• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

be "ready to fight [North Korea] tonight,"

Started by albrecht, October 08, 2016, 10:02:14 AM

ChicagoGal

Someone made a good suggestion to me recently; instead of retaliating and dropping an atomic bomb on North Korea, we should drop a few thousand iPhones with access to any news or social media site so that citizens, who've been brainwashed, could find out for themselves how corrupt the nation is for themselves. Maybe then they will take down the dictatorship and stop any further bomb threats. This is somewhat far fetched, but it gave me a good laugh at least

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ChicagoGal on November 29, 2017, 02:37:25 PM
Someone made a good suggestion to me recently; instead of retaliating and dropping an atomic bomb on North Korea, we should drop a few thousand iPhones with access to any news or social media site so that citizens, who've been brainwashed, could find out for themselves how corrupt the nation is for themselves. Maybe then they will take down the dictatorship and stop any further bomb threats. This is somewhat far fetched, but it gave me a good laugh at least

Great! So they'll stop being brainwashed by the Kim Jongs and start being brainwashed by the NYT and WaPo and the rest of the MSM? I'm not sure which is the worse fate.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 29, 2017, 02:11:55 PM
Another case of geopolitical expediency forming odd alliances, a fanatically religious society aligned with a doctrinal atheistic nation state.  The hard currency the NKs gains from selling technology to Iran is probably foremost in their minds, sticking it to the US is just a bonus.

A few years back the Iranians sent warships off the US east coast, from what I read they were in poor condition and unreliable. I remember the term "sitting ducks" being used.  I would be interested to see an assessment of their ability to logistically support their ships away from the Persian Gulf and land based maintenance.

It would appear that one of the Iranians purposes may be to be acquire a logistics base in the area.  They no doubt will have secured access to port facilities in “friendly nations.”   This could be followed by a request for basing rights and the deployment of a tender to that port to give them an upkeep capability which would support a permanent presence off the coast of the U.S.  Whether or not the U.S. could/would  invoke  the Monroe Doctrine to prevent this is a question.

“Our fleet of warships will be sent to the Atlantic Ocean in the near future and will visit one of the friendly states in South America and the Gulf of Mexico,” Rear Adm. Hossein Khanzadi said, according to The Jerusalem Post.”

https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/iran-promises-to-send-warships-to-gulf-of-mexico/

Taaroa

Quote from: ChicagoGal on November 29, 2017, 02:37:25 PM

If I remember rightly, they already do things like this - dropping DVDs, leaflets, and possibly simcards. Then you have radio and television broadcasts entering from other countries and the loudspeakers set up along the border blasting K-Pop songs into North Korea (the recent defector even mentioned enjoying this).

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on November 29, 2017, 03:57:22 PM
It would appear that one of the Iranians purposes may be to be acquire a logistics base in the area.  They no doubt will have secured access to port facilities in “friendly nations.”   This could be followed by a request for basing rights and the deployment of a tender to that port to give them an upkeep capability which would support a permanent presence off the coast of the U.S.  Whether or not the U.S. could/would  invoke  the Monroe Doctrine to prevent this is a question.

“Our fleet of warships will be sent to the Atlantic Ocean in the near future and will visit one of the friendly states in South America and the Gulf of Mexico,” Rear Adm. Hossein Khanzadi said, according to The Jerusalem Post.”

https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/iran-promises-to-send-warships-to-gulf-of-mexico/

The Venezuelan economy is as much a dumpster fire as that of NK, and they'd enjoy sticking it to us as well. 

paladin1991

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 29, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
During the buildup to Desert Storm, Mrs. Duke (USAF civil service intensive care nurse) was part of an IPT preparing her hospital for US casualties.  The briefings they received gave predicted casualties in excess of even the dire numbers being bandied about by pundits, with discussions about working double and triple shifts and where they could store coffins and body bags.  Thankfully casualties were unexpectedly light.

I remember those days, somebody was screeching about 500,000 casualties or some such back here in the US.  During the buildup the SNCO's were being prepped with 'Chances are good not everybody is going home.....blah,blah,blah.'   *shrug*     

Kidnostad3

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 29, 2017, 05:11:08 PM
I remember those days, somebody was screeching about 500,000 casualties or some such back here in the US.  During the buildup the SNCO's were being prepped with 'Chances are good not everybody is going home.....blah,blah,blah.'   *shrug*   

If I recall correctly, even D-day casualties were considerably lighter than was feared.  I think they go with worse case so as not to minimize.

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on November 29, 2017, 03:57:22 PM
...  Whether or not the U.S. could/would  invoke  the Monroe Doctrine to prevent this is a question...

Traitors John Kerry and Berock Obama revoked the Monroe Doctrine.  Trump ought to reinstate it.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2013/11/20/kerry-says-monroe-doctrine-governing-latin-american-relations-over 

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 29, 2017, 05:09:07 PM
The Venezuelan economy is as much a dumpster fire as that of NK, and they'd enjoy sticking it to us as well.

Yup.  That’s the first country that came to mind.  I believe I heard Nicaragua mentioned somewhere also.

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on November 29, 2017, 06:13:31 PM
Yup.  That’s the first country that came to mind.  I believe I heard Nicaragua mentioned somewhere also.

Cuba's always ready to make trouble.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on November 29, 2017, 06:25:09 PM
Cuba's always ready to make trouble.

Yeah, and if they were to set up in Cuba notwithstanding our base in GITMO, it would be an additional insult. 

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on November 29, 2017, 06:34:51 PM

Yeah, and if they were to set up in Cuba notwithstanding our base in GITMO, it would be an additional insult.
And the Left's media would spin it as the Cuban situation deteriorating because President Trump rescinded some of Barak's pro-Cuban policies and Trump's anti illegal immigration policies.

Kidnostad3

A naval blockade to interdict contraban cargo is the next logical step and would be a BFD.

https://youtu.be/P0eMik1BXEg

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on November 29, 2017, 06:54:06 PM
And the Left's media would spin it as the Cuban situation deteriorating because President Trump rescinded some of Barak's pro-Cuban policies and Trump's anti illegal immigration policies.

No doubt.

Juan

Iran has a long-standing relationship with Venezuela. It has built a tractor plant there and a cement factory.  If they were to build a missle base, about half of the US would be in range of missles they had a decade ago.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Juan on December 02, 2017, 04:40:26 PM
Iran has a long-standing relationship with Venezuela. It has built a tractor plant there and a cement factory.  If they were to build a missle base, about half of the US would be in range of missles they had a decade ago.

Didn’t know about Iran’s investment in Venezuela but not surprising.  They are both OPEC countries and have interests in common especially in their hatred of the U.S. 

Uncle Duke

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/188920/f_22-grounded-on-arrival-in-south-korea.html

An a/c needing a bulldozer to scrape it off the runway is news.  Needing a tug to tow it in for post flight maintenance, not so much.

Hog

I realize that the "duck and cover" drills are fodder for many jokes, but in reality such actions really help to decrease the likelihood of injury from a nuclear blast.  There was a teacher in Chelyabinsk who commanded her class to get away from the windows and take cover after she noticed the meteor trail by her school.  Minutes later when the shockwave finally struck, many who didn't take cover suffered from lacerations from flying glass.

Obviously such measures are useless for direct hits or for fallout, but a properly detonated warhead, which will detonate at altitude, as this is a more effective blast to surface targets, supplies much less radioactive fallout than a surface detonation.

BTW There are 66 days until the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang South Korea.

peace
Hog

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Hog on December 04, 2017, 10:29:51 AM
I realize that the "duck and cover" drills are fodder for many jokes, but in reality such actions really help to decrease the likelihood of injury from a nuclear blast.  There was a teacher in Chelyabinsk who commanded her class to get away from the windows and take cover after she noticed the meteor trail by her school.  Minutes later when the shockwave finally struck, many who didn't take cover suffered from lacerations from flying glass.

Obviously such measures are useless for direct hits or for fallout, but a properly detonated warhead, which will detonate at altitude, as this is a more effective blast to surface targets, supplies much less radioactive fallout than a surface detonation.

peace
Hog

What we may have here is a convenient convergence of events.  I doubt If anything will happen prior to or during the Olympics or before dependents are evacuated.  The big influx and outflux of foreigners attending the Olympics would provide good cover for an evacuation of non combatants.  I would also look for many U.S. Citizens living in S. Korea to be visiting their families in the states over the Holidays and not being in a hurry to return.

paladin1991

Quote from: Hog on December 04, 2017, 10:29:51 AM

peace
Hog

Get a refund on your tickets.

Now.