• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Piers Morgan and the bible

Started by SR-71, December 28, 2012, 03:59:30 PM

SR-71

Piers Morgan said on his show that the bible is out of date and needs to be updated. I disagree with him.  The bible is just fine. The bible remains number one for all time books sales.  I just dont know whats his problem is.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SR-71 on December 28, 2012, 03:59:30 PM
Piers Morgan said on his show that the bible is out of date and needs to be updated. I disagree with him.  The bible is just fine. The bible remains number one for all time books sales.  I just dont know whats his problem is.

Maybe he meant re-catagorising? Putting on the shelf under 'fantasy novels'?

stevesh

Quote from: SR-71 on December 28, 2012, 03:59:30 PM
I just dont know whats his problem is.

His problem is that he's an attention whore. If Drudge, Fox News and The Blaze would just ignore the dumb son of a bitch when he does stuff like this, he'll probably go away.

onan

The bible is inherently flawed... from the simple a bat is a bird, and snakes eat dirt. Inherently flawed from the more complex: the different versions on Noah bringing creatures on two by two or clean animals in sevens and unclean in single pairings. From the sermon on the mount or the sermon on a flat area.

A god that is kind and loving and a god terrifying and vengeful... all of it sounds more like the ramblings of a sky-is-falling snake oil salesman.

liseski

There sure seems to be a lot of fascination with Morgan south of the 49th parallel. Everything he says is now breathless media fodder
I can just bet he is loving it. Any "journalist" that cut his teeth on the British Tabs will get a warm feeling every time they stir up the masses. He isn't stupid, either. He knows just what buttons to push. My best advice would be to stop being predictable.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on January 02, 2013, 12:56:39 PM
The bible is inherently flawed...

As much as human beings are.  Whatever perspective you take, the bible is a testimony to humankind's frailty, inconsistency, and anthropological yearning for a higher understanding and cultural evolution.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: liseski on January 11, 2013, 01:11:32 PM
My best advice would be to stop being predictable.

This takes a degree of self-reflection that is not common.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Marc knight on January 11, 2013, 01:37:02 PM

Buddism? Now strictly it's a philosophy not a religion.

liseski

Quote from: Marc knight on January 11, 2013, 01:37:02 PM

And, in the interests of full disclosure, easy for me to say at the moment. It isn't a button that typically nails Canadians.

onan

Quote from: Marc knight on January 11, 2013, 01:34:31 PM

As much as human beings are.  Whatever perspective you take, the bible is a testimony to humankind's frailty, inconsistency, and anthropological yearning for a higher understanding and cultural evolution.

I am not sure what your point is. I agree human beings are flawed. The contention of many is the bible is a fount of exacting knowledge... and it isn't. Most of the stories are told in other cultures from earlier times.

Yes the bible is filled with hope. It is also filled with despair and the likely prospect of a wrathful god.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on January 11, 2013, 01:46:50 PM

The contention of many is the bible is a fount of exacting knowledge... and it isn't.

My point is the same as yours... and the fact that the flawed, diversified nature of the bible contributes to its beauty as a textual mirror of human experiences, real and mythical.  The exacting knowledge folks tend to be the same ones who want anything but exacting knowledge in science.

ItsOver

Piers Morgan is a shameless hack and needs to shipped back in a crate to the hole he crawled out of.

liseski

Quote from: ItsOver link=http://coastgab.com/Themes/default/images/bbc/italicize.giftopic=3764.msg95074#msg95074 date=1357934127
Piers Morgan is a shameless hack and needs to shipped back in a crate to the hole he crawled out of.

Well, that is obviously not going to happen. CNN has got to be wetting itself in excitement with all the publicity he is creating. Ratings are King....
Besides, I am not sure that the UK wants him back.

onan

Quote from: Marc knight on January 11, 2013, 01:52:43 PM

My point is the same as yours... and the fact that the flawed, diversified nature of the bible contributes to its beauty as a textual mirror of human experiences, real and mythical.  The exacting knowledge folks tend to be the same ones who want anything but exacting knowledge in science.

The best analogy I have heard explaining the bible is: The bible is like a mountain. It is made of many, many stones. Most people pick up a few rocks that are easy to carry and profess to know the mountain.

And as usual Mark, you synthesize the humanity in a few sentences.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on January 11, 2013, 02:06:25 PM

The best analogy I have heard explaining the bible is: The bible is like a mountain. It is made of many, many stones. Most people pick up a few rocks that are easy to carry and profess to know the mountain.

Yes, and those with profound humility, self-sacrifice and poverty of spirit contribute a rock or two to the mountain throughout their lives.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: liseski on January 11, 2013, 02:01:35 PM
Well, that is obviously not going to happen. CNN has got to be wetting itself in excitement with all the publicity he is creating. Ratings are King....

Oh I don't know; Her maj's constabulary might want a little word in his ear.. And Jeremy Clarkson might want to twat him again just for fun.  :) 

Sardondi

Quote from: liseski on January 11, 2013, 02:01:35 PM

Dunno about CNN wetting itself over ratings, because the primetime cable news ratings for Thursday January 10 are out and CNN is still dead last, even behind MSNBC. Piers himself pulls a paltry 783,000 viewers per show, last of every competitor except for CNN bunkie Anderson Cooper who can pull only 611,000. FNN of course has the top 4 shows in all cable news, and 6 out of the top 8 slots. Fox leads by a significant measure, with O'Reilly as the top cable news show, drawing 3,162,000 per night. With Fox's top show beating CNN's best by over a factor of 4, and Fox's worst show almost doubling what Piers can draw, I wouldn't think CNN is wetting itself, at least not in excitement.

Quote from: Sardondi on January 12, 2013, 04:53:05 AM
... Piers...

Perhaps he could jump start ratings by discussing the Koran

Sardondi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 12, 2013, 05:18:29 AM

Perhaps he could jump start ratings by discussing the Koran

No, Piers is much too smart to do that: he insults a religion only if a) it is essentially Western, and b) the odds are its adherents won't cut off his head in retaliation. Pretty much the media standard.

Sardondi

Quote from: Sardondi on January 12, 2013, 04:53:05 AM
Dunno about CNN wetting itself over ratings, because the primetime cable news ratings for Thursday January 10 are out and CNN is still dead last, even behind MSNBC. Piers himself pulls a paltry 783,000 viewers per show, last of every competitor except for CNN bunkie Anderson Cooper who can pull only 611,000. FNN of course has the top 4 shows in all cable news, and 6 out of the top 8 slots. Fox leads by a significant measure, with O'Reilly as the top cable news show, drawing 3,162,000 per night. With Fox's top show beating CNN's best by over a factor of 4, and Fox's worst show almost doubling what Piers can draw, I wouldn't think CNN is wetting itself, at least not in excitement.

Ordinarily I wouldn't quote myself, but in this case I think it's directly relevant to whether Piers Morgan might find himself on the short end of the law of law of diminishing marginal utility. As we see from the quote above, viewership ratings for 1/10/13 were hard indeed on CNN, as its Morgan and Anderson Cooper came in dead last in cable news shows. Brave Sir Piers drew 783,000 viewers to Cooper's 611,000.

But it turns out that was a good week for Piers and CNN. Because the figures for yesterday, Wednesday, January 16, have come in. And we see that after Piers has had one more week to tell America how to think and act, that he drew....only 592,000 viewers. That's down from 783,000 the week before. Ouch. Piers lost almost ¼ of his audience. And in only one week. That's staggering. Even Anderson Cooper drew 12,000 more than Piers. Double ouch. And to make it just perfect for Piers, the hated Bill O'Reilly over Fox News picked up another 200,000 viewers, drawing 3,356,000 viewers this week, up from 3,152,000 last week.

Stupid Americans. Still, it's got to sting Brave Sir Piers.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Sardondi on January 17, 2013, 11:58:57 PM
But it turns out that was a good week for Piers and CNN. Because the figures for yesterday, Wednesday, January 16, have come in. And we see that after Piers has had one more week to tell America how to think and act,

Though I'm no fan of Morgan, he was stating his opinion. He hasn't questioned the 2nd ammendment, or told anyone how to think. Sure, he made the mistake in trying to conduct a rational interview with Alex Jones, because that wasn't ever going to happen.

that he drew....only 592,000 viewers. That's down from 783,000 the week before. Ouch. Piers lost almost ¼ of his audience. And in only one week. That's staggering. Even Anderson Cooper drew 12,000 more than Piers. Double ouch. And to make it just perfect for Piers, the hated Bill O'Reilly over Fox News picked up another 200,000 viewers, drawing 3,356,000 viewers this week, up from 3,152,000 last week.

This is the achilles heel of commercial televison and radio; it answers to the shareholders at the expense of intellectual integrity. It has to appeal to the lowest common denominator..I've watched television in several countries, and US television is by and large garbage..second in my opinion to Italy. Having said that, the US produces gems of TV, off the top of my head; Hill Street Blues, Taxi, Soap (The series), Big Bang Theory..I never watched it, but Friends was huge in the UK too. Our BBC (which is exported to the USA), is paid since it's inception decades ago via a license to use the reciever (Televison set). And this means that it is constrained by the budget; it doesn't have the financial resources such as the Murdochs can command, but neither is it shackled by what it can and can't say about a product or company if that company is paying for advertising. It has it's critics (sometimes with very good reason), but when the BBC produces, it produces some of the best (if not the best) televison in the world. Drama, wildlife, science, documentary, investigative journalism, comedy and so on. It also has fantastic radio scheduling. Morgan wouldn't have been given the same show he has on CNN, on the BBC. He's been on UK commercial televison though. he wouldn't be on the BBC because a) he'd want too much money, and they wouldn't pay him-he's not worth it! b) There are a few in the BBC who would likely protest; scores to be settled etc..

Stupid Americans. Still, it's got to sting Brave Sir Piers.

It would be interesting to know which demograph has turned him off? The intelligent, the average, the dim, or the ones who can barely grunt, but see anyone born outside their town as foreign. Or if it's across the board? I really don't see Piers Morgan getting a knighthood anytime soon, certainly not as long as he has a hole in his arse.

popple

It needs more page 6 centerfolds!