• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

USSC Justice Scalia Dead at 79

Started by VtaGeezer, February 13, 2016, 04:13:01 PM

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 05:38:43 PM
I wonder how they killed him. Looking forward to conspiracy theories. It is a shame that a single court holds so much power over society, in that I agree with Jefferson, but will be interesting times when it comes to appointments. I also hope all autopsy information is made public.

Scalia wrote this last year   "A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy," he wrote.

albrecht

Who would be a good candidate? Any lawyers or political speculators out there? I'm sure both Parties and Obama has a list because you never know when a Justice will die and many are old.

I wonder how they killed him. Looking forward to conspiracy theories. It is a shame that a single court holds so much power over society, in that I agree with Jefferson, but will be interesting times when it comes to appointments. I also hope all autopsy information is made public.

I suspect the culprit was time and too much grass fed beef and linguine.Justice Scalia, rest his soul, was nearly 80 and not known as health nut.

albrecht

Quote from: Showroom Dummy on February 13, 2016, 05:54:38 PM
Scalia wrote this last year   "A system of government that makes the People subordinate to a committee of nine unelected lawyers does not deserve to be called a democracy," he wrote.
I agree with him and Jefferson. The Court has far too much power and aggrandized itself far above what was intended. Having said that the Executive has far too much power also, Congress as well but, at least, we have some gridlock there.

So who are the potential candidates?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 13, 2016, 05:51:25 PM
What a shock. Antonin Scalia was one of my favorite Justices of all-time. A rock ribbed conservative, a man of God, and an interesting character. May God bless his soul.

Now, let's see if Caesar Obama executive orders Bill Ayers into the Supreme Court.

You're OK with Citizens United then? Seems like a great way to have other countries like China for example to sway our elections.

albrecht

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 13, 2016, 05:57:39 PM
You're OK with Citizens United then? Seems like a great way to have other countries like China for example to sway our elections.
Charlie Trie, Johnny Chung, et al have done so well before that decision. I'm more upset at the Kelo decision.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 05:54:41 PM
Who would be a good candidate? Any lawyers or political speculators out there? I'm sure both Parties and Obama has a list because you never know when a Justice will die and many are old.

Cruz would be the best choice if they can delay the nomination until Trump is sworn in.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 13, 2016, 05:57:39 PM

Yeah, I have no problem with that decision at all. It's just a matter of free speech. Propaganda is propaganda. No matter where it comes from and no matter what direction. The people ultimately have the obligation to sort through it and come to their own conclusions.

If Ray Bradbury were alive, I would nominate him for emergency USSC Justice.

Other than that, I got nothing.  :(

This election cycle has just gotten weird beyond weird.  And we're only in February.

(off topic:  I would prefer to kick the bucket a day later, on Saint Valentine's Day.  My little heart-shaped box would be a gift to an indifferent universe.  That, or on Halloween, like Houdini.)

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 05:57:02 PM
I agree with him and Jefferson. The Court has far too much power and aggrandized itself far above what was intended. Having said that the Executive has far too much power also, Congress as well but, at least, we have some gridlock there.

things can be held over to the next presidency since republicans hold the majority  and will not want obama being allowed to nominate anyone -one problem as you know is the court is usually split 4-4 with the ninth vote being very important -with the court voting for a year possibly with 8 justices this in itself is unprecedented which than leads to a another debate of the  balance of the court

Roswells, Art

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 06:00:22 PM
Charlie Trie, Johnny Chung, et al have done so well before that decision. I'm more upset at the Kelo decision.

I have to admit I had to look up all three of those and I agree with you on the Kelo decision. Maybe Citizens United opened up the floodgates to what was once a stream.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 13, 2016, 06:06:41 PM

Yeah, I have no problem with that decision at all. It's just a matter of free speech. Propaganda is propaganda. No matter where it comes from and no matter what direction. The people ultimately have the obligation to sort through it and come to their own conclusions.

I think it does matter because all this 'free speech' is coming from somewhere other than the U.S.

Please excuse my ignorance by the way on these matters. I used to be a political news junkie and made a serious effort to not be. I quit about 8 years ago.

136 or 142

This is the best news I've heard in a while. RIH POS Scalia. 

albrecht

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 13, 2016, 06:14:56 PM
I have to admit I had to look up all three of those and I agree with you on the Kelo decision. Maybe Citizens United opened up the floodgates to what was once a stream.

I think it does matter because all this 'free speech' is coming from somewhere other than the U.S.

Please excuse my ignorance by the way on these matters. I used to be a political news junkie and made a serious effort to not be. I quit about 8 years ago.
No worries, a lot of people (actually the majority) don't pay attention to politics or even vote, unfortunately (or, maybe not?)
Speaking of propaganda: you know it is now completely legal for the US government to use propaganda on us? Yep, Smith-Mundt Act over. Here is the CFR's paper on the subject:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/14/u-s-repeals-propaganda-ban-spreads-government-made-news-to-americans/

Jackstar

I wonder how they killed him.

I'm guessing barbeque sauce. I won't put money on that, though--that would be crass.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Showroom Dummy on February 13, 2016, 06:06:56 PM
things can be held over to the next presidency since republicans hold the majority  and will not want obama being allowed to nominate anyone -one problem as you know is the court is usually split 4-4 with the ninth vote being very important -with the court voting for a year possibly with 8 justices this in itself is unprecedented which than leads to a another debate of the  balance of the court

In cases they have agreed to hear, if they end up tied, they can either send the case back to the lower court, or allow the lower court's decision to stand (without setting precedent). This will be an interesting year. Texas has several cases on the docket this year.

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 05:57:02 PM

this maybe one who is considered
Sri Srinivasan  - a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit  -His Senate confirmation hearing on April 10, 2013, was uneventful. On June 11, 2012, Obama nominated Srinivasan to the seat on the D.C. Circuit. by a unanimous vote of 18 ayes to 0 nays. A final vote on his nomination took place on May 23, 2013, where he was confirmed

Roswells, Art

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 06:18:45 PM
No worries, a lot of people (actually the majority) don't pay attention to politics or even vote, unfortunately (or, maybe not?)
Speaking of propaganda: you know it is now completely legal for the US government to use propaganda on us? Yep, Smith-Mundt Act over. Here is the CFR's paper on the subject:
http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/14/u-s-repeals-propaganda-ban-spreads-government-made-news-to-americans/

In my defense I realized that it didn't matter one way or another whether I knew everything about current politics or not and knowing everything was depressing.

I haven't read that article but I will. I didn't know it had been illegal since I have been witnessing it my entire life. Thanks for the link.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 13, 2016, 06:18:22 PM
This is the best news I've heard in a while. RIH POS Scalia.

You are a moron. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on February 13, 2016, 05:54:41 PM

Dallas County Judge Tonya Parker.  First openly gay Justice of the Supreme Court.  Obama probably thinks that has a nice ring to it.

136 or 142

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 13, 2016, 06:39:19 PM
You are a moron.

I don't understand this need to only say nice things about a person when they die.  Scalia was pond scum in life and he's pond scum in death and I'm not going to hold off saying that just because he's dead. 

As a 'human' he loved the rich and hated the poor, and despite his equally phony claims of respect for the U.S Constitution those were the sole things he looked at in deciding his vote, not anything that the U.S Constitution actually said.

So, if you insist on phony politeness after a person has died, then, with respect, I think it's you who is the moron.

And, if you disagree with my comment because you think he was some 'brilliant constitutional scholar, again it's you who is the moron.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 13, 2016, 06:44:32 PM
I don't understand this need to only say nice things about a person when they die.  Scalia was pond scum in life and he's pond scum in death and I'm not going to hold off saying that just because he's dead. 

If you insist on phony politeness after a person has died, then, with respect, I think it's you who is the moron.
You are a moron. I'm not waiting until you die to say it.

Claudius

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 13, 2016, 06:44:32 PM

If you insist on phony politeness after a person has died, then, with respect, I think it's you who is the moron.
Why do you say he was pond scum? Do you simply disagree with his judicial opinion, or is there more to it than that?

136 or 142

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 13, 2016, 06:46:05 PM
You are a moron. I'm not waiting until you die to say it.

Well, I'll combine the two. You are a moron and I hope you die in the next few minutes.  The world can use less morons like you and Scalia.

136 or 142

Quote from: Claudius on February 13, 2016, 06:47:20 PM
Why do you say he was pond scum? Do you simply disagree with his judicial opinion, or is there more to it than that?

As a 'human' he loved the rich and hated the poor, and despite his equally phony claims of respect for the U.S Constitution those were the sole things he looked at in deciding his vote, not anything that the U.S Constitution actually said.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 13, 2016, 06:49:00 PM

Did you read about that in a Canadian newspaper? 

Claudius

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 13, 2016, 06:49:00 PM
Do you actually have proof of this claim? Because if you have actually read his dissents, interviews, and other writings it's pretty hard to support your claim. 

His stance in a nutshell most of the time was, "This issue shouldn't be decided by the court, this is an issue for the legislative to figure out."

136 or 142

Quote from: Claudius on February 13, 2016, 06:51:39 PM
Do you actually have proof of this claim? Because if you have actually read his dissents, interviews, and other writings it's pretty hard to support your claim. 

His stance in a nutshell most of the time was, "This issue shouldn't be decided by the court, this is an issue for the legislative to figure out."

Citizen's United?

He had no problem inserting his opinions over the legislature in support of his ideological views.

Do you have any proof of your claim?

136 or 142

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 13, 2016, 06:51:31 PM
Did you read about that in a Canadian newspaper?

Keep going.  Just keep providing evidence that you are a moron.

136 or 142

Apparently if Congress stops sitting, Obama if required could make a recess appointment to the Supreme Court until the end of his term.  I understand it doesn't take much to keep Congress in session to prevent that, but it would be nice to maybe keep a Rethuglic from the campaign trail.