• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight and Speculation

Started by Up All Night, March 08, 2014, 08:33:46 PM

Up All Night

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing carrying 239 onboard was reported missing after the crew failed to check in as scheduled while flying over the sea between Malaysia and Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, according to published reports.

Plane missing for 2 days....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26502268

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26492748

albrecht

Quote from: Up All Night on March 08, 2014, 08:33:46 PM
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing carrying 239 onboard was reported missing after the crew failed to check in as scheduled while flying over the sea between Malaysia and Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, according to published reports.

Plane missing for 2 days....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26502268

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26492748
Yeah, horrible no matter what happened. Weird deal about the stolen passports (why would they not be alerted in security though I know security is not as "robust", and bs, as the USA's TSA but still basic flags on a stolen passport should alert security (and the airlines via ticketing and purchasing.)

Uncle Duke

This has "bomb" written all over it, even before story of the stolen passports.  The B777 is one of the safest a/c flying today, can't believe there was any type of structural or mechanical/electrical  issue involved.  Weather apparently wasn't an issue, either.  Also interesting to note this a/c was flying in the general vicinity where several nations have territorial/airspace disputes, although I think there is an extremely low probablity the airliner was shot down through military action. 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 08, 2014, 10:32:16 PM
Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim nation.

But with a representative, secular government and a fairly pro-Western stance throughout its history as an independant nation.  Besides, Islam doesn't have a monopoly on homocidal manics and mass murders.

FallenSeraph

Am I the only one who's secretly hoping they crossed a time barrier?  :(

http://youtu.be/5RuIrMADj9U
Twilight Zone â€" The Odyssey of Flight 33

onan

Quote from: Seraphim27 on March 08, 2014, 11:25:41 PM

I was thinking Tommyknockers

EDIT...

oops yeppers it is the Langoliers.

HorrorRetro

The Langoliers.

It's a terrible event. No matter what the cause, the outcome is awful.  :(

Any news if anyone influential was on this flight? Like bankers or politicians?

George Drooly

Although I could see him worming his way into a cockpit, getting chummy with the crew -- then bumping a switch and down she goes

Heather Wade

Quote from: Seraphim27 on March 08, 2014, 11:25:41 PM

Nope.  That, or someone on board had a time machine and flipped the switch mid-flight.

Yorkshire pud

Gratifying* to read flippant rubbish and wishes by one of the death of someone they've never met.. they haven't even found the wreckage yet.

*no, not really.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 08, 2014, 10:46:23 PM
But with a representative, secular government and a fairly pro-Western stance throughout its history as an independant nation.  Besides, Islam doesn't have a monopoly on homocidal manics and mass murders.

Yeah Duke, but that isn't what the racist right want to read. Can't you modify it then they'll be good to go on a proper rant?

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on March 08, 2014, 11:26:35 PM
I was thinking Tommyknockers

EDIT...

oops yeppers it is the Langoliers.

Art often talks about the Langoliers in classic episodes from the 90s.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 08, 2014, 10:46:23 PM

That is all true, but at the same time it doesn't take a government or an entire nation to bring down a jet - a handful will do. 

And there are plenty of radical Jihadi Muslims in Malaysia.  Not to mention airport workers who may be predisposed to perhaps scrutinize fellow Muslims less than they should.

I dunno, I think these rats have earned a place at the top of any list of suspects.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 09, 2014, 01:23:36 AM
Yeah Duke, but that isn't what the racist right want to read...

Yet time and again, it turns out to be the Muslims. 

Just this week, a handful of them killed a couple dozen Chinese and injured over 100 more with knives.  The victims were waiting for a commuter train.  The Western Media reported the story on the back page, then buried it.

By the way, what 'race' is Islam?

George Drooly

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 09, 2014, 01:19:29 AM
Gratifying* to read flippant rubbish and wishes by one of the death of someone they've never met...

If you're talking about me -- how do you have any fucking idea whether I've met Noory or not? Get bent, schoolmarm.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 09, 2014, 02:34:36 AM

Yet time and again, it turns out to be the Muslims. 

Just this week, a handful of them killed a couple dozen Chinese and injured over 100 more with knives.  The victims were waiting for a commuter train.  The Western Media reported the story on the back page, then buried it.
Yes, and what would you say to the people of Afghanistan? Or Iraq? Or Vietnam in the 60's and 70's? Or Grenada in the 80's? Or any other nation whose citizens consider US intervention 'spreading frdm' as terrorism? As yet there is no indication whatsoever how the aircraft came down, but you automatically assume it's Muslims. You really should work for one of the alphabet agencies.

By the way, what 'race' is Islam?

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 08, 2014, 10:32:16 PM
Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim nation. 

It isn't, Malaysia is part of Asia though. But it's irrelevant to your premise that anyone not you or like you is intrinsically bad and wrong, and should know their place.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: George Drooly on March 09, 2014, 03:16:55 AM
If you're talking about me -- how do you have any fucking idea whether I've met Noory or not? Get bent, schoolmarm.

Going on the assumption you have, you wish him dead? Says a lot.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 09, 2014, 02:29:44 AM

That is all true, but at the same time it doesn't take a government or an entire nation to bring down a jet - a handful will do. 

And there are plenty of radical Jihadi Muslims in Malaysia.  Not to mention airport workers who may be predisposed to perhaps scrutinize fellow Muslims less than they should.

I dunno, I think these rats have earned a place at the top of any list of suspects.

The point of my post was, at least at this juncture in the investigation, there is no clear cut answer as to how (or if) the race/creed of a supposed bomber might have played into any such act.  Yes, Muslims kill Muslims everyday, either because they are not Muslim enough or because they either are or support the wrong flavor of Islam.  No question in my mind some radical Muslim group could be behind the bombing of this aircraft, murdering or sacrificing co-religionists for reasons most of us in the West might not understand even if it was explained to us.

On the other hand, Malaysia is a true melting point of a nation where differences in race, culture, ethic background, creed, class, and even tribal-ish issues have been known to bubble up and create strife from within a country that is more of a loose federation than it is a homogenous nation-state.  Oh, and let's not forget such an act could be the work of a foreign government or movement looking to avenge some real or imagined slight from years ago.  Like I stated previsiously, Muslims don't have a monopoly on homocidal manics and mass-murders.

All that said, to my knowledge no group has claimed resposibility for the destruction of th a/c.  Often in such cases, multiple sources will claim responsiblity for actions they would like others to believe they had the capability/balls to commit to fortify their terror "street cred".  Other times no one will raise their hand to acknowledge such actions for fear of a counter-strike that could put them on the skids or even out of business in one fell swoop.  Principle only goes some far in some cases.

Claim. Counter-claim.  Finger pointing.  Diplomatic flurries. Sabre rattling.  The next month or so  is going to be newsworthy, but sadly we may never really know the full truth behind this tragedy.

Over 60% of the population in Malaysia are Muslims. Islam also happens to be the official State religion. Although there is a large section of the population that is Buddhist (about 20%), and in fact, Malaysia is very tolerant of all religious faiths.

Malaysia is a beautiful place, with an incredibly diverse population; I`ve been there several times. I always found the Maylays to be genuinely warm and friendly.

Ms. C

Oh yes, these two flashed through my mind when I first heard this ...

Twilight Zone â€" The Odyssey of Flight 33 and/or
Langoliers

I am even hoping that a UFO zoomed them off somewhere and they are all same ...

I must admit, this did strike me out as weird -- that an Austin TX company had 20 employees on board ....
http://www.kvue.com/home/Austin-based-company-has-20-passengers-on-missing-Malaysia-flight--249148671.html

About Freescale Semiconductor

Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL) is a global leader in embedded processing solutions, providing industry leading products that are advancing the automotive, consumer, industrial and networking markets. From microprocessors and microcontrollers to sensors, analog integrated circuits and connectivity â€" our technologies are the foundation for the innovations that make our world greener, safer, healthier and more connected. Some of our key applications and end-markets include automotive safety, hybrid and all-electric vehicles, next generation wireless infrastructure, smart energy management, portable medical devices, consumer appliances and smart mobile devices.

RcCle

http://nationalreport.net/aliens-abduct-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370/

Even Cessnas have an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) which activates on impact (Sometimes on a hard landing!).  I would assume that a commercial airliner would have something similar which would be able to withstand an explosion...

Ben Shockley

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 09, 2014, 07:58:41 AM
Malaysia is a beautiful place, with an incredibly diverse population; I`ve been there several times. I always found the Maylays to be genuinely warm and friendly.
From FTF, I welcome that admission of human diversity.

But why is this a big story?  If y'all are thinking that the plane was hijacked by bad guys to come crash into your Wal-Mart -- where is it and how/where will it re-fuel..?
...I can imagine Ted Cruz, in the Well of the Senate, this October, oh-so-solemnly intoning "...we don't KNOW where that plane is... it could be above this building right now..."

FallenSeraph

Quote from: Ms. C on March 09, 2014, 08:40:14 AM

I must admit, this did strike me out as weird -- that an Austin TX company had 20 employees on board ....
http://www.kvue.com/home/Austin-based-company-has-20-passengers-on-missing-Malaysia-flight--249148671.html

About Freescale Semiconductor

Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL) is a global leader in embedded processing solutions, providing industry leading products that are advancing the automotive, consumer, industrial and networking markets. From microprocessors and microcontrollers to sensors, analog integrated circuits and connectivity â€" our technologies are the foundation for the innovations that make our world greener, safer, healthier and more connected. Some of our key applications and end-markets include automotive safety, hybrid and all-electric vehicles, next generation wireless infrastructure, smart energy management, portable medical devices, consumer appliances and smart mobile devices.

That IS kind of weird. And regardless of whether it has any relevance, John B. Wells and Clyde Lewis are dancing with glee right now.  ;)

Uncle Duke

Quote from: RcCle on March 09, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
http://nationalreport.net/aliens-abduct-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370/

Even Cessnas have an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) which activates on impact (Sometimes on a hard landing!).  I would assume that a commercial airliner would have something similar which would be able to withstand an explosion...

No ELT signals have been detected, could be a function of ocean depth where it settled. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on March 09, 2014, 03:57:57 AM
... It isn't, Malaysia is part of Asia though. But it's irrelevant to your premise that anyone not you or like you is intrinsically bad and wrong, and should know their place.

If your goal is to become a troll, you've been successful lately.

I've been to Malaysia, clean, quiet, friendly, fantastic food, it's one of the places I liked most. 

Doesn't mean there aren't a few shitheels there. 

The northeastern islands border the troubled areas of the Philippines - where they have their own problems with the Muslims - and those islands provide secure hideouts for the Philippine Muslim terrorist leaders.   The southernmost provinces of Thailand border on Malaysia - where the Thai's are having trouble with their own Muslim terrorists, who go back and forth over the border there.

Birdie

I saw a news story a week or two ago about a N. Korean missile narrowly missing a passenger jet. That was my first thought when I read this story last night, although probably unlikely.
The stolen passports are concerning, but folks steal passports and leave countries under assumed identites for many reasons. If you are going to blow up a plane, why hide your identity? Unless you are already known as a threat. In the past, highjackers have been unknowns and have had no problems getting through airport security. I tend to think the stolen passports on the flight are a coincidence.