• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

USSC Justice Scalia Dead at 79

Started by VtaGeezer, February 13, 2016, 04:13:01 PM

Quote from: AvDaBr on February 15, 2016, 12:58:44 AM
why Ruth Ginsburg, a Justice I am confident he adores, held Scalia in such high esteem.

Dat ass?

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 04:28:38 AM

There were three other (mostly) liberal judges on the Supreme Court. I don't believe any of them were his friend.

Good grief, stop lying. He was friends with ALL of them. He was even very popular in the Georgetown party circuit -- which, if you know anything about Washington, is where libs go to rub elbows with other libs.

136 or 142

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 15, 2016, 08:02:29 AM
Good grief, stop lying. He was friends with ALL of them. He was even very popular in the Georgetown party circuit -- which, if you know anything about Washington, is where libs go to rub elbows with other libs.

Was he?  I may be wrong. Care to cite any sources?

Even if that is the case, I fail to see what it proves.  So, he could be personally friendly with people, so what?  That doesn't change that he was a  mean spirited and vicious racist homophobe (I'm not sure he  was sexist as I had previously written) who believed that religious Americans (re Christians and Jews) deserved special treatment and who also believed that torture was an acceptable practice because....'24'.  It also doesn't change that he was hate-filled and prone to angry outbursts.

Charles Manson not only got along with people personally, he even had them follow him.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 15, 2016, 08:02:29 AM

I do wish, perhaps unrealistically, that people who are not Supreme Court justices could hold strong opinions on political matters and still be friendly otherwise and accept and appreciate their good qualities of those who believe differently.

I think people in general are pretty stupid and thus bend towards demonizing those that hold different opinions because they can't articulate a good defence of their own.  Or maybe because they just form opinions using emotion rather than reason.

albrecht

Obviously Obama is the initial suspect by many considering his quest for a "Presidential legacy" and stated goals to destroy 'fundamentally change' the country, not to mention the recent stay and, future possible decision, on his core policy 'war on coal,' but more likely it goes deeper and like many things plausible deniability and cut-out men. Right hand not knowing what the left hand doing and what not. There could also be several other scenarios, including foreign action considering the possible impact of a future Court decision with regard to the warming change Paris plans and other supra-national agreements or even more sundry reasons. Certainly the local JP will sort it out without an autopsy or viewing the body  :o

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 08:21:04 AM
Was he?  I may be wrong. Care to cite any sources?

I`ve listened to him talk, and listened to the other Justices talk. Scalia never made anything personal. He thoroughly  enjoyed the friendship of his fellow Justices regardless of their ideological slant. The words of his colleagues on his passing say it all:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/14/statements-supreme-court-death-justice-scalia/80375976/

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 08:27:21 AM
Projection.

You see, that's not good. 'Projection' like a lot of fashionable attempted ripostes is used to try and well, I'm not sure. Final word?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 15, 2016, 08:36:46 AM

You see, that's not good. 'Projection' like a lot of fashionable attempted ripostes is used to try and well, I'm not sure. Final word?

He's unquestionably a last word queen.  The last word typically being about it not being worth his valuable time to argue with someone.  A point he might make a half dozen times.

albrecht

Quote from: FearBoysWithBugs on February 15, 2016, 08:25:12 AM
I do wish, perhaps unrealistically, that people who are not Supreme Court justices could hold strong opinions on political matters and still be friendly otherwise and accept and appreciate their good qualities of those who believe differently.

I think people in general are pretty stupid and thus bend towards demonizing those that hold different opinions because they can't articulate a good defence of their own.  Or maybe because they just form opinions using emotion rather than reason.
Very common. Though, to be a devil's advocate, some (on the 'right' and 'left,') would say that is a part of the problem in that much in the legal and political profession is simply theater, or to put it more on a level of the common-man understanding- 'professional' wrestling.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 08:40:58 AM
No, I am.  It's you who are wrong.

You don't have any sense of humour, do you?  I thought so before and this confirms it.  Just go suck on a lemon or something, Ms. Sourpuss

136 or 142

Quote from: FearBoysWithBugs on February 15, 2016, 08:38:12 AM
He's unquestionably a last word queen.  The last word typically being about it not being worth his valuable time to argue with someone.  A point he might make a half dozen times.

I respond when commented on.  So do you.  I actually only commented to see if you had placed me on ignore.

It was actually Mr Holier-Than-Thou who said that I wasn't worth his valuable time and I replied to him that he should follow his own advice (or something like that.)

The only thing I said to you was that you should crawl back under your rock.  If you want to keep commenting to me or about me from there, go ahead.

Quote from: FearBoysWithBugs on February 15, 2016, 08:25:12 AM

Mature people of different political beliefs are more than capable of getting along together and, in fact, forging meaningful friendships.

I`m as conservative as they come, meanwhile,  I`m a very strict vegan and contribute money and time to animal activist causes. As you might imagine, that puts me in contact with a large number of very liberal folks, many of which are close friends, despite our political differences.

It`s unfortunate that this 136-143 cat is deranged by his hatred for anybody who has the faintest whiff of conservatism about them. It`s just a lack of maturity.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 08:40:58 AM
No, I am.  It's you who are wrong.

You can't construct a correct sentence; It's 'Yes, I am'; it therefore begs how you ascertain someone else is wrong on a point of opinion. But feel free to try...

136 or 142

Quote from: FearBoysWithBugs on February 15, 2016, 08:42:50 AM
You don't have any sense of humour, do you?  I thought so before and this confirms it.  Just go suck on a lemon or something, Ms. Sourpuss

I actually have a decent sense of humor.  I just don't find you humorous.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 15, 2016, 08:45:09 AM

You can't construct a correct sentence; It's 'Yes, I am'; it therefore begs how you ascertain someone else is wrong on a point of opinion. But feel free to try...
You are very close to the common error of misusing "beg the question" here.  ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 08:44:45 AM
I respond when commented on.  So do you.  I actually only commented to see if you had placed me on ignore.

It was actually Mr Holier-Than-Thou who said that I wasn't worth his valuable time and I replied to him that he should follow his own advice (or something like that.)

The only thing I said to you was that you should crawl back under your rock.  If you want to keep commenting to me or about me from there, go ahead.

Did you say elsewhere that you taught students? Or did I misread it? If I didn't, I hope your students have more common sense and maturity than you have.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on February 15, 2016, 08:46:38 AM
You are very close to the common error of misusing "beg the question" here.  ;)

In Yorkshire, we're all common... It's compulsory.  :)

136 or 142

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 15, 2016, 08:45:09 AM

Whatever.  My expertise is numbers. Innumeracy is a lot worse than illiteracy and is also much more serious.

For instance, whatever grammatical error I may have made, I think you understood my point.  But, if you get a decimal in the wrong place, it can have significant consequences.

136 or 142

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 15, 2016, 08:47:54 AM

Did you say elsewhere that you taught students? Or did I misread it? If I didn't, I hope your students have more common sense and maturity than you have.

No, I've never taught students.  Are you judging my common sense and maturity on the basis of my grammar?

Your pedantry doesn't suggest to me much maturity on your part either.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 15, 2016, 08:48:53 AM

In Yorkshire, we're all common... It's compulsory.  :)
Oh Lord, tell the young people today how bad your childhood was- they wouldn't believe it!  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 08:49:12 AM
if you get a decimal in the wrong place, it can have significant consequences.
But, if you are a government or even sometimes a company, though there one risks some possible sanction, you can always 'adjust' the numbers and report later. Usually on a Friday or before a holiday or if there is an election pending.

136 or 142

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 15, 2016, 08:45:02 AM

Mature people of different political beliefs are more than capable of getting along together and, in fact, forging meaningful friendships.

I`m as conservative as they come, meanwhile,  I`m a very strict vegan and contribute money and time to animal activist causes. As you might imagine, that puts me in contact with a large number of very liberal folks, many of which are close friends, despite our political differences.

It`s unfortunate that this 136-143 cat is deranged by his hatred for anybody who has the faintest whiff of conservatism about them. It`s just a lack of maturity.

From looking at your more recent comments here you seem to have matured significantly in the past few months.

For instance, you wrote this, to of all people, Yorshire Pudding last August:

"My God, are you ever dense. China was the greatest benefactor of post-war Iraq contracts, and EVERYBODY knows it....but you, apparently.

And please stop your nauseating demagoguery. You freaking spineless worm. You make me ill."

So, would you consider the Fight the Future from August of 2015 to be mature, friendly and accepting of people who disagree with you?

I hadn't been here since around August, so maybe I would have gotten along with you given the comments you've made since then.

I actually only commented to see if you had placed me on ignore.

That is side-splittingly hilarious.  You actually said that?  Oh em gee.

The only thing I said to you was that you should crawl back under your rock. 

Shreddy is right, you are a cliche vending machine.

136 or 142

Quote from: FearBoysWithBugs on February 15, 2016, 08:59:51 AM
That is side-splittingly hilarious.  You actually said that?  Oh em gee.

Shreddy is right, you are a cliche vending machine.

Not so, my full quote was:

"You should crawl back under your rock...and roll away."

(But, if he's under a rock, how can he roll away?")

Quote from: 136 or 142 on February 15, 2016, 09:01:48 AM
Not so, my full quote was:

"You should crawl back under your rock...and roll away."

(But, if he's under a rock, how can he roll away?")

Keep polishing that turd, buddie.  It's important that we understand how right you always are.