duke in a long time RN with years of ER and ICU experience.  Without her I'd know how to effectively use little of it, but have had to break out the supplies on a couple occasions. The first time was at the scene of an auto accident, the second was after a good friend broke open post-operative stitches.  I've also had to give CPR and do the Heimlich Maneuver, thankfully only once each. 

The medical kit I carry in my truck is a surplus Swedish military medic's kit, everything is labeled in Swedish but all the items were still sealed and useable. I got a very puzzled look from the EMT who arrived at the auto accident scene mentioned above, but he never asked why I had Swedish pressure bandages.
George would say, "Swedish products?  Alright!  Where are the Swedish women!"

pate

...I would like to make up emergency bug out bags ...to keep in the car trunk ...stick in the corner of the garage...

Funny bug-out bag that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgY4Te0uFs

pate

Quote from: Jojo on February 11, 2018, 09:55:24 PM
... pancreas issues ...

First aID RESponders SHALL only deal with pancreas issues?

I'll have to change my kit accordingly...

Gunner890

If you need a first aid kit then you or someone else is hurt. So this should be in every kit.

As long as someone is hurt they may as well be happy.

Jojo

Quote from: Gunner890 on February 21, 2018, 05:34:31 PM
If you need a first aid kit then you or someone else is hurt. So this should be in every kit.

As long as someone is hurt they may as well be happy.
Next to the aspirin...

Dr. MD MD

Cyanide. Take it when your NWO tell you to. They're smart and know what's best. ;)

The Alcoholic

A proper kit should always have some of this for sure.

paladin1991

Quote from: The Alcoholic on April 06, 2019, 12:37:09 AM
A proper kit should always have some of this for sure.

plus 1.  Oh, wait, wrong corner of hell.